|OT| The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero / 英雄伝説 零の軌跡 | Geofront's Localisation Patch | Gotten Over The Barrier! | v1.1.1 Out Now

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I managed to reach chapter 4 yesterday, game shows something over 40 hours so the real time is probably around 30. Kinda regretting not playing on nightmare, the game is easier than I was expecting and I'm far from being good at series' mechanics. The only fights I found problematic were:
Wald
That Geofront sidequest with KeA in the lineup

Also don't know how long is the game, hopefully I'm only halfway in so I don't have to think what I'm gonna do about Ao as long as possible.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm liking Lloyd less and less, with everyone's throwing themselves at him for no reason, it's just Rean 1.0 and that's a huge factor putting me off Cold Steel until now.
I don't think that's the fault of Lloyd's own character, though. While Rean being a "harem protagonist" is in itself a meme at this point, I don't think that's accurate either. While I can't speak for CS III & IV, not all bonding events in CS I& II carry romantic connotations, and we can have Rean not to have a romantic interest at all. I'll have to see how Lloyd's character will grow as the game progresses, but I still feel the notion of "female characters throwing affection toward the protagonist for no good reason" is a misconception at best and merely a surface-level examination of what their character is all about.
Also don't know how long is the game, hopefully I'm only halfway in so I don't have to think what I'm gonna do about Ao as long as possible.
Some folks in our Discord said about ~50 hours, but I'm not sure if they talked to every NPC after every story event like I do. Chances are it'll be an 80-hours game like Trails FC for me.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I don't think that's the fault of Lloyd's own character, though. While Rean being a "harem protagonist" is in itself a meme at this point, I don't think that's accurate either. While I can't speak for CS III & IV, not all bonding events in CS I& II carry romantic connotations, and we can have Rean not to have a romantic interest at all. I'll have to see how Lloyd's character will grow as the game progresses, but I still feel the notion of "female characters throwing affection toward the protagonist for no good reason" is a misconception at best and merely a surface-level examination of what their character is all about.
Indeed, it's not his fault. He is the usual dense fella that gets all the attention. Which is much worse than just being a player (odd that it never happens in JRPGs, maybe Kiryu? Dude might have love interests but he also openly fools around)... it's that shonen wish fulfillment for a pseudo self insert character that I REALLY dislike.
Not that it's the end of the world, but it's bad.

Also replaying old games, it certainly isn't new. When I replayed Grandia it was just that: the dumbass hero that everyone loves, with everything happening exactly as needed to make him look good.

But it sucks a lot in Zero No Kiseki because... Randy is supposed to be the womanizer. Except he totally isn't and has a hell of a lot less romantic lines than Lloyd, because he's not the self insert main guy.
The increasing focus on one member of the team is pretty noticeable in the franchise.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
(Your) Finished. Probably my favorite game in the series now, alongside Sky the 3rd. Great pacing (other than putting 3 monster extermination quests in a row at some point just to end up doing somewhat tedious dungeons just after), great cast and definitely the best setting in the series (politically, almost everything taking place in one city also helps with things like NPC arcs).

Played through the Ao prologue just now and not sure if I wanna continue after playing Geofront's Zero.

Reactions: QFNS and Kvik
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
great cast and definitely the best setting in the series
Crossbell is really a great city. A melting pot of culture which also reflects problems found in large cities in real life. Stuff like immigration, organised crime, socio-economic growth related to (orbal) technology advancement, and so on are present in the game. And the cast is solid. The interpersonal relationship between them is almost a breath of fresh air when compared with Class VII in Cold Steel I & II, at least in the beginning. Not to mention Geofront really hitting it out of the park with the localisation.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I also finished Zero the other day. Great game. Not sure if I like it more than 3rd, but it's good for sure. That slow burn like FC until stuff gets real like SC, except all in one game.

I am playing Ao now and into Chapter 1. It certainly is a noticeable step down. The lower resolution on the art is noticable, the lack of good menus is a bummer and no message log has already bit me. I'm going to suffer through because I am really excited to play CS3 and I think I'll end up waiting years otherwise. It is a serious step down in the writing though. You see it immediately in the very Japanese style of grammar and "Mr. Dudley" and so forth. I can stomach it having played tons of badly translated games in the past, but after seeing it I totally respect anyone who doesn't want to play it.

I dunno who the people are that say this is basically as good as releasable. They are insane. It's nowhere close. If Geofront or another group takes another shot at this game (or it gets an official release) Is definitely play it again, but for now I'm pressing on so I can see the other Cold Steel games.

Reactions: Kvik

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I just wish we had any communication from them wrt Azure.
It's going to be so hard switching to the MTL version after Zero. :negative-blob:

Reactions: QFNS
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I dunno who the people are that say this is basically as good as releasable. They are insane. It's nowhere close.
It's a myth perpetuated by /r/Falcom dregs from whom the "perfectly serviceable" meme was coined upon. Even one of Geofront editors has said that it's anything but. But here we are.

Frankly, I fully understand if Geofront wants to take a break despite showing interest in tackling Azure based on their previous development blog entries. The character count is only the second largest (1.5M) compared with Cold Steel III (1.6M). It's a massive undertaking.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I just wish we had any communication from them wrt Azure.
It's going to be so hard switching to the MTL version after Zero. :negative-blob:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen Scott tweeting that they're not doing Ao next - wouldn't be surprised if the next project is Nayuta (or Ys vs Sora no Kiseki?).

The interpersonal relationship between them is almost a breath of fresh air when compared with Class VII in Cold Steel I & II, at least in the beginning.
Yep, the size of SSS also helps. A lot of Class VII's interactions are just lost to the constant splitting into groups so it was pretty nice to have the same cast through the full game.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Pasokon Deacon do you perhaps know how can you export the song loop data from Zero/Ao?
Earlier games in the series use human readable BGMTBL.DAT (as do most other Falcom games, especially on PSP), but for ED7 Falcom decided on using a binary format.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
And obviously, the site is hammered, both download servers are down and I've been trying to get the patch unsuccessfully for the past few hours...
Anyone has it stashed on a server not running a C64?

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The portrait mini-mod has been updated as well for 1.0.2 compatibility.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Well I had to have a friend text me a bitcash code, but finally, downloaded it from DLsite. That was pretty easy.

It'll be a while before I get to this, haven't even played TiTs 1-3, but it's nice to have a modern PC copy on the same levels as the other XSeed ports.

Thank you Geofront peeps, and thank you Kvik for keep this OT updated and linkin' these mods.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It'll be a while before I get to this, haven't even played TiTs 1-3, but it's nice to have a modern PC copy on the same levels as the other XSeed ports.
I hope you consider playing Sky Trilogy soon. I highly recommend it! I gifted some copies away last Christmas but you already own it. :dana_excited:

Reactions: QFNS and 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I hope you consider playing Sky Trilogy soon. I highly recommend it! I gifted some copies away last Christmas but you already own it. :dana_excited:
Yep. I just need Trails 3 to complete the collection, but since I haven't beat one or two yet I've been putting off buying it for now.

I guess I can start up #1 after Code Vein. Lately I was thinkin' about al old-school JRPG anyway, was gonna replay FFIX but Steam keeps prompting me to update it and I don't wanna cuz I'm pretty sure that will break it. (Mine is modded Moguri Mod )

Dec 5, 2018
After 70+ hours I've finished the game.

I really think that a more reduced (main) cast and the story taking place in a smaller area might actually help the game.

Now i'll have to decide if I want to play a machine translated Ao (or wait for a better/official localization) or jump to CS3, but that is a problem for future me (since I'm not gonna jump to either game for a while, they're too dense to be played back to back).

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Finished the game.
Hmm.
It's pretty much everything that I felt early on.

Yes the open city is kinda cool, but it has an obscene amount of backtracking, Probably more than the three Skies games put together. Aaand... most of the story beats are not interesting. No, the mafia is not interesting for several chapters in a row. Yeah okay corruption and shit, foreign powers using them... okay, I don't need 20h+ spent on those them.
I want more of the life of the average person, but the police angle ends up neutering any possible subtlety. They're bad guys, they do harm to the country, nobody asks why, let's arrest them and throw our hands in the air when they're protected by politicians. But wait, our heroes will miraculously stop the corrupt politicians too! Maybe but since they've done fuck all to stop the reason why, it's just running around in circles.
Crossbell feels like Japan in a nutshell... it's "shikatanai" the game, things suck, can't do anything to deal with it for good. It's pretty creepy how everyone in the game was right, the police is fucking useless and the Bracers, a paramilitary organization with little oversight is their only hope. Yeesh.

But the big issue lies in the characters. Lloyd isn't very good and takes most of the screen time... and indeed, it makes Randy feels like a boring duplicate, he's very underwhelming. Elie is not much of a character, she feels more like a deus ex machina bringing her connections into play as soon as the team needs something.
The side cast is mostly boring, but that's true of TitS too, except that they had a third game to develop them at least.
Tio is the only saving grace, she is interesting and surprising with a more nuanced personality than expected.

That's quite a problem, the world gets dull, the cast is not great... and then there's combat.
Which is a MASSIVE regression; not that the older games were fantastic, they also had a limited amount of skills for such long games... but here it's completely ruined.
Buffs only last three turns now (mostly), and it takes two of them to cast a buff spell. They're pretty much useless outside of that one burst turn once in a while (and Lloyd STR buff I suppose, if you just need to faceroll squishy stuff - but magic is always far superior in the series anyway). Same thing for debuffs, as they get progressively unusable when everything resists everything. Outside of slow in the last dungeon, maybe they remembered that they had fights at the last moment?

So yeah.
Ultimately, I'm mostly negative.
The game is pretty much worse in every way, more backtracking, more dragging along, less interesting chapters, much worse cast, bad combat. It just isn't an engaging RPG.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Now i'll have to decide if I want to play a machine translated Ao (or wait for a better/official localization) or jump to CS3, but that is a problem for future me (since I'm not gonna jump to either game for a while, they're too dense to be played back to back).
Flame's edit for Ao is serviceable (leagues better than old leaked Zero, even if it doesn't really say much). It definitely lacks the charm and personality of Geofront's translation but I still had a fantastic time with the game (finished yesterday, on CS3 now) and rarely had issues with understanding things (fwiw, my native language is pretty flexible when it comes to word order so I'm probably less affected by weird sentences).

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Yeah AO with Flame's edit is actually pretty good it's very far from a MTL had a blast with it be sure to get the Voice fix:
You also might want to update your soravoice mod they allrdy ported a lot of features from Zero over
It's still pretty clear that it is a MTL IMO. But its certainly better than pure google translate or w/e. It's a far cry from the Geofront-level or even the XSEED level of stuff we've gotten before.

Geofront's Zero may as well be a full release from a good localizer. The Ao version with either edit is.... definitely not.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm on Chapter 4, Day 3. This game is going places.

But first, I need to fill out my fishing book, turn in the bestiary, clear out the high-level monster chests, etc.

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Have fun! Some of those high level chests were a real pain. Harder than many bosses for me lol.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I read an interview Gematsu did with Falcom recently, and it talked about how Ao/Zero are coming to PS4. It seemed like from the way they were talking, PS4 ports were going to increase the chances of them coming West. And I just can't shake the feeling that if they did come West, PC ports would be inevitable.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Some of those high level chests were a real pain.
Funnily enough, I didn't have too much trouble with the last (lvl 40) chest. But I died a few times at the lvl 35 ones (those sheep hit hard!). Another troublesome fight was the (secret sidequest) Imelda's Rosenberg Dolls retrieval quest. I swear those things can cast Chrono Drive faster than Tio.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
PS4 ports were going to increase the chances of them coming West
Maybe I should create a Falcom Community OT so we can discuss these concerns at length. :dana_smile:

But to briefly touch the subject, this duology would be a hard sell in the west, because they are inherently ports of PSP games. I've posted screenshots of the Kai PS4 versions before and from the texture assets alone, they didn't exactly inspire confidence. When Ys VIII was first announced for PC, The Steam Community forum and elsewhere were so quick to judge it: "This looks like a PSP game" -- Although they aren't exactly wrong in a sense, because Ys VIII was first announced for the Vita.

Secondly, the jp character count of Kiseki games is massive. I highly doubt NISA (who would most likely be the licensee) would tackle the duology so soon after two massive Kiseki releases, especially when Ys IX with less character count and probably will sell more than both CS3 & 4 combined is just waiting to be localised.

Don't get me wrong, though. I will absolutely love for an official release on PC, but I've made my peace with the fact that I will probably be waiting for years yet again.

Reactions: 「Echo」

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
It's still pretty clear that it is a MTL IMO. But its certainly better than pure google translate or w/e. It's a far cry from the Geofront-level or even the XSEED level of stuff we've gotten before.

Geofront's Zero may as well be a full release from a good localizer. The Ao version with either edit is.... definitely not.
Again it's not a MTL at all. Guren did the original translation and later flame did some light editing it's a bit literal yes but very very far from a MTL the only thing it lacks is a few editing passes like Geofront did with Zero. A real MTL from a very complicated Japanese source like this is far worse and produces mostly unreadable gibberish. Honestly it's nice editing work is finally getting some recognition now but translating is often very hard work and editing like Geofront has done wouldn't even be possible without the work of Translators like Guren.

Here is the release post with Gurens comment about it back when it leaked and some comparisons to a actual MTL:

Last edited:
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Such a thing is wasted on me, My familiarity with Falcom stuff is... not good. Square-Enix always been my go to for RPG's.
Haha. Well, it's understandable. Out of the big three RPG developers from the 80s (the other two being Squaresoft and Koei), Falcom is the only one who stays relatively small in terms of company/employee count.

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Again it's not a MTL at all. Guren did the original translation and later flame did some light editing it's a bit literal yes but very very far from a MTL the only thing it lacks is a few editing passes like Geofront did with Zero. A real MTL from a very complicated Japanese source like this is far worse and produces mostly unreadable gibberish. Honestly it's nice editing work is finally getting some recognition now but translating is often very hard work and editing like Geofront has done wouldn't even be possible without the work of Translators like Guren.

Here is the release post with Gurens comment about it back when it leaked and some comparisons to a actual MTL:

I guess we disagree on what is an acceptable level of quality. The current Ao patch is perfectly playable and understandable regardless of it's source. However it's not in the same league of quality as what I saw in Geofront's Zero or in XSeed releases. (I haven't played the NISA CS releases yet to compare them vs XSeed, but I hope to start CS3 after Ao).

The sentence structure generally sounds Japanese. The dialogue sounds like something you would write if you took one line and translated it then went to the next line. It doesn't "flow" in English and thusly the characters sound stilted and it's harder to perceive personality in their speech. The voices help to a degree, but since I don't speak Japanese it's mostly just to recognize surprise or emotions like that.
The names of things aren't consistent across items and notebooks, and quest descriptions.
The button prompts ( I'm using a controller without joy2key) don't always agree with the text. Some text says o or triangle and others say 1, 3, etc.
The turbo & 60fps in the soravoice patch is nice, but it also has bugs (Pomto is unplayablly fast, yet fishing is fine?)

There are more issues than that. This is what mean. Whether it is or is not an actual MTL or not isn't relevant. I don't care. It's not a full localization into English. I am playing it out of lack of other options and despair. Not because I want to.

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
I guess we disagree on what is an acceptable level of quality. The current Ao patch is perfectly playable and understandable regardless of it's source. However it's not in the same league of quality as what I saw in Geofront's Zero or in XSeed releases. (I haven't played the NISA CS releases yet to compare them vs XSeed, but I hope to start CS3 after Ao).

The sentence structure generally sounds Japanese. The dialogue sounds like something you would write if you took one line and translated it then went to the next line. It doesn't "flow" in English and thusly the characters sound stilted and it's harder to perceive personality in their speech. The voices help to a degree, but since I don't speak Japanese it's mostly just to recognize surprise or emotions like that.
The names of things aren't consistent across items and notebooks, and quest descriptions.
The button prompts ( I'm using a controller without joy2key) don't always agree with the text. Some text says o or triangle and others say 1, 3, etc.
The turbo & 60fps in the soravoice patch is nice, but it also has bugs (Pomto is unplayablly fast, yet fishing is fine?)

There are more issues than that. This is what mean. Whether it is or is not an actual MTL or not isn't relevant. I don't care. It's not a full localization into English. I am playing it out of lack of other options and despair. Not because I want to.
I never said it was the best translation ever or on the level of Geofront's zero just that it's not a MTL which it isn't. If it's up to anyone's standards is for them self to decide it was fine for me but i'm not a native speaker so i probably didn't even notice a lot of problems, i did notice them a lot in the old zero translation so this one is definitely much better then that. You might also want to check if flame's edit is correctly installed (2ndfire_voicefix should be enough since it contains all the scena files) it improves on guren's original script a good bit.

Last edited:
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
[UWSL]A few weeks ago after about 100 hours of real-time gameplay time, I finally finished with Trails from Zero.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]If you can't already tell, I enjoyed my time with the game immensely. The quality of the game is immediately apparent from a single playthrough, not entirely unlike my experience with the Sky trilogy. While I also enjoyed Cold Steel I and II, I was initially lukewarm on it, and only after a second (and then a 3rd, and 4th on the PC version) I was finally able to appreciate it fully. Anyway, let me elaborate a bit further on what makes Zero one of my favourite Kiseki games.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]The Special Support Section is a solid team, with a good leader. For almost the entire game, Lloyd was trying to get away from the shadow of his brother, while at the same time, he tried to fill Guy's shoes both as a renown detective and a person who is revered by his peers. When Lloyd finally arrived at the realisation that he has achieved his own personal goals not by imitating his brother, but by his own strength and conviction, I feel a certain satisfaction in knowing that Lloyd is a mature and well-rounded character I have come to expect from a protagonist of Kiseki series. I can also say that even from his first mission with SSS, his leadership qualities are immediately apparent, albeit still lacking the necessary strength to follow suit. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]One of the themes presented in Zero is progress (or change) and how we shouldn't be afraid of it if we want to experience better lives for ourselves. For instance, Randy is a complex character despite his carefree and womanising exterior. He escaped a life of violence and tried to remake himself into someone who lives in the moment, enjoying the company of the ladies and Crossbell's nightlife to the fullest. He expressed distaste at the mention of his old [/UWSL][UWSL]nom de guerre[/UWSL][UWSL] when Garcia mentioned it, and he was very reluctant to share his past with Lloyd, at least initially. He refused to pick up a firearm, resulting in his discharge from CGF. He is a prime example of someone who isn't afraid of change but at the same time, he hides behind his carefree exterior because he ultimately hates the person he once was. Only after Lloyd learned of his past and accepted him for who he once was and the present, I feel that Randy doesn't need to hide his past anymore, because he finally has found his place with SSS where he belongs.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]The story of Tio is a tragic one. As much as Randy was, Tio was also looking a place to give her life meaning through change. As a survivor of human experimentation and horrific rituals she had to endure during her confinement by the D∵G cult, she experienced remorse and survivor guilt, despite being able to experience a relatively normal life and no physical impairment after being freed from confinement. Her life as a survivor wasn't an easy one either since she became estranged with her parents due to her extranormal abilities. Tio questions the meaning of her existence, and why she was able to live a normal life when others have perished in the same cult lodge Guy had found her in. It comes as a surprise to her that the other SSS members accepted her and her abilities almost immediately, despite the same ability has caused her estrangement from her parent and in turn, has caused her much pain as well.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Elie was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but it doesn't mean that her life is all sunshine and roses either. Born to an aristocratic family with an ambition, Elie knows first and foremost that the corruption of Crossbell has cost her one of the things she holds most dear: her family. She is well aware that changing Crossbell is the only way she can regain what she once lost: a great, livable city where her family could live together again, someday. While she spent most of her younger days arming herself with knowledge, she is still unsure of herself and not knowing how she can be the change that Crossbell needs, until of course, she met Lloyd and the rest of SSS.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]As any metropolitan cities in the real world, Crossbell also shared the same type of problems, namely: organised crime and corruption. There's obviously an argument to be made that these problems are just pale imitation of their real-world counterpart, however; the idea behind it is still very relevant, and the solution is as complex. The confrontation between Revache and Heiyue affects the lives of people of Crossbell in the same way that organised crime is affecting people in a real city. The collateral damage from their experiment with the Doven Kaisers is an example. The intimidation of Mainz' Mayor to gain profit from the mining town's production output is another. And of course, the total disregard of the authority of CPD due to corruption at the highest level of government which has rendered the police force essentially toothless, leading to public distrust. The SSS team spent most of the game trying to regain this trust back, not only for the good of the city but also motivated by their personal drives. Lloyd is trying to fill his brother's shoes by being a remarkable detective people can rely on. Elie knows that getting rid of Crossbell's corruption has to start with regaining the public trust. Randy and Tio considers Crossbell their adoptive homes and felt certain affection towards it like Lloyd and Elie does.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]The pulse of the city itself is directly reflected on its citizens. The diversity of the location and the people it occupies presents a very real place which feels lived-in. For example, the Downtown District is occupied by blue-collar labourers, struggling artist, immigrants and neighbourhood gangs. West Street is where middle-class citizens live, with upscale apartments, retired bureaucrats and entertainers, and also a safe neighbourhood for children to play on the street. East Street is an analogue for Chinatown, with market stalls lining up the street, eastern restaurant and cheap apartments can be found in there. The Residential street is where the aristocrats live, new money intermixing with old money, essentially the Crossbellan ruling class and the privileged.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]The issues faced by Crossbellans are also reflected in the variety of sidequests. Although most of them are mundane tasks such as tracking down overdue library books or rescuing lost pets, there are a few quests which highlighted urban crimes, such as smuggling, counterfeiting and thievery as a result of social divide/poverty. I feel that these types of quests go a long way to make Crossbell feels like a living, breathing city.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]The overarching storyline in Zero is a curious one. It's almost as if this game is a self-contained story (it actually is), in a sense that a particular mysterious organisation is merely given a passing mention, and the final antagonist is a separate entity which Renne and Tio are trying to come to terms with. Because of this, I feel that Zero is Renne and Tio's story as much as Lloyd's. While by the end of the game the search for Guy Bannings' killer is still ongoing, the story ended satisfactorily while still leaving the audience wanting for more. Unfortunately, this is a part where I feel Falcom could've developed Elie's character arc a bit further since her pairing with Lloyd is obvious enough and they have very good chemistry together. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]One last thing I shouldn't fail to mention is the soundtrack. While obviously, you have several really powerful tracks such as Intense Chase, Limit Break and A Light Illuminating The Depths, most of the times the SSS team will be travelling from one point to another and most of the town themes and dungeon themes are really excellent as well. They are very rich in texture while retaining some of the motifs we're already familiar with from Sky trilogy. They are mostly composed by Saki Momiyama and Hayato Sonoda. Tracks such as Geofront and On The Green Road are very upbeat, while Mining Village of Mainz, Lemonade in Hand and Tomorrow Is Another Day sounds very relaxing. And finally, tracks such as Fulfilled Feelings and The Wind from Liberl are very touching and filled with nostalgia, and especially for The Wind from Liberl, fans of Sky Trilogy will definitely appreciate this track.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Overall I feel it's a very enjoyable and memorable game, filled with many loveable characters with depth and great storytelling I've come to expect from Falcom. I probably have said it often enough, but Geofront's work on this game is really something special. They are fans of this game, and it shows in every aspect of this game. I had some rocky start with installing version 1.01 of the patch, but 1.02 is solid and I only had a single crash during my entire playthrough, which probably was caused by ReShade anyway. I highly recommend this game and while you can mod Evolution voice acting into the game, the localisation is strong enough that it's entirely playable without it.[/UWSL]

Reactions: QFNS and tetel

Chaosblade

Apr 21, 2020
Zero and Azure are ultimately two of my favorite Japanese RPGs I've ever played. They are the Oath in Felghana and Origin of the Trails series for me.

I was surprised by how engaging Zero was, I see a lot of people call it one of the most boring games in the series. But I was sucked in from the start and it held strong the whole way through. I loved Crossbell as a setting, I loved the political slant to the story with all the corruption and organized crime, and the tight knit cast was a lot of fun (and a breath of fresh air after the bloated Cold Steel cast).

And the music is top notch too, which isn't a surprise from Falcom. Maybe my favorite Trails soundtrack if we don't count songs that get re-used in followup games like SC, Azure, etc.

Last edited:

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Final release.

Nice to see they updated the movies.

Sounds like Azure is coming along well too. That will really be a watershed moment when both are out in a great quality, easily playable translation for the English speaking audience.

• Comfy
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That will really be a watershed moment when both are out in a great quality, easily playable translation for the English speaking audience.
It's a nice feeling. I consider myself lucky that the series I'm heavily invested in has some of the most dedicated fans working on this project tirelessly over they years, with no limitation of time constraints.

Still, I'm a bit curious how they will handle the license activation issue, because if I'm reading their past blog post correctly, they intend to strip the DRM out of the game completely.

• Eyes
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This new set of Trails pins is up for preorder. Featuring the SSS badge and Thors Military Academy crest. But most importantly, Tio and Mishy pin. Who doesn't like Tio?

Also available individually.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The Azure OT should be up by tomorrow night, or Thursday night if I don't have enough spare time. :flare_utawaku:

Geofront Team said:
Trails from Zero Version 1.1.1
We also released an update for Zero today. Yes, I know we said the curtain was closed on Zero, but there were some outstanding text bugs to fix caused by the jump to a new platform, some lines that were revised, and additional changes to coincide with the PC release of Trails of Cold Steel IV. Additionally, some graphics were updated and one new feature from Azure was backported…but we’re not going to say what it is! You’ll have to update Zero for yourself to find it, or you can always wait until later this week when we go into deeper detail about all of Azure’s features.
[/QUOTE}

Last edited:
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
  • Love
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This small mod adds portraits of characters whom does not receive any in Zero, but do have one in Azure.

• Comfy
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
New mod: Akatsuki no Kiseki portraits in Zero.

Akatsuki might not be canon, but at least it'll give us some nice portraits of Lynn and Aeolia. :flare_utawaku:

• Comfy

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So, I finished Chapter 2 yesterday, and if things keep up, then Azure might easily be my favourite Trails game. That last scene when Mayor Crois calls for the independence of Crossbell State was pure kino. :blobevening:

Really love the addition of Noel and Wazy as well, keeps the interactions in the SSS fresh and interesting, though it's nice that near the end of Chapter 2 you again have the old motley crew again.

Kinda bracing myself for the intermission, as I've been hearing bad things about it for a long time.

• Comfy
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The Azure OT is that way, Mivey. :flare_lmao:

I'm still at Chapter 2, Day 3 myself. The way Geofront localising Randy is on point. Hearing the voiced lines at the same time is making me appreciate the "XSEED-ness" of it, reminding me a lot of how Estelle's lines were localised.

Reactions: Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The Azure OT is that way, Mivey. :flare_lmao:

I'm still at Chapter 2, Day 3 myself. The way Geofront localising Randy is on point. Hearing the voiced lines at the same time is making me appreciate the "XSEED-ness" of it, reminding me a lot of how Estelle's lines were localised.
Damn, totally got confused about the threads! Well, I'll check the title more carefully next time :winking-face:

• Comfy