Discussion Top 5 Favorite or Most played games from your Childhood!

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
As the title says, let's talk about games from our childhood. If you're old enough or circumstances dictated that games weren't a big part of growing up, that's ok too! Just find the earliest part of your life where you started playing games and try to remember the favorites that built your tastes or occupied the majority of your time. You can discuss them or recommend them, maybe folks will find some old gems to play for themselves! (Also there is no restriction on Console/PC/Other.

Since I'm the OP, I'll start and you can copy my example if desired. I won't be listing them in a specific order, just 5 games that would define my childhood gaming experience.

1: Final Fantasy IX (Playstation 1)

Everyone knows this game. And for Millennials in my age group, you either choose this as your favorite FF or it happens to be FF7. For me FF9 was an emotional roller coaster. It's the first game I ever felt emotional with. Not only does it ponder some deep themes and classism throughout, but you've got multiple romance subplots wrapped up in a beautiful presentation and a big return to traditional Fantasy.

This game spans 4 discs, each with it's own twists and turns. It's a long game but it never felt dull or boring. This game would inspire my love for JRPG mechanics, and Final Fantasy in general. From here, I worked my way backwards through the series and than forwards as newer ones came out. Even today I'm still a HUGE FF fanboy. And it all comes back to this game. I've beaten it at least 4 times through.

2: The Legend of Zelda OoT (N64)

I suspect this game will be on many peoples lists. Ocarina of Time was not my first Zelda, that honor goes to "A Link to the Past" on SNES. The problem is, at the height of the SNES days, I was just too young to wrap my head around things properly. Zelda LTTP mine as well have just been a hack and slash with no story to me. But a few years later and more a developed brain, OoT was the hotness. My grandpa was playing it, My dad was playing it, the neighbors were playing it. Shit, my grandpa would call my Dad at work and say "come help me beat this boss!" :LOL:

I myself played this game so much, I feel like I could play it to completion with my eyes closed.

3: Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation Vs. Zeon (Playstation 2)

This game is the definition of Arcade fun and possibly clocked more hours on my PS2 than all other games I played on it combined. Not only do you have short Arcade style quick-play stories, you have local multiplayer and co-op, you have instanced free missions against AI, and you have story modes with over a hundred missions on both sides of the conflict. You even get to role-play your own character as it covers the entire story of the original Gundam series.

The music slaps, the graphics are insanely good (for PS2) and it controlled very well. The Space battles were insanity! Somehow they captured it very well. The combat in general was pretty tense, every mobile suit had specials, sub-weapons, main weapons, and melee combos/modes.

I'm actually quite sad they don't put out games like this anymore. Now the latest Gundam Arcade fun is online PvP Overwatch lite crap. :cry:

4: Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)

Words cannot express how addicted I was to this game. I played it nearly every-day for a year straight. This was before Animal Crossing let you create your character, so you had to look up guides to answer the opening questions in a specific way to get the character you wanted. I didn't mind. I spent hours and hours looking online for various guides and communities for this game. On that note, I think this is the first "social" game I ever played.

5: Halo 2 (Xbox)

Ah, yup. Halo 2. When I first played this I had not yet experienced Halo 1. BUT this was so many firsts for me. First time playing something online competitively, first time paying a subscription (XBL), first time experiencing trash talk online lol and so much more. While the online portion of this game was fairly important and revolutionary, for me, the Campaign and it's varying difficulties plus the addition of "Skulls" made the story mode nearly unending fun to challenge.

Me, my brother (before he passed), and my Dad spent sooooo much time playing co-op and multiplayer locally in this game. It's some of my most fond memories of that time. We did the Scarab Gun! We did the "outside the map" trick a billion times on Outskirts and Metropolis. Shit one time we nudged Hunters onto the banshees at the final level and brought them to the boss fight with Tartarus! My pops and I will never forget that one in a million experience.

My love for this game would later inspire me to spend many of my pre-teen hours reading the Halo Novels, even the spin off ones. I went backwards and experienced Halo CE. I eagerly awaited Halo 3 and even got wrapped up in the viral marketing/ARG Campaign. Halo Reach ended up being my first ever "midnight release" that I waited hours for in a line. And it all started with this and the good times I had with family and friends via local/online interactions.
=====

Your turn MC!

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
I didn't really play much video games growing up, it was mainly Neopets, then flash games, then those Facebook timewasters. But The Sims 2 was pretty much a constant in my life since its release. I call it my comfort game. Even if I don't actively play it now, I still window shop for custom content once in a while.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Childhood games? How am I supposed to remember those! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast. :flare_sleepy:

Joking aside, there were a number of games I did play quite a few times when I was younger. I never had a console when I was growing up, but a PC was a constant presence in my life. All of these games I played on my dad's PC, until he bought a PC and I had the old one when I entered year 7 (that's middle school for US folks). :flare_lmao:

Star Control II (PC-DOS/1992)

The mix of RPG, VN and action combat in this game combined into something really special. It's an open-world game before “open-world” is even a term! The lore is deep, and the alien characters are so full of personality. Each species has their own unique themes, and it's also one of my earliest encounter with electronic music. The super-melee co-op game where 2 players can play on a single keyboard was great too. My close friend back then probably spent uncountable hours on it, and had me run into trouble with my mum several times, who run her household with strict discipline. :flare_lmao:

Ultima VII (PC-DOS/1992)

The true originator of open-world RPG. The way U7 weaved its narrative and presented its RPG system was definitely ahead of its time, although definitely not without its blemishes. The way we can till the land, harvest the wheat, mill the wheat into flour and bake the flour into bread was one of the things that made U7 unparalleled in its simulation systems. The inventory system was a bit of a mess before the keyring made its appearance in Silver Seed. Wrestling with DOS4GW to get the game running was a chore, especially in a system with low RAM, but it also taught me a little about tinkering with DOS. I guess my love for tinkering with games originated with this game.

Might and Magic III (PC-DOS/1991)

My first ever DRPG. I love the exploration in this game a lot. There was a lot of dungeon diving, puzzles and secrets to discover. I like that the portraits of the party members change depending on their status/conditions. Another thing I love about the game is how they used the UI decorations to such a great effect. For example, the bat at the top of the screen will open and close its mouth whenever there's a hostile nearby. The lizard in the bottom right corner will move its hand if the party is facing a fake wall/hidden alcove they can “bash” in. And the gargoyle on the left side will flap its wings if the party has “levitated” status.

Dune II (PC-DOS/1992)

Probably my first RTS game ever. I remember I struggled with the game a lot (hell, I'm still struggling with RTS games to this day!) :flare_lmao:Still, not a bad way to spend school holiday back then. My friend taught me how to use hex editor to edit the savegames and give ourselves a lot of Credits. It's a shame there's no way to buy this game digitally anywhere. The systems might be slow and archaic by today's standard, but it's still a valuable history lesson.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
My top 5 most played is probably the most interesting list to think about. My top 5 favorite would mostly be the expected.

Top 5 Most Played Games
1. Tetris (GB)
- One of the earliest games I have even played that I still play from time to time to this very day. Literally have played this exact version just within the past year. Hands down one of the best games I have played and one of the best games I will ever play. Still own my original copy, unfortunately cannot say the same about the actual Gameboy :notlikethisblob: so I play on my Gameboy Color.

2. Oregon Trail (DOS) - Technically I played the DOS version at school until I got a copy of the Windows version several years later. Have not played this in several years, but it was such a popular game for its time. Played the heck out of it at school, and eventually, at home. Admittedly, most of the fun came from getting to play it at school. :evilblob:

3. Everquest (PC) - I played soooo much of this. This was early days of the indexed internet, and in hindsight, it made everything so much more magical in that I could not just go search Google or Youtube to see what I should or should not be doing. This game was amazing at the time, I know it copied a lot of Ultima, that then WoW went on to copy a lot from this and Ultima, but it had its moment in the sun. I think I started just before or just after Ruins of Kunark expac, the first expac. I quit just after the Shadows of Luclin expac, if I recall, this was when graphics were updated and it was not good, plus I seem to recall it required a higher end machine for those newer areas. At any rate, I was at a point I was ready to move on. I miss the feeling of early MMOs before folks started talking about meta-topics like endgame and gear.

4.CyberTown/ColonyCity) (PC/Website) - Massive kudos if anyone else knows what this is, but I "played" a lotttt of this. In reality, it was a glorified 3D chat room, but it was something so ahead of its time. It was essentially pre-Second Life. It was really trying to be a "metaverse" by allowing folks to get a "job" and make money to spend on goods. It is also where I learned about Newgrounds, Neopets, and lots of other early internet sites as I spoke with folks who told me about all of these cool things to check out, so for that reason, I have to list it here since it really changed my experiences around gaming and the internet. Also ran terribly on our family PC. See more info on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyberTown

5.The Sims (PC) - I remember being so excited for another game from Will Wright as I loved the "Sim" games, especially SimCity 2000 and SimCopter This was a day one play for me. The OG Sims was just a treat and I remember thinking at that time that this could spawn a new genre of life simulator games, in some ways I was wrong, and in some ways I look at the hours I have spent in something like Powerwash Simulator and think maybe I was just not thinking creatively enough. Of course, the huge number of expansions sucked then, but at the time it seemed less egregious since the expansions were new and novel. Later Sims did not have the same luxury when restarting from zero and make you forget what you had in the earlier Sims. Sims 2 is still probably the best balance of the Sims series as a whole in my opinion though.

Honorable mentions, might actually have played these more than some of the others, but have no way of checking:
Starcraft, played a lot of custom games, never the actual RTS online, as I sucked
Diablo 2, played a lot with friends online

___

Speaking of FF9, massive confession time, I have never beat FF9. I played sooooo much of it when I was young. It is my favorite FF, yet I get to a very particular part and I have always restarted. This has happened 7 or 8 times in my life. I cannot explain it, but it is something about it that feels like it would close a chapter on that part of my life, so I just never finished it.

I never knew the name of the title screen song either until I was much older, but it is fitting to how I think I feel about the game. Like it is the game I have told myself I will return to someday and some feeling in my childhood, but maybe someday!

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So after thinking about it, I'm counting childhood up till you are like 15 and of all the games that had most impact on me as to what kind of games I like today. When thinking about it I'm surprised about some things, like I loved my C64 and especially my Amiga 500 yet I can't really remember any of their games have much of an impact on me.

Here are five games without any particular order!

Like holy shit DOOM blew me away when I first saw it. I was pretty avid console gamer and a PC wasn't really on my radar so I went to someones house to check it out and I think DOOM single handedly put me on the path to become a PC enthusiast.

-

The hype I had for this game in unparalleled, me and my friend went to my home on lunch breaks from school just to see if it had arrived in the mail. And once we started playing it is still one of my favorite COOP experiences.

-

I used to play this like crazy in the arcade and then when I got it on the NES I played a ton of it there too! I can't really say why it is special but I just remember playing it a ton!

-

I can't remember ever finishing Metroid but it was one of the first games that made me realise the mystery and world immersion that a game can have. That feeling certainly was special and think why I love games as an entertainment medium the most.
-

Zelda cemented my love for games. The sense of exploration and being able to disappear into a world and to do things at your own pace are corner stones that I require of games now. Zelda showed even back then what's possible and is the reason I so often can be disappointed with games today, seeing another linear game that wants to be a movie makes me sad, when one knows what's possible with the medium.

OP
「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Glad the thread warmed up with some posts.

I didn't really play much video games growing up, it was mainly Neopets, then flash games, then those Facebook timewasters. But The Sims 2 was pretty much a constant in my life since its release. I call it my comfort game. Even if I don't actively play it now, I still window shop for custom content once in a while.
Yeesh, I had totally blackholed Neopets and most other browser games (Runescape i think it was called?) from my preteen years lol.
I wonder if Tamagotchi counts too, cuz damn I had one of those for a long time as well.

2. Oregon Trail (DOS) - Technically I played the DOS version at school until I got a copy of the Windows version several years later. Have not played this in several years, but it was such a popular game for its time. Played the heck out of it at school, and eventually, at home. Admittedly, most of the fun came from getting to play it at school. :evilblob:
I remember when kids would bring a (somehow) playable version of StarCraft on flash drives to school and plug them into the computers and goof off. :LOL:

I keep meaning to return to FF9 also. I haven't beaten it or made it past the prologue in like a decade in a half. Reckon I'm saving it for when I can set aside some time to bull through the entire series 1 to 15, something I've been meaning to do for a while now. (Originally planned to do so before FFXIV Endwalker launched but... oof.)

The hype I had for this game in unparalleled, me and my friend went to my home on lunch breaks from school just to see if it had arrived in the mail. And once we started playing it is still one of my favorite COOP experiences.
Wow, I had no idea this game had multiplayer. I'm assuming like local co-op? My pops owned a JP copy of this and I never got around to it.
Now I'm curious what other older RPG's secretly had co-op I never knew about... :thinking-face:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
The ones that stick out the most in memory (going up to 93 for "childhood") would be:

Tetris
Street Fighter 2
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart
Anstoss (On the Ball)

(after that it was getting my own pc and all the pc gaming classics taking over my life.)

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I feel this all comes a little bit down to what age range you define as childhood? If we count anything under 14 (which would be my definition) it'd be these 5

Fun fact: I thought my whole life what i played a lot was RollerCaster Tycoon 2 because i had a pirated copy that had it printed on the disc, only when the games rereleased on steam, i found out what i played all those years was the first game lol

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For me this covers a span of about 6 years between getting my Vic 20 in 1982 (ish) to around 1988/89 when I left school and started work. So finding 5 games is going to be almost impossible for me. However there are a handful of games that I remember spending far too much time on. So this isn't in any particular order.

1. Elite (BBC Micro)

I have very fond memories of this. I never owned this particular version of the game. In fact I don't think I ever owned the game. However afterschool I always used to go around to a friends who owned the BBC Micro and had a copy of Elite. Each afternoon, for a good few months, we spent an hour taking turn of using one save file and playing through the game. I even remember after many false start and lots of lost ships and cargo we managed to reach the status of Elite.

I really need to put more time into Elite Dangerous.

2. Tetris (C64)

This is a bit of a cheat. But only a bit. You see my most played version is actually the Gameboy version. I honestly couldn't tel you how many hours I have put into that version. I would imagine we are talking the thousands of hours. However this wasn't the version I first played. It was the C64 version. While I don't remember it having that one song that is forever associated with Tetris, it still had a pretty cool soundtrack. I will say that this is still probably my GOAT as far as I am concerned. I have been playing this game on and off for the last 38 years.

3. Uridium (C64)

Unlike the other games on this list, I don't think this has quite stood the test of time. But I spent a lot of time on this game. Mainly trying to clear the second stage and I don't even remember if I ever managed to. However one aspect that has stood the test of time is the Soundtrack. Still sounds great now.

4. Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

While I don't really play much in the way of Dungeon Crawlers anymore, for a while in the 90's it was probably my favourite genre. Playing the likes of Dungeon Hack or Eye of the Beholder series. However that love started back in the late 80's with Dungeon Master. A friends dad had an Atari ST and we used to spend many an hour playing Dungeon Master. I think this is also the game that started my love of things like D&D and Warhammer.

5. Repton (Acorn Electron)

While I can't claim that any single game is the longest one I played as a child. However I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this is the one series I played the most during that period. The game itself is a rip off of Boulderdash made by somebody who never actually played the games and was enamoured by the reviews. It is a slightly more sedate version of those games. So later on, when I eventually played Boulderdash it could not hold a candle to Repton in my eyes. This was my original love.

Honourable mentions go out to Hopper and Blitz on the Vic 20. These are the 2 games that came with my Vic 20 way back in the early 80's. Hopper, unsurprisingly, is a Frogger clone. Blitz had you destroying skyscrapers to allow you land. Not very PC nowadays but very simplistic fun when your a 10 year old kid who hadn't really seen anything else.

Also looks like I was lieing when I said I couldn't find 5 games.

I would say, that games like Super Mario 64, Secret of Mana, Dune 2 and Sonic probably would have made the list instead if I had been allowed to go to my early 20's. But Tetris would still and always be there.