News Valve is developing their own version of "Dota Auto Chess"

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Dota Auto Chess | Dota 2

So in February we flew the Drodo team over from China to chat about the future of Dota Auto Chess, and to see if they’d want to collaborate directly with us (this was also during one of the worst weeks of snow we’ve had in years, sorry about that, Drodo). We had great conversations, but we both came to the conclusion that Valve and Drodo could not work directly with each other for a variety of reasons. We ended up agreeing that we’ll each build our own stand-alone version of the game, and support each other to the fullest.

Drodo has been working on their own, non-Dota mobile game and the beta is out now. We’ve worked with them to help the existing DAC mod players migrate their account progress over to their new game. It looks pretty cool so far, we encourage you to go check it out.

As for us, with Drodo’s blessing, a group of people here at Valve are currently working on a standalone Dota version. We’ll share more information about this soon.
That's really cool that both Valve and Drodo will support each other despite being competitors.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
That's really cool that both Valve and Drodo will support each other despite being competitors.
Well, Valve kinda has to or they'll look like assholes who steal ideas from their community. I remember there were some people who were upset at Valve for taking the Dota name even after it was revealed they had hired Icefrog (also Eul supporting them vs Riot/Blizzard).
As for Drodo, they didn't have to, although I'm sure their success and ability to create a standalone mobile version is partly due to Dota 2's engine/tools/community.

Either way, it's nice for sure, better than being at each others' throats like Pendragon back in the day.

Reactions: lashman

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I haven't played Auto Chess yet, but it looks fun.

It's always better in these cases when the creator can contribute directly, but I'm glad they got their blessing regardless.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Well, Valve kinda has to or they'll look like assholes who steal ideas from their community.
I think that's kind of unfair, when a significant part of Valves success has been taking fan projects and bringing them in house; TFC, Alien Swarm, CS, DoD etc.
They've also never tried to exercise any kind of "underlying IP" ownership claims for stuff built, unlike Blizzard did with DOTA.

I suspect the reasons for this 'working together but seperate' deal is due to Chinese laws about foreign investment, rather than 'trying to play the good guy' or whatever.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I suspect the reasons for this 'working together but seperate' deal is due to Chinese laws about foreign investment, rather than 'trying to play the good guy' or whatever.
pretty sure that's the case, yes

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
I think that's kind of unfair, when a significant part of Valves success has been taking fan projects and bringing them in house; TFC, Alien Swarm, CS, DoD etc.
They've also never tried to exercise any kind of "underlying IP" ownership claims for stuff built, unlike Blizzard did with DOTA.

Sure, but usually it's from outright hiring the people working on the mods (Team Fortress which was actually a Quake mod, Counter-Strike) or working on a concept they find interesting (Portal was Narbacular Drop by a group of DigiPen students). I'm sure they tried to do the same with the guys working on Dota Auto Chess, which is why they flew them over to Valve HQ in the first place, but were unable to - my guess is either due to the standalone Chinese Mobile Auto Chess deal having already been signed, or cultural differences, I don't think Valve considered investment at all since they seem to prefer outright buying teams/studios and keeping things inhouse.
As for Blizzard using muscle, it's kinda understandable that they would want to prevent companies from profiting off their community's creations, and they did settle with Valve out of court with Valve being allowed to keep the trademark (and whatever parts of the IP were original).