Rumour Valve working on Loyalty awards/reward point System for STEAM

AshenOne

Dec 22, 2018

If the game discount part is true then it has been a loooong time coming. I also hope that STEAM users get points or steam credit for 100%ing games too along with ofc a much harder protection against achievement managers..

Reactions: Dandy and lashman

Deleted member 113

If they are to reward people, I wish it would be those who buy games on the store, and not who posts what on their forums, which is what these appear to be.
The way this appears to be going is similar to a social media-like popularity contest. Get some likes, or some laughs, and earn discounts and stuff.

I really don't understand it. A lot of stores have loyalty discounts and similar stuff, to reward customers.
The closest Valve recently had was those points during sales, but they rewarded purchases during these sales (meaning, discounted purchases), while not granting anything to the people who bought the games non-discounted, before the sales began.
That really doesn't make a lot of sense.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The closest Valve recently had was those points during sales, but they rewarded purchases during these sales (meaning, discounted purchases), while not granting anything to the people who bought the game non-discounted, before the sale began.
That really doesn't make a lot of sense.
yeah, that sucked ... "oh, you bought $500 worth of games 2 months ago? well tough luck!"

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Maybe a bit of an unpopular opinion with some steam collectors, but the only rewards I'm interested in are steam wallet credits or discounts on purchases (like I get with uplay points).
I'd also take a month to a subscription service or a free DLC, if must be.

All the rest like steam levels, badges, cards, chat emojis, tokens, special messages, banners, showcase items etc. can rot in social media hell where they originated. I'm not interested nor motivated.

:wd_fight:

šŸ˜‰

Deleted member 113

ISee Not really an unpopular opinion. ;)

That's what I would like to get as well: discount codes, wallet credits, anything I can use to save some money.

That's what most stores do. For example, they award you a few points for each purchase, and after you reach a certain number of points, you can trade those for a credit, that you can use in a future purchase.

Other stores do something like award you about ā‚¬1 in points for each ā‚¬10 or so you buy, BUT, they don't award you points on sales (meaning, you would only accumulate points for purchases done outside of the big sales).

There's plenty they can do, that doesn't involve "likes" and those silly reactions listed on that tweet.

OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Dec 22, 2018
Maybe a bit of an unpopular opinion with some steam collectors, but the only rewards I'm interested in are steam wallet credits or discounts on purchases (like I get with uplay points).
I'd also take a month to a subscription service or a free DLC, if must be.

All the rest like steam levels, badges, cards, chat emojis, tokens, special messages, banners, showcase items etc. can rot in social media hell where they originated. I'm not interested nor motivated.

:wd_fight:

šŸ˜‰
I mean its not like its an unpopular opinion but the same time you attacking muh trading cards, badges emojis!!!

but yeah I think these little things are what makes investing into steam fun but at the same time I want things like steam wallet credit and stuff to make it actually worthwhile staying in the STEAM Ecosystem.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
redeeming points for badge levels
If true, gem price is going to surge!
Money and cosmetics can work together: you can earn big discounts by milking anime collectors with the right profile backgrounds, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Money and cosmetics can work together: you can earn big discounts by milking anime collectors with the right profile backgrounds, etc.
You can also milk people by selling randomized lootboxes with skins and "colors".
But I'm just no interested in that kind of stuff and I'd be a bit disappointed if that's all they have in mind.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
But I'm just no interested in that kind of stuff and I'd be a bit disappointed if that's all they have in mind.
I meant people like you and me can earn money by milking people who are into cosmetics. For instance, I managed to sell this:

That is what we already do when we sell trading cards. Anime people pay for our discounts.
It is a complex process, and I hear you that you would rather have straightforward discounts, but still, it is not too bad.

Reactions: Dandy and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I meant people like you and me can earn money by milking people who are into cosmetics. For instance, I managed to sell this:
lol, apparently I'm not even smart enough to understand the concept on my first explanation.

But now I do, thanks.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I donā€™t have the patience to monitor trading markets and craft the right boosters, so simplified discounts for plebs like me are welcome šŸ™ƒ

Reactions: Dandy and ISee

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I donā€™t have the patience to monitor trading markets and craft the right boosters, so simplified discounts for plebs like me are welcome šŸ™ƒ
To be frank, it is not worth the time investment. I got into it as a side project because I am too curious, but I don't advise anyone to do it.

Reactions: ISee and beep boop

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
I like the idea in general, but the discounts need to be rather big to be making a dent in my buying behavior. Probably to a degree that's neither feasible for Steam or the developers/publishers. But I'm still curious what Valve manages to come up with to gamify shopping on their platform :)

Chaosblade

Apr 21, 2020
Makes sense to me that they would just take the reward system they already use during Steam Sale events and make them a permanent fixture. Gives people a reason to buy from directly from Steam instead of authorized third parties that often have lower prices. Also good because the approach doesn't kneecap the third party sellers, it just gives buyers a choice - lower price right now vs Steam rewards.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I'll believe it when I see it, which is probably never.

Valve isn't our buddy, its a private multinational corp. who probably doesn't need to do anything atm to record some pretty serious profits.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
They already have a rewards system of sorts during Steam sales, where you receive cards per currency used that increase your Steam level when made into badges or lately points that can be used for various beneficial things. It seems logical that they would expand this system beyond specific promotions.

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
They already have a rewards system of sorts during Steam sales, where you receive cards per currency used that increase your Steam level when made into badges or lately points that can be used for various beneficial things. It seems logical that they would expand this system beyond specific promotions.
Does it though|? This kinda feels like the first step to spinning Steam off into its own company.

Reactions: Stevey