Opinion The eSports scene is something that really turns my stomach

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
I mean it's one thing to stream a game or do an LP of it youtube, there are conductive usages of that and it's proven to effect buying decision of the consumer

But to hear the phrase "eSports ready' just turns my stomach. fwiw it's sounds like that company is manufacturing scene that is just what it is. A manufactored thing. inorganic is what I'm trying to say. Manufactured to be exploited for money and fame, which is just that the gist of capitalism is. Like is the FGC organic? yes it has always been there. The scene has always been there and functioning and competitive and will be forever. That's just the one genre I can think of. There are specific cases of Starcraft continually have a scene and maybe having staying power because of Blizzard. But Overwatch and League of Legends just blow my mind continually. How the hell do you follow it on a continual basis and not bitch about readability. Team Fortress is simple to follow and play with some of the classes. Overwatch too, a certain degree, but how the hell can anyone keep track of League of Legends or DOTA 2. Seems like a genius could follow a match, but could the average person. Hell fucking no. It's too complicated to follow and even getting it explained to me sounds like a wild ass trip. and it seems like having an eSports scene is just invitation to having a toxic community. It's nautral to disagree with me if you follow those game. But hearing eSports news about them on ESPN or main stream sports TV is helluva trip to an old gamer like me. If I had a choice I would rather follow more like speedrunning or like Tecmo Bowl or NHL '94 Hockey league on the internet. It's an olden but gooden to me at least. It's like a warm blanket to me. Go do a Google Search of Tecmo Bowl or NHL 94 Leagues they're out there. It's wild. There was even ESPN documentary about Tecmo Bowl scene. It was wild to watch it on ESPN and see grown athletes talk about how it's inspired them. Wild but not like waay out there.

Reactions: Nirvash and lashman

Adnor

Tetris Hell
Dec 11, 2018
Saying "eSport ready" is weird, but gotta say, reading Dota is easy once you've played a few matches of the game. Yeah, it can get really chaotic, but Valve was really good at making the color pallete of the game, which really helps reading what's happening. Riot ended up also changing the color pallete of the background to help with that too.

Like with any genre you will not understand anything about it at the start. Hell, show me an american football match and I will not know what's going on, why is that played running there and this other player running to the other place and why everyone stopped now because I don't know the rules.

Reactions: lashman