|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Still happy with my LCD deck. Love this thing. It was my entry point to PC gaming. Before I had a switch and I was certain I would never sell it but when the Steam Deck came out I never used my switch again and eventually sold it.
How was your experience with the Steam Deck as a console gamer? Anything in particular that gave you trouble?

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

The Dear Leader

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Had to put off my Steamdeck purchase because my car hates me but I've landed on getting a 512GB OLED model when I save up to get it, already got a screen protector and 512GB SD card and a long list of games I want to play on there! Super excited to get it and tinker with it, been binging videos for the last couple weeks lol.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Had to put off my Steamdeck purchase because my car hates me but I've landed on getting a 512GB OLED model when I save up to get it, already got a screen protector and 512GB SD card and a long list of games I want to play on there! Super excited to get it and tinker with it, been binging videos for the last couple weeks lol.
Steam Deck is a very interesting device because it is simultaneously appealing to both tinkerers and those who want a simple device to game on. I hope Valve can sort out worldwide distribution and keep a low price for Steam Deck 2 as it has a real chance at becoming a mainstream hit.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’m hoping they expand the Deck concept to other form factors.

The handheld system is definitely the obvious first option, but I’d be interested in seeing other form factors.

A small desktop/under the TV console?

A tablet with kickstand and controller?

A server that lives headless on your network and streams to whatever screen you have?

I think there’s merit in looking into each of these kinds of device.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’m hoping they expand the Deck concept to other form factors.

The handheld system is definitely the obvious first option, but I’d be interested in seeing other form factors.

A small desktop/under the TV console?

A tablet with kickstand and controller?

A server that lives headless on your network and streams to whatever screen you have?

I think there’s merit in looking into each of these kinds of device.
I'm quite hyped for this, this with SteamOS would be lovely.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm quite hyped for this, this with SteamOS would be lovely.

Once Valve releases SteamOS as a normal Linux distro, you could just simply install it on whatever hardware you want.
I suppose more focus needs to be put on hardware support for other vendors, beyond just AMD CPUs and GPUs. What I'd also like to see is allowing other desktop environments beyond KDE, like GNOME.

The Dear Leader

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Steam Deck is a very interesting device because it is simultaneously appealing to both tinkerers and those who want a simple device to game on. I hope Valve can sort out worldwide distribution and keep a low price for Steam Deck 2 as it has a real chance at becoming a mainstream hit.
Exactly, already psyching myself up to do a shell replacement to match my transparent purple PS5, will probably mess around with a Windows partition and all that as well, very exciting stuff.

LionelInoe

Linux Advocate
Jul 13, 2022
It's worth considering that Bazzite exists as a SteamOS alternative that can be installed on some hardware. It's definitely in buyer (or I guess try-er) beware territory as there might be edge cases and hardware that cause problems.

I've been using it on my Steam Deck so far as an alternative and it's been pretty nice to have more options for the desktop (I'm using Gnome desktop instead of KDE, but both are available. KDE is obviously a little less funky as valve had designed everything around that so far.) I'm hoping to dive into development of it at some point as well.