|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Short lunch break impressions:
GLS is the worst.
The screen is fine, the fan noise while idling (only downloading games) is not.
In-Game you don't hear it though, the speakers are amazing.
The suspend/resume works just as advertised. But Elden Ring will kick you to the start screen if you were playing online. Medium Settings is a locked 30 fps through Gamescope.
First game was Mark of the Ninja Remastered. Still good!

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
That's why it's also a good idea to disable downloading in the background on Deck because it will decrease the performance of the currently playing game.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Very early report, as my first session was light use on purpose, just getting accustomed with SteamOS and playing a verified game.

I'm not seduced. There are obvious downsides that may or may not get patched / I may or may not get used to.
  • The controls pre-update were buggy. Post-update they are good enough and do the job.
  • The interface, I guess it's adequate too. With the big caveat that it's adequate for a Steam user. While it's solid, I'm not sure it's general consumer easy. First time Steam user could have issues, but I guess updates and the global unavailability of the Deck will solve that.
  • Fan noise ? I dreaded it, turns out that for the time being I don't care that much. They have a pitch (?) I even like, an electronic thing working in the background vibe. It sure could be another story for your significant other, though.
  • No, my main issue for now are the controls. I live in fear of dropping the deck and there is a general awkwardness to handling the Deck to me, two things I really hope will be solved with use. There is both the feeling that there are too many inputs on this thing, that you may push the wrong input while using another, because it's cramped... and the feeling that some elements are too far appart ? I mean, the DPAD sure is a little on the far side, it's not ideal. But then again there were so many inputs to fit in there.

Still have to go take a look on the linux side. Or plug the deck to the pc. You can do that with an adequate cable, right ? To copy things from your PC to the Deck (I'm thinking about emulation there).

• Oh, FFS, I should mention that even with all these misgivings, this is a mind-blowing piece of hardware and experience. Portable Steam library is as incredible as it sounds.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Still have to go take a look on the linux side. Or plug the deck to the pc. You can do that with an adequate cable, right ? To copy things from your PC to the Deck (I'm thinking about emulation there).
To connect mouse, keyboard and a monitor you will need some kind of Dock, as the Deck only comes with a USB-C port.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Li Kao

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
  • No, my main issue for now are the controls. I live in fear of dropping the deck and there is a general awkwardness to handling the Deck to me, two things I really hope will be solved with use. There is both the feeling that there are too many inputs on this thing, that you may push the wrong input while using another, because it's cramped... and the feeling that some elements are too far appart ? I mean, the DPAD sure is a little on the far side, it's not ideal. But then again there were so many inputs to fit in there.
I also own an Aya Neo. Both devices have nearly the same weight. The Neo is (for me) uncomfortable to hold over longer sessions, while the Deck you hold "wider" so I did not nearly feel it's weight the same way like I do in the Neo.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
To connect mouse, keyboard and a monitor you will need some kind of Dock, as the Deck only comes with a USB-C port.
Sure, but I meant plugging the deck to the pc for data management ? Like, copy roms for emulation.

I also own an Aya Neo. Both devices have nearly the same weight. The Neo is (for me) uncomfortable to hold over longer sessions, while the Deck you hold "wider" so I did not nearly feel it's weight the same way like I do in the Neo.
Unfortunately I also felt it was a little too heavy just lifting the thing above my belly while laying on the sofa. Forgot to mention that. But like a lot of my cons, I may get used to it, it's not horrible.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Sure, but I meant plugging the deck to the pc for data management ? Like, copy roms for emulation.
That's a bit more complex, it would require the port on the Deck to support not only host mode (the normal operation for PCs) but also act as a USB client. Setting up something like Dropbox or other services might be the simplest option.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
That's a bit more complex, it would require the port on the Deck to support not only host mode (the normal operation for PCs) but also act as a USB client. Setting up something like Dropbox or other services might be the simplest option.
Oh that's bad news. I mean, I could simply copy files on the SD card plugged to the desktop (if my Win11 recognized the damn thing), but the management of the main SSD is becoming nebulous to me now.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Or you could simply copy files over FTP or SMB. No need to connect any cables or juggle with SD Cards.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I really need to enter linux mode, all this is highly theoretical for now.

By the way two stupid questions :
  • Screenshot button is ?
  • How to enter linux mode ? (I think I read long press on the upper right menu button)

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I really need to enter linux mode, all this is highly theoretical for now.

By the way two stupid questions :
  • Screenshot button is ?
  • How to enter linux mode ? (I think I read long press on the upper right menu button)
1. I believe you can do screenshots with the Steam button + R.
2. Go to the Power menu and you should have the option to enter a desktop mode in there.

• Love

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I hate GLS - or at least how they provide information. You get something at 3 in the morning, then nothing for 24 hours, lol.
You and me in the same boat, quite strange, this has been the first time a package has behaved like this with GLS in my experience.

• Sad
Reactions: derFeef

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I hate GLS - or at least how they provide information. You get something at 3 in the morning, then nothing for 24 hours, lol.
GLS really are the worst. They rang the doorbell only once, by the time my elderly mother opened they were gone without leaving a notice where to pick up the package (found the place on the web tracker). That shop was kinda sketchy too, they only wanted my house number, did not even ask for my name or street.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Just something I was wondering about... Is there a way to easily switch between Steam and a non-Steam program like Discord for instance (like Alt-Tabbing)? Or do you have to go into Desktop mode?

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
GLS really are the worst. They rang the doorbell only once, by the time my elderly mother opened they were gone without leaving a notice where to pick up the package (found the place on the web tracker). That shop was kinda sketchy too, they only wanted my house number, did not even ask for my name or street.
Woof. That's really bad. I mean these folks have a rough job for sure, but a little bit of care is not too much to ask I feel.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Just something I was wondering about... Is there a way to easily switch between Steam and a non-Steam program like Discord for instance (like Alt-Tabbing)? Or do you have to go into Desktop mode?
I just tested this.
You exit to Desktop mode. Install Discord over the Discover app (which is docked on the Taskbar). Open Steam Desktop, add Discord as non Steam game. Start the Deck mode back up. Now you can Discord via the Non-Steam tab in your library. Discord will stay opened when you start up a normal game. Hitting the "Steam" button and you can switch between the game and Discord.

Reactions: Arulan

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I just tested this.
You exit to Desktop mode. Install Discord over the Discover app (which is docked on the Taskbar). Open Steam Desktop, add Discord as non Steam game. Start the Deck mode back up. Now you can Discord via the Non-Steam tab in your library. Discord will stay opened when you start up a normal game. Hitting the "Steam" button and you can switch between the game and Discord.
Here is a video showing this. 9:24 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Reactions: Arulan

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Sorry that I am posting about my Deck shipment again - but this is too funny.
It was in Austria already, like 100km away from me in the parcel center.
30 Minutes ago it was checked in in Vienna, which is around 300km away from me, lol.
GLS.......

I am not sure how this logicstic center work, but it seems wrong.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Strange the audio not working in the newly decoded videos. I guess Valve won't mark it as Playable until all those bugs are gone. Would be strange to stop halfway.
Just a follow up to this:

I don't know why it isn't available on SteamOS yet, but I'm sure Valve will get it working at some point.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I don't know why it isn't available on SteamOS yet, but I'm sure Valve will get it working at some point.
I guess "unofficial Proton build" refers to the Proton-GE builds. Those have been able to perfectly play the videos for a long time, nothing new.

The problem is the video codec used . Valve cannot ship a product that has those codecs, without potentially breaching patents and having to pay Microsoft royalties. The unofficial build just includes open source implementations and thus ignores this issue. After all, it requires you to install some things on your own.
The solution Valve is going for is to essentially strip out those videos and have Proton replace with entirely different versions that use a different codec, with none of the patent issues. If there's audio bugs, then maybe there's something about this replacement process that isn't working yet.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019

The no audio problem in videos was fixed for Persona 4 in the official Proton Experimental build:

Perhaps they meant this with "unofficial Proton build". Or they used Proton-GE as Mivey stated.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Uh, wasn’t it unsupported ?
Yes, but check the pictures of that Ebay post, also, so far I have tested 4 unsupported games (FFIX, Digimon, Persona 4, Moon RPG) and all worked flawlessly without any tweaking, so yeah, unsupported doesn't mean it doesn't work, sometimes it's a bad rating from Valve