News The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC

Ubisoft has announced it is partnering with Epic to bring The Division 2 to the latter's Epic Games store come launch on March 15, as well as on its own Ubisoft store. It won't be hitting on Steam at that time, however meaning the franchise is effectively jumping ship.

Pre-orders for The Division 2 on the Epic Games Store are now live for the standard, gold, and ultimate editions of the game. In its press release of the announcement of this news, Ubisoft says the two companies are working together to "integrate key components of Ubisoft’s Uplay and Epic’s online services," which likely means buying the game on the Epic store will work similarly to how buying a Ubisoft game on Steam works now, including being able to access Uplay no matter what store you buy it on.

Any preorder on the Epic Games Store will get guaranteed access to the game's private beta ahead of launch. If you already preordered The Division 2 elsewhere, your access to the beta is still honored, but from here on out, Epic's store is where you go for the private beta.

Kuro

Shadows Die Twice
Dec 22, 2018
I'm okay with this.
Aren't the keys sold on Steam just glorified uPlay keys?

Reactions: lashman

Anteater

Someone please take me to AA
Sep 20, 2018
I'm okay with this.
kind of, but you have to launch both uplay and steam to play those games

i don't actually care because i buy their games on uplay sometimes if they're cheaper, I actually don't like it when uplay launches steam on top of uplay, so I guess this news won't bother me since i still have the option to just buy on uplay
Post automatically merged:

Reactions: lashman and Kuro
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
I'm okay with this.
Which is why it doesn't really make that much sense to me.

In this case, Steam is just like any other storefront, selling keys to their crummy launcher. If Steam's cut affronts you (assuming that's the issue), why not just go wholesale into launching exclusively on your own launcher like Bethesda seems to be planning?

NeuralProxy

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Italy
At the end of the day this might turn out to be a smart move by Ubisoft. They probably took money from Epic to go exclusive on their store and they will most likely keep selling their usual Uplay version as well. With Steam out of the picture most people will just buy the Uplay version, which is usually cheaper, so they'll take those money from Epic and a 100% cut on sales.

Reactions: lashman and Sampson
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
The main thing I want to know at this point is what their research predicts the conversion rate for the average Fortnite player is going to be towards traditional games (indie or AAA) on the EGS.

We'll never know, but I'd love to see that market research.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I find this bizarre. Most of my Ubisoft games are just on uplay as I can buy the keys cheaper elsewhere or even use the 20% code on uplay direct. I presumed they also sold on Steam with the hybrid way of launching as they wanted to also sell in the main PC marketplace, I don't see the point in putting it on Epic store instead of Steam.

FunktionJCB

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Oct 10, 2018
What a fucking joke.
So, Ubisoft essentially made a deal to not sell on Steam? I mean, it's not exclusive, since the game is on the Ubi Store, it's purely a deal to not offer the game on Steam, one that was listed on Steam for months.

In an incredible irony, earlier today I wanted to pre-order 3 games that are coming out more or less soon: Tropico 6 (which I bought today from Fanatical), Far Cry: New Dawn (which I bought today from Steam), and The Division 2 (which still didn't have a price on Steam, which I found strange, since the game has been up to pre-order for ages at other stores). Now I know why.

I could buy the game from the Ubi Store, since it's not Epic Store exclusive (and I don't have major objections to their client), but you know what: this is such a shitty, screw our PC fan base move, I'll simply skip the game. I would have taken this a lot better is they simply decided to have their games only on their own client/store. But, remove it from a store to take it to the Epic Games Store? Yeah, screw them.
I spent years not buying any games from Ubisoft, I'll simply go back to this stance.
Now, I just have to decide if I'm refunding my Steam purchase of Far Cry: New Dawn.

This past Steam Winter Sale, I added a few more hundred games to my backlog, fully expecting this year to be a year of change in my buying habits.
I'm moving to a new house, I may move to a new city sooner or later, the time I have to game is not what it used to be, and this recent, sad trend of wanting to "force me" to buy games at stores I don't wish to support in any way, were all factors that made me go ahead, and spend a few hundred euros buying pretty much every game I wanted to play soon, knowing I could stop, or greatly reduce, my purchases this year.
So, having said this. I'm very comfortable not supporting a company, like Ubisoft, that pulls moves such as this.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Epic is the real life Scrooge McDuck, this is going to have big and bad repercusions for the Pc. We know from console wars how the exclusives battle ended. Everybody lost, the companies and the users.

Fortnite is producing an implosion, who would have thought that when they launched the game...

BlueOdin

Hideous Kojima Junior
Dec 3, 2018
Dschörmähnie
I honestly don't know what Epic thinks it gets from this deal.

Are so many more people looking at the Epic Games Store than they are on Steam thinking "The Division 2 looks dope!" and buying it than on Steam? People who are interested in the Division 2 are most likely looking at the Steam Store, wondering where it is, google/bing/duckduckgo it and mostly likely find the uPlay Store other than Epic buys that adspace. Heck, if they played The Division or any other Ubisoft game in the last 8 (?) years they already have an uPlay account making setting up an Epic Account for buying a game that requires another client anyway pretty pointless.

But gotta spend that Fortnite munny somehow, I guess.

FunktionJCB

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Oct 10, 2018
I'm perplexed by the logic of some people I see posting online.
They're soooooo upset by this move, and Ubisoft sucks for doing this, so they are simply going ahead and buy the game anyway, from Uplay.
Really? So, they're essentially rewarding a shitty company, and a shitty, consumer-unfriendly move with a purchase, and more money?

Yeah, that will show them. :sneaky:

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money.
But, if you want to "punish" a company for something you don't agree with, how is buying the game anyway, from a store they receive even more money from your purchase, is any sort of protest, or reactionary move?
Is it that hard to skip a game?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Interesting choice for Ubi here. I guess this is very much an experiment for everyone involved, and this could very much determine if future AC games come to Steam or not. I would love know the details of Epic's money hatting though. To sway a company like Ubi, you'd need serious amounts of cash.

Anteater

Sep 20, 2018
I honestly don't know what Epic thinks it gets from this deal.

Are so many more people looking at the Epic Games Store than they are on Steam thinking "The Division 2 looks dope!" and buying it than on Steam? People who are interested in the Division 2 are most likely looking at the Steam Store, wondering where it is, google/bing/duckduckgo it and mostly likely find the uPlay Store other than Epic buys that adspace. Heck, if they played The Division or any other Ubisoft game in the last 8 (?) years they already have an uPlay account making setting up an Epic Account for buying a game that requires another client anyway pretty pointless.

But gotta spend that Fortnite munny somehow, I guess.
It's more like Epic don't want it on Steam more than them wanting to pull uplay users to Epic Store (although that can still happen), I'm thinking in Ubi's perspective: a lot of users interested in the game will still be buying on uplay (some people like me already do because like I said I still gotta use uplay anyway), while also exposing the game to fortnite players. In Epic's perspective: They got another exclusive on their store that Steam don't have and their fortnite player base will/might buy more games there since they already use their client.

At the end of the day people will use whatever client they have to use to play their games. Like the popular non steam multiplayer games.

Kuro

Shadows Die Twice
Dec 22, 2018
I'm perplexed by the logic of some people I see posting online.
They're soooooo upset by this move, and Ubisoft sucks for doing this, so they are simply going ahead and buy the game anyway, from Uplay.
Really? So, they're essentially rewarding a shitty company, and a shitty, consumer-unfriendly move with a purchase, and more money?

Yeah, that will show them. :sneaky:

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money.
But, if you want to "punish" a company for something you don't agree with, how is buying the game anyway, from a store they receive even more money from your purchase, is any sort of protest, or reactionary move?
Is it that hard to skip a game?
I'd love to believe that most people put more importance on actually playing the games, than petty politics of the publishers.

Reactions: Matimeo and lashman

doctorcdcs

Dec 31, 2018
Doesn't really matter to me to be honest. I'd rather have it on uplay anyways. Was never a big fan of having to load multiple launchers in order to play a game.

EdwardTivrusky

See You Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
It's more like Epic don't want it on Steam more than them wanting to pull uplay users to Epic Store (although that can still happen), I'm thinking in Ubi's perspective: a lot of users interested in the game will still be buying on uplay (some people like me already do because like I said I still gotta use uplay anyway), while also exposing the game to fortnite players. In Epic's perspective: They got another exclusive on their store that Steam don't have and their fortnite player base will/might buy more games there since they already use their client.

At the end of the day people will use whatever client they have to use to play their games. Like the popular non steam multiplayer games.

Anteater

Sep 20, 2018
What other big western publishers are left on steam at this point?
Rockstar leaving is likely, they probably don't even need Epic anyway but they probably know most of their userbase will have to use their store so they may as well promote them there.

then Square-Enix (I know they're not all western but still)

Last edited:
Reactions: Matimeo and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

See You Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Rockstar leaving is likely, they probably don't even need Epic anyway but they probably know most of their userbase will have to use their store so they may as well promote them there.
Rockstar have Social Club. How difficult would it be to offer Rockstar games via that?

Anteater

Sep 20, 2018
Rockstar have Social Club. How difficult would it be to offer Rockstar games via that?
They already sell their games via Social Club, I bought a social club key that doesn't need steam for gta5, similar to uplay, they have no need to be on steam because they have millions of users on gta5 and social club already that use their service, so pulling their games off steam won't hurt them and they know while they're not making a lot more money off epic, they still get a larger cut there and maybe some moneyhat money to compensate.

EdwardTivrusky

See You Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
They already sell their games via Social Club, I bought a social club key that doesn't need steam for gta5, similar to uplay, they have no need to be on steam because they have millions of users on gta5 and social club already that use their service, so pulling their games off steam won't hurt them and they know while they're not making a lot more money off epic, they still get a larger cut there and maybe some moneyhat money to compensate.
GTAV is already sold through Social Club. Any keys you buy outside steam are registered on social club.
Thanks, i haven't played an R* game for years so didn't know they already sold keys on Social Club. Actually, i haven't played since RDR as the only game on my Social Club page when i reactivated it last year for RDR2 was RDR for 360.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Rockstar likely, they probably don't even need Epic anyway but they probably know most of their userbase will have to use their store so they may as well promote them there.
If we're being specific, the biggest publisher left is probably Take-Two Interactive, since they own Rockstar and 2K. Warner Bros. IE can't be too far behind in terms of size either.

They've also still got the most important of the mid-size publishers like Paradox Interactive, THQ Nordic, CDPR, Hi-Rez, etc.

If companies like those, and some of the smaller (but important) indie players like Focus Homer Interactive, Devolver Digital, 505 Games, etc start pulling out, then there would be cause to worry.

Reactions: Anteater

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
honestly? i'm not even angry (it's just games) ... mostly annoyed if anything ... i barely played the first one (and i actually pre-ordered that thing) so i don't really care that i won't get to play the second one (would be nice, of course ... but i'm not really going to go out of my way to play it ... and that's actually true for any game really ... i don't think there's a single one that would make me install yet another launcher ... not even RDR)​
what's really sad is that, in the long run, all of that stuff means the "golden age" of PC gaming is most likely over ... everyone and their dog wants to have their own launcher now, and since most of them don't even support (or care to support) regional pricing (not to mention all the other features volvo added throughout the years) it probably means most people will just go back to piracy ... which, in turn, will mean publishers will stop releasing games on PC (because "those damn pirates") ... and we're basically back in 2008​
sad ... and annoying​
ah well, it was good while it lasted​

Last edited:

freshVeggie

ghost
Sep 7, 2018
Indie devs I wasn't that surprised but this is as big a publisher as it gets.
Wonder what deal Epic made Ubi. Can't really see it being just the 12/88 thing alone.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Indie devs I wasn't that surprised but this is as big a publisher as it gets.
Wonder what deal Epic made Ubi. Can't really see it being just the 12/88 thing alone.
Probably not strictly traditional "moneyhatting" but rather some kind of advertising/visibility guarantee that's functionally free advertising money for Ubi. That would be my guess if I had to make one.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Probably not strictly traditional "moneyhatting" but rather some kind of advertising/visibility guarantee that's functionally free advertising money for Ubi. That would be my guess if I had to make one.
yeah, i don't think ubi could be swayed by whatever amount of money epic could offer them (even with their infinite pockets)

Reactions: freshVeggie

Paulsane

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Well, the game costs the same 1999rub on Epic store as any other AAA game on Steam, which is a price point that forgoes Valve's recommendations for regional pricing. I don't buy AAA games often, and that's part of the reason. So, as things stand, Epic store does provide games with the prices on par with Steam (all of the other games that are on Epic store and are also (still) on steam cost the same for me), but it's still lacking most of the features Steam offers.
Thankfully, there isn't a single game on Epic store that interests me yet, so it's easy for me to skip it for now. But if the time comes when some game I actually want to play goes there, I'll have to make a decision - which will still be to skip, unless Epic manages to provide a much better feature set at that point, or actually offers better prices.

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
cutting a branch on which you are sitting would be hilarious... but unfortunately we are all sitting on the same branch, all here that is.

Digoman

Junior Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
The regional pricing on Epic Store appears to be little .. strange.. for me (Brazil).

This is the first game that appear to have some regional pricing for me (43.20, 54 and 61.83 ) but they appear in USD instead of my regional currency. As of today the base value is more or less the same as for AC:Odyssey on Steam or Uplay, but I have no idea if they fixed in dollars or being converted from somewhere.

So it appear they did appear to have implemented some regional pricing for my region... just in a confusing way. Maybe it is something with my account (I can also only add Paypal as a payment option, not that I'm going to).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
cutting a branch on which you are sitting would be hilarious... but unfortunately we are all sitting on the same branch, all here that is.
except they won't really care when it happens ... they'll just go back to releasing only on consoles and making even more money ... and we'll be left here with the aftermath of all this shit

Last edited:

TioChuck

Dec 31, 2018
The regional pricing on Epic Store appears to be little .. strange.. for me (Brazil).

This is the first game that appear to have some regional pricing for me (43.20, 54 and 61.83 ) but they appear in USD instead of my regional currency. As of today the base value is more or less the same as for AC:Odyssey on Steam or Uplay, but I have no idea if they fixed in dollars or being converted from somewhere.

So it appear they did appear to have implemented some regional pricing for my region... just in a confusing way. Maybe it is something with my account (I can also only add Paypal as a payment option, not that I'm going to).

Game is U$43.20 for me without log in, I´m on Brazil too, still not buying, I pre ordered the first game and participated in the shitfest that was launch window, game got way better down the line but the player base was not there anymore, the story solo was ok, but everything else was way better even with randos from the internet, so I´m not realy hopeful that the playerbase for our region will be there for this game outside steam.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I have faith in the PC community. We've gone through much rougher patches.
i was talking about the publishers :p they'll go back to releasing stuff on consoles and ignore PC yet again

and there's nothing the PC community can do about it, not really

unless you mean they'll revolt now and just not buy those exclusives ... yeah, no, not gonna happen ... maybe initially now ... but eventually most will break, you'll see ... and i won't blame them, it's not their fault .... it's publishers' and epic's fault - you know, the corporations .... gotta love capitalism

Digoman

Junior Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
Game is U$43.20 for me without log in, I´m on Brazil too, still not buying, I pre ordered the first game and participated in the shitfest that was launch window, game got way better down the line but the player base was not there anymore, the story solo was ok, but everything else was way better even with randos from the internet, so I´m not realy hopeful that the playerbase for our region will be there for this game outside steam.
Well, I only bought and played the first one when it was on sale so I wasn't going to get this now anyway... but it appears the Ubi at lest knew that making the game $60 would kill it over here, regardeless of being on Steam or not. It is just that as with everything involving the Epic store, regional pricing appears to have been implemented in a hurry.

I have faith in the PC community. We've gone through much rougher patches.
I don't know... usually the biggest thing going for us in these "battles" is Microsoft incompetence. Not sure how this thing with Epic will shape up.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don't know... usually the biggest thing going for us in these "battles" was Microsoft incompetence. Not sure how this thing with Epic will shape up.
with MS it was 100% about paying for online

no such (monetary) "hurdle" in Epic's case .... they will eventually win - it's just a matter of time ..... because, i imagine, ultimately for most people it really IS just another icon to click

Reactions: Digoman

Digoman

Junior Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
with MS it was 100% about paying for online

no such (monetary) "hurdle" in Epic's case .... they will eventually win - it's just a matter of time ..... because, i imagine, ultimately for most people it really IS just another icon to click
Well, going to a open platform where your gaming services have no hold on and saying "please pay me for what it's free elsewhere" is classified as incompetence in my mind :) . But let's not forget the amazing Windows Store that can't even download big games properly helping to stop UWP adoption.

But you probably right. As much as this Epic Store launch appears to be hastily organized, I doubt Epic is that clueless. And with the Fortnite money backing them, I'm also not optimistic about people resisting these practices.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well, going to a open platform where your gaming services have no hold on and saying "please pay me for what it's free elsewhere" is classified as incompetence in my mind :) . But let's not forget the amazing Windows Store that can't even download big games properly helping to stop UWP adoption.

But you probably right. As much as this Epic Store launch appears to be hastily organized, I doubt Epic is that clueless. And with the Fortnite money backing them, I'm also not optimistic about people resisting these practices.
yeah, pretty much .... sure, the store is fucking awful right now .... but it won't remain that way forever (unless everything bombs badly enough for them ... which i'm sure it won't) and people will slowly but surely keep breaking .... "oh, i'm just getting free games" ... and then "oh, it's just this one indie game, it was on sale" ... and then "well, i own a few games on there already so i might as well buy this new exclusive"

and boom ... we're done

Reactions: Digoman