|OT| The Console Gaming Thread

Jkm23

A mostly console gamer posting from the Brig
Jul 12, 2019
Metacouncil is PC gaming forum at heart. From 2007-2014, I was a PC gamer at heart as well. Now, I'm a more spread out gamer in a brig. What changed?

I got a PS3 in mid 2014. Perfect time for one imo, I've been swimming in the best the system had to offer since. But lets be real, the 7th gen was the dark ages compared to PC gaming by 2010 and it was archaic in 2014. It was always a supplement my various gaming rigs, right up until I got my PS4. The PS4 simply plays modern AAA titles better than my absolute shitbird of a pc does. (my GPU is seven years old and the cpu is a crippled quad core based off of AMD's steamroller refresh. I run Windows 8.1). I still game on my PC but when I had the choice of playing Far Cry 5 on either my PS4 or my PC, PS4 won out. This will continue, until the PS5 slim is released. My PC is now mostly for older titles (of which I have over 125!) and less demanding games. Its just money.

For me, in America, it just doesn't make financial sense to spend upwards of $500 for a new kit with a licensed OS just to play games I can rent from either redbox or my library to test out. Remember renting games? Yeah, its pretty awesome, especially now that demos have died.

But enough about why this thread exists..... Lets talk console gaming! Switch, PS4 and XB1 all over in here. Exclusives, console VR, AAA to Indie, lets talk about how these games run, look and control on our game adapters!

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
My wife got me the XO when I turned 30. Didn't have much in the gaming gear back then due to kids being born and money being a bit tight. Made me realize that even tho I enjoy PC a lot more there's a level of comfort in consoles that PC doesn't offer. It's that you sit down and the game is right in front of you and your focus is there, no Alt-Tabbing to other things while waiting to load etc.

Consoles make you sit through the loading screens and imo that's not a bad thing.

Reactions: Crayon and lashman
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
My wife got me the XO when I turned 30. Didn't have much in the gaming gear back then due to kids being born and money being a bit tight. Made me realize that even tho I enjoy PC a lot more there's a level of comfort in consoles that PC doesn't offer. It's that you sit down and the game is right in front of you and your focus is there, no Alt-Tabbing to other things while waiting to load etc.

Consoles make you sit through the loading screens and imo that's not a bad thing.
I get around being distracted by loading screens by entertaining myself on my side monitor! Play on console and leave yourself free to look up hints! Kinda the opposite of your point but yes, console gaming largely removes the need to tweak.

I have not yet brought up how much simpler it is to set up local multiplayer, a la Rocket League, or local Co Op. Yes, you are stuck buying the fairly fragile DS4 at $55 b but it eliminates the need for dongles or wires when everyone is 10 feet from the display.

I'll list some of my favorite recent console only games

-DriveClub
-Uncharted Series
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Spiderman
-Silent Hill HD (yes I like it, screw you and yes I have the original PC release of EACH GAME too)
-Resistance
-Killzone
-Persona series (all are available on PSN for the PS3)

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayon

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Sup. I have all three major consoles, but I mainly play on PC. I think I own them because I’m a sucker for shiny new electronic shit.

But all three have given me hours upon hours of joy, I’ve even rebought games I played there on a PC (arent I a toxic consumer that doesnt support devs?)

Currently, and despite stating I wouldnt do it, I’m playing Judgment on ps4 (this thing need a proper PC release, its frame drop galore), downloaded DMC V on my Xbox One X last night, and I’m waiting for Astral Chain to release, I even bought a Pro Controller to play it.

Also I will probably buy Control, beat it, give some impressions here and trade it in at my local gamestore for Funkos or some shit.

Reactions: Jkm23 and Crayon
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Sup. I have all three major consoles, but I mainly play on PC. I think I own them because I’m a sucker for shiny new electronic shit.

But all three have given me hours upon hours of joy, I’ve even rebought games I played there on a PC (arent I a toxic consumer that doesnt support devs?)

Currently, and despite stating I wouldnt do it, I’m playing Judgment on ps4 (this thing need a proper PC release, its frame drop galore), downloaded DMC V on my Xbox One X last night, and I’m waiting for Astral Chain to release, I even bought a Pro Controller to play it.

Also I will probably buy Control, beat it, give some impressions here and trade it in at my local gamestore for Funkos or some shit.
Control is something I'm looking forward to no doubt. PC is out of question, both because my PC is running a GTX 660ti and EGS, but its easy to rent for a weekend so I can't swoop in later and buy it on sale. Or, if your library is cool, rent PS4/XBO/PS3/XB360/SW/WiiU/Wii from the library for FREE!!!!

Monooboe

Vagabond Perv Photographer
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
www.fancierlust.com
It's been consoles and computers for me as long as I've gamed. Not sure which came first for me, Commodore 64 or the Magnavox Odyssey 2, I was so young when we got them that I can't fully remember, but played the shit out of both of them. Then Nintendo happened and I was mostly console player through NES, Gameboy and then later SNES and Mega Drive, but then I also got an Amiga 500 which I LOVED and it became my most played. It was like that for awhile and then I got the Playstation and yeah that got the most out of me... until, I sold my Amiga 500 and old consoles and bought a PC! A 486 I bought secondhand and I loved it! (skipped so much school for Diablo) Been PC:ing ever since. Sure I've also got all consoles that have come out (xbox 360 and Dreamcast being my favourites).

Right now, I don't have much other than my MacBook Pro for PC gaming and as of today Nintendo Switch!:D

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Do game resolutions autoadjust or does the res downsamples?
Depends on the game. You can set supersampling as a system-wide option, which will let you "output" to 4K and then choose in games that actively let you choose while defaulting to supersampling otherwise.

Worth noting that some games, like The Last Guardian, only really run smooth on a 1080p display on PS4 Pro. So you may want to check the ERA PS4 Pro enhancements thread to know what the best setting is for the games you'd want to play.

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Depends on the game. You can set supersampling as a system-wide option, which will let you "output" to 4K and then choose in games that actively let you choose while defaulting to supersampling otherwise.

Worth noting that some games, like The Last Guardian, only really run smooth on a 1080p display on PS4 Pro. So you may want to check the ERA PS4 Pro enhancements thread to know what the best setting is for the games you'd want to play.
I see. Thanks for the info. I think I will buy one soon, there’s a lot of games I have to play x.x

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
It's been mostly computers for me, starting with a C64. I had the original Game Boy as a kid and then nothing till the Wii arrived. Which was rather a disappointment. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1+2 and RE4 Wii edition, but that was mostly it.
I then switched to the PS3, in addition to my PC, when I got my first good job. This was late into the PS3 life cycle.

I was very impressed: Uncharted 1-3, God of War 3, MGS 4, Infamous 1+2, Red Dead Redemption, Ratched&Clank and last but not least The Last of Us showed me what I was missing.

I bought a PS4 on day one because of my good PS3 impressions and later upgraded to the Pro: Bloodborne, God of War, Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn are my favorite games this generation, alongside Nier and Witcher 3. You may wonder about HZD, but it has one of the best Sci-Fi stories (in a game) ever. There are of course other good exclusives like Uncharted or Spiderman, but those previously mentioned six games are already classics for me.

I later bought a switch for the kids.

Still, it's always hard for me to go "back" to 30fps. It's a often used and even more often misused cliche, but it's like running against a wall.
I don't want to miss PC gaming just for the freedom in resolution and refresh rate it offers me, but I have to admit: If you're on a budget: console gaming is great and you're missing out on a lot of stuff´if you don't own one id addition to a PC.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
While I've always had a pc with games on it, going back to the C64 my parents had in the late 80s and 90s, starting with the SNES, my brothers and I always had at least one console to play other games/game together on. Consoles were for multiplayer in our house, because our parents live in the sticks and can't even get cable let alone decent internet (even now).

The PC's were always for single player, the usual latest and greatest, and very limited multiplayer. A lot of great times playing Age of Kings over the MS Gaming Zone back in the day because it was nearly lag free. But from 7 years old onwards, my brothers and I always had a nintendo console (until my brother bought a ps3, the heathen!) for local multiplayer with friends or each other.

Of course, we also only got games at christmas or birthdays, so we could play the hell out of most of them by the end of their life cycle and never even thought about trading them in for newer titles. We had decent collection with sports titles in with nintendo titles and star wars games (as kids we were slaves to licensed games, we didnt know better and didn't have magazine subscriptions to tell us otherwise). Now, as an adult with an interest in game preservation i have a ps3, 360, the gamecube my family shared, and my own wiiu that I play on occasionally. I still prefer nintendo consoles and their exclusives and anything else I get for PC. What with rpcs3 and the x360 emulator coming along, I can probably look into getting rid of those two consoles but keep the games. And maybe get a switch if the entire wiiU catalogue comes to the system - otherwise I'll just keep having nintendo consoles from the gamecube forward and PC

Reactions: Crayon and ISee
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I wouldn't jump in on a PS4 pro or an Xbox X unless you plan on getting a 4k display or you know for sure that your going to ride it until the PS5 slim and Xbox Scarlet S or something is released. I got my PS4 Slim for $250 in late 2017, combine that with a $100 gift card and it was the price a GTX 1050ti should be all the time.

As to performance, my PC is total shit, everyone knows I'm rocking a GTX 660ti and an Amd 860k. If I get to 1080 or 1200p and lock it to 30, I'm ahead of the game. I'll take that 30fps in 'cinematic' games and the 60fps target of games like rocket league, call of duty, ect....

Reactions: ISee and Crayon

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I love consoles. I've had all the playstations since early in their respective releases and liked every one very much.

I still pla old consoles from 16 bit up, which I prefer to emulation. Currently I have a switch and of course a PS4. I didn't have plans to buy the PS4 early on, but I don't know if anyone remembers we had that bogus Kmart price match thing... I ran out and scammed one. Not my proudest moment lol but I love being cheap.

We've ended up using that PS4 for thousands of hours. The other half likes using it for media and prefers to play games on it and the switch. I've ended up playing the PS4 way more than I thought I would, and the switch way less than I thought I would...

Until several years ago, I had been using whatever PC at the moment to play light games and emulators. The PlayStations did the heavy lifting.

Fast forward to 2013, I had not bought a discrete GPU since... I think the original rainbow six, and after trying macs for a few years, I decided to give Linux another go with the advent of steam for Linux. That turned out great. Let me play those light games and emulation I liked, and I still had consoles to play most other things.

As Linux support grew, I got my first GPU in forever, and as things continue to grow, I play more and invest more in PC while the consoles get less attention but still going strong. Take Witcher 3 for example. if I had to choose between rebooting to Windows to play it, and dealing with the PlayStation version's compromises, I would plan on console. With the game working perfectly on proton though, getting it on PC is a no-brainer.
Turned out I just needed an os environment I really enjoyed.

I guess that 40% of my time is playing on PC, and 60 is spread around the various consoles, including the old ones.

A little toy computer in a box. I love them. Always have.

Reactions: Pommes and ISee

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I wouldn't jump in on a PS4 pro or an Xbox X unless you plan on getting a 4k display or you know for sure that your going to ride it until the PS5 slim and Xbox Scarlet S or something is released. I got my PS4 Slim for $250 in late 2017, combine that with a $100 gift card and it was the price a GTX 1050ti should be all the time.

As to performance, my PC is total shit, everyone knows I'm rocking a GTX 660ti and an Amd 860k. If I get to 1080 or 1200p and lock it to 30, I'm ahead of the game. I'll take that 30fps in 'cinematic' games and the 60fps target of games like rocket league, call of duty, ect....
I already got a 4k TV that I would like to use more haha

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
So you with Switches, how do you avoid neck pains? I don't know any other way to play comfortably than looking straight down.
You have the lite model right? Are there like stands for it? But I guess that kills the portability side.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Control isn't available on Redbox to rent and I hear it has framerate issues on the PS4. (major ones apparently). I may just continue to sample Shadow of the Tomb raider and other games then. (free from library, might make a trip this Thursday bc its closed this weekend in honor of those who fought for our workers rights!)

Recrees

Probably playing board games rn
Dec 31, 2018
Czechia
So what are some of the absolute must haves to have on the switch? Already have breath of the wild.
Not sure if I would call these absolute must haves, but both Mario Odyssey and Astral Chain are really good. I would also get Bayonetta 2 if you missed that one on Wii U, it has to be my favorite Platinum game.

Reactions: Monooboe

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Monooboe Definitely take a look at Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle! It's a great game with tons of charm and personality and the Rabbids always made me chuckle.

edit: Vostok Inc. is worth a look too.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Sooooo

God of War (2018) is a looker, runs smooth and handles great! I renewed it for a second week to play some more of it. I also sampled a bit more of Shadow of the Tomb Raider... which, while reminding me a bit too much of Uncharted (yes, I did play Tomb Raider 2013), its got enough of a few different hooks for me to keep it around another week.

Later this month I'll be renting Evil Within 2 and I may finally jump into Control. Spooky season is set to begin and combined with Layers of Fear ( I'm halfway through and saved it for the season), I'd like to get some AAA horror going. (I save my indie/weird/crazy shit for PC bc steam delivers the goods)

Final thought, the performance issues that are plaguing control are making me a bit concerned for 2020 and the big releases that will send this console gen off with a bang. I have no problem with 30fps, never had and never will but 15 fps affects gameplay and I don't have time or money to waste while there are so many quality games in existence.

Reactions: ISee
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I'll come clean, I don't like Nintendo. They're the apple of gaming to me, sorry not sorry. Please do not let that stop you from discussing switch things here.

kio

Apr 19, 2019
Due to recent changes in my company I'll soon be traveling a lot and will barely be able to use my gaming desktop, so after almost 20 years of exclusively gaming on pc I'm considering buying a switch to help me pass the time while I'm away from home but I'm finding it really hard to justify spending 300+€ on an underpowered plastic thing and the cost of each game seems insane to me considering how much more diversified the options on pc are.

I remember reading somewhere that a newer more powerful model was being developed, is this true? Is there any tentative release date window for it?

Also while we're at it, how good is it (software and hardware-wise)? How long does the battery usually last? Is the handheld position comfortable for the user? Does it tend to get hot when using it this way? Are the software (games) typically well optimized to use it this way?

m_dorian

May 22, 2019
There are times I was thinking about getting a Switch as a portable means of playing games like Stardew Valley but my main hope is to somehow allocate the budget for getting a PS4 because of their quality exclusives.
Like Ghost of Tsushima.

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
There are times I was thinking about getting a Switch as a portable means of playing games like Stardew Valley but my main hope is to somehow allocate the budget for getting a PS4 because of their quality exclusives.
Like Ghost of Tsushima.
But Zelda

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

m_dorian

May 22, 2019
I never owned a Nintendo machine and the only Zelda I played was a few minutes browser ported old one, its name escapes me.
I know there is a Nintendo mania but I have no experience to understand it.

Reactions: Crayon

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I never owned a Nintendo machine and the only Zelda I played was a few minutes browser ported old one, its name escapes me.
I know there is a Nintendo mania but I have no experience to understand it.
The Switch is fantastic. Performance is often compromised sure but the flexibility of docked and portable makes up for that.

Also, it is genuinely funny to see people excited for the State of Play stream, given they all have been terrible.

Sakhr

Sep 15, 2019
Anyone getting switch lite? I might get it because it's better to have it during breaks for indie games and the occasional Nintendo games

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Anyone getting switch lite? I might get it because it's better to have it during breaks for indie games and the occasional Nintendo games
I like the look of it but $200 plus buying the games is a major ask.

I'm without my PC and PS4 this weekend so..... Its PS3 plus VGA (4:3, Sony Trinitron) time!! I'll post screen shots for you guys.

Sakhr

Sep 15, 2019
I like the look of it but $200 plus buying the games is a major ask.
I find it better then the GPD Win at the very least. I'll wait for more reviews and impressions and see how it goes.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I find it better then the GPD Win at the very least. I'll wait for more reviews and impressions and see how it goes.
Someone brought up an issue, if the joy cons on the switch lite develop a problem, how do you fix it? Not an amazing thought.

I'd give it at least 6 weeks for other people to pay into the Beta/Alpha test.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I've never owned a Nintendo product either. I use my PS4 a lot, heaps of fantastic exclusives. I also have an XBoNE S but that is really just used as a bluray/4k player and sometimes for Netflix when I want to force HDR off on my TV. I hate bad HDR and a lot of Netflix is bad but there is no way to disable it on my TV or the app. I can disable it on the HDMI port from the Xbone.

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I've never owned a Nintendo product either. I use my PS4 a lot, heaps of fantastic exclusives. I also have an XBoNE S but that is really just used as a bluray/4k player and sometimes for Netflix when I want to force HDR off on my TV. I hate bad HDR and a lot of Netflix is bad but there is no way to disable it on my TV or the app. I can disable it on the HDMI port from the Xbone.
You should give the switch a try :D

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Apparently someone has made a 60fps patch for Astral Chain, with a little caveat: cutscenes are running twice as fast with this patch.

I still have to play this.

Gosh, so much shit to play already and I still want to keep buying more.

Reactions: Kvik

daxy

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Anyone want to go in on a (EU) Switch online family sub together or have a slot that I can get in? 20 euros p/y isn't much but I'm cheap!

Edit: covered, you can get a little discount on cdkeys turns out.

Last edited:
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
PlayStation State of Play....

Obviously the draw here is TLOU2.

I'm about to contradict myself in a major way, all in one statement. I fell in love with TLOU and completed it in enthralled spurts, after fighting through some frustrations. TLOU2 doesn't move the needle for me in anyway, seems almost comically brutal, a parody of itself. Its a shame that Naughty Dog made this game. I may be wrong but the original TLOU and Left Behind (which in my mind, are really the same game as I'm sure the left behind stuff was simply cut from the original vision) could only be lessened by explaining what happens after the credits roll. Sorry.

Otherwise than that, with the improvements made to Control, I'm feeling better than ever about choosing to hitch my wagon to the PS4 a couple of years ago.

In other news, I finally figured out the combat in Ni No Kuni and my PS3 got the most playing time last week and may get the most playing time this week as well.... A shameful display. :cryingwhyblob: