News Valve - Positive "Review Bombs"

Chairmanchuck

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Valve published a quite long article about how to deal with positive "review bombs":

Steam Blog :: Positive "Review Bombs"

It is about the positive reviews that appeared on Steam after Ubisoft gave away AC:Unity for free on uPlay and whether those reviews should be counted as reviews or be excluded with their new "review bomb" policy.
TL;DR: Valve decided that they will not exclude those reviews. Reasons are listed in the article. But the article ends with an invitation to discuss how to deal with it.

Valve also talks about how important reviews are for the sales of a game:

A Mixed game receives over 500% more boost than a game in Mostly Negative. That might seem scary, but we're still talking about a boost that's small relative to many other store factors, and it's the minority case - 71.7% of titles on the Store are Mixed or above.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I really like reading that stuff.
I also appreciate the extra insight into how reviews feed into visibility and how they approach visibility in general.

Reactions: lashman

FreakOrama

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
stitch.games
Going to read it in a bit, but my current thought-process is:

If they're excluding negative review-bombing that are deemed "off-topic" to the game specifically, then positive review-bombing that is "off-topic" should also be excluded from the review score.

Ex: Positive review bombing of AC:Unity, which is a result of their good-will move towards that IRL incident, should also be excluded from the review score.