|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What a time to be alive, Persona 5 Royal on handhelds thanks to Switch and Deck, OMFG

Komodo booth on TGS, funny to see judgment there already, and, sonic frontiers? Wonder if we will see something else? AKA KH :lampblob:

Reactions: C-Dub

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Looks like I am not going to TGS. The sites selling tickets ask for too much personal info. It is bonkers that they don't sell tickets at the venue when most of these shows do. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Mor and lashman

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Hololive ERROR seems to work on Steam Deck barring lack of controller support which is easily remedied by swapping to a keyboard schema. Not sure if there are any issues that I cannot see or hear given the fact I have watched zero playthroughs.

Only played a few minutes since it is late here and it is too spooky. :goodnightblob:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Honestly the Steam Deck was an absolute genius move by Valve and it's super exciting to see them going all-in and the great reception all around.
Like, the Steam Deck is just a bit over half a year old with people still waiting to get theirs, and we already see lots of publishers market their games with Steam Deck on release, seeing it used by publishers alongside consoles to show off their games at conventions, etc.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I remember playing the original Judgement on a PS4 Pro back in 2019. Couldn't stand how slow and stiff it was because it ran at 30 fps so I dropped it. Fast forward to 2022, I am playing this game on a handheld running at 40fps (can go 60fps but I want better battery life), and the graphics looks really good with FSR2.0 support. Game is now much more fun to play and I enjoy it immensely.

Overall, yeah, it's perfect for the deck.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I've not played Lost Judgment, but Judgment is one of those rare treats of a game that would be amazing to play on a handheld. There's so much content and you may not always be in front of your TV (or have access to it), so being able to just cloud sync your save to the Deck and pick up some of the fun side quests on a handheld is no doubt an amazing experience.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's interesting that Spike Chunsoft even has games in the Steam Deck event, and yet Valve still blocks the new Science Adventure game from being released, despite it hitting Switch and other platforms.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's interesting that Spike Chunsoft even has games in the Steam Deck event, and yet Valve still blocks the new Science Adventure game from being released, despite it hitting Switch and other platforms.
Yeah Valve really needs to do better on that front, hopefully they will with the push they are doing into Asia.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I wish valve could be little more precise than September - December! That’s a lot of months.
What's notable is, that this is also the expected date for new orders. That means Valve is confident it can deliver a Deck (at least here in Europe) to everyone within just 3 months. That's pretty impressive compared to the near year long wait for the initial batches. At this point I'm very confident Valve will be able to do proper worldwide release of the Steam Deck next year. (or at least make it available in far more markets, if they can find distribution partners).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What's notable is, that this is also the expected date for new orders. That means Valve is confident it can deliver a Deck (at least here in Europe) to everyone within just 3 months. That's pretty impressive compared to the near year long wait for the initial batches. At this point I'm very confident Valve will be able to do proper worldwide release of the Steam Deck next year. (or at least make it available in far more markets, if they can find distribution partners).
Yeah when I reordered they said that all new orders would get it before Christmas, and even after that they have improved production, so much so that even now new orders will get it this year.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Releasing the Deck in more markets at this point is now more a logistical than a supply problem. Clearly they will be able to meet demand in all released markets by the end of the year.

Fingers crossed for AU/NZ next.

Reactions: lashman and Gintaro

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Releasing the Deck in more markets at this point is now more a logistical than a supply problem. Clearly they will be able to meet demand in all released markets by the end of the year.

Fingers crossed for AU/NZ next.
I think for a future Deck successor, it will take far less time to go for worldwide release, since by that time, Valve will have regional partners and a better understanding of the demand and userbase.

FunnyJay