News The Cowardly Crimes Of Dastardly Denuvo (The Jimquisition)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The problem with piracy is the measures employed to combat it showcase utter contempt for the paying customers.

This is something Ubisoft once directly acknowledged, before tanking the performance of Assassin's Creed Odyssey with a double layer of DRM.

Denuvo, meanwhile, is embraced by the game industry despite a laundry list of problems and failures. Let's look at why Denuvo is rubbish.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Wait is AC Odyssey's performance actually proven to be hampered by it's DRM implementation? That's really unfortunate, cuz even with an 8700k it sometimes makes my CPU scream. Really curious now if without DRM it would chill the heck out and some of the random frame-time spikes would stop.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wait is AC Odyssey's performance actually proven to be hampered by it's DRM implementation? That's really unfortunate, cuz even with an 8700k it sometimes makes my CPU scream. Really curious now if without DRM it would chill the heck out and some of the random frame-time spikes would stop.
not 100% ... Voksi kinda/sorta provided a lot of data back then (with screenshots etc.) ... but ubi as usual just said that it's not true

and since there is no way to rip out denuvo out of anything (just bypass) - there is also no way to see if it actually does

games that remove denuvo in a patch also aren't really a proof because the patch could've also affected performance regardless of denuvo removal

etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Gah! That's frustrating. As usual then, my stance remains that ALL DRM should include a self-destruct that executes after 30 days.

... or that Devs should remove it upon failure. Like once it stops doing it's job what's the point in continuing to punish legit customers? :(

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Gah! That's frustrating. As usual then, my stance remains that ALL DRM should include a self-destruct that executes after 30 days.

... or that Devs should remove it upon failure. Like once it stops doing it's job what's the point in continuing to punish legit customers? :(
there is no point ... at all ... especially since they KNOW it doesn't do jack shit

they're doing it purely to shut shareholders up ... to show them they're doing something to stop piracy

i believe someone (a dev) said that in some interview iirc

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
AC Oddysey's Denuvo is wrapped in VMProtect, which according to their webpage loads code into a virtualized environment, depending on the implementation even different pieces of code into different virtual machines.

No way that's not affecting performance.

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I am cautious about buying games that have embedded DRM. Not a fan of it personally. It just makes the paying customer suffer. But this is the triple aaaaaaa industry we are talking about, so long as shareholders are happy, who cares..!

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I'm don't even think it's for shareholders. Upper management / executive level people at these companies are always the ones saying really uninformed things about piracy and DRM. There's no reason to believe that management is just magically better in software companies than other companies, so I can easily believe that Denuvo spins a good tale and a sales pitch lays within and the company buys it up.

Pretty much every data analysis done has shown DRM does nothing more than a rounding error against piracy, but I work at a software company and management does not care about research on anything, software related, office related, or otherwise. They go with what they were taught and what business culture has said for decades. The RIAA lost more money fighting piracy than they did to piracy and no one seems to remember that.

I would much rather SEGA just takes however many hundreds of thousands or whatever they spend on Denuvo and like, buy their developers lunch or hire a few more or something. It would be infinitely more productive to their bottom line.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

Day 1 patches for all.