Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
General Information
Developer:
Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Private Division
Release Date: October 25th 2019
Platforms: PC | Xbox | PS4 | Switch
Available on PC via Epic Games Store, Windows 10 Store and Xbox App - it is also included in Xbox Games Pass on PC & Console (for Xbox One Players). Switch Version releasing at a later date. Steam version releasing in October 2020.

ABOUT
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features
  • The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.
MEDIA

REVIEWS
Metacritic - 85
Opencritic - 85

LINKS

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I have Game Pass for the next three years. Between this and Gears 5 it's paid for itself already.

I'm just glad I don't have to get this on console or wait a year for the Steam version.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
I just hope the Game Pass version will allow mods. I tried trainers for Wolfentstein II and Metro Exodus (played both via XGP) but they didn't work.

Reactions: ISee and Arsene

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
WinStore allows mods now. They go into a special folder. But the developers need to support it.

Something tells me that, on PC at least, the Game Pass version will be the most popular, so it may be a case that user demand facilitates it. Plus with Obsidian being an MS studio now, they may want to play ball in their new first party home.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Folks.. reviews are out. 85 on OP so far.

Reactions: arts&crafts

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
PS4 version, at some point. I'll most likely rent it from the library when I can, as redbox has failed me yet again.

Annoyed that any sequel will be an M$ exclusive but whatever, at least I'll have this available to me on the platform of my choice.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I am looking forward to playing this tonight. No Steam version is annoying, but Microsoft store DRM is an acceptable downside to be able to play a new Obsidian RPG. (Embarassingly, I had misunderstood the exclusivity arrangements and pre-ordered on Epic launcher as I thought that was the only option, but this thread encouraged me to cancel on Epic and buy on the Microsoft store instead)

Reactions: C-Dub and Arsene

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
Sadly I doubt I will ever get to play this game. No way am I touching it on Epics Shite Store and Microsoft can seriously go eff themselves with their shitty game rental service (no offense intended to those that use it). By the time this comes to Steam I doubt I will care much about it and there will be other games vying for my money.

Reactions: MJunioR

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Sadly I doubt I will ever get to play this game. No way am I touching it on Epics Shite Store and Microsoft can seriously go eff themselves with their shitty game rental service (no offense intended to those that use it). By the time this comes to Steam I doubt I will care much about it and there will be other games vying for my money.
I suppose you may be sarcastically dismissing the Microsoft store DRM scheme as non-ownership and a de facto rental service, but in the case that you are not I would like to clarify that the game isn't exclusive to gamepass. I personally pre-ordered it for PC (for 56 euro in my local currency) on the Microsoft store. The store has plenty of issues, but at least the game is pre-loaded and ready to play in a couple of hours.

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
I suppose you may be sarcastically dismissing the Microsoft store DRM scheme as non-ownership and a de facto rental service, but in the case that you are not I would like to clarify that the game isn't exclusive to gamepass. I personally pre-ordered it for PC (for 56 euro in my local currency) on the Microsoft store. The store has plenty of issues, but at least the game is pre-loaded and ready to play in a couple of hours.
Yeah I know it is also available for sale on microsofts store. I am a veteran of the Games For Windows Live era and also clearly remember the state of microsofts store awhile back (and when you say the store has issues obviously not much has changed). Let me just say that if I ever have to use any purchasing option from microsoft to play games I would rather give up gaming first.

Reactions: d00d3n

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Yeah I know it is also available for sale on microsofts store. I am a veteran of the Games For Windows Live era and also clearly remember the state of microsofts store awhile back (and when you say the store has issues obviously not much has changed). Let me just say that if I ever have to use any purchasing option from microsoft to play games I would rather give up gaming first.
Yeah, the games for windows live debacle affected me as well (I own a lot of games on Steam). However, as much as I don't trust Microsoft, I feel less guilty about buying a greatly anticipated game on their store than the cynical and featureless Epic games launcher.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It's unfortunate a game I've been following for so long has been tarnished (for me) by Epic Game's bullshit.

I hope the Cain/Boyarsky team have made another excellent RPG.

I'll join you all in a year.

Reactions: C-Dub and KainXVIII

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm a bit conflicted.

On the one hand, I'd like to try it now, and Gamepass makes that easy and cheap.
On the other hand, I don't want to support renting games as a model (or MS' remaining bullshit about their store game distribution on a tech level), and I don't want to e.g. lose access to my save data in a game like this at some point.

So, wait for the Steam release or play it now on Gamepass?

It would be easier if it really was EGS exclusive because then there'd be only one option -- waiting :p

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
You should cave in and play the game on Gamepass! (or buy the game on the Microsoft store) We are all starved for games in the immersive sim/RPG space. Prey was more than two years ago. Bloodlines 2 has been delayed. It is time to put some principles aside and enjoy what seems to be a stellar entry in this underserved genre!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's not an immersive sim, but in terms of RPGs I just recently finished Disco Elysium which was an unexpected treat and amazing overall, so I'm somewhat sated ;)

Reactions: C-Dub

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, I have to get back to Disco Elysium (after the outer worlds of course!). I really liked the six hours I played, but I think I overthought the power gaming possibilities instead of focusing on the story like I should have

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Yeah, I have to get back to Disco Elysium (after the outer worlds of course!). I really liked the six hours I played, but I think I overthought the power gaming possibilities instead of focusing on the story like I should have
I do this too since I typically have the time to get through a game once. So I would rather wait until the guides come out to play the game "optimally."

I've done this with every Fallout game ever.

Reactions: d00d3n

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My first kill with a gun. Those limbs popped up very easy or the pistol you get early is really powerful.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I made a M/KB Steam Controller Config (steam://controllerconfig/the%20outer%20worlds/1897878132) if anyone is interested. It uses default controller config as a base, but I included semi-quick weapon switching by clicking the middle of the Left Pad, and dragging up/down/left/or right. You can still hold the Y button to bring up the in-game radial menu if you want.

If you're using GloSC, the path is PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp!App

Custom Cover, BG, Logo, and wide header for the recent list

Last edited:

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Xbox One Gamepass at midnight

I'm too lazy to do GamePass on my pc tbh

Reactions: z1ggy

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I like Obsidian. I like New Vegas.
I like this game.
It's good. :steam_pigblanket:

Not really a looker, but at least it runs very well... despite some occasional stuttering? LOD issues I guess...

Oddly enough, the one thing that I enjoy the most compared to its ancestors is the UI; it looks nice, is practical and is incredibly flavorful and well integrated to the atmosphere of the game. Having a bit of lore on every single item in the game without having to scroll or open the codex is extremely nice too.
The user experience is way too often neglected in RPGs, and 3D Fallout was definitely up there in awfulness.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
It really is New Vegas in Space, which is great!

Also I spent way to long on the character creator and I dont think I will ever even see her!(At least I havent in the first 5 hours)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The Chromatic Aberration sucks, can it be disabled?
Edit: Yessss thanks PC Gaming Wiki.

FUCK CA.

Reactions: fearthedawn

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm a bit conflicted.

On the one hand, I'd like to try it now, and Gamepass makes that easy and cheap.
On the other hand, I don't want to support renting games as a model (or MS' remaining bullshit about their store game distribution on a tech level), and I don't want to e.g. lose access to my save data in a game like this at some point.

It would be easier if it really was EGS exclusive because then there'd be only one option -- waiting :p
If you value your save games, maybe wait. I don't, particularly, so I'm happy to just dive in now and grab it on Steam a year later.

I caved as soon as I saw it was coming to Game Pass. I get opposing the rental model as I'm not its biggest supporter, but I basically use it as a vehicle to play MS first party games one and done. I haven't played anything on there yet that I'd have been happy to pay full price for, so I think I'm definitely getting my value for money there. In fact, I don't think I've played a first party Microsoft title that I've wanted to "own" (as in, have a copy sitting on my shelf) in close to 12-13 years, so from that perspective Game Pass is excellent value for money to play largely decent quality single player games that I will complete once and never go back to.

The Outer Worlds may be the first game on GP that I play and think "damn, I'd have paid full price for that" but in the end that's the publisher's loss. I can always get it on Steam when it's on sale 18 months from now or, if I love it and want to show my support, buy the Switch version when that releases.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm loving the writing so far, but I am so bad at FPSs. I literally died in the second gunfight in the tutorial... Thank god for easy mode!

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
I'm a bit conflicted.

I dont like the renting model either but meanwhile i make up my mind about it, ill play dem games on game pass :face-throwing-a-kiss:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I really like how attributes are balanced during character creation. Allocating up to three attribute points gives progressively increasing benefits per point spent, so you are really tempted to spend the full three points on your favorite stats, but in order to afford this you will have to go below average with other attributes, which is also associated with especially bad penalties. Most attribute systems in other RPGs seem to give linear penalties/benefits, so the system in the outer worlds feels excitingly different

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm loving the writing so far, but I am so bad at FPSs. I literally died in the second gunfight in the tutorial... Thank god for easy mode!
Don't feel too bad, from what i've heard some of the firefights are tricky. Also, i'll drop a slider to easy if i want to and feel no shame about it!

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Don't feel too bad, from what i've heard some of the firefights are tricky. Also, i'll drop a slider to easy if i want to and feel no shame about it!
Now that I've gotten some non-starter weapons, things are muuuuch easier. I have a hunting rifle, grenade launcher, and assault rifle and they tear through enemies.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Oh boy, I dont think I should be fighting these primal behemoths yet
Wow this game is sweet

Reactions: Dandy