|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
My estimated delivery time is May 4th. Why does it take so long? I bought things from China that arrived faster than this.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
New fan profiles are much better.

Now if only Valve could again (last updates made it much worse) fix taking 2 minutes to wakeup from sleep / boot....

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Custom launchers are just the worst.

The Somnium Files seem to work perfectly on the Deck - with one caveat.
It has a shitty launcher for changing graphics settings which is impossible to properly navigate in game mode and broken in Desktop mode, so you need to change the graphics manually via editing the .ini....
The recently added multi-window management for game mode almost manages to make it work, but not completely. The settings window doesn't have a confirm or close-button, but relies on the close button of the window itself, which the deck doesn't replicate.
I should probably bring it up to Valve, they'll probably implement that.

Still, custom launchers suck.

Edit: It looks like you can also make it work by binding Alt+F4 to a button, which lets you close the graphics settings so you can move on. I didn't think of that! That's easier.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Downloading a 16 GB game (Super Robot Wars 30 in this case) and the fan is not even spinning up. Total gamechanger, before it would go on full blast.
Last real downside of the machine is fixed for me. Of course, compatability can always improve, but with my backlog I'll never run out of playable games.

Update: the fan started up mid download, but on such a low speed that it remained unnoticeable.

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Can we get a proper activity log now Valve?
One that'd track non-Steam games too and would allow to check playtimes on all devices separately?

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
madjoki I don't follow, by wake up from sleep do you mean powering down and powering up the Deck simply with the main button ?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
soo Im somewhat confused -- remember the discussion about the savegames and how I tested it by uninstalled The Secret of Monkey Island?
i just noticed by chance that the savefiles are still there. just the savefiles, within that virtual windows file system (which is stripped of anything else).

soooooo Steam does keep the saves? I wonder why it deleted them for Knurek

• Eyes
Reactions: Li Kao and Pommes

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I have a slight annoyance with my left stick. When I push it all the way up, the edge of the shaft where the thumbrest is mounted is rubbing against the housing (I hope that makes sense). So it always has this "grinding" feel when I push up and left or right. It already made a mark on the stick and the casing as well.

edit: Regarding the fan - I feel like it's still getting loud when there is a lot of CPU stress and it's also very reactionary - I feel a slower ramp-up would do wonders to the whole experience.

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
Anyway, a friend of mine change his mind, and i got the steamdeck at the retail price from him.

Really great device, i love it

It can emulate almost everything (switch too) i hope cemu native for linux could decrease some watt, and pcsx2 can be more power efficent, rigth now emulating the switch consume less watt than ps2 an wii u

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I bought a new SDcard for the Switch and it just dawned on me I could use it with the Deck, alternating with my original one.
Then I thought about the Deck SD slot, maybe the worst SD slot I ever encountered ?

On a related note, the one in the OLED Switch is a joy to use. Details, details, but they make the picture.

• Toucan

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I bought a new SDcard for the Switch and it just dawned on me I could use it with the Deck, alternating with my original one.
Then I thought about the Deck SD slot, maybe the worst SD slot I ever encountered ?

On a related note, the one in the OLED Switch is a joy to use. Details, details, but they make the picture.
What exactly do you not like about the SD slot on the Deck? The one on my OLED switch is behind the cover, and its kinda hard to get the card in and out. Meanwhile, the one on the Deck is not covered by anything by default and pretty easy to use.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
What exactly do you not like about the SD slot on the Deck? The one on my OLED switch is behind the cover, and its kinda hard to get the card in and out. Meanwhile, the one on the Deck is not covered by anything by default and pretty easy to use.
Friendly reminder not to take cover off of Deck if you have SD card inserted.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh, I would have thought my issue wasn't hard to imagine, maybe I'm just not good with small things. I totally grant you that the Switch one being behind the cover could be really annoying if you use multiples cards.
But anyway my issue with the Deck slot is just that I don't find it handy, I suppose ? It's in plain sight so that's a plus, but I bet you each time I had to insert a card it didn't click and stay put, getting 'thrown out' instead. I have to place the card in the correct position, duh, but then push behind it with a fingernail. It's messier than what I would do with the switch.
But fuck's sake, is it hard to explain the finer points of inserting sdcard, I hope you understood me :dizzy-face:

Let's simplify.
Switch - Lay down the card, push, Houston, I think we are good.
Deck - Put the card in the correct position, push... that shit is insta getting out, ain't it ?
There, I... could have saved the wall of text :smiling-eyes:

Reactions: Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Oh, I would have thought my issue wasn't hard to imagine, maybe I'm just not good with small things. I totally grant you that the Switch one being behind the cover could be really annoying if you use multiples cards.
But anyway my issue with the Deck slot is just that I don't find it handy, I suppose ? It's in plain sight so that's a plus, but I bet you each time I had to insert a card it didn't click and stay put, getting 'thrown out' instead. I have to place the card in the correct position, duh, but then push behind it with a fingernail. It's messier than what I would do with the switch.
But fuck's sake, is it hard to explain the finer points of inserting sdcard, I hope you understood me :dizzy-face:

Let's simplify.
Switch - Lay down the card, push, Houston, I think we are good.
Deck - Put the card in the correct position, push... that shit is insta getting out, ain't it ?
There, I... could have saved the wall of text :smiling-eyes:
I dunno, I just tried inserting an SD card on the Deck, and I had that problem with it pushing it out just once, and after that you understand you need to push until it makes click. I guess it depends how often you'd want to switch SDs. If you do it just once, then I guess it really doesn't' matter anyway. But if I had to choose between the two for regularly switching SDs, I would definitely prefer the Deck. Of course, I'm not sure what the use case for regularly switching SD cards is supposed to be. I guess for easily transferring files from the Deck?

On that note, I was surprised how easy to use the program "Warpinator" is. It's trivial to install on the Deck, and there's a decent Windows port. You make sure both devices have the right port and Code set (which I had to set manually, a bit weird), but after that it's pretty easy and reliable to use.

Reactions: C-Dub and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I dunno, I just tried inserting an SD card on the Deck, and I had that problem with it pushing it out just once, and after that you understand you need to push until it makes click. I guess it depends how often you'd want to switch SDs. If you do it just once, then I guess it really doesn't' matter anyway. But if I had to choose between the two for regularly switching SDs, I would definitely prefer the Deck. Of course, I'm not sure what the use case for regularly switching SD cards is supposed to be. I guess for easily transferring files from the Deck?

On that note, I was surprised how easy to use the program "Warpinator" is. It's trivial to install on the Deck, and there's a decent Windows port. You make sure both devices have the right port and Code set (which I had to set manually, a bit weird), but after that it's pretty easy and reliable to use.
True, all this is subjective and highly theoretical as if your data organization has a modicum of sense you don’t have to swap that often.
As for my use case, well the sd is for emulation and recent games eats quite some space, an SD dedicated to yuzu and the likes could be useful in my mind. Because if, as you say, transfering files via Warpinator is relatively handy and quick, moving them to the SD is oh so another thing entirely.
Not sure if you can set a Warpinator destination on the card itself, would be neat.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Are Scarlet Nexus, Atelier Ryza or Tales of Arise not too compromised on Deck ?
If not, I think I will play them there.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise are both verified for Deck so they should play fine. Those two are actually one of the first games I want to play on Deck.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise are both verified for Deck so they should play fine. Those two are actually one of the first games I want to play on Deck.
Yup, but at the risk of looking unreasonable I wanted to ask if they were looking and performing good enough. Death Stranding and Deathloop are verified too after all, and the feedback I got from those is a big mixed bag.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think someone on here mentioned that Scarlet Nexus has some issues with cloud saves (the wrong file is uploaded to Steam Cloud or something) so if you were planning to alternate between Deck and PC, I'd not recommend it unless someone corrects me on that.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I think someone on here mentioned that Scarlet Nexus has some issues with cloud saves (the wrong file is uploaded to Steam Cloud or something) so if you were planning to alternate between Deck and PC, I'd not recommend it unless someone corrects me on that.
That was me, but it looks like that has been fixed since then. I haven't retried it myself, but that's what I've heard from others who gave it a try more recently.

Are Scarlet Nexus, Atelier Ryza or Tales of Arise not too compromised on Deck ?
If not, I think I will play them there.
Scarlet Nexus runs perfectly fine at 60fps with high graphics from what I've played.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao and C-Dub

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Knurek In this case that's how I feel because I'm actually off from work for one more week so this is just another normal day for me :p

• Hug
Reactions: Knurek

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Quick question, will there be a notification on Steam when my reserved order is available? Or do I have to keep an eye on my email for that.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
They need to improve the multitasking of this thing.
Atm if you launch a game and then try to open chrome to search for something you can still hear the sounds of the game whilst chrome is in the foreground (which wouldn't be an issue) except that I can hear it's sending inputs to the game as well while I type in chrome or sometimes other inputs are redirected to the game instead of chrome.

Also the way to look at guides from in-game is bad, they should work like steam overlay where you can open a guide directly and it remains open every time you access the overlay instead of this garbage way of having to swap/tab out, navigate to the guides and swap back to the games with the guide "resetting"

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
My Deck arrived an hour ago. First impressions - it's massive. I have smaller hands so Deck isn't as super comfortable as I would like. I mean it's good to hold thanks to the grips, but analog sticks are a little too far and L1/R1 are a little too high. Fan wise, I don't know actually if I got a better or worse fan. I played Elden Ring for about 15 minutes on a stable build and I could not hear the fan with audio at around 65%. When I'm downloading stuff and the fan goes full tilt, it honestly sounds about the same as Switch, just a tad louder. I'm going to install the beta branch nonetheless because I don't want Deck to go full blast while I'm downloading about 500 GB of games.

As for Elden Ring on this thing - it's weird. Switch kinda taught me what to expect from a handheld graphics-wise, but when I launched ER on high settings, I could see every detail in scenery, everything looked so sharp that it kinda confused me.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I would gladly buy Steam Deck Slim/Lite that would be at least 10-15% smaller if it ever materializes.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
While an OLED would be nice, my biggest issue with the Steam Deck is how expensive (and not super user friendly) it is to update the internal SSD.

Would be nice if they switched to the cheaper 2280 size NVMe and made it more user accessible. An SD card is fine for older games, but I think the NVMe will be essential for certain games in the near future.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Only thing I want from a future Deck revision is an OLED screen.
I don’t personally care about the colors or the black levels but I can’t disagree. One of the biggest issue on mine would be ips glow. I fortunately don’t see it much often ingame, but upon start up it’s the fourth of July on my screen.

Reactions: C-Dub

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
While an OLED would be nice, my biggest issue with the Steam Deck is how expensive (and not super user friendly) it is to update the internal SSD.

Would be nice if they switched to the cheaper 2280 size NVMe and made it more user accessible. An SD card is fine for older games, but I think the NVMe will be essential for certain games in the near future.
well, technically speaking you can perform the world's funniest surgery on some 2280 SSDs

not that i'd recommend it :p