Support Third party tech support services?

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Does anyone have any recommendations for a third-party tech support services in the US? For someone who has frequent computer issues (and is very tech-illiterate) but no specific warranty with a manufacturer? My wife's co-worker is asking because she wants to stop bugging her friends all the time.

So far I've found these 2 services, but they're kind of expensive (as I'm sure any decent service like this would be) but I can't really get a sense of how good they are from a couple random customer reviews.

If anyone has advice on these or knowledge of any other services it would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: lashman

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Unfortunately I can't help with either of the ones you mentioned and haven't personally used any.

But there's also Geek Squad from Best Buy. I have a couple family members that tried them in a past and were mostly satisfied, a bit expensive perhaps given that it sounded like relatively easy fixes. I believe they offer help online and over the phone too.

Reactions: Taborcarn
OP
Taborcarn

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Yeah I figured Geek Squad would be kind of a last resort, and wasn't sure if it only applied to things that were purchased at Best Buy. I've heard horror stories from others about both quality of fixes and the time it could take, so I was hoping there were some other decent alternatives out there.

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Ah, yeah that's fair. I'm usually the go to person for family and friends so I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to folks and companies that actually have a career in tech support.

You also bring up a good point about the time Geek Squad requires for their services. My uncle took a tablet to them and they wanted to keep it for a few days to a week, can't remember exactly, but it was far too long. I fixed it in a couple hours.

Wish I could be more help.. hopefully someone has a little more experience with trying out those or other tech support services.

Reactions: Taborcarn