News Telltale’s The Walking Dead Will Conclude For PC on Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
‘Telltale’s The Walking Dead’ Will Conclude For PC on Epic Games Store

All future episodes of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead” on PC will be published on the Epic Games Store, Skybound Games announced Thursday. People who already bought the season on a different PC platform will still receive the final two episodes through their previous point of purchase.

The third episode of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season,” entitled Broken Toys, is set for a Jan. 15 release on Epic’s new online game store. Epic Games Store will also be host to the previous episodes of the season for those who want to buy it as well. The game will hit consoles on Jan. 15 as well.

“The team at Epic owns a major chapter in the history of the game industry,” said president of interactive Dan Murray and Skybound Games CEO Ian Howe in a prepared joint-statement. “We’re excited to work together on their latest transformative event with the launch of the Epic Games Store. Epic stepped up to the plate immediately to work with us in order to bring the original team back together and ensure fans will receive the completed season of ‘Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season.'”

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Eh I'll wait for it to show up on sale on GOG before I get it.
If they manage to get some good sales on Epic store, cool, otherwise, I'ma just wait.

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
L
O
L

I bought my version on console, so it doesn't actually matter to me. But still, big fat LOL at this situation. Game was already enough of a mess, and now they're going to use a game people purchased on one platform to force them onto another?

BOOOOO.

Lain

serial experiments
Sep 20, 2018
What the... I missed buying s3 and s4, and I guess it'll stay that way. Good job.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Good thing I don't care at all for TT games lol. Even if I did though, they sadly wouldn't see a cent from me. Not gonna support Epic's tactics here.

Hero Prinny

Dec 14, 2018
This is unforgivable. I say this as an actual fan of the Epic Store but this is the last straw! I can't keep defending them with nonsense like this!! :mad: I'll wait till they come back begging on their knees on steam and even then I'll wait till its $5.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
its gonna bomb, watch. Gl to them tho
This is why it seems stupid.

The game wasn't exactly suffering from visibility (as far as I know) on Steam. Limiting the sales to one storefront, instead of having keys everywhere seems really stupid and limiting.

But whatever, the company is already dead, so it doesn't matter I guess.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
ánd you can/have to use the use Steams forums to troubleshoot too... like with the other Epic exclusive games that got "pulled" from Steam.... they are so progressive you have to use another platform to get help for the games if something isnt working

competition

Deleted member 113

Oh well, another publisher to ignore.

Up until now, I followed Skybound's products, bought many of them, and was a mailing list subscriber.
After this, I'm out. I'm not touching any more of their products, and I cancelled all subscriptions.
It's unbelievable how little do these people care about their customers, or their convenience. And how they simply expect people to "eat it", and go purchase the game wherever they want.

When a company decides to take away their customers options, by "forcing" them to buy from a single store, I really have no problem saying "screw it", and I simply won't buy their stuff. I already started with the current Steam sale, since I previously wanted to buy a few games or DLCs I'm missing from some of these publishers (like Team17), but after all this crap, I'll be instead supporting developers and publishers who, on top of providing games I'm interest in, allow me as a customer to make my decisions on where to buy.

I'm glad I bought the final season on Steam before it was taken down.

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
Oh well, another publisher to ignore.

Up until now, I followed Skybound's products, bought many of them, and was a mailing list subscriber.
After this, I'm out. I'm not touching any more of their products, and I cancelled all subscriptions.
It's unbelievable how little do these people care about their customers, or their convenience. And how they simply expect people to "eat it", and go purchase the game wherever they want.

When a company decides to take away their customers options, by "forcing" them to buy from a single store, I really have no problem saying "screw it", and I simply won't buy their stuff. I already started with the current Steam sale, since I previously wanted to buy a few games or DLCs I'm missing from some of these publishers (like Team17), but after all this crap, I'll be instead supporting developers and publishers who, on top of providing games I'm interest in, allow me as a customer to make my decisions on where to buy.

I'm glad I bought the final season on Steam before it was taken down.
Seriously. ^^ This, all of this.
I don't get how people forget this simple concept that these places are a BUSINESS and their job is to make us want to buy their PRODUCT. Putting it on a store that offers fuck all for options and convenience for me doesn't make me want to buy their product.

Also, what is with this "Make sure the Devs get the most money!" shit? Video games is the only section of the entertainment industry that seems to deal with this. Movies? You got multiple sources from multiple stores all with multiple things to cater to their customer base. Books? Same deal. But Video Games? OH NO. Don't buy from VALVE and STEAM. They're a monopoly, they don't care about the devs! They don't deserve their 30%! They do nothing to earn it!

No, they just made it where any Tom, Dick & Harry can self-publish a game on their platform. They handle all the bullshit that is involved with processing payments. They offer FREE options for multiplayer connectivity, cloud save backups, the ability to connect with your player base. Not to mention the shit they offer the paying customer. Using Steam, I can basically take any controller I already own and use it with games that don't even have controller support. How awesome is that?!

I think a lot of these people forget what PC gaming was like in the early 00s before Steam got a real solid foot hold. I still remember the shit console to PC ports, if we were lucky to get PC ports at all. I still remember the hassle of trying to track down a place to download the latest patch for a game because not all publishers / developers gave enough of a shit to host them on their own servers.

The sheer amount of ignorance and stupidity that is circling this whole topic boggles my mind, even from actual developers!

"It's just another launcher!" is such a bullshit cop-out excuse. I'll tell you what it is, it's not just another launcher -- it's just another way a company saw fit to take away my ability to choose where I can purchase a game, and on what platform I can play it and quite frankly I'm getting real fucking sick of it.

Deleted member 113

Seriously. ^^ This, all of this.
I don't get how people forget this simple concept that these places are a BUSINESS and their job is to make us want to buy their PRODUCT. Putting it on a store that offers fuck all for options and convenience for me doesn't make me want to buy their product.

Also, what is with this "Make sure the Devs get the most money!" shit? Video games is the only section of the entertainment industry that seems to deal with this. Movies? You got multiple sources from multiple stores all with multiple things to cater to their customer base. Books? Same deal. But Video Games? OH NO. Don't buy from VALVE and STEAM. They're a monopoly, they don't care about the devs! They don't deserve their 30%! They do nothing to earn it!

No, they just made it where any Tom, Dick & Harry can self-publish a game on their platform. They handle all the bullshit that is involved with processing payments. They offer FREE options for multiplayer connectivity, cloud save backups, the ability to connect with your player base. Not to mention the shit they offer the paying customer. Using Steam, I can basically take any controller I already own and use it with games that don't even have controller support. How awesome is that?!

I think a lot of these people forget what PC gaming was like in the early 00s before Steam got a real solid foot hold. I still remember the shit console to PC ports, if we were lucky to get PC ports at all. I still remember the hassle of trying to track down a place to download the latest patch for a game because not all publishers / developers gave enough of a shit to host them on their own servers.

The sheer amount of ignorance and stupidity that is circling this whole topic boggles my mind, even from actual developers!

"It's just another launcher!" is such a bullshit cop-out excuse. I'll tell you what it is, it's not just another launcher -- it's just another way a company saw fit to take away my ability to choose where I can purchase a game, and on what platform I can play it and quite frankly I'm getting real fucking sick of it.
I think these people forget that, at the end of the day, entertainment products are easily replaceable.
I won't buy "x" game? No problem, I can always buy another. Or a Blu-Ray. Or a book. Or a CD. Or comics. Or go out with friends to the cinema, to have a few drinks, to have dinner, whatever.
Do they really believe we have no other options for spending our disposable income? :LOL:
I don't know about you, guys, but I'm good at finding ways for spending my money. :p

EDIT: I forgot to mention another great way of spending your money. Donate to a charity of your choice.
I would have bought Hades, and pre-ordered Genesis Alpha One, if they were available on other platforms. They are not.
Instead, I just took the money it would take me to buy them, and donated to an animal charity.

Those poor developers and publishers couldn't live with getting 70% of my purchase, so they ended up getting 88% of... nothing.
As for me, I got the 100% satisfaction of, hopefully, making things better for a few abandoned pets. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
I think these people forget that, at the end of the day, entertainment products are easily replaceable.
I won't buy "x" game? No problem, I can always buy another. Or a Blu-Ray. Or a book. Or a CD. Or comics. Or go out with friends to the cinema, to have a few drinks, to have dinner, whatever.
Do they really believe we have no other options for spending our disposable income? :LOL:
I don't know about you, guys, but I'm good at finding ways for spending my money. :p
Yep.

And I already own lots of games I still need to play. Steam stopped me from pirating once I had money and could afford games because it was easy and convenient for me with less hassle all around. Suddenly take away the ease and convenience and I might as well buy something else or play something else that does.

Hero Prinny

Dec 14, 2018
TWD2 was pretty boring anyway, maybe if I care enough by the time the final episode is out I'll just google clem's fate and be done with it. I don't really feel like playing another one of these anyway

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
a big reason why everyone wants stuff on their own client is to control the data, that includes sales data.
if it was about consumers then stuff like NPD would be open to everyone.
Any and all data is valuable. Its up to the publisher to share that data and anything a store shares out
they will not do without the publishers permission most likely.

exclusive deals are not just about sales, look to retail its done all the time, and it works for what its designed for.
thats why you can only get that certain mountain dew drink at Taco Bell, or those certain flavor chips at a 7-11.
They dont care that they could sell more of X drink or chips in every store, its literally a marketing deal.
sometimes its temp , and the product will expand to other stores, other times the product goes away.

but it definitively works. and its working here, look at how much of your mind is now occupied with the Epic store.
this is really basic marketing. to gain mindshare, and modify behavior. even if you share negative feelings you
are still part of the marketing team. any press is good press. thats why walmart is still going strong despite
everything said about them lol.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
a big reason why everyone wants stuff on their own client is to control the data, that includes sales data.
if it was about consumers then stuff like NPD would be open to everyone.
Any and all data is valuable. Its up to the publisher to share that data and anything a store shares out
they will not do without the publishers permission most likely.

exclusive deals are not just about sales, look to retail its done all the time, and it works for what its designed for.
thats why you can only get that certain mountain dew drink at Taco Bell, or those certain flavor chips at a 7-11.
They dont care that they could sell more of X drink or chips in every store, its literally a marketing deal.
sometimes its temp , and the product will expand to other stores, other times the product goes away.

but it definitively works. and its working here, look at how much of your mind is now occupied with the Epic store.
this is really basic marketing. to gain mindshare, and modify behavior. even if you share negative feelings you
are still part of the marketing team. any press is good press. thats why walmart is still going strong despite
everything said about them lol.
Tbh, they want control period. Data is one part of it, but they also want control over how you use, interact with and talk about their game.

Create your own client and keep your games exclusively on it? Congratulations, you can now stifle significant amounts of negative reviews/feedback, you can limit how people mod your game, and you get to keep complete, ironclad control over your financial information (as well as complete control over the money itself).

Yay consumers.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
TWD2 was pretty boring anyway, maybe if I care enough by the time the final episode is out I'll just google clem's fate and be done with it. I don't really feel like playing another one of these anyway
Saddest part of all this is that what we've got of the Final Season has been really interesting so far..

Reactions: lashman and Ibuki