|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
well, technically speaking you can perform the world's funniest surgery on some 2280 SSDs

not that i'd recommend it :p
Utterly absurd.

Maybe they should release those drives as 2230 variants and include some sort of extender for people who want to fit them into 2280 (though why they’d want to, given their motherboard probably has a 2230 hole anyway).

I’m hoping if the Deck gets more popular, or Nintendo releases a Switch 2 that uses a user-replaceable 2230 NVMe, that prices on these will come down due to economies of scale and such.

Reactions: lashman

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Anyone know how long it took for their shipping company/Valve to send a confirmation on when it starts shipping? I purchased on Monday but haven't heard anything back since I got the receipt and confirmation from Steam. I know it's GLS so maybe I'm setting my expectations a little too high.

Outside of that anyone got any videos/tutorials/advice for their decks? Outside of the verified/playable stuff I'm looking to setup emulation and VNs as well. I bookmarked some pages about the latter, but stuff like Lutris and switching between versions of Proton baffles me as a non Linux user. Also sounds like I need to hop on this new beta branch for my Deck OS so my fans don't explode my ears.

• Gib
Reactions: Li Kao

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Anyone know how long it took for their shipping company/Valve to send a confirmation on when it starts shipping? I purchased on Monday but haven't heard anything back since I got the receipt and confirmation from Steam. I know it's GLS so maybe I'm setting my expectations a little too high.
I paid on Monday, the package number was generated on Tuesday morning and it was picked up by GLS in the evening of the same day.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Outside of that anyone got any videos/tutorials/advice for their decks? Outside of the verified/playable stuff I'm looking to setup emulation and VNs as well. I bookmarked some pages about the latter, but stuff like Lutris and switching between versions of Proton baffles me as a non Linux user. Also sounds like I need to hop on this new beta branch for my Deck OS so my fans don't explode my ears.
I paid on Thursday, and Valve shipped it on Monday.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Does anyone experience a crackling sound? The game is running fine but every now and then this crack appears in the audio. I have it in both Elden Ring and Tales of Arise.

Alsoo, for some reason, the remote play doesn't want to work properly for me. It connects fine, it streams alright but it is losing frames in power-intensive situations. I can see my host PC working just fine in 60 fps, but on Steam Deck the counter drops down to 50 or even lower depending on the game. Streaming to my phone works perfectly fine. I played with the Steam Remote Play client settings but it didn't help.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Alsoo, for some reason, the remote play doesn't want to work properly for me. It connects fine, it streams alright but it is losing frames in power-intensive situations. I can see my host PC working just fine in 60 fps, but on Steam Deck the counter drops down to 50 or even lower depending on the game. Streaming to my phone works perfectly fine. I played with the Steam Remote Play client settings but it didn't help.
If you have an NVIDIA GPU, try using Moonlight (just change the default streaming bandwidth, it's 10 Mbit/s so give lots of compression artifacts, having it setup to 50 Mbit gives a vastly better picture).

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
If you have an NVIDIA GPU, try using Moonlight (just change the default streaming bandwidth, it's 10 Mbit/s so give lots of compression artifacts, having it setup to 50 Mbit gives a vastly better picture).
I know about moonlight, but I would prefer the built-in solution for simplicity. I used Steam Remote Play a lot in the past and it worked wonderfully for me both locally and over the internet, so I am surprised that there are issues with it on Deck.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I know about moonlight, but I would prefer the built-in solution for simplicity. I used Steam Remote Play a lot in the past and it worked wonderfully for me both locally and over the internet, so I am surprised that there are issues with it on Deck.
It's all random, really.
Steam RP works like crap on my Android tablet and Steam Deck while working perfectly on my Android phone (all on the same network, obviously)
While moonlight works perfectly on my Android tablet and Steam Deck while working like crap on my Android phone.
¯\(ツ)

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I pretty much swear by Moonlight as it works with Playnite on my PC better than Steam RP.

I have my bitrate at about 120mbps and that gives me an excellent picture at 4K60.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I paid on Monday, the package number was generated on Tuesday morning and it was picked up by GLS in the evening of the same day.
I paid on Thursday, and Valve shipped it on Monday.
Thanks guys, an hour after that post and I ended up getting my shipping confirmation email! Maybe if I start complaining here more my Deck might show up before the weekend 🤔

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
It's all random, really.
Steam RP works like crap on my Android tablet and Steam Deck while working perfectly on my Android phone (all on the same network, obviously)
While moonlight works perfectly on my Android tablet and Steam Deck while working like crap on my Android phone.
¯\(ツ)
I enabled an option on host PC to let Steam change the resolution of the desktop and it fixed my problem.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Does anyone experience a crackling sound? The game is running fine but every now and then this crack appears in the audio. I have it in both Elden Ring and Tales of Arise
I sometimes have that after waking up specific games from sleep.

I didn't have your issues with remote play (though I had a black level issue when using hardware accelerated decoding on the Deck).

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Finally installed vivaldi on Deck, yay!

Reactions: LEANIJA

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, simple konsole command and good to go after downloading a .sh image from Vivaldi's website.
Do note that anything that isn't installed as a flatpak will probably get removed on SteamOS update.
(unless I misunderstood something)

Reactions: Pommes

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Do note that anything that isn't installed as a flatpak will probably get removed on SteamOS update.
fuck? U_U

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
fuck? U_U
So, SteamOS uses an "A/B" design, which means at any point in time, there are always 2 different version of the entire OS installed on separate partitions.
When an update is installed, the version not in use gets updated and when rebooting it will boot you into the updated version. If everything worked fine, the old version will be reused for the next update.
This means that everything installed on an OS-partition is going to get nuked the moment another update gets applied.
With its new "A/B" design, there are now two OS partitions, with two different versions of SteamOS. When upgrading, a new operating system image is written to any partition that is not currently in use, before the system is rebooted. A specialized bootloader module then automatically selects the newer operating system and boots it. If the update was successful, you continue to use the new operating system and the old system partition is reused for the next update. If the updated version doesn't boot properly, then the bootloader automatically rolls back to the previous system partition and you can try again later.
Everything you install via Discover (flatpaks) will persist, and everything in user space will as well.

I guess to find out whether that applies to your Vivaldi installation we can use the question "Did you have to disable the read-only filesystem?"
If the answer is yes, it will probably be nuked.
If no, then probably not.

Reactions: Vitunzen and C-Dub

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I installed many games yesterday and noticed that some ended up on the sd card and some on the internal ssd without any input/choice from me. How is this decided?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Only if you had to install in places that were read only before. Your home directory and anything beneath is fine and anything that's not mounted as read only as well.

So it depends on what Mor had to do to install it.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Well according to the reddit order tracking spreadsheet the US 512 orders got up to 21 minutes and 49 seconds on Thursday and I'm at 21 minutes and 54 seconds. So close yet so far. Oh well I'll be read to order on Monday.
I am 22 minutes and about 48 seconds, so I am hoping I am next Monday as well. That is actually earlier than the estimators had been saying which was either the 12th or the 16th. It could be a small indication that orders are ramping up, but I am still going to be interested to see how closely they meet their Q2 orders.

If I do get my order in on Monday, there is a reasonable chance I could get my Steam Deck by the end of next week. I am hoping for the best, but prepared to have random issues, so 🤞 😨 🤞

• Hug

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I got a question. Is there any way to enable back buttons (L3/L4/R3/R4) when I am streaming a game from a different PC through built in Steam Remote Play?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just download a .sh file and run a command in the konsole, shouldn't be a problem tbh
I mean, it depends on what that script file does. But it is surely possible to install programs just in your local home directory.
Sadly, I do not think Vivaldi has an official flathub package, which would probably be the best solution going foward. Also nice in that it would easily auto-update things.

• This!
Reactions: Mor

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I am 22 minutes and about 48 seconds, so I am hoping I am next Monday as well. That is actually earlier than the estimators had been saying which was either the 12th or the 16th. It could be a small indication that orders are ramping up, but I am still going to be interested to see how closely they meet their Q2 orders.

If I do get my order in on Monday, there is a reasonable chance I could get my Steam Deck by the end of next week. I am hoping for the best, but prepared to have random issues, so 🤞 😨 🤞
Most recent US 512 batches seem to be at least a minute so it does seem likely you'll be in the Monday batch.

• Gib
Reactions: ExistentialThought

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm a UK 256gb and I got my deposit in about 1hr 45 minutes after they went live. Right now the table on Reddit says that model is 0:31:25 in, so I have approximately 1 hour 14 minutes of orders left to be worked through before they get to mine.

I suspect at some point there will be a big jump in the time to correspond with when Valve's server completely shat its pants, but it's looking pretty grim for my Q2 order right now.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I tried Witcher 2 on the Deck, and it ran quite well, even if it couldn't quite keep 60 FPS at high settings. Probably lots of potential here to lock it at 40, or lower some of the more expensive settings that aren't that visible at 800p.

It's currently unsupported, and the reason is their launcher. You just see a black screen since the Deck can't properly show it in game mode. It works normally on Desktop mode. Another strange problem is that it doesn't detect the Deck input as an Xinput controller.
hope CD Projekt can patch this and make the game play better on the Deck.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Received my RMA finally, a month after I sent it back. New unit with different serial number! :partyblob:

When downloading games (with beta update applied) I could still hear the high pitch whine on occasion! :suicide-blob:

Either I am super sensitive to it, or super unlucky.

I will test it in games later today, with the beta update applied...if it is as bad as it used to, I am selling it.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Received my RMA finally, a month after I sent it back. New unit with different serial number! :partyblob:

When downloading games (with beta update applied) I could still hear the high pitch whine on occasion! :suicide-blob:

Either I am super sensitive to it, or super unlucky.

I will test it in games later today, with the beta update applied...if it is as bad as it used to, I am selling it.
Hmm, the patch thing is real, the difference is indisputably there. But if the fans are more silent than before, they can occasionally be loud as fuck, still.
Like, try downloading a 40gb game, you will be reminded of their presence.

But overall yeah, really cool update.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I am in the Q2 gang and still waiting impatiently.

I hope when we're in Q3 your email comes quickly. It sucks that Valve won't even narrow the dates down to a month. So I hope you get yours sooner rather than later.
By the time mine arrives, I won't even know where to begin to search for all the apps and hax to get the most out of it. I feel behind already.

Reactions: C-Dub

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
But overall yeah, really cool update.
I just tested some 30 minutes of Cyberpunk with unlocked framerate and gamesound disabled....and I think I might be keeping it. The whine is indeed much less prominent than it was on the previous unit/firmware.

The temperatures on CPU and GPU are high, I think max I saw were 82, but whatever. As long as it is stable and my ear and brain doesn't bleed, I am fine.

Also, still can't get over how amazing Cyberpunk looks on this. Also tried Little Nightmares, ION Fury and Ruiner - all good looking and running games that seem great fit for Deck.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
82C isn't high for a APU.
Pretty much. It's like for laptop CPUs. Around 40s is a normal idle temperature, maybe high 30s if the machine has very good cooling or using ARM. And as long as it doesn't come too close to 100, it's fine.
Honestly, 80 degrees at peak is even ok for discrete CPUs. It's high but still normal working temperatures.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I tried Witcher 2 on the Deck, and it ran quite well, even if it couldn't quite keep 60 FPS at high settings. Probably lots of potential here to lock it at 40, or lower some of the more expensive settings that aren't that visible at 800p.

It's currently unsupported, and the reason is their launcher. You just see a black screen since the Deck can't properly show it in game mode. It works normally on Desktop mode. Another strange problem is that it doesn't detect the Deck input as an Xinput controller.
hope CD Projekt can patch this and make the game play better on the Deck.
When in Game Mode try to press the "Steam" button then, while the game display the black screen, click on Resume Game. That should let the launcher be on top of everything (Its like an alt-tab), with Elite: Dangerous it works.
Launcher handling was improved with the latest beta update so keep in mind that you probably have to be inside beta branch to let it work

Reactions: Mivey

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Apparently the US 512GB queue only moved up about 52 seconds, about 7 seconds from my position :cryblob:

I already told myself it would be Thursday before I could order, but sheeesh, I also thought with how the queue had seemingly sped up that I might get in... :ripblob:

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The community guesstimator had today as my deck day for US but that queue specifically kinda feels like it's moving maybe slower than expected? So while I was originally hoping to get it sooner (since they announced they'd be sending more out), now I'm kind of expecting a couple more weeks. Sadly

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
The UK 256gb is still about 1hr 10 minutes off my order time.

On the plus side, the time jump each week is jumping a fair bit more than it was in April, so fingers crossed, ey?

• Sad