Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 2 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, so let's do this! What are you playing?

I am continuing my journey in Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition. Although this is a remake of the original game on the SNES, there is a few design choices that tell you this is an old game (as well as the very first Tales of title). For example, the first three party members are all magic casters; the only one combat fighter is Crest, the protag, and I can only control him. So if there are enemies appearing on the both end of the 2D battlefield, I need to run front and back to protect all three of them. In addition, one particular dungeon has an interesting mechanic by using rope to go up and down but the game don't really tell the players how to use it. The skit system is also not mature yet so they can only be triggered on the world map but not field map. I have been playing modern games lately so my mindset definitely needs a switch when it comes to some old (not necessarily outdated) design choices.

Game is still great and character interactions are very funny. I am loving it.

Last edited:

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Still playing Days Gone, I'm guessing I'm close enough to the end to finish it this week.
It's been on my list forever, and I picked it up around the $10ish mark sometime in the past few months on Steam... but the supposed length of the game is really putting me off from starting it :loudly-crying-face:

I had finished up Vampire Survivors before the end of the year and was looking for something similar to scratch that itch, so I started and finished Holocure (on itch) in the past week or so. I had heard good things about it, and I know literally zero about VTubers or whatever, but it's a lot of fun! Twas worth my time and monies (.......it's free). Next up... I'm thinking a visual novel..

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
  • Disney Dreamlight Valley – still on that mostly & mainly :)
  • Zachtronics Solitaire – in addition to my mainstays Shenzhen Solitaire and Sawayama Solitaire, Ive been also playing Kabufuda Solitaire, Proletariats Patience and Cluj Solitaire recently.
  • Kena – having not played it for a while I dont know what the heck I need to do next. Thats why you shouldnt play games like me ;P
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising – since that doesnt like with my system (LInux+nvidia; the current drivers dont work with Ubisofts Anvil engine), I had to boot up my old Windows machine for it. Following only the main quest, we'll see if/when the usual Ubigrind starts
  • Bloodborne – via PS Plus cloud streaming but its rough! Getting the app to work on LInux took some time, but it runs now. On either system (also played it on my Windows machine) the 30FPS lock in that game is just ...not great. I would love to play it properly...as a PC port.
  • Blacktail – I also have no clue what to do next. Dont play game like I do.
  • Asterigos, Steelrising, Plague Tale, Gotham Knight, AC Valhalla, Sekiro, HItman 3, Forza Horizon 4, Sword and Fairy 7, The Uncertain: Light at the End are all on the list of things to play

runs away screaming insanely because too many games

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
It's been on my list forever, and I picked it up around the $10ish mark sometime in the past few months on Steam... but the supposed length of the game is really putting me off from starting it :loudly-crying-face:
Well, I just finished the story and looks I have clocked about 71 hours into it. :rip:
I'm probably going to poke at a few things here and there, could still defeat all the hordes and such, but we'll see. I was initially kind of sort of planning to maybe getting a full 100% completion, but turns out that when I glanced at the a trophy guide that said it was easy, it didn't include any of the dlc achievements. Which is like, play the game again in new game +, and play the game again in survival mode.
No thanks!

Not sure what to pick up as my next main game yet. :thinking-face:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Still playing Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

The writing is so bad. It feels like the characters are responding to a completely different conversation sometimes. Or they will just randomly respond to something that was said earlier. The voice acting just makes it even worse. I arrived at a new town and was greeted by a dwarven guard with a high pitched, campy voice.

I think Solasta would've been a better game without voice acting. They could've limited it to just the barks, which would've allowed them to have more variety of voice sets. Currently there are 2 per gender and 1 non-binary that is shared. The non-binary one just sounds like a slightly younger man which works for my bard, but the other 2 voice sets both sound very similar to each other and are very formal sounding, older British people. Great for wizards, and little else.

Anyway, the actual gameplay is very fun.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Bloodborne – via PS Plus cloud streaming but its rough! Getting the app to work on LInux took some time, but it runs now. On either system (also played it on my Windows machine) the 30FPS lock in that game is just ...not great.
That's interesting.

Did you play with a controller or M+K? Last time I tried it (long ago), I got the impression that M+K is not supported at all, which is a showstopper for me (unless there are external tools to bypass that limitation)

edit: speaking of such tools generally, something that I've not been able to find a replacement for on Linux is Auto Hot Key.

I would love to play it properly...as a PC port.
Ditto :cryblob:

Steelrising
I've passed over that one through two sales now, though it looks interesting, because 1° performance was horrid at launch and 2° it didn't work on Linux at all. Recent reports on protondb indicate that 2° at least might have changed. If you do play it, I'm interested to hear about how well it behaves on Proton.

Regarding Steam on Linux; Ever since the upgrade to Linux kernel 6.x, when steam starts itself or a game, the system stutters -- for instance the mouse pointer is locked in place for a second or so, a few times, until it goes back to normal. If you're on 6.x, have observed the same? (cfg: 5900x+3070 on EOS(Arch))

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I'm closing in on the end of Serious Sam 4 (12/15 levels so far). Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but I think it's a better game than 1stE, 2ndE, 2, and 3BFE. It's still definitely got some of that Serious Sam Tedium™ from time to time, but it feels like there's less of it than the older games, and I appreciate that. Also, the chainsaw rocket launcher is amazing.

I'm also a decent ways into Curse Crackers, a platformer with a Gameboy aesthetic. It has a bunch of fancy movement techniques that let you just shmove around. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Last thing I've got going right now is Tales from Off-Peak City Vol. 1. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm loving it so far. It's by Cosmo D, an indie dev who made Off-Peak and The Norwood Suite. His games all have these vibrant, jazzy soundscapes, and Tales from Off-Peak City nails that aspect of the game. It's not much to look at, but it's so pleasant to hear all these tunes weaving in and out as you wander around.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
That's interesting.

Did you play with a controller or M+K? Last time I tried it (long ago), I got the impression that M+K is not supported at all, which is a showstopper for me (unless there are external tools to bypass that limitation)

edit: speaking of such tools generally, something that I've not been able to find a replacement for on Linux is Auto Hot Key.

Ditto :cryblob:

I've passed over that one through two sales now, though it looks interesting, because 1° performance was horrid at launch and 2° it didn't work on Linux at all. Recent reports on protondb indicate that 2° at least might have changed. If you do play it, I'm interested to hear about how well it behaves on Proton.

Regarding Steam on Linux; Ever since the upgrade to Linux kernel 6.x, when steam starts itself or a game, the system stutters -- for instance the mouse pointer is locked in place for a second or so, a few times, until it goes back to normal. If you're on 6.x, have observed the same? (cfg: 5900x+3070 on EOS(Arch))
Yep, M+K is completely unsupported in-game, you can use them in the app menu only. I played with my Xbox One controller, which works fine but the prompts can be confusing (I used to have a DualShock so its not unfamiliar) but its mostly fine.

I used to play a large portion of Horizon via PSNow before the PC release of that game and used ReWASD to emulate a controller because I generally dont like controllers, and I already started to get annoyed with the controller in Bloodborne, too. Thats a Windows software tho, and I also dont know a Linux alternative. I thought I could just use SteamInput since I installed the app via Steam, but that didnt work for some reason.

~

Steelrising worked ok for me on Linux so far, but its performance isnt great. Granted I only played half an hour so far.

~

I am on Linux 6.1.1, Manjaro + KDE, with an nvidia 3060 Mobile GPU coupled with a Ryzen 5 5600H CPU; I havent had these system stutter/mouse pointer lock issues so far.... until I noticed it just now when I started Steam, but it was a very minor stutter.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I started High on Life this week after finishing Highway Blossoms over the weekend.

Played for about 20 minutes before dinner and I enjoyed what I played so far. My partner doesn’t like the Justin Roiland humour much so I’ll try to play when she isn’t in the living room, but I should be done within the week.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3 over the weekend. That's 144 hours according to my clear save. Although I didn't complete the entire sidequests and superbosses. Overall, I enjoyed the character interaction and development, but the ending isn't nearly as satisfying as the former two games.

This week, I'm continuing with Yakuza 4. The story so far is definitely more interesting than Yakuza 3. Apparently I spent untold hours already in the Fighter Maker minigame lmao. :flare_lmao:

I also started a replay of Persona 3 FES, this time with mods. It's been years since I've seen this game, but the presentation is certainly showing its age. It's not a big deal, though. Although Tartarus is still as uninspired as I remembered it. :flare_utawaku:

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Good people on MC, I need to confess a sin I committed.

I installed BanG Dream on the phone:oofblob:

Not going to spend money on it I swear! Because I have already spent money on its figures.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I don't think anything will come of this... I am really bad at videogames and easily frustrated! But, I bought it on launch, and recently read 2 threads on Era about giving it a second chance... and well, here I am.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Modded Sims 4
Modded Oblivion
Modded Skyrim
Modded Fallout 4

oh and Modded Morrowind like M.O.I.S.E and YAJAN

Here comes Niko!

Also a game i forgot the name of that is a cutesy 2D pixel art game where you've crashed on a planet and go around finding parts for your ship, helping people and harvesting everything in sight to get upgrade materials.
( Edit: I am at home now and it's called Lost Nova )

Lego City: Undercover on the Deck

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Time Loader, really good puzzle platformer. Surprised I'd never heard of it until the bundle a few days ago.

Already a good 20 hours into Inquisitor - Martyr. Enjoying it a lot, playing a ranged crusader that melts everything with his multi-melta and of course constantly on the watch for:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Wouldn't you know it

Persona 5 Royal - Getting further slowly, but surely, I might actually be able to finish it within the next month haha
Zachtronics Solitaire Collection - Just putting around.
Disney Dreamlight - Still trying to finish up the Winter event, but likely will not make it
Neural Cloud (Mobile) - Good time waster at work, I have almost cleared most of what is available for content, just working on endless exploration stuff.

I am getting One Piece and I picked up Cotton Rock n' Roll, unsure when I will start them, but likely at least install and boot them up.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Been playing through the new Patch 6.3 content of FFXIV, finished the MSQs and new Alliance Raid which I both really enjoyed.

I'm probably gonna start Ara Fell later this week because I kinda want to ease myself in with turn-based JRPGs again, since I'm planning to go through the FF Pixel Remasters this year. It's been ages since I sat down and finished one.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Finished the campaign of Warhammer 40k - Inquisitor - Martyr - etc... Got some DLC missions to finish up. Moved on to Cygnus Enterprises. Hard to describe, a bit ARPG, a bit base building, a bit survival, a bit RTS, a bit story...

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
still playing Trails of Cold Steel IV and the Ace Attorney Trilogy

finished act 1 in Cold Steel IV and while i'm not burned out on it in general this time around after not touching the series for a year and a half and can enjoy it for what it is I still definitely feel like 4 games in the setting is too much, these games are mostly pretty formulaic in structure and when you spend that much time in an arc it makes where the seams of that are so much more notifiable to the point where it's a feeling I have to actively push past

near the end of the 3rd case in the first Ace Attorney game and I kind of feel the opposite way about the structure of that at the moment(in that the structure is actively helping because it's something I wouldn't want to play for multiple hours in one sitting but the way it's structured is perfect for playing a half hour or so at a time here and there and having a good time with it for a bit)

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I'm trying the Helheim trials on GoW, and I cannot stop until they are all done. I'm not going to continue on with the story until i'm finished...:steam_pig_crylaughing:

• Toucan
Reactions: Cacher