|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Then there’s the 120hz display. There is no way it’s ever gonna play a game at 120hz with the specs without having one of ASUS’s proprietary eGPUs clunked on to it.
Actually, I wouldn't mind a 120 Hz display for Deck 2.
60 fps games with BFI would sing on it, any 2D scrolling games on Deck 1 are painful to watch.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Questionable hardware aside, I kinda do hope the Ally becomes a success. Establishing this form factor for PC gaming was Valve's goal, ultimately.
But the device should be well-designed. If people buy this thing thinking the Deck is underpowered in comparison, then have a miserable experience thanks to the battery life and the fact that 120hz isn’t happening on the kinds of games they hope it will, it may cause more harm than good.

I’d hope that more restraint would be shown when making these things. I think a good price plus eGPU support is enough of a selling point on this - we don’t need a 1080p display or 120hz. It’s just setting bad expectations and the wrong sorts of precedent about what these handhelds should be.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
But the device should be well-designed. If people buy this thing thinking the Deck is underpowered in comparison, then have a miserable experience thanks to the battery life and the fact that 120hz isn’t happening on the kinds of games they hope it will, it may cause more harm than good.

I’d hope that more restraint would be shown when making these things. I think a good price plus eGPU support is enough of a selling point on this - we don’t need a 1080p display or 120hz. It’s just setting bad expectations and the wrong sorts of precedent about what these handhelds should be.
That's the job of good reviews. You'll know pretty quickly what games it can play, with what power draw and thus can conclude what battery life to expect. Maybe for some this will be something they mostly use to replace a lower-end gaming laptop and use it stationary most of the time and with only occasional use as a handheld that's not plugged in.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
A 120hz display and 1080p screen may seem like a giant waste...but at the end of the day its better to have the option than not.

There are so many indie games on Steam that can easily push 120fps with this set up. Forget the 1080p...I would just play everything at 720p regardless. But that 120fps option is massive.

Just take Rogue Legacy 2 from last year as an example.

With the Deck I played it at locked 60fps with 4-5hrs of battery life.

With the Ally I would be able to play it 120fps with lets say 2-3hrs of battery life. And lets be real 2-3hrs gaming a day is plenty of time before you can start charging it again. The smoother experience will always be worth it. And again its all about having the option.

There is a lot of overhead on the Deck today and you can't really make use of it in handheld mode. And its not just indie games either its any old game pre 2014 that would be able to push 120fps assuming they weren't capped. A 120hz display is gonna be a must for the Deck 2 so I hope Valve doesn't cheapen out in favor of cost cutting or wtvr. I don't really care about the display resolution and I'm not familiar with current battery tech. But unless some big improvement is coming on the horizon its probably just better to leave it 720p for the Deck 2. Unless Valve is able to find millions of 900p display somewhere ofc. I would love to see how the battery life would do with that.

But yea I'm not gonna buy the Ally. Its probably gonna be at least like 700$ after tax and its just too much. Still I'm excited to see the benchmarks with the Ally and I hope people turn down the rez to 900p to see how it performs with the battery life. It might just be a good compromise/solution to not have the battery life die too quickly.

Reactions: Hamlock

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You don't release that shit before July Valve !
I have... a GPU to pay :grimacing-face:

Before anyone conclude otherwise, I'm joking and know that it's not a Deck 2 or even a revision yet.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Looking at getting a Deck, but kicking myself I missed the birthday discount. When’s the next major sale? Summer? Not sure if I want to cling to the hope that there’s a discount on it again if I’m waiting that long.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Looking at getting a Deck, but kicking myself I missed the birthday discount. When’s the next major sale? Summer? Not sure if I want to cling to the hope that there’s a discount on it again if I’m waiting that long.
I wouldn't count on Deck being discounted each major sale if I were you.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
If the leaked ROG Ally price (699 for the "Z1 Extreme" model) is correct, that's very competitive and lower than I expected.

Still not sold on the ergonomics or the battery life impact of the HW choices, but that's a nice price.
It's an extremely competitive price. I wonder if Valve will respond in any meaningful way, such as a Deck price cut.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
It's an extremely competitive price. I wonder if Valve will respond in any meaningful way, such as a Deck price cut.
Doubt, if anything the best way for them to compete would be to expand into more regions with a combined announcement between SteamOS 3.6, SteamOS standalone release AND the region expansion.

Deck's price I think it's quite perfect so not really need to lower it down too often as it would create false expectations and perception of the main price.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think they won't reduce the entry-level price (most likely by far the hardest to hit), and they probably don't have enough of an incentive to reduce the price of the higher-end models either. I could potentially see the latter happening though, but not by much. Perhaps we are also more likely to see a moderate discount in future Steam sales if there is more viable competition.

But there isn't really for the base model, and it's also the one which is at best barely profitable.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I wonder if Valve really sees this as "competition". They aren't in the business of making money from selling hardware. They are in the business of being the place where you buy the games to play on whatever hardware you may have. Even with Gamepass, and other services, a big chunk of Ally owners will still want to play their Steam games on there.
I guess having more SteamOS users is also a long term goal, since it ensures that Steam is less dependant on Windows as a platform. To make that happen they would need to work on making Steam OS easily available on more devices, though.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The other thing about making it a console-game-focused Windows device is a number of those games appear to run better on Linux than on Windows nowadays thanks to questionable optimization and engine wonkery.

I'd never buy a PC handheld without trackpads after using the Steam deck, and honestly the battery life is my only complaint so far (performance wise if you sacrifice the battery you can have great graphics on the screen), so while options are nice I just don't see the Ally being a great one for the masses.

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
I purchase the steam deck today and seller help me install window for dual boot
After I install a game got the following error when I boot up my deck
How do I fix this? I am still able to boot into Steam OS if I press on Volume Up and power button

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
When the Deck has so much influence on the industry that MICROSOFT wants in on your platform.

My goodness!

I just came in here to say that I now have remote play from my PS5 to my Deck using Chiaki or something like that. And I loaded EmuDeck, but I have not uploaded any bios or roms yet. That sounds time consuming, dragging and dropping from USB to each folder.

Really, just wanna play some Mario Galaxy (2) on Dolphin, but I have not downloaded any ROMS in like, 10 years and wouldn't even know where to find that kind of stuff anymore.

And I'm not gonna be arsed to dust off my copies of Mario Galaxy and trying to rip them. Those days are behind me.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I purchase the steam deck today and seller help me install window for dual boot
After I install a game got the following error when I boot up my deck
How do I fix this? I am still able to boot into Steam OS if I press on Volume Up and power button

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image
You could try just selecting the "repair" option (you'd have to connect a USB keyboard I assume), but if you really want to get a Windows experience out of it you'd probably be best off getting into a more technical dedicated forum because Windows is going to be janky and buggy on the Deck until there's official support for it. Many games run faster or at least as fast in Linux/Proton anyway at the moment so it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

There is a dedicated subreddit for it: r/WindowsOnDeck

Keep in mind that people trying to use Windows on Deck is probably less than 1% so there are going to be way fewer resources

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
When the Deck has so much influence on the industry that MICROSOFT wants in on your platform.

My goodness!
Im note sure if this was adressed in this thread (I think it was mostly discussed in the main Steam thread): this report is a bit misleading.
Since this isnt in active development. It was a hackathon project that never went anywhere, according to the dev.

He posted on Reddit:

I started this hackathon project and it didn’t go much of anywhere, but this article uses wording to make it seem like it’s something under development. Problem is - We just didn’t have the right engineers to do a lot of what we wanted to do in the short hackathon project timeframe. Maybe this odd article can help me pitch this to Microsoft again. Phil Spencer was very nice and tried to drive me to some people that could help, but everyone was tied-up at the time.

The goals would be to smooth over hardware issues (real controller drivers, better support for that odd portrait screen, etc), a gaming shell and tools to get you in and out of all games quickly (regardless of the store), and other refinements to areas of Windows that still don’t perform very well on a screen this size.
Source & more: reddit

FunnyJay