|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Oh no, wifi really is fucked on my deck, been reading all the potential solutions and tried all of them and none worked.:(
Are you on the latest versions?
You might also go the Desktop mode and see if you can make it work there.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Are you on the latest versions?
You might also go the Desktop mode and see if you can make it work there.
Yeah latests stable version, should I go for beta updates?

It seems stable now but its stuck on 2.4ghz so its slooooow. Not sure why it works, it used to do the same on that before but now been on for some time.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Tried some more demanding games, like Deaths Stranding and Resident Evil 2 Remake , and wow I have to say I'm quite impressed what this machine can do! Also happy that locked 40 doesn't feel too bad!
I think locked 30 is also quite good for games that don't feature action heavy combat. I'm playing Cold Steel III at 30 FPS, and nice to see the game barely go above 11W, and most often stay at 8W, essentially giving you somewhere between 4 to 5 hours of battery life.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Is there some easy to understand guide of all the different quality options and sliders in the quick menu?
Frame rate is easy to understand, but the others are total gibberish to me...

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Is there some easy to understand guide of all the different quality options and sliders in the quick menu?
Frame rate is easy to understand, but the others are total gibberish to me...
You are talking about the Performance tab of the Quick-Access menu? This video should cover the basics (it is timestamped):

If you have any questions, quote me and I will do my best to explain.m

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Great news and well deserved. The device seems to have gained a lot of momentum among gamers and the gaming industry, there are a lot of devs and game journalists tweeting about Steam Deck. Most importantly, almost everyone loves it. A brilliant move by Valve.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
What are you guys experience with the sleep mode?

I tested a game earlier today, played for like 10-15 minutes (nothing battery intensive) then turned off the game and put the deck into sleep mode.
I jacked in the charger and left the deck for maybe half an hour. When i came back, the charging light was off, so I unjacked the charger.

5 hours later I boot the Deck and the battery is now at 86%?

Either it didn't charge correctly or (what I think) quite a bit of battery was drawn from just sleeping in the Steam menu.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
What are you guys experience with the sleep mode?

I tested a game earlier today, played for like 10-15 minutes (nothing battery intensive) then turned off the game and put the deck into sleep mode.
I jacked in the charger and left the deck for maybe half an hour. When i came back, the charging light was off, so I unjacked the charger.

5 hours later I boot the Deck and the battery is now at 86%?

Either it didn't charge correctly or (what I think) quite a bit of battery was drawn from just sleeping in the Steam menu.
it does drain in sleep mode. i have my Deck in sleep mode all the time and it drains ... i should probably turn it off properly more often ;)
i think it also drains when at full power/plugged in, for battery longevity reasons

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I didn't test how much battery drains in sleep mode, but I can get several days of sleep time when fully charged. Not great, but not terrible either.

Reactions: FunnyJay

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Guy @ work got one and it's a pretty sweet little thing, nice and speedy and beautiful and premium feeling in pretty much every way, from the screen to the back buttons, and it's so light too. For the price you'd only get some shitty celeron laptop. I want that interface in Steam Big Picture already.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Here in the US the Steam Deck 64 GB was available for purchase directly but after a little while it went back to reservation.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Is anyone else getting huge shader cache updates? My Deck downloaded 6.9GB on shader cache for DMC 5 for example. That's a lot of shaders 😟

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t even love the Deck as much as I thought… and bought the Dock ASAP.
And good thing the whole process of selling it bores me because now that they have better availability I‘m of half a ming of buying the high end sku.
What would it be if I loved the Deck 🤣

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I don’t even love the Deck as much as I thought… and bought the Dock ASAP.
And good thing the whole process of selling it bores me because now that they have better availability I‘m of half a ming of buying the high end sku.
What would it be if I loved the Deck 🤣
I love the deck but didn't get the dock. Docking it means nothing to me lol. Just play on my main rig instead if I need to. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I love the deck but didn't get the dock. Docking it means nothing to me lol. Just play on my main rig instead if I need to. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
Yeah I kind of don’t get why everyone is getting the dock, don’t people have gaming pcs?

but yeah I can see if someone wants to connect to main tv and such.

personally I only want to use the deck as a portable, for those times when I want to take a break from the computer.
I couldn’t care less about the Dock as a PC, guys ! I just need a keyboard to save my soul when dealing with the linux side. That and I guess the gigabit ethernet.

Now that you mention it though, after all the shit gamepass and windows just threw at me… if I had more money I could see me buying an usb disk and using the Deck as my daily light use machine.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Yeah I kind of don’t get why everyone is getting the dock, don’t people have gaming pcs?

but yeah I can see if someone wants to connect to main tv and such.

personally I only want to use the deck as a portable, for those times when I want to take a break from the computer.
I use it as a living room console, I don't want to worry about batteries when playing in front of the TV, the dock is also useful at having wired networking and plugging periferals, like so:

I'm currently using a much smaller usb hub from Anker, but it's something I'll use regardless as ai can carry it around in trips, unlike the deck rock which is going to stay stationary

FunnyJay