|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Mind you, you will get slower speeds this way. Went down from 80 MB/s to 35-40 MB/s for large files, might be even worse if you try to send a lot of small files.
Best to just zip them yo a big archive on PC, send that through Warpinator then unpack on Deck.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Well would you look at that

It doesn't work natively without bypassing the Anti-Cheat and I really don't want to throw Windows on this thing, so I went with the next-best option: Streaming.
Tried setting up Moonlight today and it works really well. Great IQ and I didn't notice any lag or delays. Pleasantly surprised.
Need to fiddle with the control setup a bit more to get comfortable (the game has Controller support, but I'm playing with mouse and keyboard on the Desktop and I don't want to switch everytime I switch device, and I also wanted to set up Gyro for aiming and stuff. Thankfully this thing has a billion inputs 😅 )

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It seems like at least a portion of folks who ordered last Thursday have been stuck in a shipping label created step with no other updates since Monday evening. I am stuck im this scenario myself. I assumed when orders came up, they had Decks in hand and ready to ship. Now I am not so sure. Honestly, I would have preferred waiting another day to order if it meant a little less of a delay in shipping since I need to know if I should be home or not to receive it.

Ahh well what do you do.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
There are a couple (at least), I tried to use the one with the most up to date stuff which I think was this: Steam Deck Calculator

Keep in mind, it was already wrong in my case (I can't imagine I'll get an email now, office hours are done)

Edit: Just ran it again (same algorithm etc.) and it now says June 13th for me, which is a full month later than their initial estimate. From what I've seen anecdotally, the EU guesses were quite accurate, so maybe something was off with the US one.

Sucks though because if I get it mid-June I'm pretty much going to miss out on the spring weather that I can endure being outdoors for. Was hoping to take it with me to some places. Going to have to wait until October likely with how hot it already is getting here in KC.
53 days if I did it correctly.

Feels like I'll be the last person I know....

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Anybody tried Diablo 2 Resurrected on the Deck? Because I saw a video of this game running in flawless 60 fps on medium settings, while I can't even reach 60 fps on lowest settings. Heck, I'm even losing frames when I cap the framerate to 30 fps.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Apparently my tracking updated sometime yesterday after having been in the "created label" step since Monday and I received my Steam Deck today. Though it has been a crazy week and I am not sure how much time I will play it until this weekend.

Only played about 5 minutes of Disco Elysium, which may or may not be the first game I playthrough on this. I had not played since the Final Cut update and the part of the game I am can apparently have audio stutters even on regular PC.

Otherwise the device itself is absolutely lovely. It feels oddly light for its size which is bizarre to say based on how heavy I assumed it would be based on specs. Controls feel pretty good, though I can see what folks mean about the STEAM/... buttons being mushy. Ergonomics are exceptionally good and sound is easily way, way above what I expected. Valve needs to make audio gear, seriously! Screen seems pretty decent, no complaints as of yet. My fan does not seem to have a whine from a quick check downloading a few updates/games, but after my checks I switched to the beta so who knows now. And I switched to 24hr time after updates, ignore the time format in the picture :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: Only real complaint is how long it takes to get things going between initial set-up, updates, downloads, format SD card, more updates, etc. I did not clock it, but it felt like 40ish-50ish+ minutes between it all, which feels a bit high for someone eager to just jump into the experience. That said, once set up I see this being quickly forgotten.

Yeah, pretty good first impressions overall.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Fuck my Deck got screwed after latest update. Don't update it guys.

Edit:
1. It seems the screen was just black after update reboot and fan was loudy as hell. I left it running like 5 minutes but nothing happened.
2. Tried to force shutdown and turn it on again but still same.
3. Booted it with volume buttons pressed to boot loader and there I was able to see the screen again whew. Selected SteamOS and then it started to extract the update and now I am in again.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Fuck my Deck got screwed after latest update. Don't update it guys.

Edit:
1. It seems the screen was just black after update reboot and fan was loudy as hell. I left it running like 5 minutes but nothing happened.
2. Tried to force shutdown and turn it on again but still same.
3. Booted it with volume buttons pressed to boot loader and there I was able to see the screen again whew. Selected SteamOS and then it started to extract the update and now I am in again.
latest beta you mean? It's things like this why I don't want to mess with beta software on a new device like this. Happy for everyone else to be beta testing for me, but I want my deck to just be reliable.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
latest beta you mean? It's things like this why I don't want to mess with beta software on a new device like this. Happy for everyone else to be beta testing for me, but I want my deck to just be reliable.
Yeah I have opted in to beta

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So cool surprise ! With the last update (?) Valve just killed right trackpad click in desktop mode, making it unusable.
I mean, touch still works if you hate yourself.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
So cool surprise ! With the last update (?) Valve just killed right trackpad click in desktop mode, making it unusable.
I mean, touch still works if you hate yourself.
Thought this was just me, I had to hold down the Steam button + R2 to right click anything lmao.

snipe_25

Mar 3, 2022
Yeah this beta update sounds like a disaster all around. If anyone is on the beta branch and hasn't updated yet, it sounds like it would be wise to hold off.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It is a beta, updates there are meant to be experimental and potentially detrimental.
Of course, reports of it bricking the OS are pretty bad. Valve should have better internal testing to avoid that kind of thing.

• This!
Reactions: LEANIJA

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Oh this was a new problem that started after updating to the latest version in the settings. I been on the beta since I got my deck and wasn't having this issue before.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The new fan curve seems to aim at 75 degrees. That's probably fine from a technical point of view, but my Deck is becoming really warm at the back and even the right side of the screen. I prefer the pre-update fan curve tbh.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The new fan curve seems to aim at 75 degrees. That's probably fine from a technical point of view, but my Deck is becoming really warm at the back and even the right side of the screen. I prefer the pre-update fan curve tbh.
They’re never going to satisfy everyone with these fan curve changes. It’ll either be too noisy or too hot.

Best to just let users decide what they’d prefer and include a sliding scale with a few preset verified fan curve options and let the customer test them and decide on a preference.

Reactions: LEANIJA

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
They reverted to the old - already pretty silent - fancurve.
I will always prefer silence over a few degrees hotter, you never put your fingers on the back when not using the grip buttons anyways.

Reactions: Ge0force

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I don't give a fuck about the temperature, as long as the plastic doesn't melt

the whine (even after RMA and updates) is still annoying, so less of it the better

the moment I can buy replacement fan I am doing it

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I don't give a fuck about the temperature, as long as the plastic doesn't melt

the whine (even after RMA and updates) is still annoying, so less of it the better

the moment I can buy replacement fan I am doing it
I would first wait for reports and reviews of those fans. I fixit now offers some, but we don't know how exactly they will sound, once installed.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I would first wait for reports and reviews of those fans. I fixit now offers some, but we don't know how exactly they will sound, once installed.
I thought the one they sell is the one that doesn't whine - that brand. But you are right of course it is good to be sure.

Seriously, I can comfortably play on steam deck only with headphones and cranked audio. If I play from speakers, I can hear the whine in my head even after steam deck is shut down. It fucks with me.

you still got the whine even after RMA? strange ... i gues bad luck
Yes, some of us get no whine at all, and others like the unlucky fucks such as me get two whiners in a row.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I got the whine, but only when the fans go full blast.
Which doesn't happen that often anymore even when playing 3D games.
On launch day the coil whining while downloading and filling up my 512gb model was excruciating.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
My Deck is pretty much silent at 9W and below, can be heard a bit (but nothing that would annoy you over time) at 9-12 W and anything above gets progressively worse.
That is with the 1st beta curve.
The new one was terrible. Sure, 8-9 W games had fan turned off but after half an hour Deck backside was so hot my hands were getting sweaty. And anything above 12 W was just fan going full speed at 7200 RPM, comparable to PS4 Pro on load.
I for one am happy Valve reverted the change.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Re: Fan Curve and whine
I never had whine so there is that. But I would really like valve to find a middle ground on the curve. Mine is silent for the longest time, too long IMO, gets really hot, then it’s full blast for several minutes. And even without whine, full blast is really not nice.
Ironically, before those curve change the fans were too often audible, but I never experienced full blast.

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
Well would you look at that

It doesn't work natively without bypassing the Anti-Cheat and I really don't want to throw Windows on this thing, so I went with the next-best option: Streaming.
Tried setting up Moonlight today and it works really well. Great IQ and I didn't notice any lag or delays. Pleasantly surprised.
Need to fiddle with the control setup a bit more to get comfortable (the game has Controller support, but I'm playing with mouse and keyboard on the Desktop and I don't want to switch everytime I switch device, and I also wanted to set up Gyro for aiming and stuff. Thankfully this thing has a billion inputs 😅 )
If you want to use Steam's streaming, run Steam as administrator on host computer to get Steam overlay working. That's how I play it \o/

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How would I go about setting up The Sinking City (standalone gamesplanet version) for Steam Deck ?
The game comes with an exe and several .bin
Do I simply install it on the desktop then copy the installed game ?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
How would I go about setting up The Sinking City (standalone gamesplanet version) for Steam Deck ?
The game comes with an exe and several .bin
Do I simply install it on the desktop then copy the installed game ?

Its fairly simple once you know how.
Ive re-installed BattleNet/Overwatch recently – on my laptop, but the process should be the same.

• Switch to Desktop mode
  • Open Steam
  • Go to Library > Add Non-Steam Game
  • Find your installer exe (if you cant find it, remember to show all files when you browse)
  • Right click the new shortcut > Properties > Compatibility > Force the use of ... > select Proton Experimental
  • Try to run it, then install it
  • Once youre done, exit out of it, and then right click that same shortcut, and go into Properties again
  • Now you'll need to edit "Target" and "Start in"
  • "Target" will be the game.exe and it should be in "/home/<your name>/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/<long number>/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/<Sinking City folder>/<Sinking City.exe>" (the Steam Deck folder structure might be somewhat different)
  • "Start in" is that same directory, so you can just copy it and remove the .exe

Good luck!
BTW theres several guides on YouTube as well, they might show it better

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I would really like another analog stick because mine has this weird rubbing feeling like it's scrubbing against something inside. My right stick is perfectly smooth. I've read that some people also have this issue but it goes away after a few days. I have my unit for a couple of weeks now and I feel like it got even worse.

EDIT. Okay, so I said "Fuck it" and opened my Steam Deck. I didn't do it in the first place because I thought it might lose integrity and the plastic would feel loose after reassembly, but to my surprise, that's not the case. It was hard to pry the case open tho, as it took me good 15 minutes. I took out the analog stick to take a closer look at it and nope, the wire that goes from the cap to the board does not get in the way so this is not what was causing the issue. I removed the cap and moved the analog stick without the cap and unfortunately I could still feel something rubbing inside. I sprayed it with compressed air, but it didn't change anything. Feeling defeated I reassembled my Deck and to my surprise, the analog stick feels way better? I tested it a few moments ago and it felt terrible so I don't know what is happening. The compressed air had to have a delayed effect or something. I hope it stays that way and it won't start rubbing against something after a period of time.

Oh, and it turns out I have that shitty Delta fan but it doesn't bother me as much as other people.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
At least, now that you already had it open, if the fan ever starts to bother you it shouldn't be too hard to replace (and the fan was relatively affordable).

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Labyrinth of Refrain running perfectly on the Deck (didn't even need to force Proton, surprised it ain't verified yet) really motivated me to pick this game back up, maybe there's hope for my backlog yet.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Labyrinth of Refrain running perfectly on the Deck (didn't even need to force Proton, surprised it ain't verified yet) really motivated me to pick this game back up, maybe there's hope for my backlog yet.
I also have it installed and I hope
a) that it doesn't have that game breaking loading bug some people have under Windows
b) we'll get Galleria soon.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I also have it installed and I hope
a) that it doesn't have that game breaking loading bug some people have under Windows
b) we'll get Galleria soon.
I played it for roughly 50 hours on windows and had no crashes/loading bugs. I suspect it might be an error with the game on AMD cards instead of Nvidia, but fwiw I played it for 5 hours straight last night and had no crashes or any issues whatsoever on my Deck. I even had it suspended for a few hours and booted back up and had no issues, which is nice cuz I played a few games where after being in suspend mode would have it's frame rate jump all over the place and audio issues until I rebooted.

I really hope we get Galleria soon I love Refrain and I heard even better stuff about the new one.

Reactions: Cacher

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Hello Knurek! Apologies for pinging you, you seem to know a good deal about displays so I thought I would ask.

I have a single white pixel on my SD screen that seems to only really get noticeable on higher brightnesses (>50%) and really only on a darker backdrop (i.e. black/dark navy/etc.). It does not seem to be viewable on any lighter/neon colors. And it seems only like it is especially noticeable at certain angles.

I might be able to get a picture of it later, but do you think this sounds like a dead pixel or a stuck pixel? I would hate to have to RMA for a single pixel, but it is near the left-center of the screen. Everything else on my SD seems in good working order, so I think I might sit on it for awhile and see if any other issues appear before I rush to replace it.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Sounds like a stuck pixel, if I'm understanding what you wrote correctly...
Not sure what Valve's stance is on RMA screen defects, might be that a single one isn't enough for warranty replacement.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Sounds like a stuck pixel, if I'm understanding what you wrote correctly...
Not sure what Valve's stance is on RMA screen defects, might be that a single one isn't enough for warranty replacement.
I was leaning towards a stuck pixel, so maybe I can keep trying to fix it. I have heard some folks were able to get their SD replaced for any stuck/dead pixel, but since everything else is working pretty well on my SD, I reallyyyy do not want to dice roll again haha. Thank you for your help!

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Hello! We've just shipped an update to SteamOS - we're up to 3.2 now, and it's full of some great updates and improvements to Steam Deck.

Refresh Rate

Players now have the option to adjust the in-game screen refresh rate on the fly. The default is 60Hz (which can be frame-limited to 60, 30, and 15fps), but you can now slide it down to 40Hz (with frame limits at 40, 20, and 10fps). Or any number (integer) between those two settings. This feature is great for finding that perfect balance between framerate, game quality, and battery life. Pro-tip, we have found that 40Hz tends to be a sweet spot for responsiveness, consistency, and smoothness
. And of course, you can save this setting on a per-game basis.

Fan Behavior

The team has been hard at work on Steam Deck's fan behavior, and this update has an all-new OS-controlled fan curve. This means that overall it's smarter, more responsive to what's happening on and inside Steam Deck, and
quieter
- especially in low usage situations. This has been tested extensively, and we're continuing to work on improvements - so please let us know what you think. If you prefer the way the fan used to work, you can always switch back to the old (BIOS-controlled) fan behavior in System > Settings.

Other bits and bobs

SteamOS 3.2 also includes more internal screen resolution options for games to choose from, quick formats for microSD cards, and audio improvements - max speaker volume now goes even higher!

Big thanks to the community for helping us test all these changes in the OS Beta channel. For more info about this update, view the full patch notes here.

Remote Play Together

This feature isn't actually part of the SteamOS 3.2 update (it's a Steam Client update), but it's still a big deal, and is also something that we shipped today. Remote Play Together (the feature that allows a friend to join your game remotely as if they are sitting on a couch next to you) is now completely functional on Steam Deck. This includes both hosting and joining Remote Play Together sessions. Try out a supported game and open the Quick Access Menu to get started. Details about this, and all the other Steam Client updates can be found here.

More nerdy details about the refresh rate change.
So 30hz = 33.33 ms/frame, and 60hz = 16.66ms/frame. Meanwhile, 40hz is 25 ms/frame. So while it might seem a bit counter intuitive,
40fps is exactly half-way between 30 fps and 60 fps in terms of update speed
, and as such looks and feels far more responsive than 30fps. Generally speaking you always want a very stable frame pacing. So having a rock solid 40hz is better than oscillating between 42 and 48 hz, especially if your screen refresh is 60hz. This is because you're only actually getting a new frame each 1/60th of a second, so every time you miss, you get a double frame, leading to judder.

So a rock solid 40fps in game, with a 40hz updating screen, means every frame is a new frame and as a result it can feel smoother than an inconsistent framerate with a higher screen refresh. In addition, locking framerate lower puts less demand on the system and thus saves battery. While 40hz will use more battery than 30hz, it will use less than a game capped at a higher refresh, while still giving a subjectively far higher quality of an experience comparitively.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Anyone knows if Project Miku is Deck compatible ?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Still no Dock news :(
I guess it's a supply chain issue. I am not sure if USB docks use some kind of chip, but I guess they need some kind of way of determining how much voltage to put through what part and whatnot, so at least some embedded low power chip will be needed. And Valve might have trouble getting all the supplies in large enough numbers to open up orders for it.

But if you have any kind of USB-C dock already set up for your laptop, there's pretty much no reason to wait for the official one. Just get a cheap stand that fits the Deck, and you're done.

Last edited: