Discussion The Game Tech / History Nerd Thread

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
No idea if there are people besides me active on here who do occasionally get lost (as in: down the rabbit hole) in the technical aspects and the technical history of video games like I do. But it's never been more easy to get really fascinating inside baseball about stuff under the hood of games, be it hardware, software, game design, personalities and what have you. People talk and write about games and how they are/were made everywhere now.

So I figured, let's have a thread to share interesting videos, blogs, articles, interviews etc. etc. amongst ourselves here.

I'll start with this video I found just this morning:

It's a panel at HandmadeCon 2016 with four industry veterans talking about the history of Texture Mapping in games - slightly PC-centric, focusing on the very beginnings of the technology becoming widely adopted in the early to mid-nineties. Wanna hear about how (and by who) the transition from the pure filled polygons and vector graphics of 80s flight sims to games like Strike Commander, Doom or Ultima Underworld happened? Have a look!

Last edited:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I do like in-depth videos about videogame tech! GDC conferences are great and there are tons of channels dedicated to those topics. If you're specifically asking about gaming "history" (that explicitly talk about how something has evolved over time) I'm not sure I can come up with that many videos...

Even though they might not all be exactly what you're looking for, here's a few clips:

There's also this channel that you might like:

EDIT:
Now that I'm at home I've had some time to look for some more stuff.

GameHut is a channel created by Jon Burton, a programmer known for pushing the boundaries of what was possible on older consoles.
He was responsible for some pretty insane looking effects on games like Mickey Mania (SNES).

The channel somewhat ran out of steam probably because he shared what he had to share. But what he has to say is fascinating!

Micheal "Jasper" Ashworth is the dude behind this [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]a[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]w[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]e[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]s[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]o[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]m[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]e[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] website: noclip
He also has some really interesting videos:

Finally (but I'll report back in case I manage to dig up something else) there's Modern Vintage Gamer. Some of his stuff is fascinating and focuses on how copy protection has evolved and how consoles were hacked (IIRC he was actually involved in the OG Xbox hacking scene).

Last edited: