|OT| Steam Next Fest - returning in October 2021

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

It's FTL, a prettier version of FTL. Not sure if it does anything more than FTL outside of the graphics.

A Decent post apocalyptic XCOM-like. Controls, like leaning, cover and crouching are far more complicated than they should be and the writing is truly cringe inducing. "Deez nuts?" C'mon.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Last few I tried:

It's basically anime Ori, very pleasant art style, liked it a lot

Very short demo that shows little of the game, I guess it's supposed to be Clock Tower-esque but there are no monsters aside from a weird bullet hell boss fight. Interesting nonetheless.

Comfy RPG based around potion brewing, looking forward to this so I didn't play too much to avoid spoiling myself.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It's Metroidvania day! :wd_praise:

That's an isometric anime pixel game alright. lashman justified in his crusade, those are some big eyes on tiny faces yo.
It plays incredibly well and fast (if a bit too generous with counters), without sacrificing any weight behind your attacks. Feels great.
Buuuut... I find the perspective really annoying, it feels a bit too high not unlike some other games like Hyper Light Drifter; it makes the frequent platforming parts a bit annoying and confusing. On top of the backgrounds being extremely bright but flat colors that are constantly hidden in "fog"... except when characters and their weird halos are coming near them... it can get a bit hard to understand elevations, what is in the foreground and the background... hmm.

Fighting's fun, but exploration I'm not so sure about. The artstyle causes some readability issues in the world...

Side scrolling Dark Souls, a market that is not lacking in competition. Interesting premise, you play a black hole birthed from shiny divine beings having divine sex or whatever, that breaks rocks and adds them to its own body. Ok? :cold-sweat:
And... it helps the combat, certainly. You can see pebbles and dust flying away from ennemies when you hit, and tear them apart even when they're dead, it's one of the chunkiest games I've played in a long time. It's pretty cool.
But you only have access to the counter move to grab things with your black hole head in the beginning, I was a tad worried, but no you get weapons as usual later...
However, it's here to signify that the game's heavily, heavily based on counters, only second to Sekiro. There's tons of actions that can only be countered, and it's required to kill a bunch of stuff. It's also the only way to heal yourself, as far as I can see. It still feels good and isn't super difficult, but I could see that being frustrating, since it's a 2D plane, you can't skip most ennemies when you die, and death comes quick. And it is NOT generous with "bonfires".
Might be a bit much.

Anime Ori, pretty much. It looks gorgeous. Even the papercraft intro cinematic.
Now, combat is pretty weak. You just shoot light orbs in front of you, and you can charge it. That's really, really simplistic, and it feels pretty bad too. barely any feedback, weak sounds, lots of hits even on basic ennemies... and a surprising large amount of variance? I didn't expect to see damage numbers to begin with, but a basic hit can go from 30 to 120 without explanation? Even more with crits! Either there are some really deep RPG systems hidden with the little spirits that you can find, or it's just a strange decision.
Still interested, but after the two other games, combat feels janky.

It's Ys! :cat-heart-blob:
It's fast, it's fun, the soundtrack is nuts, now with added movement skills to climb walls, glide and stuff!
About as great as one would expect from an evolution of the franchise, even if I know not all skills are very useful later.
It looks like a middling PS3 game, but it's ok, the port is excellent and at least it runs like a charm... but I sure hope they'll have some more oomph for their future games. I think Ys8 looked better despite the much smaller zones... must be said that basing the demo on sewers and ruins might not have been the best showcase either.
If you played the other squad based Ys games, you'll notice that the game offers really quickly damage type changes accessories, I don't know if it will still be that easy to get them in the final gale, but it helps a lot of the rock/paper/scissors pain forcing you to play the right character against certain ennemies. That was annoying in some previous Ys.
I'll play it anyway, it's always fun.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

I'm a huge bitch when it comes to these games, had to play it during the sunny morning instead of with headphones at night. Demo doesn't give much to go on, but it builds tension like nobody's business. If this can be expanded to at least walking sim length (5 hours+) I can see it being a great little horror title, as not many games deal with abduction in the first person, and not involve tasking up arms. Seems like it could make for a kind of McPherson Tape first person adventure if done right.

Game about politics? Check. Game with antifascist overtones? Big 'ol Check. Plays like one of PlayWays 'X Simulator'? Sadface check
I think this could be a great adventure title that wears its politics tattooed on its face, but seems a little 'jokey' in the same way PlayWay sims are about some of their subject matter (See 'Thief Simulator'). That said, Stan and Mitch's section were fantastic, and I can only hope all the sections are that interesting.

XCOM, but street fights with gangs instead of aliens. Controls are kinda iffy - never felt like switching between direct control and command mode was ever smooth. More 'agent' characterization, but I'm not sure that will be a good thing. Stereotypes only work well in small doses and the demo already has me very weary. Still, small-stakes XCOM has potential. So after some more time with the game, controls feel tighter. but the characters are still a problem for a game like this. They either need to make them customizable personalities or really lean into the clichés, which they don't appear to be

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Deus Ex, but eurojank and really fucking weird. Kind of a bad demo since you just get thrown into a random location and you have zero indication of where to go but I'll be looking into the full release.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Peripeteia as an homage to OG Deus Ex. Your Eurojank observation is spot on. The demo kinda just throws you in there with little handholding and it feels like there's a lot going on with gameplay subsystems that aren't explained very well. As such the pacing can feel a bit overwhelming at first blush.

I really dig the presentation, but it does have a "held together with duct tape" indie vibe, which is actually a plus in my book as I love this kinda no-shits verve from upstart dev studios.

Walked away feeling like Peripeteia is to DE what UnderRail is to OG Fallout. Unabashed throwbacks unafraid throw all those systems-heavy complexities of yore into the mix that most modern titles don't dare for fear of losing the mainstream minshare.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland

Played through the demo of Frontier Hunter: Erza’s Wheel of Fortune, it's about 30 minutes if you explore the map in its entirety.

It's a bit rough to say the least, really hard to get a good sense of whether it has potential or not. It's a metroidvania, plus some other stuff. It feels like they took a look at Bloodstained and modeled a lot of it after that.
But yeah, it's rough. Don't like the feel of the combat at all, but it looks like it has different types of weapons so I might like some of them more. The katana you get at the beginning is a bit shit to be honest. It looks like it has at least 3 playable characters, you get to play as two in the demo. When you have them both you can switch on the fly, which could be cool.

Also the demo defaulted to Japanese I guess, so you have to explore the menus a bit to change the language.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
No mentions of Lovely Planet Remix is very sad, please play it - it's more Lovely Planet but this time with some twists like tactical mode where you can't shoot while jumping and as always, it's very good.

Good call. I even enjoyed that classic gun mode.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

Seems pretty early in development, not a lot is explained or makes sense yet. Looks like they are aiming for pretty high production values but I wouldn't expect this for a long while.

Seems a lot further along, lots of interesting mechanics, you can send followers out on missions to gain experience/items. Base building, lots of choices. Runs smooth.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

I mean, the pixel characters are nice and several backgrounds super barebone, but the thing I took from this demo is... can you please do a demo that even remotely tries to represent the game ?

This is most probably a super basic pnc / very light rpg, but fuck if I know, it could be a zelda like, a rogue like, what do I know :shrugblob:

Reactions: Angelo and lashman

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

I mean, the pixel characters are nice and several backgrounds super barebone, but the thing I took from this demo is... can you please do a demo that even remotely tries to represent the game ?

This is most probably a super basic pnc / very light rpg, but fuck if I know, it could be a zelda like, a rogue like, what do I know :shrugblob:
Had pretty much the same opinion lol, I think you're supposed to have a Majora's Mask esque time mechanic but the game literally cuts off before you get to use that so how the fuck am I supposed to form an opinion on a game that won't show me what the gameplay loop is?

• This!
Reactions: Angelo and Li Kao

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, I really enjoyed Peripeteia as an homage to OG Deus Ex. Your Eurojank observation is spot on. The demo kinda just throws you in there with little handholding and it feels like there's a lot going on with gameplay subsystems that aren't explained very well. As such the pacing can feel a bit overwhelming at first blush.

I really dig the presentation, but it does have a "held together with duct tape" indie vibe, which is actually a plus in my book as I love this kinda no-shits verve from upstart dev studios.

Walked away feeling like Peripeteia is to DE what UnderRail is to OG Fallout. Unabashed throwbacks unafraid throw all those systems-heavy complexities of yore into the mix that most modern titles don't dare for fear of losing the mainstream minshare.
Honestly,. how did you ever come across whatever the point of the demo was? the most I could do was get on the tram and go across the gap, but after that it was more aimless wandering

Reactions: Angelo

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

September 1st ? Really ? Good luck !
I obviously don't know what's the supposed state of a game this close to release, but it was, technically not great.
FPS 120 <-> 70 on the regular.
Pretty sure there was some form of pop in.
Mouse cursor always visible.
No camera adjustment when you move the character.
Lifeless dialogs.

And as a minor cherry pick, people were asshole to my kind postwoman :cryblob:

I don't rule it out, but, September 1st ?

Reactions: lashman and Angelo

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Cool retro look, grating music, AI stuck in the environment. Close, Uninstall.
I'm not saying it's shit, it could be a nice novelty, but I'm wary of the pathfinding.

10 minutes in, it's shit.
30 minutes in, it's still shit.
Then you understand that the little hideous icon is for foundations. Theeennn you understand that you have to buy the torch and sword to dungeon crawl.
Ok, there are still scary elements (for the moment the craft list is minuscule, harvesting ressources is a little tedious) but you have my attention :coffee-blob:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Len's Island wins the prize of most unintuitive UI I've ever seen in a crafting survival game. Can't even be bothered to tell you have to sell the stuff you farm early on.

I get the appeal of no handholding but when I can barely make out what I can actually gather in the field you're gonna have to throw me a bone here, not even Haydee was this obtuse.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Honestly,. how did you ever come across whatever the point of the demo was? the most I could do was get on the tram and go across the gap, but after that it was more aimless wandering
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Game def. needs more direction regarding objectives.

I made it to a sewer area that funneled into an apt. complex where I ran into some gun dealers. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out where to go afterwards. :(

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

The feel is here, the models are good, the systems do the job, it's 40K like we always wanted it to be translated.
If Slitherine is sane, there will be DLC, tons of DLC. And I won't even complain.

Minor nitpick ? Production value on some elements is 'just' meh (loading a mission with a dumb gif, cool cinematic but drawn, far from some fan movies). Some UI struggle on my side. Typos in a product that releases super soon.

Major nitpick ? I want everything, every races, other biomes, go crazy on this, dev.

Cool detail ? The plot seems to be happening not that long in the past of the Meta, there are Primaris and my boy Roboute is name dropped.

Watch this sell like shit and never get anything :so-good-blob:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Toem was pretty cool. A quirky, laid back exploration game.

What I played of Dodgeball Academia was fun. I could see myself getting into it down the line. ARPG dodgeball is right up my alley.

City of Beats is a rhythmic dual stick shooter. Cool music, cool visuals. Worth checking out if that's your sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelo and lashman

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
A little bit late to the party but I also played some demos.
I played on Linux (Proton) and some demos had a very poor performance for me (Wartales, Common'Hood & Trigon – Space Story).

Terraformers was a strange case:
The game is advertised as having a native Linux version. But the demo does only have a Windows and a Mac version. This resulted in an empty download for me [UWSL]:weary-face:[/UWSL]

Now on to the games that did actually work:

Farlanders

I really enjoyed this one. It is a turnbased Mars colony builder game. The gameplay itself feels somewhat like a tile laying board game. I don't know if it will scale for bigger maps and how much changes there will be in the late game. But even in the two small maps that i played it is already quite puzzle heavy. I can certainly see myself playing this game regularly for a long time (every month a map or so).

Growing Up

This is basically a game about growing up as the title says. You must select the activities you want to do (e.g. playing or learning a new skill). This is combined with a light RPG mechanic where you level up some stats (e.g. Intelligence, Empathy and Physique etc.) which in turn reduce the cost of learning new skills. Additionally their are external factors that influence your development (e.g. exams, expectations of your parents) and you make friends along the way. It somewhat reminds me of a more gamified version of the 1986 game Alter Ego. And just like Alter Ego I quite like this game. I guess i am just a sucker for „life role-playing“ games.

Terra Nil

A reverse city builder: The goal is to recreate a functioning ecosystem from a barren wasteland. I don’t know about this one. It seems relative simple. Not that this is bad thing, but I expected something more. Perhaps I should have played a little longer to get to the later stages for more complexity. Perhaps it was not the day for such a relaxed city builder. Besides that the atmosphere and graphics where nice.

Stellar Monarch 2

Space 4X (maybe with Crusader Kings elements?). To complex to play in this short amount of time and the help function (how to play) was not yet implemented.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Good thing I downloaded Grime before the demofest was over. I forgot to give it a spin, but I get to play it from the folder.

edit: nvm. It seems there's a bug related to running it directly. Something regarding achievements and being able to parry the first enemy.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Vile Enabling Hooligan
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

The feel is here, the models are good, the systems do the job, it's 40K like we always wanted it to be translated.
If Slitherine is sane, there will be DLC, tons of DLC. And I won't even complain.

Minor nitpick ? Production value on some elements is 'just' meh (loading a mission with a dumb gif, cool cinematic but drawn, far from some fan movies). Some UI struggle on my side. Typos in a product that releases super soon.

Major nitpick ? I want everything, every races, other biomes, go crazy on this, dev.

Cool detail ? The plot seems to be happening not that long in the past of the Meta, there are Primaris and my boy Roboute is name dropped.

Watch this sell like shit and never get anything :so-good-blob:
Hmmm
If it is still discounted by late july
I might get it

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmmm
If it is still discounted by late july
I might get it
It’s 21 bucks on cdkeys AFAIR. If I wasn’t poor and there wasn’t a steam sale in the immediate future, I may have bitten.