Discussion Trailers that Blew Your Mind!

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
this trailer and keeping up with Sakurai's daily updates on the Smash website were basically my life for awhile
[UWSL][/UWSL]

ArcSys doing the impossible and creating an impressive 3D art style that mimics sprite-based graphics
[UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL]Monster Hunter finally gaining significant visual and systematic overhauls to take advantage of modern consoles[/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
[UWSL]Monster Hunter finally gaining significant visual and systematic overhauls to take advantage of modern consoles[/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
Damn, that MH trailer was even nicer than I remember. Filled to the brim with actual gameplay at that!

The one trailer that blew my mind was SC's original pitch in 2012. The sheer level of detail on kilometer-long capital ships boggled my mind and it's been outdoing itself (mostly) ever since.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Watching this MGS2 trailer 20 years ago...

3D games had never looked this good before. In fact, MGS2 is so impressive that I feel, visually, it hasn't aged badly at all.

And watching this Persona 5 trailer has never made me more hyped for a game in my life.

It's got style, a great soundtrack, gives you a sneek peak at some of the new characters, the battle system and some of the activities you can do. Everything about this trailer screamed that it was a huge leap from Persona 4 both thematically and from a gameplay perspective.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, so, let's post a few, shall we?

Let's start with Control, but not the reveal trailer but the second trailer "World" why? easy, it's exactly what I wanted this game to be, a mix of SCP Foundation, horror, mystery and the building itself, music is omniscient and almost religious at some points while the narrator tells us about "The Oldest House"

An absolute perfect way to sell me your game, Remedy.

Now let's continue with Half-Life: Alyx, why? well, let's put it simple, first of all it a new Hal-Life game after all this years that promises not only the comeback of Valve as a SP games developer but also as a enormous comeback of the saga with a new story set in this amazing universe but also is promising us that this is the VR game that some of us (I'm a huge VR fan) were waiting for, and GODDAMN if it was, this is my GOTY 2020 but little I knew about it in Nov 2019 that this was going to be so massive.

I remember watching this trailer over and over again for the next few days, it was absolutely impressive.

And that's it for now, I will share trailers I loved from time to time, I like this thread.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It has no gameplay, but god damn whoever put this together has basically lodged it in my mind as the best teaser trailer ever
World in Conflict NYC trailer

And another with actual gameplay, that sadly never came to be:
DNF 2001

Still use the orchestral theme as my ringtone

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I know there were some as a kid I thought looked so good that I would rewatch. Or had such a great combination of music and style that I loved them (Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia 2008). But I think some of the most excited I got from a trailer was when something is just surprising and looks unlike anything else at the time.

And that was the Capcom 5. Back in those early days we just didn't see stuff that looked this different. Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe obviously were the most eye-catching but I was also incredibly pumped for PN03 after seeing the first reveal.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Gonna go with the obvious one, although it's debatable whether those are technically trailers. Is it a trailer if it shows absolutely zero game footage? Sure, pre-rendered trailers also don't, but at least they pretend to.

Anyway.

The Halo 3 "Believe" series of shorts. The diorama. The museum of humanity interviews. This was about as serious as a game ever took itself as a cultural event, and a piece of fiction. It blows my mind to this day that these were made. And at least for me, they still work.

Last edited: