Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 23 of 2024)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Finally returned from my trip. I continue playing Ace Attorney 6 and finished Case 4. It was a fun deviation from the main story. Now entering the latter half of the final case. Let's see if I can finish the game within the week.

I also re-started One Piece Odyssey. Got the game during winter sale last year and played it a bit, but I have forgot nearly everything about it so now restarted the game. The developers did a great job to create the feeling of One Piece in videogame form, and the game is just so pleasant to the eyes. Just got to Arabasta. Being able to see Going Merry again is such a great surprise. That moment honestly made me a bit emotional and I can imagine that many One Piece fans around the world would feel the same. Bravo.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I said I want to take a break from Trails and I guess I did, but just for (less than) two weeks.

I started playing Trails into Reverie, and so far I really like it.
The subtle QoL improvements and new gameplay systems vis-a-vis ToCS4 are great, and so are the improved cutscene animations. I like the story structure (so far, 9 hours in) a lot more than the start of ToCS4 -- the multi-protagonist setup makes it more varied, and I enjoy the new characters in Team C.

Oh, and it's great to be back to a PC port that is up to modern PH3 standards. ToCS 3 and 4 are certainly pretty good by general JRPG port standards, but not compared to what we've been doing more recently :p

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I started playing Trails into Reverie, and so far I really like it.
Have you checked out the new SenPatcher? It has some nice new features. :flare_smirk:

Feature Set for Trails into Reverie
  • Option to fix a bug that causes incorrect music playback when you switch areas too quickly.
  • Option to disable the mouse being captured by the game and its movement being used for the game camera.
  • Option to remove the 30 FPS limit when the game is in the background.

Note: Compatible with version 1.1.4 of the game only.

Reactions: d00d3n

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm nearly done with Yooka Laylee impossible lair. The difficulty spike is pretty harsh on the impossible lair itself.
It also does one of the things I really hate in games where the game kind of teaches you to play certain way for 99% of its runtime, only to basically demand something else in the last level. Which is to say that not being able to use tonics at all in the last level is kind of ass. And it doesn't seem like there's any in-game justification for it either, at least one that I saw. They just don't work in this particular book/level, because fuck you that's why.

Another thing is that it's perhaps not the most responsive and snappy feeling game. It's not bad in that it's unplayable or anything and I haven't really felt that I died because of the controls. So I haven't been too bothered by it, if the game doesn't demand super duper precision, I don't really care is the controls feel a bit mushy. But then that also changed in the Impossible Lair, it kind of feels like a level that should be in some other game with the instant death pits and spikes everywhere.

I'll still finish it of course, but it's kind of souring me on otherwise enjoyable experience to be honest. Soundtrack's still great though, they can't take that away from me.

No idea what to play after it though.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I dropped Assassin's Creed Odyssey after 50 hours due to burnout and dropped Stellar Blade after two hours due to boredom. I played some Hitman 3 because there's nothing I care to play right now and the release calendar for the rest of 2024 looks dry outside of the Elden Ring DLC and Metaphor.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Same as last week — Cyberpunk.

Word of advice; dont make the same mistake I made: if you just want to open up the new DLC area, better commit to a fairly long (2-3 hrs) linear "intro" questchain that doesnt let you roam free. I hope the rest of the DLC is better than that slog was 😬

(I hate it when open world games do this: at least warn me that I wont get out of it for quite a while.)

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I just played four hours of the metroidvania game Nine Sols:

I am very impressed!

It seemed obvious from the very beginning that the game would be able to deliver quality graphics in a hand drawn style, which it absolutely does. Very early in the game, expectations of a traditional metroidvania story setup are subverted by unexpected plot twists, leading into quite captivating world building and story content that is good for the genre. Then it turns out that the gameplay is pretty great. The combat system is a soulslike system with great rewards for people willing to learn the parry system, but you can get by with ambushing, brute forcing, dodging, and applying special skills in various situations as well. I do not parry in the Dark Souls games and never loved Sekiro due to the focus on unforgivingly difficult parrying, but I tend to parry in this game due to good telegraphing of enemy attacks and good balancing of the risks and rewards of parrying. Exploration has been open ended and often quite tense in the best possible way, due to sparse placement of respawning points, in a way that reminded me of the original Demon's Souls.

The only problem with the game I could point to is an interface issue that should be fixable. When browsing shop lists, the information shown for the selected item inexplicably lags behind when you move up or down the list, for no good reason. The game is not verified for Steam Deck, but works great on my Steam Deck OLED, although I could easily increase the sub HD default resolution to 72op while maintaining a perfectly solid frame rate.

I am looking forward to making serious progress in the game during our national holiday in Sweden in one more day, but I can already easily recommend the game for fans of the metroidvania genre.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I installed a Hard Difficulty mod on One Piece Odyssey, and the game is so much fun to play with it. I adore the opening hours without the mod but now I LOVE it. This difficulty mod, graphic mod and the increasing running speed turns an otherwise fun game into a must-play to all One Piece fans.

Reactions: d00d3n

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Same as last week — Cyberpunk.

Word of advice; dont make the same mistake I made: if you just want to open up the new DLC area, better commit to a fairly long (2-3 hrs) linear "intro" questchain that doesnt let you roam free. I hope the rest of the DLC is better than that slog was 😬

(I hate it when open world games do this: at least warn me that I wont get out of it for quite a while.)
the start of the dlc was the weakest part of cyberpunk to me, that sequence leading into lootboxes falling from the sky... felt like playing a different game and not in a good way

• This!
Reactions: d00d3n and LEANIJA