Reviews Wargroove reviews are out

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
Woke up to the reviews and the aggregate score. I am pretty excited to see them. It's been far too long. If any of you haven't heard the OST yet, it's amazing. Furthermore, if any of you agree and want that shit on vinyl, go get it.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
We do.

Hit the purple copy icon in the social share row.
ok, let's see ...

---

Game Information

Game Title: Wargroove

Platforms:
  • Xbox One (Feb 1, 2019)
  • PC (Feb 1, 2019)
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 1, 2019)
Trailer:
Developer: Chucklefish

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 89% recommended

Critic Reviews

NintendoWorldReport - Jordan Rudek - 9.5 / 10
Wargroove offers a robust and content-laden package that turn-based strategy fans will adore.

Game Informer - Suriel Vazquez - 9.3 / 10
Wargroove offers several ways to get your turn-based strategy fix, whether it's playing through an hours-long campaign, creating your own scenarios, or playing online

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 9 / 10
As far as strategy games are concerned on the Switch, Wargroove is one of the best titles you can find on the eShop. Extremely deep and diverse strategy gameplay, ridiculous amounts of replayability, and charming presentation all combine to make this one an easy recommendation to anybody looking for a deep and cerebral experience for their Switch.

TechRaptor - Austin Suther - 9 / 10
Wargroove is the turn-based tactics game you've been waiting for. It looks wonderful and sounds amazing, but it also plays so well. The strategy layer is deep but simple to learn. With several different modes in single player and multiplayer, there is something for both hardcore and newcomers of the genre.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4.5 / 5
The wait has been worth it; Wargroove is absolutely a must-play title for fans of the genre and just Switch owners in general.

Destructoid - Patrick Hancock - 9 / 10
There's a lot to love with Wargroove. I definitely have my qualms with some of the campaign mission design and plot, there is so much here to love. I can't say that it's a completely innovate entry into the genre, but I think it's safe to say that Wargroove is a title that needs to be in every turn-based strategy lover's catalog.

GameSpace - William Murphy - 9 / 10
Wargroove is the best turn-based strategy RPG that's come out in ages. With a near limitless content pool, a solid single-player campaign, and addictive multiplayer options, it should be around and entertaining its fans for years. Here's hoping it's the start of a new franchise, because I already want more.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 9 / 10
In a world bereft of a new Advance Wars, Wargroove is a worthy successor. Its fantasy retro strategy stylings mark it out as a wonderful amalgamation of the classic Fire Emblem and Wars games, and while it doesn't revolutionise the genre in the way that the modern Fire Emblem games have it nails the feel of Intelligent System's best games – while standing proudly on its own.

COGconnected - Scott Sullivan - 90 / 100
For those who are eager for a new turn-based tactics game that succeeds at trying something new, or for those who have been keeping an eye on this game like I have over the past few years, Wargroove is immensely satisfying and certainly doesn’t seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Daily Dot - AJ Moser - 4.5 / 5 stars
From all angles, this is an experience you can truly tailor to do just what you want it to. Chucklefish has packed this game so full with meaningful experiments—and things that are worth seeing.

Star News - Rod Oracheski - 4.5 / 5
Wargroove will leave Advance Wars’ long-forgotten fans beside themselves with joy.

IGN Spain - Ángel Llamas - Spanish - 8.9 / 10
Wargroove is going to become in its own right the spiritual successor of Advance Wars.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8.5 / 10
Wargroove is the game fans of tactical role-playing games have been waiting for. The huge amount of content and play modes, solid gameplay almost completely devoid of RNG and excellent presentation make it a game that no fan of the genre should pass on.

Critical Hit - Darryn Bonthuys - 8.5 / 10
Visually charming, deliciously deep and packed with extra content, Wargroove is a strategy experience that works comfortably at home or on the move.

IGN - Tom Marks - 8.5 / 10
Wargroove's brain-teasing tactics and impressive level editor make it the Advance Wars successor fans have been waiting for.

EGM - Michael Goroff - 8.5 / 10
Wargroove might be the least original game I've played in a long time, but it offers fans of the Advance Wars series something we've been lacking for a while. Thankfully, Wargroove does add enough subtle variations on Advance Wars' formula to create its own niche, and multiplayer is much easier than convincing your other friend with a Game Boy Advance to buy their own copy. Even if you're playing alone, there's plenty to see and do, as long as you're willing to learn some hard lessons along the way.

CGMagazine - Cole Watson - 8.5 / 10
Wargroove is a deeply engaging strategy game that has the potential to continue to thrive and develop for years to come with a dedicated playerbase of creators

Gameblog - Julien Inverno - French - 8 / 10
It took a decade for the vacuum left by the absence of Advance Wars to be filled, not by a new game in the series but by Wargroove, an independent title that has all its qualities. The difference is the tone and look, the fantasy world rather than the military too, but for the rest, Wargroove is the turn-based tactical game that fans of the genre were waiting for, especially on Nintendo Switch obviously.

GameSpot - Chris Pereira - 8 / 10
Wargroove doesn't shy away from its Advance Wars inspiration, but it proves to be much more than a mere copycat.

USgamer - Kat Bailey - 4 / 5 stars
Wargroove takes a classic formula and repurposes it for a more traditional swords-and-sorcery fantasy setting (with battlepups). With its large number of modes and impressive suite of creation tools, it's almost enough to fill the Advance Wars-sized hole in our heart.

Game Revolution - Alex Santa Maria - 4 / 5 stars
Unlike a lot of indie-level titles, Wargroove is truly fully featured. It's got a solid story mode, but that's just the start. The side modes and especially the map editor give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10
The best Advance Wars game never made and while there are a few flaws there's also plenty of new ideas and a mountain of extra content.

DualShockers - Max Roberts - 8 / 10
Wargroove: Who is it good for? Absolutely everyone!

Reno Gazette-Journal - Cameron Duren - 8 / 10
Wargroove is a fantastic game in the turn-based, tactical RPG genre and a great starting point for anyone who has never played such games before. It also has a high skill ceiling for those who consider themselves experts.

PC Gamer - Malindy Hetfeld - 78 / 100
Brimming character and imagination, Wargroove occasionally loses its groove over long-winded core gameplay.

PCGamesN - Jeremy Peel - 6 / 10
Chucklefish's strategy tribute does nothing worse than Advance Wars, and little better - instead, it's exactly what it needs to be to spiritually succeed. It's small, in both character models and design ambition, but it's probably going to be massive. Despicable.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - No Recommendation / Blank
Care, generosity and love have gone into this attempt to recreate some legendary tactics games, but is it enough?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Brendan Caldwell - Unscored
In summary, it’s good and I like it.

GameXplain - Liked-a-lot
Video Review - Quote not available
---

not bad ... not bad, at all! :)

so ... is there any chance you'll maybe consider doing one specifically for xenforo as well? mostly for convenience ... and i suppose it would be nice to have something that would automatically update once more reviews start to roll in ... just an idea :)

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
I read a couple of reviews yesterday and it looks really good. Seeing levels can be shared cross platform I'll most likely pick up the Switch version instead of Steam. This is a game I want to play handheld and also just have running on the Switch so I can pick it up and instantly play it.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I think the best thing about it is that a lot of non-strategy fans will be able to get into it who are otherwise intimidated by the genre.
So glad it got good scores because it means these people are more likely to get it.

The best features it has are the cross play and map editor. That alone has convinced me.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I really wanted to get into Wargroove as i loved Advanced Wars but it just didnt quite do it for me. I think I prefer the military theme of Advance Wars over the more fantasy setting of Wargroove.

Great game though if you like turn based tactic stuff. Loads of content too.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
still catching up to the newsies and trailersies ... last week left now
yeah, i noticed :p lots and lots of new threads ;)

you should probably post those (the links to them, i mean) in the steam thread as well - so people actually notice them :p lol