News The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
lashman is right, you know, unfortunately for us, this is really really bad timing for this to happen, because of all this subscription/streaming future that's taking off and every publisher dreams about it and steam being dead and not in a way (I wonder why they aren't afraid of gog :D ). and we had precedent already with EA going exclusive on PC and a whole lot of launchers launched in recent years, and keep in mind many of those are not good. And there are other, less obvious factors adding to situation not being very good for stability, like GPU prices being ridiculous, game sales being not as good, etc.
But most importantly, we are living in the best time to be a PC gamer and we desperately want it to last a bit longer, but apparently we had enough of freedoms and choices.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, pretty much .... sad it only lasted for like 5 years :(

ah well, what can you do ... can't stop greed (apparently)

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
yeah, pretty much .... sure, the store is fucking awful right now .... but it won't remain that way forever (unless everything bombs badly enough for them ... which i'm sure it won't) and people will slowly but surely keep breaking .... "oh, i'm just getting free games" ... and then "oh, it's just this one indie game, it was on sale" ... and then "well, i own a few games on there already so i might as well buy this new exclusive"

and boom ... we're done
* looking in shame to my Epic Store icon (for Subnautica and having a idea of the state of the client)

Well... usually there is nothing wrong with that progression if the store isn't doing anything "sleazy", but yes, unless some major inconvenience appears (money or functionality wise) people will accept it. on the consumer side. On the big developer one it will depend if The Division 2 gets a good initial userbase on PC or Valve starts getting a lot more aggressive.

Reactions: lashman

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
why nobody is shocked that epic doesn't try to win us over at all, just buyout publishers and we will follow as sheep we are... what is in it for us? I know what gog gives me, I know what steam gives me, and I know what MS can give me (thanks GWFL for that), but all I hear how epic cares for devs. I thought it's two way street, naive that I am.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
if The Division 2 gets a good initial userbase on PC
it might ... but i wager 90% of those people will have the uplay copy, not the epic store one

or Valve starts getting a lot more aggressive.
they won't (or at least i hope they won't ... there's no winning in this battle)

why nobody is shocked that epic doesn't try to win us over at all, just buyout publishers and we will follow as sheep we are...
because it works ... it always works .... they literally only have to last long enough and spend enough money on marketing - and it WILL eventually work

「Echo」

漂う夢のまにまに
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Huge fan of The Division. This news is really sad and devastating to me as someone who doesn't wish to support Epic's business practices.

Ugh. I'm really sad. :cry: This is one of the AAA I was looking forward to next-year. I guess if there is one shining ray of hope it's that the Ubi rep. said "no plans for Steam at this time." The "at this time" part makes me think it will eventually come to Steam, but by then I bet the servers will be a lot emptier. ... Which I guess is fine cuz I'm a lone wolf, but damn. Still upsetting to me.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, it really sucks for people who actually do care where they buy (and play) their games

Reactions: Ibuki

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Well, going to a open platform where your gaming services have no hold on and saying "please pay me for what it's free elsewhere" is classified as incompetence in my mind :) . But let's not forget the amazing Windows Store that can't even download big games properly helping to stop UWP adoption.

But you probably right. As much as this Epic Store launch appears to be hastily organized, I doubt Epic is that clueless. And with the Fortnite money backing them, I'm also not optimistic about people resisting these practices.
In the long run I just can't see Epic becoming a dominant name in the PC digital distribution market, we all know that Fornite will eventually be forgotten just like most games of its kind.

To be honest, I have yet to read any article that shows anything positive about the Epic Store. So far we have just seen Epic pushing for store exclusives, which won't entice me at all to the store.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Trabzon
In the long run I just can't see Epic becoming a dominant name in the PC digital distribution market, we all know that Fornite will eventually be forgotten just like most games of its kind.

To be honest, I have yet to read any article that shows anything positive about the Epic Store. So far we have just seen Epic pushing for store exclusives, which won't entice me at all to the store.
I don't know that betting against Fortnite is a great idea honestly. The game has been shockingly drama-free for the most part, considering how pretty much every other major GaaS from Overwatch, Destiny, R6S, WoW, Dota to PUBG has had some kerfuffle in the past year. The biggest misstep I can think of that Epic has had to deal with was a few of the major streamers that play Fortnite saying some dumb shit, and the terrible sword they added at the beginning of this season.

That's a pretty shockingly drama-less year, and they seem to have figured out a basically industry-leading method of updating a GaaS, and particularly in respect to updating a battle royale. People are invested, coming back and playing the game like crazy. It's one of the few games to actually come out and dominate the Twitch viewership rankings from the usual suspects (LoL, CS, CoD, Hearthstone, Dota) consistently for a long period of time.

My point being, my dislike of the EGS aside, that store is going to have a considerable amount of financial leeway with the amount of cash that Fortnite is pulling in. It's possible that someone unexpected comes along and eats their Battle Royale lunch, but I just don't see any obvious contenders on the horizon. CoD, as good as their version is, might just undercut themselves with their need to release regular, yearly games. Battlefield is a mess, and I expect the BR to be messy as well (I also heard some rumor it's squad only which would make it DoA). Who else happens to have a platform (i.e. game) laying around that can just be easily modded into a BR like Fortnite had with Save the World?

That said, it's also completely possible that Epic just drops the experiment in a year or two because the Fortnite crowd, big as it might be (and assuming if it lasts as long as I think it will), isn't going to convert into paying for games because they've been raised on F2p GaaS and mobile titles.

texhnolyze

Role Player
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, this news is totally huge. I never expected Epic to moneyhat AAA games, let alone for a game of Ubisoft caliber. If they can bribe Ubisoft like this, they can basically do the same for any other PC game in existence.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
I can actually see EGS becoming a real threat if they change their consumer policies (2 refunds a year, seriously?) and offer features on par with Steam. Who knows how long that will take? The free games they've offered so far are enticing and are a great way to keep eyes on the store. The major lack of features, however, is what stops me from purchasing a game on there.
Was only a matter of time before this would happen. If other major publishers jump ship, how would Vavle respond?
Valve's response to all of this is what interests me most. Will they mess with the revenue split again? Or with Wolpaw's return, maybe Valve will fight back by creating Steam-exclusive big budget singleplayer games (yeah yeah, I know)

Reactions: Eriugam and lashman
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Trabzon
I can actually see EGS becoming a real threat if they change their consumer policies (2 refunds a year, seriously?) and offer features on par with Steam. Who knows how long that will take? The free games they've offered so far are enticing and are a great way to keep eyes on the store. The major lack of features, however, is what stops me from purchasing a game on there.
The wilder thing to do would be to tie in more Fortnite stuff with their EGS stuff. Exclusive skins for preordering EGS exclusive games, bonus V-Bucks, whatever.

That will get some movement in terms of the storefront.

Reactions: lashman and Yoshi

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
The wilder thing to do would be to tie in more Fortnite stuff with their EGS stuff. Exclusive skins for preordering EGS exclusive games, bonus V-Bucks, whatever.

That will get some movement in terms of the storefront.
That's actually a really good idea. I think Valve also did something like that with Team Fortress 2.

Reactions: Sampson and lashman

Lain

serial experiments
Sep 20, 2018
This one piece of news was disappointing for me. Just a couple days ago I was praising Ubisoft because they sold their games on every store on PC, instead of doing some lame exclusives. Felt like it was paying off for them too, what with their titles ending up in the best sellers list on Steam for example.
I guess that wasn't good enough.

So long Division 2. I had an interest to see if lessons were learned from the first one but I'm not going to reward actions I disagree with.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
A very strange development. I suppose one of two things happened, Epic backed up a money truck to legitimise the store or more likely Ubisoft are using Epic as a stalking horse to force a better deal out of Steam for future projects. If they were really serious about store margins they'd go Uplay only or Discord (lols) exclusive.

Probably more about microtransaction revenue than the base game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copons and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
A very strange development. I suppose one of two things happened, Epic backed up a money truck to legitimise the store or more likely Ubisoft are using Epic as a stalking horse to force a better deal out of Steam for future projects. If they were really serious about store margins they'd go Uplay only or Discord (lols) exclusive.

Probably more about microtransaction revenue than the base game.
my guess is - they figured they'd make Division 2 a "canary in the coal mine" ... see if they can get fortnite kids playing it ... and if not - they still have it on uplay, so they probably figured most steam people will just buy it there (instead of epic store)

guess we'll see if they were right

Reactions: Sampson
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Trabzon
That's actually a really good idea. I think Valve also did something like that with Team Fortress 2.
Yeah, people already whale stupid amounts of money for skins in games like Fortnite, OW and League.

Attaching a skin to a $10-20 game is like getting something for free compared to normal skin prices (free game or free skin according to your perspective lol).

I’m more surprised this wasn’t ready to go at store launch honestly. Giving Ashen or Hades some skins could have moved a lot of money into the store real quick.

Reactions: lashman and Yoshi

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Valve's response to all of this is what interests me most. Will they mess with the revenue split again? Or with Wolpaw's return, maybe Valve will fight back by creating Steam-exclusive big budget singleplayer games (yeah yeah, I know)
For starters Valve really need to re-design the godawful application. It's borderline terrible, for a company that makes millions of dollars, having such as crappy, non responsive client is poor.
Post automatically merged:

I don't know that betting against Fortnite is a great idea honestly. The game has been shockingly drama-free for the most part, considering how pretty much every other major GaaS from Overwatch, Destiny, R6S, WoW, Dota to PUBG has had some kerfuffle in the past year. The biggest misstep I can think of that Epic has had to deal with was a few of the major streamers that play Fortnite saying some dumb shit, and the terrible sword they added at the beginning of this season.

That's a pretty shockingly drama-less year, and they seem to have figured out a basically industry-leading method of updating a GaaS, and particularly in respect to updating a battle royale. People are invested, coming back and playing the game like crazy. It's one of the few games to actually come out and dominate the Twitch viewership rankings from the usual suspects (LoL, CS, CoD, Hearthstone, Dota) consistently for a long period of time.

My point being, my dislike of the EGS aside, that store is going to have a considerable amount of financial leeway with the amount of cash that Fortnite is pulling in. It's possible that someone unexpected comes along and eats their Battle Royale lunch, but I just don't see any obvious contenders on the horizon. CoD, as good as their version is, might just undercut themselves with their need to release regular, yearly games. Battlefield is a mess, and I expect the BR to be messy as well (I also heard some rumor it's squad only which would make it DoA). Who else happens to have a platform (i.e. game) laying around that can just be easily modded into a BR like Fortnite had with Save the World?

That said, it's also completely possible that Epic just drops the experiment in a year or two because the Fortnite crowd, big as it might be (and assuming if it lasts as long as I think it will), isn't going to convert into paying for games because they've been raised on F2p GaaS and mobile titles.
That's a good point you raise. Fortnite has been a success as it's free to play and is available on most consoles and or mobile devices. Epic's handling has been superior to PUBG etc. When Valve launched Steam, they didn't have just the one big game that brought players in,

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
For starters Valve really need to re-design the godawful application. It's borderline terrible, for a company that makes millions of dollars, having such as crappy, non responsive client is poor.
well they are (and have been for a good while) working on a new client, so ...

Exzyleph

M̻̗e̝͔̤͗ͨṱ͆a͍͛͊M̼ḛ̳̬̾m̜̝̻bͭͩ̎ḙ̔r̰
Oct 9, 2018
I can actually see EGS becoming a real threat if they change their consumer policies (2 refunds a year, seriously?) and offer features on par with Steam.
They do seem to have changed their refund policy from the token system they initially talked about:
When are products eligible for a refund?
All games are eligible for refund within 14 days of purchase for any reason. However, you must have not played the game for more than 2 hours.

You will not be eligible for refunds for games from which you have been banned or for which you have otherwise violated the terms of service. In addition, you may not be eligible for refunds if Epic determines that you are abusing the refund policy.
Epic Games | Refund Policy

The old policy can still be found in their help section, but is helpfully marked as "[DO NOT USE - OUTDATED]".

They also appear to have removed the ridiculous hoops that they asked people requesting refunds to jump through:
What's the deal with Epic Games Store refunds?

Ge0force

Collector of hidden agendas
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I was planning to buy The Division 2 day one, but because of this exclusivity deal, I've decided to skip the game entirely. I really don't mind using other storefronts, but I think healthy competition is only possible if games are being released in as many storefronts as possible. Epic's moneyhats are going straight against this, so I won't support them or any games involved with my money. I'll take a look at Warframe or Destiny 2 instead.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
healthy competition is only possible if games are being released in as many storefronts as possible.
exactly! it's so sad so many people don't see it this way ... and i can never understand why

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
lashman my dog Yoshi is offended that you would call him out for having his own launcher.

He said his launcher is best, it only operates during times you can’t be outside to play, and only carries games with dogs. I tried to explain that watchdogs wasn’t really a game about dogs but he cut me off and said he has a strong relationship with Ubisoft unlike lesser clients out there.

*big eyes*

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
lashman my dog Yoshi is offended that you would call him out for having his own launcher.

He said his launcher is best, it only operates during times you can’t be outside to play, and only carries games with dogs. I tried to explain that watchdogs wasn’t really a game about dogs but he cut me off and said he has a strong relationship with Ubisoft unlike lesser clients out there.

*big eyes*
that's the only launcher (outside of steam) i would even consider installing :p

Reactions: Matimeo