|OT| The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure / 英雄伝説 碧の軌跡 | Geofront's Localisation Patch | Blue is the Warmest Colour | v1.0.1 Out NOW!

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Introduction

Here we are, at last, the second part of the Crossbell duology. It's been a little over a year since Geofront's patch for Zero was released, and to say that I have a large expectation of this game won't be an understatement. Trails from Zero is my personal GOTY of 2020 and unless Azure turned out to be a nukige halfway through, I'd say it's already in the running for my GOTY for 2021. To be able to play these two games without compromises in terms of localisation and PC features rivalling those of professional developers — all these years of waiting have been worth it. I hope Azure will live up to my expectations, and I hope yours as well.

The Features

While the list below is not an exhaustive list of all the features implemented by Geofront, I hope it will still give us a rough idea of how extensive the project is.

A. Localisation

• Dual language support without system locale emulator.
  • A fully-edited English script, inline with XSEED's localisation style of Trails games.
  • English script is checked against Trails in the Database for editing consistency.
  • Certain terminologies are adapted to follow NISA's localisation choices in Trails of Cold Steel III and IV.
  • In-game lore consistency is checked against Kiseki Wiki as the primary reference.

B. Bugfixes
  • The game no longer has extreme slowdowns from a common graphical effect during Aerial, other arts, map fadeouts, and numerous other instances.
  • The game no longer inexplicably flickers every so often.
  • The game no longer runs poorly if you play without a controller attached.
  • Text no longer shakes when scrolling in.
  • Character art for portraits, menu art, and any other place is no longer of a muted colouration compared to the PSP and Vita versions (and all three versions of the sequel).
  • Numerous other small fixes.

C. Graphics
  • Arbitrary resolution support.
  • Up to 144 fps framerate target.
  • Anisotropic Filtering (16x).
  • Multi-sample Anti Aliasing (up to 8x).
  • Borderless Window/Exclusive fullscreen mode.
  • High-definition variable-width fonts support.
  • Extended draw distance.

D. Quality of life improvements
  • Improved mouse input support.
  • Fully redrawn detective notebook graphics.
  • Edited in-game sign graphics.
  • Alphabetised Crossbell City Library material.
  • Context-sensitive custom cursor support.
  • The game autosaves when entering a new map.
  • Improved save/load menu.
    • A modernised interface that is similar to Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel PC ports.
    • 1000 save slots (not including autosaves).
    • Viewing and saving of savegame metadata independent of the system locale.
    • Viewing and loading of PSP or Joyoland port savegames.
  • Turbo mode up to 8x speed.
  • Input binding and remapping for KB&M and gamepads.
  • XInput controller API support.
  • Fully-rebindable button prompt icons for Xbox, DualShock 4, or Switch Pro controllers.
  • Native support for Ao No Kiseki Evolution voice assets (voice mod), soundtrack and HD videos.

E. New Features
  • Message log history.
  • Custom soundtrack builder.
  • A BGM track name indicator. (*backported to Trails from Zero as of v1.1.1)
  • Treasure chest messages.

Buying and Patching

NOTE: Joyoland's website does not have an international version. For an English-speaking audience, I'd advise using Google Translate/DeepL to navigate it, or follow Geofront's guide, below.

The link here will take you to a post from last year explaining the process which has been updated with a visual guide.

The game can be purchased here. It costs ¥60.00 (approximately $12 AUD), and they accept PayPal as a payment method.

NOTE: Geofront has advised NOT to install and activate the game. Instead, their launcher will install and patch the game seamlessly. Additionally, all the options related to input, graphics and sound are accessible from within the game.

Two files can be downloaded from the Baidu account as described in Joyoland's product page for Azure, BG_setup.rar and AO_JOYO_Patch.zip. The file BG_setup.rar is the game asset archive, and the latter is Joyoland's platform patcher for the executable. While these two files are free to download from their server, the download times can be quite slow due to various circumstances, and sometimes it will take days(!) to finish. The direct link to BG_setup.rar plus mirrors is provided below.

Joyoland
archive.org mirror

Additionally, I have mirrored the file below exclusively for MC (react to this post to reveal). You can compare the checksum as well.

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
md5sum: 628d24cd12e7769c5307e711bdcddcc6

sha1sum: 70a0e1b6d523e96aed91e4a0ab10a785784ddcc2
sha512sum: c102fa85543222ca75e96771a0a1d2a7fb22b919091232e5af607ec43b1baa496ab289e163bdc0ea981cb459309817a086b73e48e7d87d119e05abd36862960e

The patch can be downloaded here.

Direct link: London mirror

Installation Instructions:

Evolution Voice Assets

NOTE: The voice assets of the (Switch) KAI version of Ao no Kiseki is of higher quality in terms of bitrate. I don't have access to these files, unfortunately.

Geofront provides native compatibility with Ao No Kiseki Evolution voice files. Players will be able to hear voiced dialogues taken from the Ao No Kiseki Evolution version. The installation will detect the voice files from the game package when placed in the game directory. Follow these instructions to prepare the voice asset files.

Hidden content

Other Mods

HD Texture Mod v2.5 (+HD portraits, HD UI, environment textures, fixes) (assets upscaled using ESRGAN neural network).

Cradawx said:
New for this version is many new textures including all HD character portraits, and most UI textures, icons, art and environmental textures and more. All the environment textures have been redone too for hopefully better quality and less buginess.
The mod has been repacked to follow Geofront's mod installation format as well.

Order of Play

For new players, I highly recommend playing through the entirety of Liberl arc (Trails in the Sky FC, SC and 3rd) before jumping to Crossbell arc (Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure) and ultimately, the Erebonia Arc (Cold Steel I to IV).

Screenshots

I found a bug! Literally unplayable! What do?

Squashing bugs sometimes aren't as easy as it sounds, so providing as much concise information as possible will help them replicate the issue, and hopefully fix it. And to do so, Geofront has set up an issue tracker on their website. You can also check other cases reported by other users.

Issue Reporting - The Geofront

Alternatively, you can join Geofront's official Discord here and ask for support in #azure-troubleshooting

Special Thanks

Nihon Falcom — for making great games for 40 years.
Geofront — for their dedication over the years towards completing this project.

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Excited to play this again with a proper translation. The Geofront team are a blessing for the long suffering English speaking audience.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've updated the script in the Evolution voice assets section to accommodate the newer version of the tools. Thanks, Knurek for alerting me.

• Hug
Reactions: Knurek and QFNS
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Geofront said:
When Trails to Azure was originally released for the PSP by Nihon Falcom in September 2011, Falcom’s limited edition contained a number of items. The most well-known of these items are the Tio and Elie nendoroid petits. However, what it also contained was a drama CD.

This drama CD, named Road to the Future, fills in the blanks regarding what happens with the Special Support Section between the end of Trails from Zero and the beginning of Trails to Azure.

The drama CD can be found on Youtube.

Hidden content

And the translation can be found in the special pages Geofront has provided, below.

Ao no Kiseki Kai voice assets.

Mivey

MeatMember
Sep 20, 2018
For those wanting to play with voice overs, here's a download to the high quality voice files from the Kai release:
As the title suggests, the voice acting from Kai has improvements made to the mastering of Randy's lines. I'm not quite sure how many people were actually aware of this fact since the PS4 version (and its Asian Nintendo Switch port) obviously haven't seen the light of day in the west and were only dumped fairly recently. With The Geofront's release of Azure being on the horizon, I decided to bring this to people's attention and provide a link to the files so people can have them ready on launch day. The installation process is the same as previous voice mods. Drag and drop the talk folder into the game's data folder and the Geofront mod will recognize the files.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Awesome, that means I can start with Zero and play the Crossbell duology back-to-back :steam_pigblanket:
Is there some way to get notified when something is on sale on DLSite? Or do they have some regular summer sale time?

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and QFNS

Mivey

MeatMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished the Prologue to Ao today.
It's really great to have both Crossbell games fully translated, and with an amazing fan patch that really closely matches the experience you had when playing the Trails in the Sky games.

• Comfy
Reactions: QFNS and Kvik
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I didn't have time to play much, today. Still in the prologue, and I still need to download that hotfix for the OP/ED. :flare_pout:

Reactions: QFNS
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Is there some way to get notified when something is on sale on DLSite? Or do they have some regular summer sale time?
I forgot to answer this. DLSite does have a regular sale (the last one was during Golden Week), and if you sign up and subscribe to their newsletter, they periodically send 15%-30% off vouchers you can use on the site.

Reactions: Ascheroth and QFNS

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I forgot to answer this. DLSite does have a regular sale (the last one was during Golden Week), and if you sign up and subscribe to their newsletter, they periodically send 15%-30% off vouchers you can use on the site.
Thanks. Also saw that it has a wishlist and you can opt-in to get mails when something there goes on sale.
Cool cool. That got me covered then.
Looking forward to finally playing these and then continuing on with the rest of Cold Steel and beyond.

• Comfy
Reactions: QFNS and Kvik
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Some light statistics from Discord.

• Trails to Azure was downloaded 8,211 times across all official mirrors during its first day of release.
  • Since its release on March last year, Trails from Zero was downloaded 76,000 times across all mirrors, counting all of its version updates.

Better than some no-name indie game, I'd say. :flare_smirk:

Hopefully I will have more chance to play on the weekend.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've finished with Chapter 1 over the weekend. It's hitting the ground running instead of easing you into it. Reminds me of how 3rd started. Localisation is still on point, as well as chest messages. I've been taking screenshots of Trails in the Chest so I can read it later at my leisure.

NPCs commenting about the side quest Lloyd & co. did for them in Zero was a nice touch.

Dec 5, 2018
Chapter 2 finished.
It's nice to see what was happening during the trade conference..
There's even a mention of a military academy (although I suspect that at the time it wasn't set in stone what it would be).

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
1.0.1 Update includes modding support and a bunch of fixes.

Reactions: Mivey
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm a few days late (my excuse is because I was playing Trails~!), but there's an update for the HD Texture Mod with more additions.

The link in the OP has been updated accordingly.

Dec 5, 2018
Chapter 4 finished.

I finally got to see how The railway guns were removed from existence. at the end of Cold steel.

Also
Did crossbell just become a sort of proto-Authoritarian police state.

I find funny that what's left of the game should take place in about the same amount of time that the majority of CSII takes place.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and QFNS

Mivey

MeatMember
Sep 20, 2018
Crossposting my reaction here from the Zero thread, as I got confused about the OTs. :dizzy-face:

So, I finished Chapter 2 yesterday, and if things keep up, then Azure might easily be my favourite Trails game. That last scene when Mayor Crois calls for the independence of Crossbell State was pure kino. :blobevening:

Really love the addition of Noel and Wazy as well, keeps the interactions in the SSS fresh and interesting, though it's nice that near the end of Chapter 2 you again have the old motley crew again.

Kinda bracing myself for the intermission, as I've been hearing bad things about it for a long time.