|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
DMC 5 is on Deck!

EDIT.

Also more DMC 5 gameplay from Capcom USA ( No idea why it was not uploaded to youtube ¯\(ツ)/¯ )

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: Mor

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah, I was just watching this video from WBacon on Era.

Holy crap that Deck looks appealing even to someone like me who doesn't need one. Also I don't think I have seen one bad impression about the ergonomics of it.

I just wish they would find a way to ramp up production, and of course, also sell it over here. Then again, since I still need to upgrade my PC, it's probably best for my wallet that they don't.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The only thing I dislike are those big black borders of the screen. Is it really impossible to make the picture fill it? Assuming a game running in 800p.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The only thing I dislike are those big black borders of the screen. Is it really impossible to make the picture fill it? Assuming a game running in 800p.
Those aren't a screen, so yeah, impossible to make them display anything.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Those aren't a screen, so yeah, impossible to make them display anything.
The DMCV footage does have additional horizontal borders. Compare to other videos like:

All DMCV Deck footage on youtube atm seems to have it so either it's some letterboxing option people miss or it doesn't support that aspect ratio somehow.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
So why are the screenless borders so large? Now the trend with phones is to have no bezels at all..
This thing has a fairly niche resolution. if they had gone 1920 x 1080p they might have been able to find a more modern looking screen.... But I'm sure they put a lot of thought behind choosing this screen (mostly price and performance I guess).

Reactions: Ge0force

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im very curious how people using game pass PC will react to the Deck considering you have to install windows on it to use GP PC and I expect the vast majority won't bother doing that. I mean, you also miss out on some cool features like quick/resume that SteamOS uses.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Im very curious how people using game pass PC will react to the Deck considering you have to install windows on it to use GP PC and I expect the vast majority won't bother doing that. I mean, you also miss out on some cool features like quick/resume that SteamOS uses.
I think a lot of people will simply use xCloud. You don't have to mess with Windows, games won't take your limited memory space and you technically play Series X version of the game but with slightly higher latency.

• Eyes
Reactions: Wok

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
You can install Windows on an SD card and boot from that. If you are into gamepass, that seems far easier than actually reformating the main SSD, or even dualbooting, which requires you to mess with boot partitions.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Personally I am more interested in how Microsoft will react. If Steam Deck sells a lot of units they will have to support it in some way.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Most likely because this screen was cheaper to buy in bulk. Hitting that $399 price point isn't easy.
Makes sense, thanks. Still a shame, one single blemish on otherwise amazing looking device.

Regarding gamepass, I am its user, but I have so many uplayed games on steam that seem perfect for Steam Deck that I am not really bothered by it not running.

That said I would not be surprised if Gabe and Phil came to some agreement to make GP accessible via Steam itself.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Thanks for the share, I was hoping they would do something like this. Makes it easy for people who just want an out of the box experience (or new to the PC gaming ecosystem) to jump in, or people who are already in that world what level of fiddling you would need to do first.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
A comment underneath says "This is why Valve deserves their cut, I don't want to hear any more devs whining about it being too high." and I totally agree.

They also shared a user-oriented version of this on their main channel, and did an interview with RPS regarding this, as was posted in the main Steam thread. Cross-posting for reference.

~

Valve also just posted something to that on their YT channel

Reactions: Alexandros

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It really feels like they're doing everything right with the Deck, wow. (The only misstep is that it doesn't launch everywhere, but from the actual hardware and software and marketing side it feels like they're killing it.)
:blobeyes:
I think that's just Valve being risk averse with the launch. It takes lots of money to enable a world-wide launch and still have a good experience for people, i.e. not having to wait forever for things to ship. I think they want to see if they can sell some number of units in 2021, before scaling things up for 2022 and onwards. If there's a Deck 2, I'd expect that to ship globally from day one, if Valve really is serious about this (and it's hard to know if Valve will continue to be serious about it, and not lose interest)

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I think this is an excellent way of incentivizing developers to go for the full Verified rating and letting users know what to expect.

Reactions: prudis

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I hate the fact that I can't reserve one yet. I want a PC at home and my apartment (currently living) and the Steam Deck would be perfect to use at home with. Like, having a mid-end PC at home and my high-end in my apartment where I live these days.

So far I need to get a mid-end PC for home, but a Deck would fit much better.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I need some insider/dev to check and tell me how XCOM 2 War of the Chosen works.
I am positive it will work great, I played it at 1080p and high settings on a 1050 Ti. At 800p Steam Deck should easily provide a comparable or better experience.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This open approach is surely something encouraging, they are not hidding the fact that some games will need some tweaks or action from players but they are doing their best to offer upfront verified content for those users who do not know or want to take their time testing stuff.

Also, the fact that we are getting at last an official compatibility database is something AMAZING, here's hope they keep pushing for this.

Really happy with all what I'm seeing.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It’s nice to see them set it up for a chance to succeed rather than go the minimum viable product route. Refreshing in a landscape where new console launches often mean paring down functionality and then catching up over time.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I am very happy with the way Valve has handled Steam Deck so far. They are making all the right moves, if the device itself can live up to the hype it will be very successful.

I think it's more of a matter of UI / text legibility.
Ah, yeah, hopefully it won't be an issue.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I am very happy with the way Valve has handled Steam Deck so far. They are making all the right moves, if the device itself can live up to the hype it will be very successful.
Yeah I hope so! There are enough people on steam that probably want it so they will probably sell out the deck for many years. So they are good. Unless they mess up on some spectacular way I just can't see how they can fail now.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah I hope so! There are enough people on steam that probably want it so they will probably sell out the deck for many years. So they are good. Unless they mess up on some spectacular way I just can't see how they can fail now.
Imagine the full value of the ecosystem if the rumored VR headset and home console come to fruition. Three different form factors, the same library following you everywhere. Exciting times ahead.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I've been playing through Eastward and sometimes think "I wish I was playing this on the Steam Deck". Valve read my mind.
Yeah, I knew this would be a more interesting experience on a handheld, at least for me, so it's nice to see it running on their official marketing material, hopefully they will keep this trend of 2 publications a day with more examples.

Imagine the full value of the ecosystem if the rumored VR headset and home console come to fruition. Three different form factors, the same library following you everywhere. Exciting times ahead.
Correct, this is another reason why I'm excited not only about Deck but also Deckard.

Reactions: Alexandros

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The codename for the likely Index successor

Essentially Valve's take on the Quest 2, and presumably using a similar chip as to the one in the Deck, thus the codename "Deckard".
I would assume that a VR headset would need more processing power, though, so maybe they are working with AMD on something like an RDNA3 APU here.

Reactions: Ge0force and Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Sorry, what Mivey said, stand-alone VR headset essentially, it's following the same pattern as Deck (when it was known as Pal) before the official reveal, my guess is that we will know about Deckard officially around 2022-2023.

• Gib

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
It's incredible the absolute work that Valve made with the Steam Proton initiative. Linux gaming has never been better, and the fact that most devs are jumping on guaranteeing Steam Proton work.

Bungo pls make Destiny 2 ready so I can just jump to Linux for real.

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
Love the news that are being shared and the compatibility issues seem minimal so far, which is impressive since it's not even out yet.
I've reserved the cheapest and most expensive version of the Steam Deck and I'm still not sure which reservation to keep. I feel like the etched glass is only of limited use to me, since I will probably never use it outside and screen protectors will be able to somewhat replicate the effect to a certain degree. The SSD is of course a factor, but not sure if it's worth 260€ more. Especially since they're going to sell these as spare parts and putting them in seem super easy (other than the self-tapping screws which scare me, since I don't have the proper tools to handle them).
Am I missing any non-cosmetic factors here? Which versions are you guys getting? And if you're getting the cheapest one, do yo plan on opening the Steam Deck and install the SSD drive yourself? If you get the most expensive one, why are you not taking the middle or cheapest one? Are some of you who want to open the console worried about the case and the screws?
Interested in y'alls opinion :)

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Love the news that are being shared and the compatibility issues seem minimal so far, which is impressive since it's not even out yet.
I've reserved the cheapest and most expensive version of the Steam Deck and I'm still not sure which reservation to keep. I feel like the etched glass is only of limited use to me, since I will probably never use it outside and screen protectors will be able to somewhat replicate the effect to a certain degree. The SSD is of course a factor, but not sure if it's worth 260€ more. Especially since they're going to sell these as spare parts and putting them in seem super easy (other than the self-tapping screws which scare me, since I don't have the proper tools to handle them).
Am I missing any non-cosmetic factors here? Which versions are you guys getting? And if you're getting the cheapest one, do yo plan on opening the Steam Deck and install the SSD drive yourself? If you get the most expensive one, why are you not taking the middle or cheapest one? Are some of you who want to open the console worried about the case and the screws?
Interested in y'alls opinion :)
The most expensive version is worth it for the custom themed virtual keyboard alone! :evilblob:

• Gib
Reactions: zonk

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I want to see someone playing Tony Hawks Cruise Ship level on it while on a skateboard on a boat themselves so we Deckception!
It would be someone on a Deck on a Deck playing someone on a Deck on a Deck on a Deck.

• Toucan
Reactions: TheTrain and Wok