Opinion There hasn't been a new Grand Theft Auto since 2013. Fuck I miss GTA

Cindi Mayweather

Apr 18, 2019
It's been forever since the last GTA.

I miss GTA so much. Fuck GTA Online for making them so rich they don't need to make a new one. And with how long it took them to make RDR2, it will probably be literally a decade since GTAV when GTAVI drops.

Rockstar is so rich now that GTA is probably the only western game series I can think of that's Dragon Quest status. As in, it could literally result in millions skipping school to buy it. Dragon Quest usually only gets one game a generation now and yet still makes the big bucks in Japan. GTA is now at that kind of cultural level and it's insane to me. I'm happy for them but fuck, I need me some car stealing.

Reactions: Ibuki and Derrick01

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
well they are working on VI ... so there's that ...

probably gonna be a while, though

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
My favorite will always be Vice City. The city, the atmosphere, the music, the characters, the story.

San Andreas, while bigger, never hit the same high notes with me.

GTA IV was technologically great, but hard to play and a bit boring. The characters were not interesting for the most part and the story was.... there?

GTA V: Cool heists, weird story that I didn't finish, despised Trevor.

I don't know. Maybe the series is just not for me anymore...

OP
Cindi Mayweather

Cindi Mayweather

Apr 18, 2019
GTA - fun diversion

GTA: London - slightly more fun diversion

GTA2 - fun story, great gang system, fun gameplay and overall improvement. The first good GTA game.

GTAIII - probably my favorite in the series. Has a heavy emphasis on sandbox gameplay and doing things in your own way. The amount of ways you can carry out mission objectives was great and added to replay value. Probably in my top 10. I also loved the story.

Vice City - Great improvement in some areas. The city is worse than Liberty City in III, but they expanded on the open ended mission structure.

San Andreas - the grand daddy of GTA. Not my favorite but what I consider the best.

GTA: Liberty City Stories - Fun prequel to GTAIII that improves on it in some areas.

GTA: Vice City Stories - If you love Vice City you need to play this.

GTAIV - The less we talk about this the better.

GTAIV: Gay Tony - A much better improvement, the way IV should have been: fun. Online was fun af.

GTAIV: Lost and Damned - Probably the best of the IV "trilogy'. Its story was fantastic.

GTA: Chinatown Wars - the best GTA since SA. After the fun was gone from the franchise when IV dropped this was a breathe of fresh air.

GTAV - Fantastic return to form for the console games. There weren't enough heist missions but it was still good. The story was all over the place and they wore themselves thin by focusing on three characters. Franklin for instance feels like a complete waste of a character. While story was poor, the gameplay was fantastic. I still do assassination missions every now and then.

Last edited:

unknownhero

Apr 18, 2019
As much as I would love a HD vice city, I have to keep my expectations in check. I feel that in V, a lot was left to be desired setting wise. I mean it looked great, do not get me wrong, especially los santos but there was so much untapped potential. The desert wasn't too interesting, not enough forest areas, ambient activity was lol worthy especially with those "random" events. The biggest flaw, as is the case for most gta games, is the economy. I mean, it was better than 4's but it was still lacking. If businesses return in 6, I hope they aren't annoying with those requests. I'm the freaking owner, get the drinks yourselves you lazy bums!.

I also sadly feel that the meat of the game will be focused in online like V was. hopefully I wrong but we'll see.

Reactions: NarohDethan

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I didn't realize it had been that long. San Andreas is still my personal favourite, they really seemed to nail the American Dream satire with that one, though it was also the last one I put any real time into. I played my brother's copy of IV on 360 for a few hours, but it just wasn't as much of a leap gameworld interactivity in terms of how reactive the game was to my actions (eg I blocked off a getaway route with my car pre-cutscene, but post-cutscene that car was gone). as I would have liked. Never put any time into V

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't know, Rockstar and TakeTwo seem a little too focused on monitising the multiplayer and spending little to no resources on additional single player content.

The main story to GTA V IMHO is awful, just wasn't a fan of it at all. Gameplay, visuals and world design are still to this day the best I have seen in an open world game.

unknownhero

Apr 18, 2019
its impressive how gta v looks for a 2013 game didnt realise its been that long ago

this gen has also flown by saying that

Right? say what you want but it's a beautiful looking game. I remember just flying around and soaking up the atmosphere.

OP
Cindi Mayweather

Cindi Mayweather

Apr 18, 2019
I didn't realize it had been that long. San Andreas is still my personal favourite, they really seemed to nail the American Dream satire with that one, though it was also the last one I put any real time into. I played my brother's copy of IV on 360 for a few hours, but it just wasn't as much of a leap gameworld interactivity in terms of how reactive the game was to my actions (eg I blocked off a getaway route with my car pre-cutscene, but post-cutscene that car was gone). as I would have liked. Never put any time into V
I suggest playing Chinatown Wars if at all possible. It's better than both IV and V imo.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The only GTA I really loved was the old top-down one. Me and my younger brother used to play it constantly together. Don't get me wrong, the newer ones were amazing technical masterpieces, but they just weren't for me for many reasons... I don't like driving games for one, and I found a lot of the "humor" to be gross.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
The high points of the series for me were III, Vice City and San Andreas.

IV was kinda boring but its expansions were great. I did enjoy the heists in V but had issues with the plot. Having 3 protagonists hurt the story and I would've preferred a single protagonist like Michael. Franklin was a bit bland and Trevor's shtick got old fast.

Reactions: unknownhero

TubaZef

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
V is still selling pretty well isn't it? Rockstar has no reason to hurry with the next one, but it really doesn't feel that long.
I'm curious to see where the series will go next.

its impressive how gta v looks for a 2013 game didnt realise its been that long ago

Just realized that RDR2 was the only new Rockstar game this gen. The first since GTAV, development surely got slower and more expensive. :grimacing-face:

San Andreas is still the best in the series to me (and apparently to many people considering how we keep seeing mods and memes for it), it knew exactly what it wanted to be, had no shame in being silly and fun. Unlike IV which tried to add drama to the thing and felt completely out of place.

The 3 protagonists thing in V was pretty clever to me, a way to balance the serious and silly in GTA.

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
I would fucking love to see them rip Max Payne 3s shooting (and even slow mo/diving) mechanics and put them into a new GTA game. Going to GTA V after MP3 was such a disappointment in that regard. You give me both of those and I'd very likely play GTA 6 for a looooooooooooong time.

After recently playing MP3 at 1440p/144hz after upgrading my PC I can confirm it looks and runs amazing still as well. Some dodgy textures here and there but overall still generally full of amazing details even 7 years later. Rockstars recent games have aged really well in terms of graphics, Now hurry up Rockstar and give me some of that Red Dead Redemption 2 goodness on PC. :p

Reactions: Prodigy

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've started to play gta4 several times, but got tired of it after a few hours each time again. Played some gta5 at my friends house, but it looked like more the same. Rockstar's games aren't for me anymore I guess. I didn't like RDR as well.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I've been waiting since 2005 for a "real" GTA to release. V was definitely a step forward after IV but it was still held back by Rockstar's obsession with realism. They had to create 3 characters just to make 1 have a background with flying planes because it "wouldn't make sense" for franklin and michael to be able to randomly hop into a fighter jet and take off.

When I read that I realized that even though V took steps to be more fun again, that Rockstar ultimately still doesn't get it. I feel like RDR 2 reinforces this as they tripled down on realism with absurd looting and skinning animations that are detrimental to playing.

TubaZef

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I've been waiting since 2005 for a "real" GTA to release. V was definitely a step forward after IV but it was still held back by Rockstar's obsession with realism. They had to create 3 characters just to make 1 have a background with flying planes because it "wouldn't make sense" for franklin and michael to be able to randomly hop into a fighter jet and take off.

When I read that I realized that even though V took steps to be more fun again, that Rockstar ultimately still doesn't get it. I feel like RDR 2 reinforces this as they tripled down on realism with absurd looting and skinning animations that are detrimental to playing.
Saints Row kinda picked up where GTA San Andreas left in 2005. Or at least 1 and 2 did. SR3 and 4 might be a little too over the top for some people.

Reactions: unknownhero

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
2013, huh.. Time sure flies feels like yesterday I plugged in my PS3 to play it.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

unknownhero

Apr 18, 2019
Saints Row kinda picked up where GTA San Andreas left in 2005. Or at least 1 and 2 did. SR3 and 4 might be a little too over the top for some people.

speaking of saints row 2, say what you want but they had the best random events over V. Streakers, protestors, construction, pimp fights. It was awesome.

Reactions: Cindi Mayweather

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I actually haven't bought GTA V yet. I'm going through my backlog and there are still so many games to play.

Eddoes&Yam

Signed up just for the custom tag
Oct 4, 2018
We should be getting Watch_Dogs 3 later this year that could hold us off for a while.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
GTA - fun diversion

GTA: London - slightly more fun diversion

GTA2 - fun story, great gang system, fun gameplay and overall improvement. The first good GTA game.

GTAIII - probably my favorite in the series. Has a heavy emphasis on sandbox gameplay and doing things in your own way. The amount of ways you can carry out mission objectives was great and added to replay value. Probably in my top 10. I also loved the story.

Vice City - Great improvement in some areas. The city is worse than Liberty City in III, but they expanded on the open ended mission structure.

San Andreas - the grand daddy of GTA. Not my favorite but what I consider the best.

GTA: Liberty City Stories - Fun prequel to GTAIII that improves on it in some areas.

GTA: Vice City Stories - If you love Vice City you need to play this.

GTAIV - The less we talk about this the better.

GTAIV: Gay Tony - A much better improvement, the way IV should have been: fun. Online was fun af.

GTAIV: Lost and Damned - Probably the best of the IV "trilogy'. Its story was fantastic.

GTA: Chinatown Wars - the best GTA since SA. After the fun was gone from the franchise when IV dropped this was a breathe of fresh air.

GTAV - Fantastic return to form for the console games. There weren't enough heist missions but it was still good. The story was all over the place and they wore themselves thin by focusing on three characters. Franklin for instance feels like a complete waste of a character. While story was poor, the gameplay was fantastic. I still do assassination missions every now and then.
Nice breakdown. I played all but Chinatown Wars. (I just can't get into portable gaming).

I consider GTA III the granddaddy. It's the progenitor to modern sandbox/open world gaming.

I agree that Franklin is a vapid character. It's like...trying to create CJ's cousin, who has hardly evolved from SA. I get that he's Michael's protege, but he is not nearly as well-developed.