|OT| The Console Gaming Thread

daxy

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Finished A Link to the Past through SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE. And, yep, it's still a fantastic game. I don't even have a strong sense of nostalgia for it. The first time I played it was on Wii through virtual console, IIRC. I was looking up a few videos of A Link Between Worlds because I thought of playing through that (again) next. As good as it is, that art style is not great and it doesn't hold up very well. Also hoping to get an order in for the SNES controller next month. Looks like Nintendo finally put out a controller with an acceptable D-pad again. Haven't seen anyone mention using it on a PC, but I suppose it should work just fine.

xinek

Apr 17, 2019
Finished A Link to the Past through SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE. And, yep, it's still a fantastic game. I don't even have a strong sense of nostalgia for it. The first time I played it was on Wii through virtual console, IIRC. I was looking up a few videos of A Link Between Worlds because I thought of playing through that (again) next. As good as it is, that art style is not great and it doesn't hold up very well. Also hoping to get an order in for the SNES controller next month. Looks like Nintendo finally put out a controller with an acceptable D-pad again. Haven't seen anyone mention using it on a PC, but I suppose it should work just fine.
I just finished Link's Awakening on the Switch, and I have to recommend 8bitdo's newest controller if Nintendo pulls its limited supply shenanigans again and you're unable to get one of theirs. I've been using this fairly regularly on LA and Axiom Verge, and everything about it is super solid. SN30 Pro G Classic or SN30 Pro SN | 8BitDo

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

A mostly console gamer posting from the Brig
Jul 12, 2019
So, since this game will be releasing Sonys two current home consoles, I'll discuss it here.

I'm...... not sold on TLOU2. I enjoyed my time with TLOU in spurts, no doubt. It was one of the games I rented from my local library Nov 2014 that brought me all the way into the PS3 ecosystem. (late as fuck but i'm late to shit and I'm a fuck) Due to the challenge, the experience being tailored successfully to be not "fun", I finally finished it in the summer of 2016. I've play the DLC, which I still think was just levels cut from the original game. I consider it one complete, seamless package of a game. It had a definitive end and everything I've read and seen has not brought me past the barrier of "a sequel has nothing to add to this".

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
aLttP just has really great pacing for me. The dungeon design's really good too. Between Worlds is one of the very few that I've never played.

Do you think the SNES controller will work out of the box for PC? I think pro controller does, and I've used joycons on PC pretty easily.

Reactions: NarohDethan

daxy

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
aLttP just has really great pacing for me. The dungeon design's really good too. Between Worlds is one of the very few that I've never played.

Do you think the SNES controller will work out of the box for PC? I think pro controller does, and I've used joycons on PC pretty easily.
Read a post on era today that it does. Not a lot of details, just that it's recognized by Steam. So that's good at least.

Reactions: sauce

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I hate how FIFA is literally Perfect for Switch™ and EA fucked it up by giving up and just shit out a Legacy Edition already.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I really want to play NHL 20... so I bought it... also this...

SHIP FASTER DAMN YOU

How do I get free Xbox Live y'all?
A weird trick is call up Bill Gates and say that you're dying and you want to spend what little time you have left using playing Gears 5 with your estranged but now long distance S.O.

Congrats on the Xbox.

So, PS5. There is a thread already but I'm of the mind that this OT will be around for a long time so, some thoughts.

The new GPU and CPU are actually the things that excite me the least, mostly because I've been through that phase of my gaming life already. Pushing more pixels just to push more pixels is reaching "uncanny valley" territory. Controller upgrades, OS upgrades, VR intergration, possibly things like 'performance mode' available on base systems for 1080 users and most critically, backwards compatibility. Minimum, I need 75% of the PS4 library playable to even think about purchasing a PS5 in 2021 or 2022. In a perfect world, they wouldn't abandon the PS3 and they provide a BC solution there.

Reactions: deftones r cool

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
It kinda sucks that consoles now are underpowered PCs than custom designs, it sucks so much of the fun of expecting the release of a new one.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
It kinda sucks that consoles now are underpowered PCs than custom designs, it sucks so much of the fun of expecting the release of a new one.
Meh, its all about that interface, service and software baby. Gimme that access to unique and useful control options/features, software shit like partial install, improved suspend and rest modes and gimme them games and sub services!

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Meh, its all about that interface, service and software baby. Gimme that access to unique and useful control options/features, software shit like partial install, improved suspend and rest modes and gimme them games and sub services!
So, Switch best console?
I want a pair of those Purple/Orange joycons but the cost half the amount of a full Lite, what the fuck

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
So, Switch best console?
I want a pair of those Purple/Orange joycons but the cost half the amount of a full Lite, what the fuck
Best is subjective. The RTX 2080ti is the 'best' graphics card but I'd never want one in a low profile lower power console like case.

Nintendo is expensive, that isn't going to change. If there's value in having a switch to you, get it. I think the switch refresh would be a nice console, especially if you were all in on the nintendo ecosystem and got all of the special controllers and the best games.

deftones r cool

I̷n̴t̵o̸ ̷t̷h̵e̶ ̵v̵o̵i̸d̵
Apr 19, 2019
So what are some 360 games that are BC on Xbone I should keep an eye out for? I know theres a master list but does anyone have any personal recommendations?

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
So what are some 360 games that are BC on Xbone I should keep an eye out for? I know theres a master list but does anyone have any personal recommendations?
I haven't seen the master list so I'm not sure if they're available, but any of those exclusive JRPGs that Microsoft funded like Blue Dragon. Also the obvious rec for the Banjo games

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I love how console fanboys shit on The Switcher 3 and talk about the ‘real’ console versions but when a PC person tells them that their ports are shit suddenly performance is subjective, cinematic, cant tell from 15 to 30fps, etc.

deftones r cool

Apr 19, 2019
Xbox one arrived today.

Took forever to connect to my wifi for whatever reason then I literally got some... "we didnt need to update your console after all, whoops!" Wanted to change my edgy gamertag from original Xbox days and was quickly prompted to pay 9.99. Just used a new email instead. Falling asleep now as I wait for rare replay to finish installing... even Banjo Kazooie which installed first got grating w the intro and that Rare 64 pseudo babble speak. I'm just gonna sleep for now.

I better love NHL 20 or I'm gonna feel real dumb. Glad to have this thing here finally, I must admit. Just forgot how much I loved PC.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I love consoles because I had to replace a lightblub on my car and had another bill of $70 a couple of days ago but I get to play Control for free in a couple days once my hold from the library comes in. I can take it out 7! times too lol.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I love how console fanboys shit on The Switcher 3 and talk about the ‘real’ console versions but when a PC person tells them that their ports are shit suddenly performance is subjective, cinematic, cant tell from 15 to 30fps, etc.
It's always been like this. Somehow the exact performance and image quality of someone's favorite console just happens to be the combination that perfectly satisfies their needs. Anything above that is unnecessary and everything below that is unacceptable.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
It's always been like this. Somehow the exact performance and image quality of someone's favorite console just happens to be the combination that perfectly satisfies their needs. Anything above that is unnecessary and everything below that is unacceptable.
People want to feel good about things they own and use. What goods you consume and purchase are a reflection on your values and intelligence, to a lot of people. Its silly but it is what it is. Weak number crunching console vs "stronger" console vs PC gaming (which is everything from my personal lolputer shitbox to dual 2080tis) will always be a thing and each level will have its dedicated defense force.

You're not what you consume, at least not entirely. Easy to lose sight of that.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah it's just the sunk cost fallacy. Like if they thought it through at all, PC would be the obvious value proposition over any console for the diverse form factor (hook it up to your tv, play on your monitor, stream it to your phone/tv/computer, invest in gpd win or nvidia shield), free online, theoretically infinite backwards compatibility, and modularity of the system (e.g. swapping out your graphics card for a better one). The only differential is what exclusives the consoles have, which is the only thing keeping me in Nintendo's ecosystem lol.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah it's just the sunk cost fallacy. Like if they thought it through at all, PC would be the obvious value proposition over any console for the diverse form factor (hook it up to your tv, play on your monitor, stream it to your phone/tv/computer, invest in gpd win or nvidia shield), free online, theoretically infinite backwards compatibility, and modularity of the system (e.g. swapping out your graphics card for a better one). The only differential is what exclusives the consoles have, which is the only thing keeping me in Nintendo's ecosystem lol.
It is that. However, the hardware that is exclusive to game consoles does have it's merits. As usual, nintendo leads with this. The things that you can do with joy cons can't be easily replicated in the PC experience. It can be done, for the most part, but its worth a buy in to the ecosystem.

Reactions: sauce

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
It is that. However, the hardware that is exclusive to game consoles does have it's merits. As usual, nintendo leads with this. The things that you can do with joy cons can't be easily replicated in the PC experience. It can be done, for the most part, but its worth a buy in to the ecosystem.
Oh yeah for sure. I always appreciate what funky things Nintendo comes up with for their hardware, even if it doesn't end up that well utilized. Thankfully that's not the case with Switch. God I wish there were a way to stream Steam to it

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Oh yeah for sure. I always appreciate what funky things Nintendo comes up with for their hardware, even if it doesn't end up that well utilized. Thankfully that's not the case with Switch. God I wish there were a way to stream Steam to it
I've never even played with gyro aiming but I can tell you that I want to. Maybe one day.... Compared to nintendo, xbox and playstation have basically "solved" their controller issue and I doubt we see major changes. I hope we get something funky.... And for the love of god please let me use a PS5 controller with my PS4, a la PS4 controller to PS3.

deftones r cool

Apr 19, 2019
I've fallen head over heels for this Xbox One S. This GamePass Ultimate $1 trial has totally sold me on the service. $15 sounds fair. I just hope they stick with the pricing.

Anyone else on live? Add me. Same name as here

I dont have any Xbox friends yet =(

Last edited:
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
My library hold on Control came in on Sunday! I've been busy playing during my free time since then.

Game impressions: Its feels like alan wake and max payne without the slow motion and with the gravity gun. I'm ok with this. The setting, story and pace are all excellent, can't wait to go home tonight and keep digging into "the oldest house"
Console specific impressions: My PS4 slim isn't the best at pushing pixels and boy this game hammers that point home. Two major issues are the texture pop in and the (still!) slowdowns during combat. What scares me is that from the videos I've seen of this thing on release, drops to 20-22 fps is a huge improvement! Its adequate and no way in fuck am I spending top dollar on a PC anytime soon.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Question for you folks; Google Stadia is releasing soon. I'm on the side of Stadia being a console, due to the unique hardware, exclusive content, walled garden storefront and full priced games. However, an argument can be made for it being a platform, like steam, for obvious similarities.

What do you think?

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Question for you folks; Google Stadia is releasing soon. I'm on the side of Stadia being a console, due to the unique hardware, exclusive content, walled garden storefront and full priced games. However, an argument can be made for it being a platform, like steam, for obvious similarities.

What do you think?
For me, Stadia is a console that happens to be stream only,

I'm playing Doom 1993 on my Switch and holy crap this is amazing.

Reactions: Jkm23 and xinek
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
So, some console discussion this slowish afternoon;

1: Its likely that the PS5 will start at $499. While this does not phase me, as I'm not making the jump until a year after the PS5 slim releases, there are a lot of people who are less than pleased or resigned to paying that price. $500 is an ask, sure but if features like backwards compatibility and ray tracing are strong, it will be a better value than the PS4 was on release. Its all in the details.
2: TLOU:2, Ghosts of Tsushima are going to be delayed into later 2020 dates. TLOU:2, May 29th 2020. Ghosts, we don't know. To me, this immediately weakens the desire and ability of many games to shell out for a PS5. That's over $120 in software ALONE, with many hardcore gamers already dedicated to $300 or more in software with how fucking stacked 2020 is.

「Echo」

Fīat jūstitia ruat cælum.
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is Mary Skelter 2 really Switch exclusive in the west?
At least it's nice to they include the first game for free.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
PC discussion...... :disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob:

:face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: I know nothing about most Japanese releases beyond major AAA and things like Persona lol.

「Echo」

Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Our World is Ended price on eShop: $41 (currently on sale 30% off $59.99)

Price on Steam: $39.99 (not even on sale.)

What in the actual heck is this?

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
Our World is Ended price on eShop: $41 (currently on sale 30% off $59.99)

Price on Steam: $39.99 (not even on sale.)

What in the actual heck is this?
Welcome to Nintendo! Almost every third party game has the Portable DLC Nintendo Tax :p

Also, hey look Gun Gun Pixies? What is tha...

Oh.

「Echo」

Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Welcome to Nintendo! Almost every third party game has the Portable DLC Nintendo Tax :p

Also, hey look Gun Gun Pixies? What is tha...

Oh.
I liked it well enough on Vita (Exclusive to Japan), but I also liked SHADE's other Vita works such as Bullet Girls 1 and 2 lol. SHADE was a masterful developer on Vita, their games had 60FPS and achieved native res. I'm very curious how the Switch version holds up and if they bothered to up the resolution or what.

I never did beat the Vita version, the platforming controls were just too floaty with Vita's tiny little sticks. So in that sense I am also curious if the Switch version fixes that...

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
I liked it well enough on Vita (Exclusive to Japan), but I also liked SHADE's other Vita works such as Bullet Girls 1 and 2 lol. SHADE was a masterful developer on Vita, their games had 60FPS and achieved native res. I'm very curious how the Switch version holds up and if they bothered to up the resolution or what.

I never did beat the Vita version, the platforming controls were just too floaty with Vita's tiny little sticks. So in that sense I am also curious if the Switch version fixes that...
I saw a Youtube video and it looked 30fps to me.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018

Finally bought myself Last Window: The Secret of Cape West! It's a German copy but it's the cheapest I've seen so far and it's completely playable in English.

Looking forward to see that one in the mail this week!

Last edited:

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018

Finally bought myself Last Window: The Secret of Cape West! It's a German copy but it's the cheapest I've seen so far and it's completely playable in English.

Wow, I've never even heard of that one lol. Considering how big the library was, I wonder how much of it is still in the wild out there. Probably a lot of games slipped through the cracks for preservation

Reactions: Spamlynguist

C-Dub

Someone
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com

Excellent sequel to Hotel Dusk. Very much a similar beast, however. CiNG were on their way out as this game was releasing, so a lot of the themes are about things coming to an end and such.

Wow, I've never even heard of that one lol. Considering how big the library was, I wonder how much of it is still in the wild out there. Probably a lot of games slipped through the cracks for preservation
Nintendo of America passed on this one, so it didn't get as much exposure as the game before it, Hotel Dusk. I think this was around the time they were also passing up games like Xenoblade and such, leaving it to NoE to localise them.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah it's amazing how many obscure DS games there are, I love collecting for that system!

Is this anything like the Jake Hunter series? :02notes:
I haven't played any of the Jake Hunter games, but what I've seen from some YT videos they're pretty similar!

Reactions: Kvik