Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 10 of 2024)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I have been slowly going through the DLC case of Ace Attorney 5. Interesting premise, unusual defendant, and how the case steadily unfold bit by bit, this is an outstanding case in the AA franchise. Just reached the second jury session and I am excited to go through it asap.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Ace attorney trilogy: nearly done with the 3rd case of AA3.
Still messing online with Tekken 8, a bit salty that the game has some shader caching at the beginning of matches

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Slowly advancing in Yakuza 0.

I have a general issue with open games where I tend to play everything the game throws at me and not moving enough in the main quest for them to be interesting, and yeah, with how shock full of shit the series is, it's a big risk. Not happened for now, but bruh, I spent two days just doing chapter 3 side quests.
Related, I don't even know when to advance the story. The game doesn't telegraph what will or won't be available if I advance, so it's a little frustrating.

I guess it's a good training to stop caring about everything and just play as I want.

I couldn't even 100% it anyway, as the disco minigame is clearly a hate crime.

Once you get past the tonal whiplash between main and side quests, and the debatable quality of the first few the game throws at you, they are overall well written and really enjoyable.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Played the first part of Honkai Impact 2.0. New story premise and cast seem promising so far.
More Astlibra. In Chapter 7 now. Game swings wildly between highs and lows tbh. Story is interesting for the most part, but pretty much all the female character writing is bottom of the barrel garbage. Puzzles are obtuse garbage for the most part too. Really only the actual gameplay and progression are consistently great, at least.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Played the first part of Honkai Impact 2.0. New story premise and cast seem promising so far.
More Astlibra. In Chapter 7 now. Game swings wildly between highs and lows tbh. Story is interesting for the most part, but pretty much all the female character writing is bottom of the barrel garbage. Puzzles are obtuse garbage for the most part too. Really only the actual gameplay and progression are consistently great, at least.
Seems more and more likely that I dropped AstLibra personally, but that may be a personal issue more than anything. I tend to get bored of games more quickly than in the past, and by the start of chapter 4 (?) I was all 'this is all well and good, great gameplay loop, but I think I've seen all that the game has to offer'.
Bummer.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Seems more and more likely that I dropped AstLibra personally, but that may be a personal issue more than anything. I tend to get bored of games more quickly than in the past, and by the start of chapter 4 (?) I was all 'this is all well and good, great gameplay loop, but I think I've seen all that the game has to offer'.
Bummer.
Yeah, it really comes down to how much you like the gameplay loop. It doesn't really change much, but personally I really enjoy finding new equipment, learning new skills and moving across the Force bord.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It's all about FF7 Rebirth though I haven't been able to play as much as I've wanted due to health issues. But that is pretty much all I'm playing when I do play anything. I haven't even made it to the chocobo ranch yet so I'm still only touching the surface of this but just like with 7R you can feel the love and care they put into this down to the tiniest details like random NPC convos.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've played over 12 hours of Trails to Azure this weekend.

I hope to write some more coherent thoughts for the review thread, but I feel like starting from the big events at the end of chapter 3 it has some of the greatest sequences of story beats in the franchise, and most JRPGs really. What I also really enjoy is how it mixed up the gameplay and mechanics between chapter 4, the "Fragments" intermezzo, and the finale.

The way in which things are not the same any more is, I believe, more impactful because they were the same for so long, which gives all the little sidequests and intermissions in the rest of the game more meaning.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I got back into Forza Horizon 4. I had played a lot of it back when I had Game Pass, then I bought it on Steam and I've been working through the various races and challenges. I'm not a racing guy, the only games in the genre that interested me were the older NFS games, but Forza Horizon is almost the perfect arcade racer. I would love a more structured campaign but I am having lots of fun anyway.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Did 26 hours of FF7 Rebirth last weekend, no regrets.

The open world gameplay has gotten a little long in the tooth after said playtime, but it's all worth it for the story sequences and minigames.

This was a game specifically designed to elicit pure joy out of fans of the original FF7, and as a member of that group I'm completely defenseless. It's also a welcome return of wacky, minigame packed old school Square, long overdue IMO.

Is it an amazing game gameplay wise if you're not an open world fan? No, not really... its good but not revolutionary.
Is it still fucking awesome despite its warts? Hell yes!!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started The Inheritance of Crimson Manor earlier today. It's a bit of amateurish feeling in technical sense, no way to rebind any keys and it seems that to access the option to adjust mouse sensitivity you need to quit to main menu. A bit weird.

But I'm digging the vibes so far.

Reactions: C-Dub and Cacher

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Mass Effect 2 (Legendary) and now on to Mass Effect 3 and Warhammer 40k Boltgun.

Boltgun is pretty good, finished the first chapter, first third of the game (8 levels). Not the sort of game I can just mainline all the way through, 1 to 2 levels at a time is enough.