|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
The power supply is a RM1000e from Corsair. A bit of a budget PSU in this power class, but a reputable brand, so I didn't think much about it.

Some search I found about the psu but sadly they're not resolved.

Maybe do a last check for every cable in your syatem and make sure there's nothing loose, test the spongebob game again. And RMA the PSU if it does shutdown again.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Some search I found about the psu but sadly they're not resolved.

Maybe do a last check for every cable in your syatem and make sure there's nothing loose, test the spongebob game again. And RMA the PSU if it does shutdown again.
The power cable to the GPU is tightly connected, both on the PSU end, and the GPU. I even tried the 12VHPWR adapter (which takes 2 8-pin power cables as input) that the 4090 shipped with, and the issue persists. So I will just make a warranty exchange claim with Corsair. Hope that a new PSU will fix the issue. If not, then it's likely that this PSU itself just isn't good enough.

• Sad
Reactions: didamangi

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
For what it's worth, higher end Corsairs are generally considered great units, but I have no idea about their budget line.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Bought the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, now I can easily push the pcie latch, temps are the same, cool.

Ignore the dust :p

And this guy advice works, can easily push the latch between my gpu and the nhd15, which is probably less than 5mm with the trim tool. $0,99 to save a lot of hassle (and possible damages) is money well spent I'd say.

Reactions: lashman

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I ordered a new display, the Dell Alienware AW3225QF

QD-OLED screen, 31.6″ size, 16:9 aspect ratio, 4k resolution, and 240 hz.

The thinking is abandoning ultrawide gaming again for better and more hassle free game compatibility, enjoying the higher resolution and higher refresh rate, and freeing up my AW3423DW for my home working office while using the new display for my gaming setup.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
It will probably catch on if the various parties can agree on standardization of some kind. Right now it seems like every mobo manufacturer is doing their own thing, so the case compatibility is limited at best.
Other cableless solutions are in the works too. Asus for example is doing a PCI-E extra power solution that completely removes the need for a GPU cable. PCI-E already provides some power through the connector, so they are basically just adding an extra little connector next to the standard PCI-E slot that provides more juice directly through motherboard. So you need a specific GPU and a specific motherboard to be able to use it to its intended effect.

Personally also don't care about the clean look since I don't use windowed cases, but the QoL stuff that comes from having the connectors on the backside would be nice.

Reactions: QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Making PC easier to assemble and less prone to dumb screwups (see recent 12V High Power connectors) Should always be applauded and encouraged.

Sadly it doesn't look like many manufacturers emphasize that aspect. I can understand that it's hard to market but making things easier to do pays off in making the hobby more accessible.

Now if only they could do something about the insane prices on some components lol.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The power cable to the GPU is tightly connected, both on the PSU end, and the GPU. I even tried the 12VHPWR adapter (which takes 2 8-pin power cables as input) that the 4090 shipped with, and the issue persists. So I will just make a warranty exchange claim with Corsair. Hope that a new PSU will fix the issue. If not, then it's likely that this PSU itself just isn't good enough.
Got the RMA from Corsair. So far it's stable, so hopefully it was just a faulty PSU that I got the first time around.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finally actually installed the GPU. I had been putting it off because I thought it was going to be a whole thing with converting my case from storage layout to regular layout to make the card fit. Turns out I had forgotten that I did that last time I opened up the case, huzzah. Still, at some point I need to look into a new PSU I think. 750W is the recommended, and I have exactly that, and it's a good unit too so I don't expect any trouble. But I would like to have a little more headroom there in case I upgrade my CPU at some point. Also I guess it would be nice to have a new GPU power cable instead of this adapter cable business. I think Corsair sells a cable for my RMX unit, but I don't think I'll bother.
Speaking of, the new socket and plug is a really tight fit, when I initially slotted it in it seemed like it couldn't go in any further, but when I turned the GPU around to check the other side, it was very clearly not all the way in there. You feel it when it locks in to its place, but there's no loud click like the old connectors.
Anyways, I can definitely see how all the hubbub about the 12PWHR cables came to be, you need to use a lot more force than you think you need to, and really make sure the plug is in there. Best to plug it in before you put the GPU in its socket so you can actually look at it better to make sure it's good.

Graphics score went up about 80% in 3DMark Time Spy. It's not quite double the performance I used to aim for when upgrading, but to get there I'd have to go a tier higher and ~300€ more money. :cold-sweat:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Is 12GB GPU cards future proof?

AMD cards are offering 16GB in mid range, but Nvidia 4070 only goes 12GB unless going for highest tier version.
I dont want to go with AMD cards because there's issues with them and many many older games.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I have a 3080ti with 12GB and I've never been near that much usage.

No intention of changing it out any time soon.

Reactions: MegaApple

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Is 12GB GPU cards future proof?

AMD cards are offering 16GB in mid range, but Nvidia 4070 only goes 12GB unless going for highest tier version.
I dont want to go with AMD cards because there's issues with them and many many older games.
There aren't that many issues with AMD cards anymore than there is Nvidia cards.
I have a 7900XT, and for the games that actually provide the info, I've never pushed above 13GB when I maxed out Monster Hunter World intentionally to see what I could push on the VRam. Anything 10GB and above is going to be fine unless you NEED the absolute max settings and 120pfs+ for bleeding edge titles.

Reactions: MegaApple

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
We are in agreement that if the SATA PWR cables in my case can't reach two of the HDD, I should buy an extender like that ?

Amazon product
Could there be power issues and I should change my power supply ?

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
We are in agreement that if the SATA PWR cables in my case can't reach two of the HDD, I should buy an extender like that ?

Amazon product
Could there be power issues and I should change my power supply ?
In general extenders and splitters are fine.
And as long as you don't try to power like 8 or something hdd's with a single sata power cable by splitting it, there shouldn't be any issues there.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
In general extenders and splitters are fine.
And as long as you don't try to power like 8 or something hdd's with a single sata power cable by splitting it, there shouldn't be any issues there.
Thanks. I worked my two brain cells after posting and, as it’s just to extend two plugs that are too short, I don’t see why it would be an issue. Not like I want to multiply, just add reach.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Microsoft wants copilot button on keyboards, Logitech has a mice with a chatgp button, I'm sure soon enough Google will want something for their AI thing too (Bard?).