|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I played the heck out of DJ Max Portable on the PSP back in the day. Sadly I think the Steam version of DJMax is broken on Linux due to some weird anti-cheat. This will be a nice substitute.

Not unexpected, but still disappointing. If there is a silver lining, EZ2ON and DJMax use the same anti-cheat (XIGNCODE3) and if EZ2ON is working on SD, maybe DJMax can be updated to be compatible too.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Not unexpected, but still disappointing. If there is a silver lining, EZ2ON and DJMax use the same anti-cheat (XIGNCODE3) and if EZ2ON is working on SD, maybe DJMax can be updated to be compatible too.
I can only hope that the Deck is successful and grows a large userbase that will be vocal about this Anticheat nonsense.
Not sure what DJMax uses but for EAC and Battleye there should be no excuse anymore

Edit: oh sorry you mentioned which Anticheat is used, my bad

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
So far things are looking great, last night we had a new verification wave and, while there's always 1 unsupported, the rest were both either verified or playable.

What's the difference between verified and playable?

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
And there we have the real reason they won't be releasing a Linux or Steam Deck specific version of Fortnite. It never takes long for the mask to slip with Sweeney.

That 20-30% pays for stuff like Steam Deck and all the features and support his own store doesn't have. Customers like Steam and Valve continues to invest in their platform because of it.

Plus it's rich for Sweeney to moan about Valve taking a reasonable cut for using their platform and implying it's somehow extortionate when it's been strongly implied Epic ripped off PUBG's gameplay while "supporting" them to get the game working on UE4 and made billions from it. Not to mention all the (predominantly black) people they've culturally appropriated dances from (and not paid a penny for), and the never ending attrition of development staff in the Fortnite sweatshop.

Sweeney always goes on about fair cut this and fair cut that and portrays himself as a David vs the Goliath of [insert his next target here], yet his company is a behemoth of exploitation and not giving the little person their fair share. He's a truly awful, greedy man.

I don't think of 20-30% as "reasonable." I think of it as "industry standard. I think it's an important, objective distinction to make. In business, "reasonable" in terms of margins/profit is a moving target.

Besides that, I don't disagree.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don't think of 20-30% as "reasonable." I think of it as "industry standard. I think it's an important, objective distinction to make. In business, "reasonable" in terms of margins/profit is a moving target.

Besides that, I don't disagree.
I don't disagree, and we may both end up splitting hairs here, but when I say reasonable, I'm saying it entirely from my perspective as a customer in terms of what that 30% is paying for. I am obviously not objective as a customer so I think calling it reasonable is a fair thing to say from my perspective.

But there's also a little bit of experience there too. I remember when developers and publishers were praising Steam for only taking 30%. This was back when most games were boxed products in a shop and a developer/publisher's margin was far smaller than it is on Steam, and everyone thought they were getting away like bandits. So, you know, I think greed is a strong motivator here.

With that in mind, plenty of publishers and developers could get 100% of the cut from a game's sales and they'd moan it's not 110%.

So I consider it reasonable to want 30% of the money I'm paying for the game to make my experience buying, playing and accessing games better versus it disappearing into a publisher's coffers. Epic said they could do the same on 12% and given their client is an utter shitshow that has been categorically disproven.

That 30% has got me:
  • refunds
  • gift cards
  • BPM
  • SteamInput
  • communities
  • trading cards
  • a polished and functional client, which apparently is hard going by the state everyone else's
  • and Steam Deck.

Very reasonable in my mind.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I don't disagree, and we may both end up splitting hairs here, but when I say reasonable, I'm saying it entirely from my perspective as a customer in terms of what that 30% is paying for. I am obviously not objective as a customer so I think calling it reasonable is a fair thing to say from my perspective.

But there's also a little bit of experience there too. I remember when developers and publishers were praising Steam for only taking 30%. This was back when most games were boxed products in a shop and a developer/publisher's margin was far smaller than it is on Steam, and everyone thought they were getting away like bandits. So, you know, I think greed is a strong motivator here.

With that in mind, plenty of publishers and developers could get 100% of the cut from a game's sales and they'd moan it's not 110%.

So I consider it reasonable to want 30% of the money I'm paying for the game to make my experience buying, playing and accessing games better versus it disappearing into a publisher's coffers. Epic said they could do the same on 12% and given their client is an utter shitshow that has been categorically disproven.

That 30% has got me:
  • refunds
  • gift cards
  • BPM
  • SteamInput
  • communities
  • trading cards
  • a polished and functional client, which apparently is hard going by the state everyone else's
  • and Steam Deck.

Of late, my thoughts towards this have shifted closer to what Phoenix RISING said. Perhaps this analogy makes sense. Epic reps and people who care less about a feature-rich service will say that Steam also didn't have X, Y, Z when it launched, so it isn't fair to criticise EGS now for not having them yet either -- to which the sensible response is that it's now around 15 years later and standards and expectations have changed, right?

Similarly, I think at the scale Steam was operating back in the early 2000s and given its place in the PC gaming market, the 30% was sensible. Now, in 2022, looking at what Steam's position is like, where PC gaming is, I think Valve could realistically make some concessions for the benefit of the PC gaming landscape (especially in the area of low revenue / indie / debut games) and still do exceedingly well. Likely more than enough to have their entire staff well-paid, have plenty left over for R&D and have room to grow further. I think this is also what Phoenix Rising hinted at, but I don't want to put words in their mouth.

I don't think 12% is what they should be aiming for per se, but to begin with I feel like they could easily do something akin to the App Store (!) by taking a lower % off the first $X amount in sales (e..g. $1,000,0000), which would benefit small studios a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Slightly better than what Valve says (though it's reallllly stretching how playable this is)

I got it to 8.34h or 500 minutes now.

Doing incredible work. Really glad that Valve gave you review units.

Personally I just need just 2-3 hours of battery life for my daily commute. Anything that requires longer will just be attached to my external battery bank.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
A working WMA decoder would go a big way of making all games playable on Deck (aside from anti-cheat shenanigans)
Indeed. Great news! Now if we can please get devs to do the "immense effort" to flip the switch of Anti-Cheat working on Linux. Looking at you, Gears of War 5 and Outriders and your Anti-Cheat in bloody singleplayer modes.

as in Valves Plagman? Either way, welcome indeed!

Reason: typo
Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Apropos of nothing something, do account verification emails work as expected? I imagine the same issue that was with the password reminder emails would have made new account verification emails broken as well. But since Phawx got that sorted, all other emails should work just fine too, right?
My hot dog stand dream will come true.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Phawx videos will come in handy to create profiles for specific games and genres :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: Ge0force

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
Saw the below image from reddit:

Top Switch, bottom Steam Deck (in case it wasn't obvious).

Looks like a Steam Deck v2 or v3 with OLED screen or whatever QLED etc is the rage will be a nice upgrade down the road.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think the person who took that photo said the it is more useful as a size comparison with the Switch having the third party grip joy-con on it rather than a useful screen comparison due to the lighting in the room when they took it.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

That 30% has got me:
  • refunds
  • gift cards
  • BPM
  • SteamInput
  • communities
  • trading cards
  • and Steam Deck.

Yes, I agree. We are so far removed from mortar and box stores that we forget the cost savings of companies that went digital.

For the longest time, digital games on consoles made me mad because they are NEVER cheaper than hard copy. Companies just pocket the money they would have had to pay to shelf a physical copy at Wal-Mart.

Reactions: C-Dub

Vitunzen

Feb 4, 2022
Saw the below image from reddit:

Top Switch, bottom Steam Deck (in case it wasn't obvious).

Looks like a Steam Deck v2 or v3 with OLED screen or whatever QLED etc is the rage will be a nice upgrade down the road.
I think the person who took that photo said the it is more useful as a size comparison with the Switch having the third party grip joy-con on it rather than a useful screen comparison due to the lighting in the room when they took it.
Here's the comment from the author of the picture: Steam Deck: Valve Handheld Gaming PC revealed Valve - Tech

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Not sure if this was known or not, but I reached out to Valve and was told that Steam funds can be used towards the purchase of the Steam Deck.

I assumed this would be the case, but someone on Reddit said Steam funds couldn’t be used towards the Index - and that it might be the same case for the Deck.

Anyways I’ve decided I no longer want a PS5, so I’m using the credit I received at GameStop from my PS4 Pro, and getting Steam gift cards to use on the Deck. Really getting hyped for it now.

• Gib
Reactions: Le Pertti

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Not sure if this was known or not, but I reached out to Valve and was told that Steam funds can be used towards the purchase of the Steam Deck.

I assumed this would be the case, but someone on Reddit said Steam funds couldn’t be used towards the Index - and that it might be the same case for the Deck.

Anyways I’ve decided I no longer want a PS5, so I’m using the credit I received at GameStop from my PS4 Pro, and getting Steam gift cards to use on the Deck. Really getting hyped for it now.
Index can be purchased with wallet, but myth it can't be is still living strong in reddit.
But it's not true.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Planning on making a big deposit to Steam Wallet for my Deck purchase next month too. Since I'm Q2, I guess I won't have to pay before April at the earliest, so it should be fine to wait until March.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
thatguphawx the mad sciebtist
That was posted already on this same page. But I do wonder if passive cooling really works for the Deck given its negative pressure cooling system. The battery in particular seemed to get really hot in the testing done by GamerNexus.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
That was posted already on this same page. But I do wonder if passive cooling really works for the Deck given its negative pressure cooling system. The battery in particular seemed to get really hot in the testing done by GamerNexus.
Heat is directly related to power use. If you're running the battery over 9 hours it's going to generate way way less heat than running it over 2 hours, plus everything is downclocked to all hell, still, I doubt the fan running at the lowest setting would strain it too much, maybe an hour of that 9 hours? Maybe much less, not sure.

Do we even know if the system has a silent mode where when it's not being used for anything intensive the fan stops or runs slower? I'd imagine the fan speed is variable, but I wonder if the lower end of that range is off or just slower.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think the Gamersnexus test you are referring to was the one where they were charging the battery?

When it's discharging at the very moderate rate of <5W the temperature probably isn't an issue. (I still wouldn't do it since the fan at low speed is really quiet and at <5W total system power it won't ever spin up)

Reactions: Mivey

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Where can I check what games are verified for the deck? Is there a website somewhere with that info or do I need to data mine steamdb?

Reactions: Li Kao

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
Where can I check what games are verified for the deck? Is there a website somewhere with that info or do I need to data mine steamdb?
On SteamDB select instant search and on platform select Deck verified, that is the quickest way and no need to datamine anything. Or click here for link with all Deck games, verified, playable, unsupported.

Reactions: lashman