Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 13 of 2023)

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I have been uber busy the past few weeks, so my game time is limited.

Paranormasight: Really enjoying this, almost to the end (I think), but it is about the only thing I have been able to play and hop in and out of.

Resident Evil 4: If this week is not too busy, I may play this some more. Kinda wished I waited to pick it up in hindsight.

I feel a VN streak coming along that I think I might try to plow through my huge backlog of VNs as I have been in the mood and they are easy to hop in and out of.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
I have a bad habit of jumping around from game to game so it'll be quite a few but
  • Soul Hackers 2 - Yep I'm still playing this one. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end of the game now, as I have
    now acquired all of the covenants. To be honest I'm a little confused by the fight with Raven, as the game already established they can transfer covenants without having to actually kill people. Raven dying was a waste in my opinion. Even if he didn't want to give it up willingly its still weird to me.
    Beyond that I'm having a good time and I am so excited to be done with this game. Its long overstayed its welcome although I must say I really appreciate that its just very adult? The characters make this game. Everyone's got so much meat and baggage to them.
  • Sonic 06 - I started playing this after beating Adventure 1 and 2 and surprisingly I'm enjoying it! I don't think it deserves the flak it gets, though the loading times are truly egregious. It is bizarre that anytime you take a quest there's a loading screen for a line of dialogue, and then another loading screen for the actual quest. The game allows dialogue without cutscenes; why do this????? The game is really gorgeous and high stakes though, the music is great, the amount of playable characters is massive, Silver's route is basically Control, and Shadow's route feels like Shadow the Hedgehog part 2 and as someone who is very nostalgic for that game I'm here for it. It also just feels really good to run around and I love the large hub area with tons of side quests!
  • Edge of Eternity - this feels like an indie lovechild of Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade Chronicles. Aspects of the art design and environment design along with little mechanics like the Hunt board feel like the developers loved those games and wanted to make something like it, and, despite the animations in cutscenes leaving a lot to be desired, I'd say it delivers! The grid based combat makes it fun to maneuver around enemies in between the usual turn based battle system. I'm not sure why its ATB at all though because it doesn't really function like an ATB game - despite having bars that fill up the enemy isn't going to attack until after you do. It may as well be a normal turn based game with limited grid movement. Story goes hard really fast though.
  • Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - this game's opening is basically the anime film Summer Wars. Its pretty fun still! Not much to say as I'm really early on but I think digivolving and devolving is a neat mechanic and I'm surprised at how much there is to keep up with in terms of having an advantage over enemy mons.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Still only playing One Piece Odyssey. Barely made any more progress these past few days. Been quite the busy week. Besides spending most of the past two days jailbreaking all the 3DS systems I have (Which was glorious. Fuck you Nintendo) It probably doesn't help that a majority of my little free time is spent doing other stuff!

Watching anime :evilblob:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I went through some difficult weeks, moral-wise, so little to no gaming.
I’m delighted to say that as of yesterday I resumed my P5R playthrough. And I’m also relatively hooked to Mighty Doom. It’s no game of anything, but for a mobile game it gets the job done pretty well.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
So I am playing Resident Evil 4 remake, which (being 4 hours and three chapters in) I am finding to be fantastic. Just super fun, great graphics, amazing optimization.

I finished the Ubisoft horrible PC port of the original back in the day and found it to be a good game, although from the hype I probably expected more.

I actually reinstalled the improved HD PC port of the original yesterday to compare. And I gotta say. The tank controls are so freaking bad it's actually hilarious how clunky it is compared to remake. I get that it is a legendary game, but damn.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Juggling too much at the moment.

I'm into the castle on a Hardcore run of Resident Evil 4 (2023). I'm enjoying it, but I have criticisms. I think I may do a replay of the 2005 version afterwards for comparison. The remake feels clunky in a lot of ways, but I don't remember the original well enough to know if this is just how it plays, or if some of the changes here are a bit wack.

I'm 30 missions into Yggdra Union. It keeps throwing unfair garbage at me, and it's starting to grate. Mission 29 interrupts your turn when you step on a specific square to spawn a mob of axe users surrounding you. Not fun for my spear unit who was caught out of formation and immediately died. It forces a lot of save scumming.

I started up Valkyrie Elysium again. I bought this a sale ago, then refunded it because it felt so underwhelming. But Wanted: Dead, from the same devs, impressed me so much that I decided to pick it up again and give it another chance. So far, I think that was a good decision. The game is rough and doesn't leave a good first impression, but I'm finding a lot to like about the combat system as I dig into it.

Also still chugging through Steelrising and Bonfire Peaks, and have also replayed Pizza Tower like 3 times, and will probably do at least a few more this week. Once you've got the hang of it, it's a real comfort-food type of game to just rush through in a couple hours.

I have a preorder on The Last of Us Part I, but with all this stuff on my plate, I'm not sure I'll bother starting it this week.