|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I'm playing Tales of Arise rn on Deck and its truly what I, almost, expect from a verified game. 45FPS locked, 3h of battery life with almost maxed out settings (Only shadow at medium). Only thing that its preventing it to be akin a verified label benchmark is the lack of arbitrary resolution. (Something that baffles me in 2023)

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Valve have this new page with the top 100 most played games on Steam Deck this year so far:

One interesting thing about it is that it includes "unsupported" games.
That's pretty funny! I wonder why games like Sons of the Forest and Boltgun are marked as unsupported.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is there a big downside to using EA Play (or whatev) on Deck vs the Steam versions of games ?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Is there a big downside to using EA Play (or whatev) on Deck vs the Steam versions of games ?
The games are exactly the same,so there couldn't be any differences. You are just lending those games, and they'll drop from your library after you stop subbing. You're also always graced with the dumb EA launcher, but that's regardless of whether you have EA play or not.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
EA Play through Steam, or launched as non-Steam games?

If it’s EA Play for Steam the experience is identical. If you’re adding them to Steam as non-Steam games (i.e. your subscription is from outside Steam) then you have to deal with the disadvantages of them being a non-Steam game. That includes a lack of Steam platform features and no shader pre-caching via the client.

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The games are exactly the same,so there couldn't be any differences. You are just lending those games, and they'll drop from your library after you stop subbing. You're also always graced with the dumb EA launcher, but that's regardless of whether you have EA play or not.
Yeah, sorry, I suspected I wasn't using the right term. I meant plain old EA app. As in the successor to Origin, not the sub service.
I was tempted to re-buy Mass Effect Legendary and Dragon Age 2 on Steam, to consolidate my library. But unlike Anno, there is a good chance I will want to play them on Deck, so if it's all the same, that's 20 something that can go elsewhere.

I meant, using the EA app on Deck as a non Steam game, will it support Steam Input, things like that.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, sorry, I suspected I wasn't using the right term. I meant plain old EA app. As in the successor to Origin, not the sub service.
I was tempted to re-buy Mass Effect Legendary and Dragon Age 2 on Steam, to consolidate my library. But unlike Anno, there is a good chance I will want to play them on Deck, so if it's all the same, that's 20 something that can go elsewhere.

I meant, using the EA app on Deck, will it support Steam Input, things like that.
Okay, then to clarify: Adding EA games as non-Steam loses you things like achievements. You won’t get shader pre-caching so you will get shader stutter. Steam Input should work fine.

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Decisions, DECISIONS ! Losing achievements was expected, but a bummer. Shader cache is a big bummer. But is it a 20 something bummer :thinking-blob:

-

Wait, you mean that if I subb on Steam for 3 something, I get to play the Steam version with all the advantages ? And when the subb lapses the games are still in my library with the cheevos, just un-launchable ?
Interesting if so. Mivey C-Dub I summon you for confirmation.

As an aside and for curio's sake, does EA play gives access to DLC ? Irrelevant as the games I want are ultimate edition but good to know. Like For 3 I have access to every Sims 4 dlc ?

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Don’t know enough about EA’s sub, so I can’t answer that. But I guess if the game is available on EA Play, you’ll be able to access the full Steam version of that game for as long as you’re subscribed.

The game disappears from your library when your sub ends, but like when you refund a game, you keep the cheevos as far as I’m aware.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Don’t know enough about EA’s sub, so I can’t answer that. But I guess if the game is available on EA Play, you’ll be able to access the full Steam version of that game for as long as you’re subscribed.

The game disappears from your library when your sub ends, but like when you refund a game, you keep the cheevos as far as I’m aware.
Yeah seems like the games are hidden on the account but the stats being are saved, coming back in case of a purchase.
Meh, I suppose 20 more is not the end of the world.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Thanks!

That actually looks like a really useful feature. I really hope someone makes a Decky alternative for Steam Windows, because it’s weird to have a bunch of features on my Deck and not have them when using BPM on my desktop.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
It would really help if Valve made easy to edit library metadata locally, even if they didn't allow you to sync the changes through their service.
Do it Gabe :minos_gun:

• This!
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It would really help if Valve made easy to edit library metadata locally, even if they didn't allow you to sync the changes through their service.
Do it Gabe :minos_gun:
People have been literally been asking for this for years and it's fallen on deaf ears.

Valve are very particular about what they let users do on Steam, and what they don't, and they've rigidly stuck to that for the longest time.

I'd like to see a lot more customisation available for Steam in general, including:
  • Desktop and Big Picture theming
  • Library plugins (community made, for quickly adding and syncing other libraries to Steam)
  • Metadata plugins (for editing game information, using external grid providers and adding functionality to the client Valve won't)
  • Browser windows as apps, so we can natively add any website as a local Steam app (such as Netflix, other stores, game streaming services)
I know you can do all of these with third party apps but they don't always work well, and for ones that edit information in the Steam client, one client update can totally break the entire plugin system, which makes them hard to rely on and kind of ephemeral in a way that I find deeply unsatisfying.

Of course I'm speaking largely from a HTPC background, but I'm sure there are other enhancements to Steam that the community would like for Desktop mode that Valve won't do.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
On a more Linux & ROG Ally and less Steam Deck (but still related), I'm hearing good things about ChimeraOS on ROG Ally. Apparently it gives users a Steam Deck like experience (without the trackpad) and an awesome Web UI so you can remote administer the system from a PC on your LAN.

To be honest, a Web UI for Steam in general (and Deck, and any new Steam Console that may or may not release) would be a great feature for Valve to add. As a HTPC user, anything that means I don't need to use a keyboard with my PC is a big benefit.

Reactions: lashman

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
On a more Linux & ROG Ally and less Steam Deck (but still related), I'm hearing good things about ChimeraOS on ROG Ally. Apparently it gives users a Steam Deck like experience (without the trackpad) and an awesome Web UI so you can remote administer the system from a PC on your LAN.

To be honest, a Web UI for Steam in general (and Deck, and any new Steam Console that may or may not release) would be a great feature for Valve to add. As a HTPC user, anything that means I don't need to use a keyboard with my PC is a big benefit.
Cockpit?

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Cockpit?
I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I can't remote install Steam games with it. What I'd like is something more game-focused, because that's where remote management interests me the most.

ChimeraOS uses something called Chimera that I'd like to see available as a more OS agnostic thing. Right now it's specifically designed for ChimeraOS though, so I'm not sure how feasible it'd be running on SteamOS. Plus I'd also like the feature on Windows so I can have the same functionality on my HTPC.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
So it runs better with SD card than SSD? Because the loading in the second tweet X is far faster than the first.
I think it's just because in the DF video you are seeing a like a benchmark of that portal thing. I'm pretty sure that you'll see that kind of transition only in that sequence and nothing more. Back in the day of the PS5 release there were a lot of criticism because they did not pushed that kind of gimmick more in the game.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So it runs better with SD card than SSD? Because the loading in the second tweet X is far faster than the first.
It's not an apples to apples comparison.

The SD card shows portals all in the same area (functionally the same as a portal in, well, Portal - or the original Prey), whereas the SSD video shows the proper thing, which is portals to completely different areas that have to be streamed in from storage in as you traverse the portal.

I'd be interested to see the same scene from the opening running from SSD and SD card.

Reactions: TheTrain

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Is anybody else playing Diablo IV on Steam Deck? I'm experiencing some frame time spikes during traveling, I think it might be a VRAM issue but I am not sure. Otherwise, it works well on low-medium settings and FSR set to balanced at 40 Hz. I'm wondering if there is a way to mitigate this issue.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Is anybody else playing Diablo IV on Steam Deck? I'm experiencing some frame time spikes during traveling, I think it might be a VRAM issue but I am not sure. Otherwise, it works well on low-medium settings and FSR set to balanced at 40 Hz. I'm wondering if there is a way to mitigate this issue.
If it is due to the game loading, then there is not much you can do, that would be a memory bandwidth issue. In principle, things like DirectStorage could for that on Windows, on Linux you'd first need support for such techniques on the Linux kernel, and then Proton devs would need to extend Proton to translate DirectStorage instructions to whatever it is the Linux kernel might implement.

Reactions: MomoVideo

FunnyJay