Opinion Weird Gaming Habits

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I wondering what kind of weird gaming habits you all have? I mean habits that you do in or on the game and not necessarily that you have to have your socks inside out to be able to enjoy open world games for example.

For me, I used to do it much more in the past but not so much anymore, but I've started doing it again little bit, but I often shut of the music in games! I find it more immersive, unless it games sense in the game world where there is a radio or something like that. I'm in the camp that games should be virtual worlds and not interactive movies so music doesn't fit in that sense.:D

Reactions: lashman

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I don't know if I'd call it weird, but when I'm absorbed in a game world, I find myself behaving in ways to reinforce that feeling. This occurs with RPGs most of all.

• Closing doors because it makes sense in context.
  • Walking instead of running because the latter would feel out of place in certain social situations.
  • Pacing out quests and other activities based on what I believe is more natural. Doing certain quests back-to-back, or together in one game day can feel artificial.
  • Avoiding fast-travel unless it makes sense in the game-world. Silt Striders are fine. Opening a map to essentially teleport somewhere is not.
These and other things contribute to my final playtime being considerably higher than the average.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Like above I'll do a few things if it feels like the right social construct, but I don't hold myself too strongly on it. I turn off light switches when I leave rooms in some games, for example. I have walked when it seemed more appropriate but that definitely depends on the game.

I made a very popular thread (I think it had one or two replies) about purposely being an asshole to characters in a game despite the game not being programmed to react to it if I feel the NPC deserves it. If a character is rude I'll pick up things and toss them around, break windows, etc. Whatever the game allows that seems like it would inconvenience the NPC I tend to do. Sometimes the only option is stuff like opening every door in their home. So be it, I'll feel better knowing if they were real they'd be mildly annoyed.

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
In branching metroidvania games where I come across two different directions to go, I will start one, wipe out the majority of the enemies on the screen (even if they respawn) and then start the other. And I almost always stick with the other to its conclusion.

Just did it in Blasphemous and the worst part is that the first path had a much more interesting-looking setting then the one I'm on.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I like to progress through dozens of games simultaneously. It's incredibly rare that I'll play any singular game from start to finish without playing something else (or likely many different games) between.

It's a bit less about the quality of the game and more my moods and the rate in which I get bored of things. Not quite ADHD but maybe if games were built for big brain IQs like myself I wouldn't have this problem.

Erekiddo

Dec 31, 2018
I have a gaming quirk but it comes from my childhood and my mother's tendencies.

Whenever we'd get a new game or rent one from the local video store, my Mom would require my brother and I to do two things before we played.:
  • Read the manual in its entirety so "we knew how to play the game"
  • Clean our rooms.
To this day I still straighten up my room whenever I'm about to play a new game.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I don't know if this is a weird habit, but I save my game often, in different save slots, at every opportunity. So if an RPG has 500 save slots, you bet I'll go through all 500 slots twice or more before I finish that game. Consequently, I feel uneasy if a game only has limited save slots (less than 5).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I don't know if I'd call it weird, but when I'm absorbed in a game world, I find myself behaving in ways to reinforce that feeling. This occurs with RPGs most of all.

• Closing doors because it makes sense in context.
  • Walking instead of running because the latter would feel out of place in certain social situations.
  • Pacing out quests and other activities based on what I believe is more natural. Doing certain quests back-to-back, or together in one game day can feel artificial.
  • Avoiding fast-travel unless it makes sense in the game-world. Silt Striders are fine. Opening a map to essentially teleport somewhere is not.
These and other things contribute to my final playtime being considerably higher than the average.
Are you me? These are the kind of immersive things I tend to do as well. I also try to approach the world and locations the way the developers and artists intended, trying to wring out every bit of cinematic and powerful feeling out of the game as I can.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I can think of 2 weird habits that I'd like to shake off:
  • On RPGs I quicksave a LOT, to a point I usually quicksave every minute or when I'm about interact with something like a NPC or a door or chest.
  • I have to pick up every goddamn collectable/shinny there is to collect even if that means undoing my progress. Imagine climbing a mountain and then felling compelled to go back because you looked down and you spotted an item at it's base...

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
In Gone Home and Tacoma I acted like I was snooping through someone's stuff IRL... Like, I would rummage through people's stuff but try and put it back as neatly as possible.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I can't play more than one singleplayer game at once, i need to finish the plot of a game before starting another, which makes beating my backlog a daunting task.

Also in the past, whenever i bought a strategy game i called my grandpa to tell him what the game was about, even when he got too old to play, since he was a huge enthusiast of strategy gaming even if he couldnt understant it 100%. It sounds silly but even when he passed away I still share my Steam library with his account and I take a lot of screenshots whenever I play a new strategy game thinking "he would like this".

Ok, on a lighter note a lot of times i just turn off in game music to play my metal collection :smiling-face-with-horns:

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
I make sure I go through every dialogue option available. If I die, I go through every option once again, even if I rush through it the second time, I make sure I activate it just to let the game know I explored that choice or something idk