Opinion Ultrawide or HDR?

Ultrawide or HDR?

• Total voters

Self_Destructive

Jul 19, 2021
This is obviously directed at PC gamers primarily.. and you can only pic one.

If you had to make the choice, which would it be?

After having my 38GL950G-B for a while now, I don't think I could ever go back to regular widescreen for gaming, regardless of how good the HDR is.

Obviously I know that not all games support ultrawide... but when a game does, I find the experience just so much more immersive.

Am I alone on this one?

Reactions: lashman

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I have a 1440p monitor, but I have a HDR TV and it's not all that IMO, I'd love an Ultrawide if I ever get a new GPU :frowning-face-with-open-mouth:

Reactions: Self_Destructive

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Once you go UW you can't go back. At least that's how I feel. The extra screen space is just so wonderful, both inside and outside of gaming.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I made the choice for ultrawide and would do so again, but it's certainly something for the tinkerer because so many games require unofficial patches/tools/hex edits for support

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I only game on the TV or my little netbook thing and so I picked HDR but I think I could appreciate the glory of ultrawide if i had that set up.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Just grabbed myself UW and can only recommend them. I also have OLED for the HDR experience though so I didn't have to choose, but for desktop PC gaming, get UW.

• Love

Aztechnology

Just wants 4 player Total War
Jul 16, 2021
That’s a tough one. But seeing as I have a C9 oled, used it as a monitor, but ended up favoring my LG UW monitor I’ve gotta say UW. Also I’ve come around to the belief that 27” height monitors are superior to 32”. It’s just the right height, especially for UW for everything to fit in view at a desk.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I feel ultrawide is nice when it works. But when you play a 16:9 game on a 21:9 monitor it is an unpleasant experience due to the black bars.

I’ve also struggled with ultrawide when doing in-home streaming. It’s not that ultrawide is bad, but support is. I’m at a point where I’m ready to ditch my ultrawide desktop monitor for two 16:9 displays again because depending on the game/app, I spend more time pissing about with ultrawide than I do using the game/app.

Playing a non-HDR game on a HDR screen is fine, however. And HDR is incredible when it works.

So I voted HDR for that reason.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I feel like UW has more practical use whereas HDR on PC is only relevant in specific applications. Both can be hit or miss in their implementation, but I think the added value of UW would do more for me than HDR, so if I were to choose between the two that's what I'd go for.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Both of them are (currently) somewhat situational and not universally supported in gaming, though I think UW is slightly more supported overall. Good HDR monitors are also still extremely expensive, UW not quite as much.

Outside of gaming, for desktop work, UW is fantastic especially if you only have one monitor (and multi-monitor mostly sucks for gaming, so I think UW is great for hybrid setups).

Personally, I don't plan on buying a new monitor until I can get both (but I am already on an UW monitor I'm reasonably happy with).

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
As an owner of a monitor with both of them i'd say ultrawide, its a gamechanger as a workstation and also on a gaming focused setup. Its not always supported and you'll have to rely on mods and such, so everything you said its true basically, but its such a pleasing experience that its worth the hassle.
HDR is nice and all but its also almost not supported on a gaming space. Outside of AAA games you'll never have content that support HDR.
If I had to give some rough numbers I'd say that from 1 to 10 you could have 7-10 ultrawide supported games while just 3-10 HDR ready games available on the market right now.

sca

Jul 16, 2021
Ultrawide. I don't mind the black bars on the side for incompatible content. On a related note, I'm currently going back and forth between 4k or ultrawide, especially since LG will be releasing a 42" OLED sometime this year (unless it's already released)

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Ultra wide for me. I had an old cheap monitor that was ultra wide. Nothing fancy. But great for the games that support it.

Also it's that wonderful thing about pcs. So many uses for it outside of gaming.