|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
After first playing some games that I could get away with very modest settings to preserve battery life, now I'm exploring a few 3D games and oof, way different feeling seeing that battery bar actually go down actively :anguished-face:

Outside of a VN-like (Murder by Numbers) I have yet to find a game where it looks acceptable on 30 FPS, or 40Hz, to save power, but it's nice for where you can use it. I could also be more sensitive to that I guess. I wish the "profile per game" setting would stay checked, it tends to forget even for games I previously set it on.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I started playing xcom enemy unknown which is marked as unsupported
Game has even a dedicated linux build developed by Feral, it works perfectly aside the fact that you have to emulate a mouse (Through steam input) to navigate the menu and select the Xbox controller as the input method utilized. After that you can navigate and play with the deck like you do on consoles
I don't know how much work it requires to develop something that detect what kind of input is being utilized but it's clear at this point that you can have a fucked up Deck evaluation (For a really good reason tbc) for what it is a, at least apparently, relatively minor issue.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Can anybody help me get rpcs3 working to play ps3 games?

I launch the game and it goes through a screen saying 'linking ppu modules' and then i just get a black screen. not really sure what to do to trouble shoot it. The game says its compatible on the wiki. Im on the latest ps3 firmware and rpcs3 version. Just a bit lost.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Can anybody help me get rpcs3 working to play ps3 games?

I launch the game and it goes through a screen saying 'linking ppu modules' and then i just get a black screen. not really sure what to do to trouble shoot it. The game says its compatible on the wiki. Im on the latest ps3 firmware and rpcs3 version. Just a bit lost.
Having used RPCS3 on Windows before, it does spawn a ton of those dialogs the first time you boot it and it can take a long time for it to finish. I assume under Gaming Mode it just gets confused which one of those to focus on and thus you only see a black screen. Maybe simpler to launch it first in Desktop mode, where you can see better what's going on. This should normally only happens on the first launch, or whenever somethings updates.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Having used RPCS3 on Windows before, it does spawn a ton of those dialogs the first time you boot it and it can take a long time for it to finish. I assume under Gaming Mode it just gets confused which one of those to focus on and thus you only see a black screen. Maybe simpler to launch it first in Desktop mode, where you can see better what's going on. This should normally only happens on the first launch, or whenever somethings updates.
Thanks. I've tried launching in desktop mode and the same thing happens, black screen. If i 'tab' out of fullscreen i just see a black box and it doesn't look like anything is happening. fps is stationary, no sound etc.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
shame its still online only as i am decking a lot in places withs hitty connection
yeah! its fine for me since I wouldnt play a shooty game on the deck anyways, i need mouse controls for that :)

~

not directly Deck news, but Epic released a Linux version of their UE5 editor...which is good. any increase in linux support is good in my book. :)

LionelInoe

Linux Advocate
Jul 13, 2022
Not directly Deck news, but Epic released a Linux version of their UE5 editor...which is good. any increase in linux support is good in my book.
This is good, but I think they'd need to do some more. Hopefully they make an Epic Games Store client for Linux or perhaps even support heroic themselves as an alternate client.

The big brain move on their part would be to buy AyaNeo for their new OS and make their own Steam Deck competitor.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Got my Steam Deck finally. First games that I played were Metal Gear Rising Reveangeance, Halo MCC, and Neon White. They all ran really well. When playing MCC at 60 Hz I can hear the almost quiet hiss of the fan. It didn't really bother me but when I lowered the refresh rate to 45 hz then the fan noise lowered dramatically.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I managed to get rcps3 running and a couple of games loaded but the performance is pretty poor, frame rates all over the place and long load times, stuttering etc. Not sure ill bother with PS3 games.

So pleased it runs Advance Wars perfectly. That and Mario Golf (N64).

Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Posted in the VN thread but I thought maybe I should post here as well. During the past week I tried to install various VN on Steam Deck to make them run natively on it. But the successful rate was very low.

I just set up Moonlight on the Deck and now everything streams perfectly. Damn... what a waste of time. I won't play VN in the public so streaming is the perfect solution.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Pommes and Li Kao

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
the main issue with japanese vns is you need to add japanese language at OS level not only at the game you want to emulate via wine.
Steamos only have american english on the os. You need to do this on Konsole with sudo command and disable readonly files system. Once you do this your ratio will increase a lot.
Happens too with other games that take OS language as reference. (That’s the main reason some games only play in english on Deck even when they’re MULTI5 or some japanese only games do not run.)

Here there is a good guide:
Take a look on the replies on this reddit
Already changed the locale, but folder names still can't be Japanese, and many often when these games run, they can't read the folders because I changed them into English.

Anyway, streaming is near perfect so I am not complaining.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Wait, what?
EXT4 shouldn't have any issues with non-ASCII file/directory names...
It's probably not a problem with the filesystem, but the application. It might not be able to deal with full UTF8 strings. I think old Windows applications did some weird stuff to get non-ASCII characters working. Anything needing locale changes these days is kinda sus anyway. Ever since Windows 8, there's no reason to not have your program just deal with UTF8 strings, at every level.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Paid for my Deck yesterday evening so i'm hopeful it'll turn up soon. It seems like it's 7 days from payment to delivery over here. Friend of a friend was going to cancel but we said to buy it and if they didn't like it they will get their money back at least when they sell it second hand. They got it, didn't open it, put it on ebay and got £730 for it within 30 minutes.

I'm opening and using mine, no way i'm selling it as tempting as it may seem.
Any of you put an SD-Card in your yet? What did you get? It is SD-Card to expand storage isn't it?

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Paid for my Deck yesterday evening so i'm hopeful it'll turn up soon. It seems like it's 7 days from payment to delivery over here. Friend of a friend was going to cancel but we said to buy it and if they didn't like it they will get their money back at least when they sell it second hand. They got it, didn't open it, put it on ebay and got £730 for it within 30 minutes.

I'm opening and using mine, no way i'm selling it as tempting as it may seem.
Any of you put an SD-Card in your yet? What did you get? It is SD-Card to expand storage isn't it?
I got mine today and formatted it but haven't installed anything yet. I got a Samsung Pro 256GB (the 512GB wasn't available and honestly I don't see myself needing it at all anyway). As long as I didn't get a bum one it should be rated close to the performance of the internal drive.

Speaking of performance, my Bluetooth earbuds seem to work fine in low-latency mode. I haven't tried an actual rhythm game but I can't notice any lag in the sound between when I use the earbuds and when I don't, which means it's very low because that drives me nuts when I see it.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
SD cards are much slower than the internal SSD on the Steam Deck. It’s a night and day difference.

Fine for emulated, older and smaller sized games but for your newer AAAs always use the internal SSD if you’ve got 256gb or larger.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
SD cards are much slower than the internal SSD on the Steam Deck. It’s a night and day difference.

Fine for emulated, older and smaller sized games but for your newer AAAs always use the internal SSD if you’ve got 256gb or larger.
Actual peak transfer speeds are comparable.
Sustained speed, especially with write and random access are other thing though.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Has anyone been able to actually get cheat engine or gameconqueror to install / run on the Steam Deck? I spent like 3 hours trying last night and had no luck. Gameconqueror should be the simpler one but it isn't listed in Discover, I can't find what Linux pakhub URL it might be under, and when installing it from konsole I get a corrupted package error soooo it might just not be compatible with SteamOS right now.

I finally, FINALLY got SteamTinkerLaunch installed and recognized (the Discover flatpak does not seem to work, it wouldn't recognize konsole commands nor did it show up in desktop Steam after a reboot), so I will try to force CE in through that, but SteamOS is different enough from the Linux I've used (and the most commonly used distros seems like) that I have to do 3 different searches to get 1 thing working.

Also, again, the Deck itself is wonderful - but god desktop mode is both the worst Linux experience I've had AND the worst "handheld desktop" experience I've had. They put a lot of effort into it behind the scenes but it needs a lot of polish otherwise.

Edit: I may have finally gotten game conqueror to work, will test it out tonight. Cheat Engine felt like a dead end, but I know it's technically possible (especially with STL).

The documentation for a lot of this stuff has been written by people who have never had to write technical documentation for anything other than personal projects, I feel like :anguished-face: no shade on them, most people don't have to do that, but it's a particular skill and not like writing just anything else.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It would be nice if they fix guides in overlay for BPM mode as well. It has been years, and it's still leaking memory for larger guides, resulting in Steam client crash.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It would be nice if they fix guides in overlay for BPM mode as well. It has been years, and it's still leaking memory for larger guides, resulting in Steam client crash.
They won’t because they’ve abandoned BPM - Deck UI is going to replace it.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Did run Emudeck again and it installed a Non-Flatpack version of Yuzu without copying the key thingies configured in the old install. Spend two hours trying to figure out why the Switch games that ran fine prior just started to a black screen...
Thought I was going crazy when it worked with starting Yuzu from Discover but not in Game Mode.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Li Kao and Pommes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Guides in overlay :blobeyes:
Neat, just add a way of managing screenshots in the overlay (or make screenshots easier to manage, currently it's super slow and hard to use) and it would be perfect.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Did run Emudeck again and it installed a Non-Flatpack version of Yuzu without copying the key thingies configured in the old install. Spend two hours trying to figure out why the Switch games that ran fine prior just started to a black screen...
Thought I was going crazy when it worked with starting Yuzu from Discover but not in Game Mode.
Yeah, emudeck switched away from flatpak for Yuzu because the flatpak version is frankly a mess that often crashes. Appimage is much better for stability.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, emudeck switched away from flatpak for Yuzu because the flatpak version is frankly a mess that often crashes. Appimage is much better for stability.
Then I might have to redo everything again :cryblob:
My solution yesterday was to rewrite all the library links for my Switch games from the Appimage version back to the Flatpack one. Which was tedious with using touch, and as a Non-Linux user it was kinda difficult to actually find out the correct file-links that Steam accepts.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Then I might have to redo everything again :cryblob:
My solution yesterday was to rewrite all the library links for my Switch games from the Appimage version back to the Flatpack one. Which was tedious with using touch, and as a Non-Linux user it was kinda difficult to actually find out the correct file-links that Steam accepts.
Trust me when I say that the headache of doing that is better than the headache of a random flatpak update breaking Yuzu (again).

Not sure if emudeck automatically updates the AppImage, but there's tools like AppImageUpdate that can do that for you.

There's also this referenced on the SD reddit for getting Yuzu EA Pineapple appimage (which autoupdates) set up on the Steam Deck.

malfatan

Jul 25, 2022
Anyone managed to run original steam Virtua Tennis 4 on Deck?
no luck even with xlive.dll.
Besides using xlive.dll, try deleting gameux.dll at <steam library>/steamapps/compatdata/71390/pfx/drive_c/windows/syswow64/gameux.dll.

Cheat Engine felt like a dead end, but I know it's technically possible (especially with STL).
I'm not sure if this will work on the Deck in game mode (due to gamescope), but you can just add the PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command% launch option to a game, and when it's running launch Cheat engine from the terminal or from a simple script that contains:
/tmp/proton_$USER/run ~/Downloads/CheatEngine74/Cheat\ Engine.exe
or whatever the CE exe location is. That variable creates the 'run' script.

PS: first post on Meta, so hi everyone!

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I'm not sure if this will work on the Deck in game mode (due to gamescope), but you can just add the PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command% launch option to a game, and when it's running launch Cheat engine from the terminal or from a simple script that contains:
/tmp/proton_$USER/run ~/Downloads/CheatEngine74/Cheat\ Engine.exe
or whatever the CE exe location is. That variable creates the 'run' script.

PS: first post on Meta, so hi everyone!
Hi!

So far I've managed to get Game Conqueror (a Linux-native, smaller scope CE) to work in desktop mode fine, but making it work in gaming mode has proven... frustrating. It's a niche software in a previously niche environment but I'm trying to use it on an even MORE niche one (SteamOS gaming mode) so the documentation is me reading how to do other stuff in Linux and trying to apply it logically.

At this point I've spent like 6 hours trying to get GC to work in gaming mode so I definitely would have had better returns trying to get CE to work with Steam Tinker Launch from the sounds of it. I appreciate the insight though because even just trying to find out "how to launch CE in Proton" gets like, no useful information.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Oh nooooo! I don't know if I will be able to afford it if it comes faster.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Oh nooooo! I don't know if I will be able to afford it if it comes faster.
Since they seem to have solved most production issues I imagine you will be able to cancel and re-order without falling far behind.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Since they seem to have solved most production issues I imagine you will be able to cancel and re-order without falling far behind.
Really? That would be a great option. Sure it’s faster now but I ordered mine one year ago. There has to be quite a bit of preorders in one year that has to take more than a few months to fulfill?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Really? That would be a great option. Sure it’s faster now but I ordered mine one year ago. There has to be quite a bit of preorders in one year that has to take more than a few months to fulfill?
You could open the store in an anonymous tab and see what kind of availability you get. In my region all models have an October-December estimated delivery date.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I hope that means the other regions they mentioned before (Japan, Australia) will be able to preorder soon.
I think that's likely. Once they can keep up with demand in the current countries they will expand.

Though I think the next countries to get the Steam Deck will be wealthy countries that are geographically close to the current markets (i.e. non-EU European countries such as Norway) that can be shipped to using already existing warehousing and shipping infrastructure.

Australia and Japan have unique challenges that Valve might have to overcome before the Deck is available in those countries. I'm not saying it's impossible and since they have specifically talked about those countries they're almost certainly working on it already, but I'm curious to see if they do a similar rollout in those countries to how it's been in current markets (i.e. release on Steam with a waitlist) or if they'll release the Deck in Japan/Australia/New Zealand once they're getting the device into third party retail channels.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Eh, I wanted to tinker a little, upgrade my sd card things like that. And as I'm not sure if the files on the sd aren't newer than my desktop one I wanted to transfer them from sd to desktop with warpinator.
Silly me, how dare I suppose things will work on linux ?

So yeah, warpinator can't seem to access the sd. I gave it permission via flatseal but fuck, noooo.
At this point I hate flatpak with a passion.

On a related topic, what hub do you use ? IF I continue fighting with the linux side, and that's a big if right now, I need a hub.

Last edited:

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
Do we have a, rough, estimate on how many Deck have been sold so far? I'm really curious and I also really hope that this thing could reach a good number of pc player out there

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I thought my Deck would turn up on Monday but my housemate said maybe saturday... i can confirm Not Saturday. lol

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
/run/media:rw is my new best friend.
Now as for why the Syncthing flatpak doesn't even need that to access the sdcard...

Oh yeah, as nothing ever works perfectly, now I have blank icons in my taskbar. Warpinator and ProtonUp-QT. The icon appears when the app is launched, but blank otherwise.
And the Syncthing icon in the tray is invisible.

I didn't know I needed to rebuild icon cache there too.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Do we have a, rough, estimate on how many Deck have been sold so far? I'm really curious and I also really hope that this thing could reach a good number of pc player out there
This is rough napkin math, but here goes:
There are 132 million monthly Steam users at last count.
Linux has a 1.18% market share as of June 2022 which is 2.376 million users
Of those 2.376 million users, 7.57% of those use "AMD Custom GPU 0405" which is the Steam Deck's APU. That gives you 179,863 Decks.

There are factors that can influence the count: most notably the hardware survey didn't capture Decks for the first month or two. July's data will be out in a few days so we can see how much the Linux and Deck's APU share has grown and extrapolate from there. Otherwise we're flying blind and have no idea unless Valve announces a sales milestone, which I think they will if/when it ever reaches 1 million units sold.

Of course I could be completely wrong. :shrugblob:

• Love
Reactions: Pommes and TheTrain

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Is a hardware survey a reliable way of counting Deck units? I didn't have a hardware survey in like 6 months. Not on my PC, not on my Deck that I own for almost 2 months now.

Reactions: Arc