• Nintendo Switch (May 21, 2019)
Trailer:
Developer: Sumo Digital

Publisher: Sega

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 50% recommended

Critic Reviews

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 9 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a strong return to form for Sumo Digital’s kart racing spin-off series.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8.5 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a blast to play. The unique team based racing puts a spin on an already successful formula that encourages players to work together while also feeling competitive enough to not keep those away who always want to prove they're the best.

The Games Machine - Stefano Calzati - Italian - 8.4 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a delightful game, the perfect match between Mario Kart and that OutRun theorized by the same Sumo Digital in 2006.

GameCrate - Angelo D'Argenio - 8.3 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is fun, well designed, and stuffed with replay value. It excels everywhere except the one place it matters: couch co-op, and that's the one major flaw that holds it back.

DualShockers - Jordan Boyd - 8 / 10
I can definitely feel the sunshine.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 8 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is an absolute blast as a local multiplayer game. The team based mechanics offer an injection of fresh and exciting ideas into an otherwise stagnating genre, making it a must-play for fans of the series. The online races can be a little chaotic at times, but with a bit of patience and a lot of luck, there's plenty of fun to be had here.

ZTGD - Anthony Mann - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

Twinfinite - Hayes Madsen - 4 / 5
If you’ve got a serious itch for some good old racing, Sonic and friends can help scratch it.

IGN Italy - Biagio Etna - Italian - 7.9 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a game full of content, enjoyable to play and with a very well-structured co-op mode. Nevertheless, the title suffers on the medium/long duration, with a design of the tracks not always delighted and the readability of the action sometimes compromised by some aesthetic choices. Team Sonic Racing, therefore, while giving peaks of unquestionable fun, is devoid of that leap, that spark of play that can make the difference.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.9 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a good racing game, with the brilliant idea of the "team gameplay" and few little flaws.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 78 / 100
Solid fun racer with great team focus, but also weaknesses in track design and driving experience.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 77 / 100
A pretty solid and good-looking game that manages to satisfy any kind of gamer, altough it lacks the variety and part of the charm os some other racing titles. It gives what it promises, anyway.

VGN - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is definitely a great racing game that focuses on team-work, but that unfortunately lacks in several other aspects. If you love the racing series from Sega, then you could give Team Sonic Racing a chance, otherwise you should wait until Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled comes out.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Lucas White - 7.5 / 10
I absolutely recommend giving Team Sonic Racing a whirl for its new kind of kart racing play, but if you want to play locally with your friends, you’ll have to put up with some potholes.

God is a Geek - Chris Hyde - 7.5 / 10
Team Sonic Racing isn't the best karting game out there. But its well-executed team mechanic changes the way you play, making it a worthy addition to the genre.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 7.3 / 10
The team-based mechanics help Team Sonic Racing stand out from other kart racers, but Mario Kart is in no danger of losing pole position in the genre

GamingTrend - Abram Buehner - 70 / 100
Team Sonic Racing is a fun and intelligently designed, albeit content-light, kart racer. The game's central focus on teamwork gives the experience a unique and engaging flavor and its sense of speed kept me dialed in. But, that isn't enough to assuage the title's evident flaws. From an unimpressive roster of stages to lacking modes outside of Team Sonic Racing's great single-player campaign, I'd be hard pressed to see this game lasting more than a dozen hours for many fans. While the fundamentals are fun, this racer could've used a tune-up before coming to market.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 7 / 10
We don't want to drag Team Sonic Racing down for ultimately quite trivial points. At the end of the day, Sumo Digital has served up a solid kart racer that succeeds in bringing something new to the table. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but the cooperative racing adds a nice layer of rapid fire strategy. It's implemented well, to the point where standard races feel distinctly secondary. It might be lacking the wow factor SEGA's other IPs brought to Sumo's other racers, and it's a shame performance is a little rocky, but this is a good option for PS4 players who want some arcadey thrills.

Gameblog - Romain Mahut - French - 7 / 10
Team Sonic Racing gives players a whole new take on the "Kart Racer" genre thanks to its team gameplay mechanic. It works and it allows less skilled players to enjoy competing against other human players. It's just too bad that SUMO got rid of the transformations and the SEGA All-Stars...

GameSpot - James Swinbanks - 7 / 10
The Blue Blur is back in this fast and fun kart-inspired arcade racer, with a few twists for good measure.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 7 / 10
In most circles, Team Sonic Racing probably won't unseat Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (or Transformed's ever-enduring legacy if my house is any indication), and that's fine with me. Plenty of folks will enjoy the Sonic focus and many of the tracks would have been fantastic as Transformed DLC. I just wish it wasn't as limited in scope out of the gate.

USgamer - Mike Williams - 3.5 / 5 stars
Sumo Digital is back to hit you with that fantastic Sonic Racing action. Team Sonic Racing has a new focus on team-based mechanics, but it ultimately feels like a step back from the excellent Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. The tracks are great, there's a whole of new customization options, and Team Adventure's challenge courses do well to differentiate the game from its peers, but it's a rebuilding year.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 6 / 10
Team Sonic Racing is a technically sound karting game, but really only sells its central mechanic well enough in multiplayer to convince you that it needs to be there. It's not helped by only featuring the mostly bland Sonic family of characters and locations, leaving it feeling like an overall downgrade from the fantastic Sonic & All-Star Racing games.

TrustedReviews - Jade King - 3 / 5 stars
Team Sonic Racing is fun yet ultimately underwhelming kart racer. It's innovative team-based mechanics can make the solo campaign a joy, but aren't fleshed out enough to prevent things becoming repetitive.

Daily Star - Donogh Moore - 3 / 5 stars
That being said, the tracks themselves are refined and tight enough, so much so that will welcome new players, but will reward those who take the time to learn where they can shave vital milliseconds off their lap times. The sound design is solid enough – the title music is memorable and reminiscent of something out of Persona 5, which can only be a good thing.

Digital Chumps - Eric Layman - 6 / 10
While Team Sonic Racing makes a statement with its collaborative squads of racers, its identity is lost in the amorphous complexion of a conventional kart racer. Worse, its gorgeous locales and myriad customization options aren't quite enough to support a despairing imbalance between luck and skill. Silver the Hedgehog's presence is one of many indications Team Sonic Racing is burdened with deadweight and light on inspiration.

GamesRadar+ - Aron Garst - 2.5 / 5 stars
Team Sonic Racing, despite carrying a tidbit of fun, doesn't stand up to other kart racers today

Eurogamer - Martin Robinson - Recommended
Sumo Digital ditches the wider world of Sega for its latest kart racer, but for all that's lost a new focus and inventiveness is found.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - Unscored
An extraordinarily competent racer

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Ouch, I definitely expected better. Still, the PlayStation Universe and Gamers Heroes reviews are helping me to keep my hopes up. I plan to buy this to play with a couple of friends locally anyway.

Reactions: lashman

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Seems like "okay" reviews. I kinda feel like kart racers are a tricky genre to review because so much of their appeal lies in the social aspect of racing against friends using quirky cartoon characters which people have varying degrees of attachment to.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ouch, I definitely expected better. Still, the PlayStation Universe and Gamers Heroes reviews are helping me to keep my hopes up. I plan to buy this to play with a couple of friends locally anyway.
Ouch? Those scores are far from bad