News WB Interactive and Turtle Rock Announce “Back 4 Blood”

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT AND TURTLE ROCK STUDIOS ANNOUNCE “BACK 4 BLOOD”

Next-gen Co-operative FPS from Zombie Video game Visionaries to Propel Beloved Genre Forward

BURBANK, CA – March 14, 2019 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Turtle Rock Studios today announced Back 4 Blood, from the creators and development team behind the critically acclaimed, co-op phenomenon Left 4 Dead. Back 4 Blood is designed from the ground-up as an original, premium title and marries the best of what made the co-op zombie shooter so successful with new features and state-of-the-art technology.

“We are thrilled to partner with the proven Turtle Rock Studios team on Back 4 Blood to advance the co-op zombie genre forward with innovative multiplayer gameplay,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The talented team at Turtle Rock has been developing amazing games together for a long time, and this is a great opportunity to work with them to create a new gaming universe built specifically with the large co-op zombie shooter community in mind.”

“It’s hard to overstate what an awesome opportunity this is. We get to return to a genre that was born in our studio with over ten years of additional experience and zombie ideas racked up in our brains,” said Chris Ashton, Co-founder and Design Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We also have some of the best teammates in the business at WBIE who understand our development process and are equally committed to our player-first mentality. We love being able to announce, so we can start working with the community right away.”

“We are not resting on any past laurels. Our goal is to take all we’ve learned and push forward. We know that’s a tall order,” said Phil Robb, Co-founder and Creative Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We’re growing the team considerably because we’re stepping up to the biggest challenge in this studio’s history. We know this title has to stand out and we fully intend to make that happen.”
FAQ

What is Back 4 Blood?

• Back 4 Blood is a co-op zombie FPS with new features we aren’t ready to talk about just yet, but keep your eyes peeled for all news on our official Discord 4.
How are you planning to succeed against recent and upcoming AAA zombie and co-op shooters?
  • We are going back to our roots and at the same time innovating on them. We know we have some big shoes to fill, but we’re going all out to surpass everything we’ve done before
What’s the story / lore surrounding this game?
  • We will release more information on that as time goes on. Right now we are just excited to tell our community what we have been working on!
What platforms will Back 4 Blood be on?
  • We are currently focusing on PC, XBOX One and PlayStation 4. More possibilities aren’t out of the question though.
What happened to your other game / partnership?
  • We can’t get into details but both parties decided to move on.
How much is it going to cost?
  • We haven’t locked down a price point yet, but the game will be a premium, AAA title.
Will this game have microtransactions?
  • Right now, we’re focusing on making the best, most fun and exciting game we can. We’ll figure out the post-launch stuff later, but if we do have paid post-launch content, like microtransactions, we want to do something that the community feels good about.
Is this Left 4 Dead 3?!
  • No. Back 4 Blood is our own brand new, original IP. You’ll be able to shoot up a lot of zombies like in Left 4 Dead, but there’s a whole lot of new stuff in Back 4 Blood which makes it unique.
When is the release date?
Is this game going to be a Battle Royale game?
  • No.
Will there be PVP?
  • Yes!
Will there be a campaign?
  • Yes!
Where is Evolve 2? How dare you!
  • 2K owns the rights to Evolve and our contract to work on the game expired back in 2016. Please contact 2K for all Evolve related questions.
Will there be founders packs or pre-order deals?
  • It’s still early in development and our number one goal is to make a great, complete, fun game so we are focusing on that.
When will the community get to play?
With so little to tell us, why are you announcing now?
  • Back 4 Blood is a hugely ambitious project and we need the best of the best to come join us. As an independent studio, we have to announce early to let our industry know we’re up to something big. If you are in the video game business and you are looking to make real contributions to a brand new AAA IP developed in Southern California, check us out. Our job listings are here with more to come in the next year: https://www.turtlerockstudios.com/careers 1.
    We also want to hear from you all about what you think about the games we’ve made in the past and what you are looking forward to in the future. We love getting to know and interact with our community and the sooner we can do that, the better!

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
So left4dead 3 I take it without reading any of the material posted (which I will now do)

€: yep

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if this is their VR game or something separate. Well, it's probably separate as they'd likely announce the VR game with Oculus, not WB.

I hope their VR game is something with a good budget and scope like this and not another short experiment. Weird as it is VR lacks a good zombie shooter.

Edit: yeah I forgot they had actually talked about their VR game saying it's something Zelda-ish in style (probably not in scope and awesomeness).

It should be revealed at GDC either way so, we'll see :)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So left4dead 3 I take it without reading any of the material posted (which I will now do)

€: yep
yup, pretty much

I wonder if this is their VR game or something separate. Well, it's probably separate as they'd likely announce the VR game with Oculus, not WB.

I hope their VR game is something with a good budget and scope like this and not another short experiment. Weird as it is VR lacks a good zombie shooter.
yeah, seems to be separate

AxeVince

Dev of some games
Sep 6, 2018
Got a colleague who went there to work. Guess the game looks pretty great, crossing my fingers for this.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Got a colleague who went there to work. Guess the game looks pretty great, crossing my fingers for this.
ohh, sweet! :D and yeah - sounds good to me ... pretty much L4D3 really ;) haha

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I have L4D2 on my Steam account, but I never played it for some reason. Had lots of fun with Killing Floor 2 tho, some I'm always in the mood for a good co-op zombie shooter. I hope this one will be one a storefront that I want to support.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
although, it seems to be a good few years off anyway ... who knows what happens during all that time
Well I'm constantly talking about Apex Legends to anyone I know who plays Fortnite, so I'm doing my part! :)

Two years later: back 4 blood 12 months exclusive on Origin ^^

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
But Paradox always supports all platforms... :oops:
not for this game ... unfortunately :(

i mean - it's just a rumour ... but i wouldn't be surprised ... especially since Sergey retweeted that PDXCon announcement ... he wouldn't do that "just because" - he doesn't even play games like that (grand strategy etc.) ... so ... you know ...

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

i mean - it's just a rumour ... but i wouldn't be surprised ... especially since Sergey retweeted that PDXCon announcement ... he wouldn't do that "just because" - he doesn't even play games like that (grand strategy etc.) ... so ... you know ...
Better to kill the potential for hype of this is the case I guess

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Another indication may be that Paradox teamed up with Microsoft to provide an alternative platform for modding...

yeah, that's why i'm preparing people for the news :(
How can anyone prepare for such a sad news? :(

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Another indication may be that Paradox teamed up with Microsoft to provide an alternative platform for modding...
possibly ... but if it was going to be console exclusive for Xbone - MS would let them release on steam etc.

so i doubt it's that

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
possibly ... but if it was going to be console exclusive for Xbone - MS would let them release on steam etc.

so i doubt it's that
I don't think Paradox made an exclusivity deal with Microsoft. But they may have worked with them to build a modding platform that isn't depending on Steam.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
As long as said Vampire game is only a timed exclusive i'll pick it up when it's out of Epic-Access. I'm already resigned to 2019 being a backlog year with 2020 being fantastic when all these games are set free in a much better state after a year of polish.

I'm just hoping that EGS doesn't demand Epic accounts for them even on Steam/GOG when they release them.