|OT| The Console Gaming Thread

daxy

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Finished A Link to the Past through SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE. And, yep, it's still a fantastic game. I don't even have a strong sense of nostalgia for it. The first time I played it was on Wii through virtual console, IIRC. I was looking up a few videos of A Link Between Worlds because I thought of playing through that (again) next. As good as it is, that art style is not great and it doesn't hold up very well. Also hoping to get an order in for the SNES controller next month. Looks like Nintendo finally put out a controller with an acceptable D-pad again. Haven't seen anyone mention using it on a PC, but I suppose it should work just fine.

xinek

Apr 17, 2019
Finished A Link to the Past through SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE. And, yep, it's still a fantastic game. I don't even have a strong sense of nostalgia for it. The first time I played it was on Wii through virtual console, IIRC. I was looking up a few videos of A Link Between Worlds because I thought of playing through that (again) next. As good as it is, that art style is not great and it doesn't hold up very well. Also hoping to get an order in for the SNES controller next month. Looks like Nintendo finally put out a controller with an acceptable D-pad again. Haven't seen anyone mention using it on a PC, but I suppose it should work just fine.
I just finished Link's Awakening on the Switch, and I have to recommend 8bitdo's newest controller if Nintendo pulls its limited supply shenanigans again and you're unable to get one of theirs. I've been using this fairly regularly on LA and Axiom Verge, and everything about it is super solid. SN30 Pro G Classic or SN30 Pro SN | 8BitDo

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

A Gamer posting from the brig
Jul 12, 2019
So, since this game will be releasing Sonys two current home consoles, I'll discuss it here.

I'm...... not sold on TLOU2. I enjoyed my time with TLOU in spurts, no doubt. It was one of the games I rented from my local library Nov 2014 that brought me all the way into the PS3 ecosystem. (late as fuck but i'm late to shit and I'm a fuck) Due to the challenge, the experience being tailored successfully to be not "fun", I finally finished it in the summer of 2016. I've play the DLC, which I still think was just levels cut from the original game. I consider it one complete, seamless package of a game. It had a definitive end and everything I've read and seen has not brought me past the barrier of "a sequel has nothing to add to this".

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
aLttP just has really great pacing for me. The dungeon design's really good too. Between Worlds is one of the very few that I've never played.

Do you think the SNES controller will work out of the box for PC? I think pro controller does, and I've used joycons on PC pretty easily.

Reactions: NarohDethan

daxy

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
aLttP just has really great pacing for me. The dungeon design's really good too. Between Worlds is one of the very few that I've never played.

Do you think the SNES controller will work out of the box for PC? I think pro controller does, and I've used joycons on PC pretty easily.
Read a post on era today that it does. Not a lot of details, just that it's recognized by Steam. So that's good at least.

Reactions: sauce

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I hate how FIFA is literally Perfect for Switch™ and EA fucked it up by giving up and just shit out a Legacy Edition already.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I really want to play NHL 20... so I bought it... also this...

SHIP FASTER DAMN YOU

How do I get free Xbox Live y'all?
A weird trick is call up Bill Gates and say that you're dying and you want to spend what little time you have left using playing Gears 5 with your estranged but now long distance S.O.

Congrats on the Xbox.

So, PS5. There is a thread already but I'm of the mind that this OT will be around for a long time so, some thoughts.

The new GPU and CPU are actually the things that excite me the least, mostly because I've been through that phase of my gaming life already. Pushing more pixels just to push more pixels is reaching "uncanny valley" territory. Controller upgrades, OS upgrades, VR intergration, possibly things like 'performance mode' available on base systems for 1080 users and most critically, backwards compatibility. Minimum, I need 75% of the PS4 library playable to even think about purchasing a PS5 in 2021 or 2022. In a perfect world, they wouldn't abandon the PS3 and they provide a BC solution there.

Reactions: deftones r cool

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
It kinda sucks that consoles now are underpowered PCs than custom designs, it sucks so much of the fun of expecting the release of a new one.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
It kinda sucks that consoles now are underpowered PCs than custom designs, it sucks so much of the fun of expecting the release of a new one.
Meh, its all about that interface, service and software baby. Gimme that access to unique and useful control options/features, software shit like partial install, improved suspend and rest modes and gimme them games and sub services!

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Meh, its all about that interface, service and software baby. Gimme that access to unique and useful control options/features, software shit like partial install, improved suspend and rest modes and gimme them games and sub services!
So, Switch best console?
I want a pair of those Purple/Orange joycons but the cost half the amount of a full Lite, what the fuck

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
So, Switch best console?
I want a pair of those Purple/Orange joycons but the cost half the amount of a full Lite, what the fuck
Best is subjective. The RTX 2080ti is the 'best' graphics card but I'd never want one in a low profile lower power console like case.

Nintendo is expensive, that isn't going to change. If there's value in having a switch to you, get it. I think the switch refresh would be a nice console, especially if you were all in on the nintendo ecosystem and got all of the special controllers and the best games.

deftones r cool

I̷n̴t̵o̸ ̷t̷h̵e̶ ̵v̵o̵i̸d̵
Apr 19, 2019
So what are some 360 games that are BC on Xbone I should keep an eye out for? I know theres a master list but does anyone have any personal recommendations?