Community Troubleshooting - My PC has gone silent

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hey all,

Just posting this thread in the hope that somebody can shed some light on my issue.
As apparent in the thread title, my PC, whose OS install is a few months old, just can't output any sound. One day it can, and the next zilch.

Tried reinstalling Realtek HD audio, checked if the sound output wasn't messed up in settings (like for example how a dualshock 4 can when plugged in), no windows update left to do... I'm at a loss.

My only supposition is that the audio loss is linked to my main ssd being in the process of dying (can't spare the cash though, this month is tight as fuck). But it seems awfully convenient, the ssd already messed with installed softwares several times but nothing a few reboot couldn't change. What I mean is, the issues were temporary, this one looks like it's here to stay. Not the usual behavior i'm used to in case of ssd issues.

Any idea ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i'm just guessing here, but ... maybe the sound "card" is dying too? or, well, already dead, i guess ...

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
  • No sound card, integrated audio from the mobo. Which uh, would be terrible since it is two months old.
  • What an idiot, didn't think about pluging a headset, will try asap.
Edit - I've got sound in the headset !

So the mystery deepens, what the fuck should I conclude from that ? My cheap sound system dying from one day to the next ? It seems awfully convenient too. I guess that rules out a ssd issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
How do you have your speakers hooked up to your PC? Is it an aux cable? And by sound system, do you mean your computer speakers? Same with the headset, is it aux or USB? If they are both aux, that would suggest to me an issue with your speakers. Make sure everything is connected properly. If your speakers work through USB, it could be a driver issue.

Also, how old is your SSD? SSDs rarely die, so I wouldn't worry about that.

OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, yeah, I was speaking too vaguely, I meant speakers (as in 2.1). It is plugged like the headset, with an aux cable on the back panel. The headset was tested on the front panel because I'm a lazy bum.

SSD is unfortunately pretty certain, it's a several years old Intel one and the bundled diagnostic tool freaks out when I use it.

No need for translation, the red color sums it up nicely :fearful-face:

Reactions: lashman