News Valve Index is the game maker’s brand-new VR headset, slated for May 2019

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Valve Corporation's long-rumored VR headset is finally real. After allying with HTC to launch the Vive as a SteamVR product in 2016, Valve has moved ahead with plans to launch its own headset, the Valve Index, in "May 2019."

The news came on Friday in the form of a single teaser image, shown above, of a headset with the phrase "Valve Index" written on its front. The front of the headset is flanked by at least two sensors. This shadow-covered hardware matches the leaked headset reported by UploadVR in November of last year. That report hinted to Valve's headset supporting a wider 135-degree FOV, as opposed to the roughly 110-degree FOV of the original HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

Valve's dedicated website for the new device includes no other information than the above image and the date "May 2019." It does not include any mention of the new SteamVR Knuckles controllers, which Valve has advertised pretty heavily via developer outreach since their 2016 reveal and a later series of improved prototypes in 2018. This page also doesn't mention a series of three Valve-produced VR games that have been repeatedly advertised by Valve co-founder Gabe Newell since 2017.

The "May 2019" window should put Valve Index on pace to launch right next to two new Oculus headsets. The wireless, no-PC Oculus Quest and the PC-connected Oculus Rift S are both slated to launch in "Spring 2019," and we went eyes-on with both headsets at last week's Game Developers Conference.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Hopefully I can play sitting at my desk.
Almost a 100% certainty on that, since there is no reason to limit your hardware like that.

Me on the other hand - I have to be ducking and diving - can't help myself; until some day I brake some bones / furniture.

Reactions: lashman

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Let me confirm some games developed with the hardware:
  • No Man's Sky (VR)
  • The Gallery Ep 3
  • HLVR / Portal VR

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
i won't be buying anything because i can't afford anything

no money = no problem

:suicide-blob:
Would you be able to afford it if the cost was split like a monthly mobile phone you payoff over a couple of years, interest free?
I kind of think the higher end devices should take that approach in at least some official capacity. Only reason I bothered with my new phone is something like that

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Would you be able to afford it if the cost was split like a monthly mobile phone you payoff over a couple of years, interest free?
yeah, probably ... dunno if i'd buy it even then (i'm a freelancer, i have no guarantee i'd have the money to pay every single month over a couple of years) ... but at least there's like a 1% chance, i guess ... without that - 0%

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
... and the Half-Life thing, no?
Added it, but I'm less certain since its Valve!

We should start betting on a release date

yeah, probably ... dunno if i'd buy it even then (i'm a freelancer, i have no guarantee i'd have the money to pay every single month over a couple of years) ... but at least there's like a 1% chance, i guess ... without that - 0%
Time we email GabeN and ask for a freebie!

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
We should start betting on a release date
Well I would hope May 2019? doesn't make much sense imo to put up a teaser page with a date when i can't order it then. valve wouldn't put up an announcement for an announcement just to toy with me!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Isn't that the Client overhaul?
I'd guess August / September - or it's just a Beta testing announcement since they can't meet the timelines :ROFLMAO:
i didn't specify which summer :smart-thinking-blob: that's the volvo way ;)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Weird that it seems to have cameras indicating inside out tracking like WMR/Rift S when iirc Valve had worked on a v 2.0 of their lighthouse tracking implying they'd iterate on it. Either way I hope the tracking quality remains great and if that means less hassle and easier set up and maybe a lower cost without base stations that's cool. I'd guess May means full reveal, not release, it's Valve. Still, hopefully it's consumer focused at a good price range, their partnership with HTC made those products pretty premium priced. VR needs more Rift style pricing to me at its core, they can always have pro models for better resolution and maybe fov and such stuff but otherwise the same controllers and capabilities should be available for all their users. To me 400 is the sweet spot (for sales to be down to 300 on occasion)! Not that I'd upgrade soon, Rift & Touch are fine for a long time. So, if this launches at 600 this or next year, I guess by 2023 or so that I may upgrade in something sweet for 350 could be achieved.

Last edited:

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
While I've enjoyed my Pimax HMD, I can't say I am too impressed by VR so far in order to buy another headset. If anything I was way more blown away with ultrawide gaming, despite having the worst setup imaginable. On the positive side I am happy to see Valve still committed to making hardware. My two SC wait patiently for the arrival of a revised model.

Deleted member 113

The pricing of most VR equipment made me lose any interest in the technology up until now, especially since most games available are just little tech demos, with limited movement, and with little interest to me.

If they can come out with an affordable equipment, that works well, and provide enjoyable games/experiences with it, I'll certainly give it a try.
Oh, and I'm hoping it's compatible with Star Trek: Bridge Crew. :giggle:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Weird that it seems to have cameras indicating inside out tracking like WMR/Rift S when iirc Valve had worked on a v 2.0 of their lighthouse tracking implying they'd iterate on it.
i bet those are passthrough cameras and not used for tracking.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Cool I guess, but honestly a new VR headset is for me personally the least exciting out of all possible Valve hardware announcements. Where's my Steam Controller 2.0 and Steam Portable, Valve? Huh? Huh?

Reactions: crimsonheadGCN
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Cool I guess, but honestly a new VR headset is for me personally the least exciting out of all possible Valve hardware announcements. Where's my Steam Controller 2.0 and Steam Portable, Valve? Huh? Huh?
yeah ... same :(

Reactions: Alexandros

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
i bet those are passthrough cameras and not used for tracking.
The shape in the smaller image implied to me that there were at least 4. Seeing the large one used as thread banner here it seems there's only 2 after all, and none angled. So that's definitely not enough for good quality inside out tracking and I don't think Valve would give a less than great implementation. You're right.

I guess lighthouse tracking is less hassle than Oculus trackers, the base stations just need power, not to be connected to the PC at all. So it's easy to set it up for room scale which is something Valve's tech gave Vive since day 1, when Oculus had to wait until they got the Touch out and recommended people buy a 3rd camera sensor. So it's not a huge drawback to have the base stations compared to the new inside out tracking sets. Oculus definitely had to move away from the camera sensors and usb connections and all that entailed despite inside out tracking drawbacks but lighthouse is much more elegant.

Maybe it still limits how cheap they can go with it though. I mean, I'm sure the base unit won't be the most fancy and highest resolution set around to rival Pimax 8K, but a solid enough problem-free HMD with the knuckles controllers and lighthouse 2.0 tracking or whatever for a GREAT price should do wonders for VR!

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, if I had to guess I don't think Index will be the only hardware we will see from Valve in the coming years, I can see them exploring more things but step by step, right now this announcement makes me SO HAPPY that can't wait to see it in action, if the knuckles means something is that Valve with time can do STUNNING stuff.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Very much looking forward to these, if they can keep the price in my budget I'll be switching from Oculus Rift to this.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
May 2019 is perhaps when pre-orders open and an actual release date gets announced, and they clarify what is coming. I'm guessing release won't be out till Summer - tying into the Client Overhaul, potentially together with BPM and SteamVR overhauls

Could be September...

Trover is out June 4th, That's a week before E3. Could happen around then or some point not too far after
It has a curious mention of "Switch between TV, monitor or VR headset displays* whenever you want."

Maybe thing happen earlier than we think...
I'm just throwing shit at the wall at this point :ROFLMAO:

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I can't afford it, but I hope those two cameras mean it has inside out tracking (or uses it for something :D ) because that would benefit WMR support on other games.