|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Ever since my Steam Deck arrived, the Steam Deck compatability status is nearly as important to check on a game as the price during discounts! 😁
to me who mostly plays on a Linux laptop, its a godsent having Proton in the state that it is. The amount of games that work on Linux now compared to a couple years ago is simply amazing. I love it just for that, and really appreciate Valves effort in pushing Linux as a gaming platform.

(Having said that, I should play more on the Deck, its just that I vastly prefer a big screen and keyboard+mouse controls for almost everything. Still great to have it for when Im away tho)

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Is there a way to add languages in game mode?
I mean the same way you can add languages to locale-gen in desktop mode:
sudo pacman-key —init
sudo pacman-key —populate archlinux
sudo pacman -S glibc
but this does not add languages to locale file in game mode.
Even if you change language to your desired one in "game mode" settings some games like Castle of Illusion or original ghostbusters use defeault OS language (english in this case), but if you launch those games in desktop (if you have regenerated locale file adding languages you wanted your game launch in the language you added). Those games does not have languages options, so you have to play them in english.
You can force locale by adding
Code:
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 %command%
to game's parameters (substitute ja_JP.UTF8 for locale you want to enforce)

• Love
Reactions: LRB1983

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Anyone else sometimes having the problem of the Deck signing you out? I then can't log in because of a connection error and the QR for the mobile login also does not load. Happened to me twice in the last 24 hours.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Anyone else sometimes having the problem of the Deck signing you out? I then can't log in because of a connection error and the QR for the mobile login also does not load. Happened to me twice in the last 24 hours.
Having this issue right now.

Doesn’t help I’m in another country right now and the internet connections are not great.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Having this issue right now.

Doesn’t help I’m in another country right now and the internet connections are not great.
I've been having this issue on the Beta branch. I've tried switching to the Stable branch for now and you might need a new IP to re-login again since the beta branch login failures seem to block you with a "Too many attempts" error message.

Dec 5, 2018
This isn't really a deck problem, but I've been playing P5R on my PC and the Deck, and I had some suspicions so today I decided to test it. And for some reason the game cloud syncs the graphic settings. I'm not sure what's the point of syncing them (at least the display settings don't seem to sync).
It's not much problem since I only edit like two settings shadow resolution (that I read on PCGW that it might be bugged) and render scale.

But still I'd be nice if they weren't synced.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
This isn't really a deck problem, but I've been playing P5R on my PC and the Deck, and I had some suspicions so today I decided to test it. And for some reason the game cloud syncs the graphic settings. I'm not sure what's the point of syncing them (at least the display settings don't seem to sync).
It's not much problem since I only edit like two settings shadow resolution (that I read on PCGW that it might be bugged) and render scale.

You don’t really need to test it. You can go to the Remote Storage page on Steam and find the game and see what files are syncing.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Syncing settings is stupid IMHO.

Well, more precisely, if you wanted to do it really right, you'd have to split your settings storage into "player preferences" and "system preferences" and sync one and not the other. But failing that just not syncing them is much better as far as I am concerned

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I hope Valve will introduce missing cloud saves, as well as syncing resolution and graphics settings between devices as issues for Deck verification. Maybe that could give some developers incentives to get it right.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Why some games doesn't have Cloud Saves enabled in the first place boggles my mind.
I generally assume all of Square's work on Steam is done by their resident janitor, Hirojuki Ito.

And maybe he just didn't have enough time, until now, to click through the Web UIs needed to enable cloud saves (no idea how it's actually done, just spitballing here).
Maybe when on his break from cleaning the floors, he can finally get to finish uploading the Steam port of Kingdom Hearts. Time will tell.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
If it’s so easy to setup, maybe they should quickly fix it when they accidentally sync settings files.

Or maybe Valve should let us pick which files to sync as an advanced user setting.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019

MH Rise does this too, I stopped playing it on deck because it was annoying to have to switch between settings multiple times a day

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The left stick of my Deck makes a scratching noise when pushing it upwards, and I can feel something blocking the movement as well. People with similar issues are claiming that the wire going to the touch pad on the stick is causing this, but I don't have the necessary tools to open the Deck.

Perhaps I should contact Valve for repair, but how long would I have to miss my Deck? I'm using it every day...

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh, for the last few days, my deck hasn’t been able to reach steam servers upon wake up and I have to restart it. Each time.

Am I alone ?

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
The left stick of my Deck makes a scratching noise when pushing it upwards, and I can feel something blocking the movement as well. People with similar issues are claiming that the wire going to the touch pad on the stick is causing this, but I don't have the necessary tools to open the Deck.

Perhaps I should contact Valve for repair, but how long would I have to miss my Deck? I'm using it every day...
I had similar issue when I received my Deck. I opened it, but it was not a wire issue, but instead there was something inside the analog stick that made the scratching noises when I moved it upward. I sprayed it from every side with compressed air and the thing that was inside moved and now it only made that sound when I moved my analog down, which was slightly better. I used it like this for about a month and in that time that debris inside moved, because I could hear scratching noises when I moved analog in different direction so I opened the Deck again and sprayed it again and the issue was suddenly gone. It was like 3 months ago and it still works fine.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
crossposting from the Cheater's Corner thread, there's now a guide to run Aurora on Steam Deck (and I guess it works with linux in general)

I guess you can use the same method via steamtinkerlaunch (or Bottles, or Proton command arguments or whatever) to run Cheat Engine as well or similar software.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Don‘t know if it’s because my monitor doesn‘t support it of if this is part of the Samsung issues, but it not detecting the deck signal on the hdmi and auto switching kinda defeat the point of having multiple devices on it.
Sure, I can point the monitor to the signal, but I have a very limited faith in the durability of monitor buttons.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I was blogging about how my Deck is a dream come true Because I never really cared for mobile platforms due to concessions made for performance.

Realized that I own a buttload of (3)DS and Switch game that I have never played.

I will be looking into emulation for dummies. I have not tried emulating video games for about 10 years now.

• Gib

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
Don‘t know if it’s because my monitor doesn‘t support it of if this is part of the Samsung issues, but it not detecting the deck signal on the hdmi and auto switching kinda defeat the point of having multiple devices on it.
Sure, I can point the monitor to the signal, but I have a very limited faith in the durability of monitor buttons.
It happens sometimes even on my LG TV but I have an HDMI switches between the deck and the TV itself. Sometimes the deck do not send video signal after wake up, all It takes Is a Power off/Power on of the switch (Or the TV, i connected the switch itself on an USB on It)

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Man the linux side of the Deck is such an afterthought. Still the same fucking bug when nothing updates when there are too many flatpaks to update.
And on a more personal note, warpinator doesn't finds winpinator. Again.

I suppose I will have to use an ftp client ? In 2022.

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Decided to take the plunge and order a 1tb NVMe and a 1tb SD card for my Deck. I've started to find that the 256gb NVMe and 512gb SD card is not enough for my "Up Next" and "Playing" categories on Steam alongside my ROMs and the games I keep on always installed because I may play them at a whim.

Between 1tb NVMe and 1tb SD card I should have plenty storage for all this, and my Switch OLED will get a nice 512gb SD card upgrade in the process.

Just have to psyche myself up to open my Deck now.

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Decided to take the plunge and order a 1tb NVMe and a 1tb SD card for my Deck. I've started to find that the 256gb NVMe and 512gb SD card is not enough for my "Up Next" and "Playing" categories on Steam alongside my ROMs and the games I keep on always installed because I may play them at a whim.

Between 1tb NVMe and 1tb SD card I should have plenty storage for all this, and my Switch OLED will get a nice 512gb SD card upgrade in the process.

Just have to psyche myself up to open my Deck now.
I'm too chicken for that :blobclosecry:
But in an age where the average AA game is 30Gb, my 256gb is not enough.

• Toucan

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Anyone got Warhammer Vermintide 2 running in multiplayer on the Deck? I keep getting disconnects or being kicked by Easy Anti Cheat...

• Sad

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So I've finally worked out how to give Syncthing permissions to access all my EmuDeck emulator flatpaks, so now I can sync my emulator saves from my Deck to my Home Server and my Gaming PC, and back again.

This is, of course, pending my Gaming PC getting emulators installed and setup. Maybe that's my weekend project...

• Gib
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Man the linux side of the Deck is such an afterthought. Still the same fucking bug when nothing updates when there are too many flatpaks to update.
And on a more personal note, warpinator doesn't finds winpinator. Again.

I suppose I will have to use an ftp client ? In 2022.
The main branch (bleeding edge) has the latest version of KDE. So an update is thankfully coming. Still no KDE Connect though, but Discover doesnt shit the bed anymore.

Edit: Wait I am wrong!!! KDE Connect is available by default. Hopefully it will be pushed though the stable branch asap. That app is awesome not only for file sharing.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Was sitting in my gaming chair with my elbows on my knees while playing my deck. I moved and my hand slipped. Dropped right on the right bumper on the carpeted basement floor.

Now that bumper isn't as sensitive as it used to be. I have to hit it harder to activate or higher up on the bumper. I noticed this while achievement hunting in Ghost Song.

Sadage.

Edit: already looked at ifixit just to see how I could access it and take a look.

That's wayyyyy too many steps.

LionelInoe

Linux Advocate
Jul 13, 2022
I've been playing pikmin for the first time on my Deck on my trip to London at night when I'm winding down... It's been excellent!

I'm enjoying pikmin a lot too. Interesting twist on RTS games which I always liked, but never had a gamecube.

BTW, my ideal configuration right now is setting up emudeck with only Emulation Station added to the steam game overlay mode. This comes with the downside of having to change my controller configuration manually between consoles, but I might make a pull request to emulation station to allow for quickly isolating specific consoles so I can make individual launchers for each console.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I’m… not a fan of emulation on the Deck for now. It’s one little issue after another for me.

Right now I have to decide if I want to reinstall separate switch emus and suffer from possible complications, or use the emudeck ones where I can’t for the life of me access the emulator UI during play.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
From what I've seen Deck isn't powerful enough for most high end Switch games at native, never mind better settings, but others say theirs does it just fine, Idk.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There seem to have been a big update to the Preview Channel !
Rebased the OS on the latest version of Arch, trim re-enabled, update to the Dock, the changelog is really interesting.

Reactions: C-Dub