|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
About tomorrow’s onslaught:

I’ve heard the best advice is to load the steam credit necessary to pay for this onto your account in advance, right?

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands

I’ve heard the best advice is to load the steam credit necessary to pay for this onto your account in advance, right?
Yes, last time I didnt do that the payment process went titsup. Buying stuff was actually suspended on my account by Steam for 24 hours because of too many failed transactions.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019

Yes. Note that wallet currency can only be added in batches of max 100 euros each time and banks sometimes restrict your account if you do repeated transfers of semi high amounts. So, have your money transferred well in advance

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yes. Note that wallet currency can only be added in batches of max 100 euros each time and banks sometimes restrict your account if you do repeated transfers of semi high amounts. So, have your money transferred well in advance
Is it still doable ? As you say it can poses problem with the bank. We are talking 6x100 payments.
I’m not sure what to do.

Reactions: d00d3n

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, I’ll need to think about how I do this. It used to be that I could buy credit from GAME, but they’ve closed down so I’m kind of out of luck there.

I may just change my payment method (I’ve got 4 cards) and spread it that way.

Then obviously I run the risk of Steam getting suspicious because I’m using several payment providers.

Reactions: Li Kao and d00d3n

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Is it still doable ? As you say it can poses problem with the bank. We are talking 6x100 payments.
I’m not sure what to do.
Sure, it is doable today. If you get an error massage after a couple of transfers, wait for 20-60 minutes and try agan.

If you delay and try to do the full amount an hour before release time you may have issues.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sure, it is doable today. If you get an error massage after a couple of transfers, wait for 20-60 minutes and try agan.

If you delay and try to do the full amount an hour before release time you may have issues.
Couldn’t you also push the total on Paypal and then do the 6x operations from there ?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Couldn’t you also push the total on Paypal and then do the 6x operations from there ?
If it were 1x €600 transaction, that probably has less chance of being flagged by your bank (other than the usual ‘are you sure?’ authentication) - but whether PayPal would flag 6x€100 Steam purchases as suspicious, who knows?

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I’m not sure what to do.
Yeah, I’ll need to think about how I do this. It used to be that I could buy credit from GAME, but they’ve closed down so I’m kind of out of luck there.

I may just change my payment method (I’ve got 4 cards) and spread it that way.

Then obviously I run the risk of Steam getting suspicious because I’m using several payment providers.
I don't know if it's only possible in US, but on Steam website (not client), using Augmented Steam, I had the option to add any multiple-of-$5 amount, so I added $600 in one go.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Godspeed to anyone purchasing an OLED, in about an hour. If this looks anything like it did two years ago for the Steam Deck then you'll need all the luck in the world to get the first batch of it.
EDIT:
Oh, darn it, sorry for the mild shock. Got the date wrong :notlikethisblob:

Last edited:
  • Doubt

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Godspeed to anyone purchasing an OLED, in about an hour. If this looks anything like it did two years ago for the Steam Deck then you'll need all the luck in the world to get the first batch of it.
In about one hour ? :cold-sweat:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Aside from the inevitable digital rush screwing me over like last time, my biggest problem is I still don't know if I want etched glass or not. I have it on the LED model and it looks fine but I suspect OLED will be a bigger difference

Reactions: ExistentialThought

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
You’re a day early.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
That may work if direct transfers from your bank to Steam do not work, I guess, but I would try directly from your bank first
I don't know if it's only possible in US, but on Steam website (not client), using Augmented Steam, I had the option to add any multiple-of-$5 amount, so I added $600 in one go.
Interesting, this option is more than I know. In Steam clients in Windows and OSX, and the Steam iOS app, the only option was batches of 100 euro max

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
That may work if direct transfers from your bank to Steam do not work, I guess, but I would try directly from your bank first

Interesting, this option is more than I know. In Steam clients in Windows and OSX, and the Steam iOS app, the only option was batches of 100 euro max
Yea to be clear, it is NOT an option in the Steam client for me either. But clearly on the backend somewhere they support it, and Augmented Steam puts it in the front end.

I do like 99% of my Steam shopping / browsing on the website since Augmented Steam makes it so much easier, so that's why I checked for this too.

Reactions: d00d3n

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I think I won’t top up my wallet and pay via paypal, like I always do. I hope those won’t be famous last words, but the possibility of missing the first batch and have 600e sit in the wallet for an unknown duration is not exciting me.

At least I won’t be competing with the LE customers, that saves some of the competition.

Reactions: d00d3n and C-Dub

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I didn't really have any lag or anything but in my cart it says I have to join a wait list before I can purchase. But can't see a wait list. So either they sold out in literally 5 seconds or it's buggy

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."
What a complete train wreck release as expected from Steam. All money transferred to the Steam wallet beforehand. Failing to buy in web browser, ios app and from my previous Steam deck

Last edited:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Did anyone else get the "too many attempts" thing or am I just that hated? That's literally the same thing that blocked me on the initial launch. I just was manually hitting refresh periodically so there's no way I was doing it as much as some other people mashing keyboards or whatever

• This!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Did anyone else get the "too many attempts" thing or am I just that hated? That's literally the same thing that blocked me on the initial launch. I just was manually hitting refresh periodically so there's no way I was doing it as much as some other people mashing keyboards or whatever
Same.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I did not get that. Just variations on "problems processing payment" and "out of stock"

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Surprised at the "3 to 5 business days", that's better than the 1-2 weeks that was the norm over the last months for the regular model. I sure didn't expect Valve to improve delivery times after the OLED came live. Of course this assumes those predictions actually hold and can be met

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I feel your pain, this was me 2 years ago.

Needed to wait about 2 hours before I was able to make my purchase.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
That sucks. I really don't get it. I only even got to the payment screen like... twice? Mostly was just sitting there refreshing trying to get to the address section. It feels like every time Steam gets slammed and I try to do anything they lock my account. One time during a random hiccup on a sale day they wouldn't let me buy a game for like 4 days after trying 1 time.

Edit: reloading the page (on Steam client) and looks like they might have reset the lockouts? At least mine suddenly went through with no issue all the way through

• Gib
Reactions: C-Dub

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The OLED models are listed as out of stock in Sweden (and probably the whole EU) now

Actually, now listed as delivery within 3-5 business days again when I reloaded the page

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
What a shit show but managed to get the 1TB Limited edition after 35 minutes. At least with sneaker releases, the pain happens all at once and then that’s it.

• Gib
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Showing as still in stock in the UK - any late comers want to grab one on a whim?

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I showed up an hour late (US) and had no issues buying a 1TB. Still says 3-5 business days. Wasn't really planning to get one, but when they were still available, eh, why not?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I got the "looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours" so I guess I'm out of luck. It's really shitty how they track failed transactions on their end for that.
I got that the last time, so this time around, after getting the retry error 5 times or so (each with a minute in between) I went away and played a game for a bit (well, I cursed Valve and then went away and played a game for a bit), and when I tried 15 minutes later it worked.

It's really stupid that they still haven't fixed that. The one big positive compared to 2 years ago is that, at least for my region, the shipping estimate only went up to "6-10 Business Days" so far, so being delayed in ordering doesn't have nearly as much of an impact as it did before.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Managed to get the Limited Edition.

I told myself I would hold off until March or so unless I managed to snag the LE. So of course in a dog catching the car moment, I actually managed to snatch one. It is bittersweet since I was not anticipating this expense right now, I wish they would have given a few more weeks headsup :ripblob:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
The OLED models except LE in US are still listed as 3-5 days so they really do seem to have a much bigger stock. LE still can buy but shows 2-4 weeks.

I ended up going for the glossy 512GB, if I need anti-glare I can add a protector. I would have liked the LE / other bonuses but eh, glossy screen OLED seems correct

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
I have a strange feeling the LE's limit is time, not actual available stock.

The way shipping times was set back after the first ten or so minutes would suggest that they're making more to meet order volume in a certain timespan instead of a "First Come First Serve" basis.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I have a strange feeling the LE's limit is time, not actual available stock.

The way shipping times was set back after the first ten or so minutes would suggest that they're making more to meet order volume in a certain timespan instead of a "First Come First Serve" basis.
This would also align with them saying its an experiment. Which barring figuring out the costs of an offshoot color or how to incorporate it into a manufacturing process, I do not really know what they else they are testing. Folks clearly like color options.

They absolutely could be gauging how big that interest is in comparison to other models.

Reactions: lashman