|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
QFIELD game running on Deck, some input problems but team says it should be ready for launch, interesting and very nice to see.

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Thanks so much for your impessions Durante Really appreciate it!

The only last question I have is dependent if you've tried a Steam Controller or not and how the Steam Controllers touchpads feel compared to the Steam Deck? Any improvements you can feel? Outside of performance which can eventually be matched by other vendors, those touch pads are uber high fidelity and it's something I could see myself leaning on quite often. (Especially in a keyboard-less design)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Thanks so much for your impessions Durante Really appreciate it!

The only last question I have is dependent if you've tried a Steam Controller or not and how the Steam Controllers touchpads feel compared to the Steam Deck? Any improvements you can feel? Outside of performance which can eventually be matched by other vendors, those touch pads are uber high fidelity and it's something I could see myself leaning on quite often. (Especially in a keyboard-less design)
I've been using the Steam controller regularly basically since its release. so I have a lot of experience with that.
I didn't use the touchpads on the Deck extensively yet. What I can say so far is that the "click"/pressing it feels much nicer than on the Steam controller (similarly to the improvement with the bumpers). The surface is a bit different from the Steam controller, and also the Vive touchpads -- I'll try it out a bit more today in the evening in terms of how well it works for aiming.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I've been using the Steam controller regularly basically since its release. so I have a lot of experience with that.
I didn't use the touchpads on the Deck extensively yet. What I can say so far is that the "click"/pressing it feels much nicer than on the Steam controller (similarly to the improvement with the bumpers). The surface is a bit different from the Steam controller, and also the Vive touchpads -- I'll try it out a bit more today in the evening in terms of how well it works for aiming.
Wait, the touchpads are actually clickable?

• Gib
Reactions: Ge0force

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Wait, the touchpads are actually clickable?
They were on the Steam controller and HTC Vive controllers. The Valve Index does as well, but it's a pressure-sensitive haptics click. The problem with the Steam controller's pad click was that it was pretty stiff.

I wonder if it's more like that of the Valve Index's pads?

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
yh, and they are force sensitive IIRC.
Oh wow, I though the force sensitivity part was a replacement for them not being clickable.
They were on the Steam controller and HTC Vive controllers. The Valve Index does as well, but I believe it's a pressure-sensitive haptics click. The problem with the Steam controller's pad click was that it was pretty stiff.

I wonder if it's more like that of the Valve Index's pads?
I know about the Steam Controller, I use one every day, I just thought that Steam Deck's pads would not be clickable. I don't know why, I just assumed because of the force thing.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Not Deck specifically related but bodes well for the future of potential v2. (this is mostly for VR)

Reactions: Arulan and Prodigy

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
seems like they started the marketing for it , with creation of twitter account
Hope people ask for JRPGs because it's a potential market that could blow up in certain areas like Asia.

Durante would you participate with them in order to push this "Perfect JRPG machine" thing? :lampblob:

• Eyes
Reactions: Prodigy

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Not Deck specifically related but bodes well for the future of potential v2. (this is mostly for VR)

One way or another! Either we get those sweet sweet repair-grade/b-stock on the new Switch OLEDs and it arrives in GPD or AYA or hopefully the SD2 is OLED

• This!
Reactions: Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Funny because this was one of the games I wanted to play on Deck but I ended up playing until 100% on PC because it was really cool, totally giving it a second run once I have this machine.

Reactions: Alexandros

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
What I am the most worried about the deck is how easy it is to get to 60 fps without sacrificing eye candy too much. I really can't go back to 30fps.
Properly hardware-locked 30 FPS is quite ok in games that don't need fast camera movement or action. In slower games it would even be hard to notice without an FPS counter.
For games that do need lots of quick camera movements and/or do feature fast-paced action, I agree, of course.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Gameplay from QField running on Deck, proton layer confirmed by developers.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
What I am the most worried about the deck is how easy it is to get to 60 fps without sacrificing eye candy too much. I really can't go back to 30fps.
If that is truly the case I would recommend cancelling your preorder. Steam Deck is a portable device and you should be prepared to make some sacrifices in newer games.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I’m also a “60 or nothing” person in general, but I’ll be quite satisfied to run 2D games on it and 3D stuff that isn’t trying to be as high fidelity as possible. The overwhelming majority of my recent game time has been spent on those types of experiences anyway.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
There is a difference between 30fps on 55" TV and 30fps on 7" handheld.

On TV I cannot stand it, but on handheld with small display I think it will be fine.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I'll still have my Series S for AAA, so for me the deck is mostly be for all the Indies. So I'm hoping 60 while looking nice is doable.
I think it will depend on the game. Steam Deck is well equipped to handle last-gen games, cross-gens and current indies but in my opinion there's no doubt that for pure current-gen titles 30 fps will be the norm, if that. Battlefield 2042 will be the first real test of how Steam Deck can perform moving forward.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think it will depend on the game. Steam Deck is well equipped to handle last-gen games, cross-gens and current indies but in my opinion there's no doubt that for pure current-gen titles 30 fps will be the norm, if that. Battlefield 2042 will be the first real test of how Steam Deck can perform moving forward.
Yeah I’m curious to see what it can really handle. I’m actually expecting close to current gen. Because the decks power it should be close to series s and series x, in terms what they can handle at their resolutions and what the decks resolution is. But a console port is usually much better optimised. So it will be interesting to see if we get better optimising for the deck since we now have one hardware spec that devs can optimise towards.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
If the optimization won't change in BF2042 for the final release compared to the beta, then it should not be used to benchmark Deck's potential. Maybe only as a curiosity. BF2042 performance was so atrocious that even my GTX 1060 couldn't keep 60 fps on the lowest settings.

jonbones

MetaMember
Oct 14, 2021
Stepped away from PC gaming for 3-4 years after my build died, I had 2 kids and time got tight.

Really, really excited to reenter it with a Steam Deck, as my backlog is huge. As long as I can get cross gens like Hogwarts and Gotham Knights to lock 800/60 I think I'm going to be plenty busy until a Steam Deck 2 hits!

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
Well the good thing the deck has going for it other handhelds don't is the games will be much more customizable on the deck than the Switch, and the community that forms around the Deck will likely address optimal settings for the typical desired targets (best visuals, best performance, best blend etc)

Reactions: Wok and Alexandros

sleepnaught

Jan 3, 2020
This may have already been answered. But, on the discussion of performance, will they be implementing(if possible) community created visual settings like steam controller's community profiles? That way you can easily instantly set the best settings.

kami_sama

Oct 15, 2021
This may have already been answered. But, on the discussion of performance, will they be implementing(if possible) community created visual settings like steam controller's community profiles? That way you can easily instantly set the best settings.
I would love that, but I don't really know if it would be possible in the strictest sense. Games do settings in a lot of different ways so Steam (or proton) would need to program a way for each of those.
Rather I feel like some sort of shortcut to a guide with the best settings on the Steam GUI might be a good idea. But it's nowhere near as convenient.
I'm on the December batch. I'm so hyped for it lol

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
That is a great idea but I haven't heard anything about such a feature. Here's hoping.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I just watched the System Shock on Deck video and thought to myself that I might actually play shooters on something other than m/kb for the first time in like a decade. It looks like it controls way better with those touch pads than a stick.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I just watched the System Shock on Deck video and thought to myself that I might actually play shooters on something other than m/kb for the first time in like a decade. It looks like it controls way better with those touch pads than a stick.
A track pad is so much better than an analog stick for camera control and aiming. It's one of the big reasons why I love the Steam controller so much.