|OT| Taroverse | This Can Continue!

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
What's the Taroverse?

The Taroverse is a fictional universe named after its creator Yoko "The Moonface" Taro.

At its core are the NieR and Drakengard videogames, however it also includes several different Mangas, Novels, Audiodramas and even Stageplays. Most of its focus lies on personal drama crossed with metaphysical themes. Some of its inspirations include works such as Kentaro Miura’s Manga “Berserk” or the famous anime show “Neon Genesis Evangelion”, as well as real life events such as the death of Taro’s own childhood friend or the 9/11 incident.

So this is like a big and overwhelming thing to get into?

Not at all. Due to the way Taro enjoys his storytelling, the videogames can all be enjoyed independently of each other. A different matter is the other material that usually expands on the aforementioned games, however you don’t need to worry about them either unless you really want to get it all.

I’ve heard every game features two dozen endings and needs to replayed 69 times nakedly while sitting in a circle of Idolmaster figures.

Unfortunately, there has been quite a misunderstanding in the way endings work.

Within the Taroverse, an ending does not constitute the ending of the game, but usually the ending of a certain timeline or timeframe.

Only NieR and the first Half of NieR: Automata can be considered to require “replays” of content you’ve already seen. However, these replays nonetheless feature new story elements, cutscenes and characters.

While it is understandable that the proposition sounds off turning, it is very much recommended to give it a try, as the stories are built around this structure and do not give a proper conclusion without.

What makes Taro’s works so special?

“Yoko Taro is the very definition of a contrarian. He goes against the grain and instills his own essence in games whether by gameplay or by his principles in life.

Every game he made has a message he wants to convey all wrapped up in a beautiful but sad story that will surely pull your heart strings and at the same time make you happy about life.

I can only say that playing Yoko Taro games has definitely affected me and my outlook on life as well as the decisions and repercussion I make deeply.”killatopak

Why the moonmask?

What gave you the impression it’s a mask?

Contents of the Taroverse

Videogames:

Drakengard 1 / Drag-On Dragoon 1 (PS2)

Yoko Taro’s first directed work, videogame criticism disguised as disturbing dynasty warriors clone. Often seen as an “anti-game” in the way it wants to punish and frustrate the player, it garnered a small, early cult following that eventually lead the way to much bigger success.

In this tale of madness, the evil empire is after goddess of the seal Furiae, willing to use her to pollinate the world with the Seeds of Resurrection. We follow Furiae’s brother Caim and his troop of asylum-runaways on their adventure to save her and the world of Midgard.

Featuring murder, childmurder, cannibalism, pedophilia, more murder, mutantangels, spacebabies, genocide, infanticide, people eating babies, babies eating people, magic nukes, even more murder, Hitler’s biggest fan, suicide, incest, NTR, racism and really just a lot of murder.

Drakengard 2 / Drag-On Dragoon 2 (PS2) (Not created by Yoko Taro and thereby considered noncanon)

Taking place after Drakengard 1's Ending A, this title follows hero Nowe, fresh Knight of the Seal, an order built to prevent the end of the world, their cost: Human sacrifice. No longer able to stand for his, he soon takes fate into his own hands, meeting old and new comrades.

Improving on much of Drakengard 1's gameplay, it has bene much more favorably received.
However, this title has not been written by Taro and is thereby considered to be part of a different non-canon timeline,

Drakengard 3 / Drag-On Dragoon 3 (PS3)

300 years prior to Drakengard. This is the story of Intoner Zero, an angel who was given the power of the Song. Her only goal: Finding and killing her angel sisters. But if it were just that easy. Why is she after her sisters?

Made on a rather shoe-string budget and with rather limited input of Taro, this has been his most divisive game. But don't let that put you off, at it's core it is nonetheless a unique game worth playing. Due to a major shift in tone, it is more comedy than anything else, but don't let the fact fool your tears.

Expanded by 6 little but expansive story DLC's.

NieR (PS3/XBOX360)

Taking place 1300 years after Drakengard 1’s Ending E, this game follows the sad story of a man searching a cure to save his sick daughter from a disease called “The black scrawl”. Soon he happens to find himself in a fight between Humanity and monsters called “Shades”. But not everything is as it seems…

Released originally in two versions “NieR Replicant” and “NieR Gestalt”, the west only ever saw the release of “NieR Gestalt”. Their only difference is the protagonist, as it was decided for marketing reasons that an old gruffy dude would be more suitable to the western audience.

NieR: Automata (PS4/STEAM/XBX1)

Taking place 10.000 years after NieR's Ending E.
After an invasion of alien created biomachines, mankind has abandoned earth in favor of a secret hideout on the moon. From there, an army of androids was sent into the war against the alien robots. Biomachines and Androids have been locked into an eternal proxy-war for their creators. We follow Android Number 2, Type B on her quest to clear the earth of alien presence. Will she be able to save mankind from extinction?

Created in association with PlatinumGames, this is undeniably Taro's first, real breakout hit, receiving mainstream coverage and universal praise, it has sold more than 2 Million copies since release, making it his best selling title.

SINoALICE (iOS/Android, releasing in the west in 2019)

A mobile-gacha game based on Taro's first script for NieR.

Manga:

Utahime Five
(Completed, 3 Volumes)

A humorous manga, acting as a prequel to Drakengard 3, showing us what the group of misfit intoner have been up to prior to the game. Japan only. Scanlations exist.

Shi Ni Itaru Aka
(Completed, 3 Volumes)

This manga servers as abridge between Drakengard 3’s Ending A and Drakengard 1. It follows the story of Brother One and shines a light on certain events that made Drakengard 1’s protagonist Caim the lovable sociopath he is today. Japan only. Scanlations exist.

Thou Shalt Not Die /
Kimi Shi ni Tamou Koto Nakare
(Running, ? Volumes, Current: 6)

Yoko Taro’s new, original manga, following the story of a squadron of japanese childsoldiers with magic abilities. Officially not part of the rest of the Taroverse as of now, which would make it the first disconnected work he has ever done. However, given the contents of the manga and the stories of Grimoire NieR, it is speculated that this Manga shows the First Crusade against the Legion, events mentioned in Grimoire NieR

As of now, the manga is available exclusively in japanese, an english release has been licensed by Yenpress and will be available digitally in the future.

Stageplays:

YoRHA

A prequel stageplay to NieR: Automata, detailing A2’s story prior to the game. A lengthy official summary of the stageplay is available over here, however a summary of this story is also featured in a sidequest of NieR: Automata.

YoRHa Boys

A stageplay detailing the school life and training of fresh YorHa units

Thou Shalt Not Die Zero

A stageplay of Taro’s Manga of the same title. No information on its content as of now.

Other

Grimoire NieR

A lorebook containing shortstories, timeline of events, character profiles, concept-art and interviews with different members of the development team.

An official English release does not exist, however, dedicated members translated the most important stuff for this google doc.

NieR Drama CD

A collection of different short stories taking place before and after the story of “NieR”, featuring old and new characters. Japanese only.

NieR Comics - 3 Volumes (Noncanon)

Free comics created to promote the release of “NieR”, however, they are not written by Yoko Taro and do not have place in the Taroverse’ continuity, thereby considered noncanon.

NieR Automata Novel 1 - The long story

A novelization of the game NieR: Automata. Featuring old and new story bits as well as completely new perspective on the events of the game.

NieR Automata Novel 2 - The short story

A collection of NieR: Automata related shortstories such as “The Fire of Prometheus”.
Announced for an english releaase for early 2019.

NieR Automata Novel 3 - YoRHa Boys

A novelization of the aforementioned YoRHA Boys Stageplay.
No english release as of now.

Drakengard 3 Side Story Novel

A midle length novel, detailing the happenings in the new timeline E of Zero’s story.
However, there has not been a full English translation or summary of it yet.

Drakengard 3 Novellas

Little Novellas giving background on all of Drakengard 3’s character prior to the game.
Unfortunately, the website on which to read them has been taken down.

The Music

From the first Drakengard’s cacophony of disturbance to NieR’s otherworldly beauty and danceable electro-remixes, the Taroverse is as popular for its music as much as its stories. Jump in and give it a listen:

Live Concerts

NieR and NieR Automata Vinyl release

Where can I throw my hard earned money?

Square Enix EU Store

Square Enix US Store

Square Enix JP Store
(Help from Tenso.com or WhiteRabbitExpress required)

CDJapan

Playasia

Worthwhile resources:

NieR-ERA Discordserver

NieR: Automata ResetEra-OT by BRSxIgnition

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread by BRSxIgnition

NieR: Automata Fanart Thread by EverGarden

Fire Sanctuary

NieR Library Twitter

NieR Live Concert Readings

Nier.wikia.com

Nierautomata.wikie.fextralife.com

drakengard.wikia.com

Sinoalice.wiki

DarkLD’s screenshot LP’s

Clemps Video Summaries

Aurora Valkyrie Videos

Taroverse Timeline

The infamous Joystiq incident

Grimoire NieR Google Doc

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
PRAISE YOKO TARO!!!

:wd_praise:

(also - no need to reserve posts - there are no character or image limits per post :p)

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
BECOME AS GODS!
=======

It's a shame the Viz Media TL of Long Story Short ended up being... subpar?

Also nice that SINoAlice is finally coming outside Japan, but almost all of my mobile gaming time is dedicated to Girls' Frontline, which itself has some deep and depressing lore. (Surprisingly good for a mobile game though, story punches way above it's weight.)

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
It's a shame the Viz Media TL of Long Story Short ended up being... subpar?
Well it could be worse.
It could be like the Thou Shalt Not Die translation and just not release at all!

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Looks like this book is being shipped to backers, but as someone without Credit Card i'll have to wait for its "Official" release ;_;

Well this is unfortunate. What was your thoughts on the translation? Did it distract you a lot?
Well, it was ok i guess?

I never not understood what was supposed to happen, but a lot of it reads clunky and not like natively written prose.
Hopefully Short Story will be better in that regard.

At the end of the day it's a glorified plot-summary missing quite a few things like the opera singers backstor) and all the "only in videogames" things a book obviously couldn't replicate.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Looks like this book is being shipped to backers, but as someone without Credit Card i'll have to wait for its "Official" release ;_;

Well, it was ok i guess?

I never not understood what was supposed to happen, but a lot of it reads clunky and not like natively written prose.
Hopefully Short Story will be better in that regard.

At the end of the day it's a glorified plot-summary missing quite a few things like the opera singers backstor) and all the "only in videogames" things a book obviously couldn't replicate.
Mhm, I see. Well thanks for expanding on it.

With regards to the book from the Tweet, I too have to wait for the official release but that's cuz I don't do Kickstarters lol.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Brilliant OT that I almost missed.

The universe of the game is so compelling, and after watching Clemps and Valkyrie Aurora's videos, I bought Nier Automata day (one of the 3 day-one purchases I've ever made).
I'm still on route C but I've put the game on hold. I'll continue after I upgrade my PC (which will be a long ass time because money 😭)

Some side quests in route A and B were nothing short of bone chilling.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Amazing interview, thanks for posting! I can't wait for Taro's next project!!! o_O

please don't be a mobile game, please don't be a mobile game, please don't be a mobile game, please don't be a mobile game!

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I want to play the Nier series, but the first one is physical only on PS3, and it's crazy expensive here. I don't want to play the sequel without having gone through the previous one either, so I'm at an impasse.

doogles

Oct 6, 2018
Great OP. I'm playing through Nier: A route B right now (I restarted after the end of B because I wasn't taking the playthrough seriously enough and it was affecting my enjoyment) and I had no idea there was so much to the universe. Can't wait for the English release of that manga.

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
tl;dr

Just kidding. I didn’t know there were so many supplemental manga and stuff. Taro should definitely do an anime. The next game should definitely have something to do with Accord, since her actual role is very mysterious and they bothered to mention her in Automata.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
A new NieR stoy, apparently about Yorha 2P (same as from the Soul Calibur game) as a FFXIV RAID. Amazing.
Well hoping this isn't as important to lore, because I don't think many play MMOs (at least I don't).
But knowing Taro, that mad man will put something there.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I'm still waiting for my Strange Works copy... :unsure: Amazon says I might have to wait until June even.

I believe the EN version of Short Story Long released today or yesterday, did you pick that up?

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I'm still waiting for my Strange Works copy... :unsure: Amazon says I might have to wait until June even.

I believe the EN version of Short Story Long released today or yesterday, did you pick that up?
Had preordered it on Amazon, but haven't received it yet.

I hope the translation will be better than the last one 😣

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

Cute.

Also I think my "The Strange Works of" is never coming. :suicide-blob: Amazon didn't get any stock it seems?
Despite the fact that the translation for short story long is still bad, it's definitely worth reading especially for yorha 1.5.

Got my copy straight from Amazon but yea it seems it's already sold out? I guess they underestimated the demand.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Despite the fact that the translation for short story long is still bad, it's definitely worth reading especially for yorha 1.5.

Got my copy straight from Amazon but yea it seems it's already sold out? I guess they underestimated the demand.
What a shame the TL ended up being shite again. Alas this is why I keep JP copies as well. ;)

The 1st EN world guide comes in May. Let's hope that one is handled better. Should be a different translator since it's being done by Dark Horse rather than Viz.

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
Thanks of the great OT! I just want to mention that all of the older games work pretty well on emulators for anyone interested Drakengard 1 & 2 in PCSX2 and Drakengard 3 and NieR in RPCS3, Drakengard 3 actually works better on the emulator now then on the real hardware because the frame rate is a locked 30 instead of the frequent dips on the PS3.
These games are also not very demanding i played trough all of them recently on my older pc (4790k/gtx 970) and apart from the usual shader generation stutter i got full speed everywhere in 4k/30fps.

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Somehow I completely missed this thread, awesome OP, very informative. Also, I was unaware of the existence of that Automata OST vinyl box set and I now feel the stupid urge to spend my money.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Need to finish Nier: Automata one of these days, sad I got it for PS4 just before I decided to upgrade my PC.
Also need to finish Drakengard 3, normally I don't have issues with bad FPS but the tearing in that game drove me away from it even though I had fun with it, even bought the Limited Edition.