Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 24 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing during all these showcases?

Tears of the Kingdom. Alice Gear Aegis. Gears Tactics. Gears of War Ultimate Edition. That's all.

Too hyped to even type proper impressions. See you people on the other side.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Still going through zelda for the most part. The game never ends...

I'm trying to put a little time into SF6 world tour when I can but I really want to clear up zelda before FF comes out.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
bit of a mixed bag for me; a bit of this and a bit of that currently:

Army of Ruin (as linked by lashman , & thanks for the tip) – neat! a fun survivors-like, well done, gonna play more of that
Dragons Dogma – as DD2 is gonna be in the Capcom show today(?), I figured I check the first game out. Quite good!
Lies of P (demo) – its a very good souls-like so far; I hope the final game holds up.
Amnesia: The Bunker – I am not really feeling the main mechanics yet, unsure if Im in the mood for this kind of game right now. I dont get scared by these games, so they just become tedious quickly, unfortunately. Any invincible monster that constantly hunts you becomes more of a nuisance to me than a spooky threat.
Street Fighter 6 – have been playing the open world game a bit, its nice :)
The Last of Us – reinstalled it because I wanted to see if it runs ok on Linux now, but I think it runs worse ;) It most likely is better on Windows, but I havent switched my Windows PC on for a while ;)
System Shock – off to a neat start!
Arkanoid: Eternal Battle – the multiplayer part of it got boring after 10 minutes, but the classic game is nice; although the presentation in this game is a bit weird, you have the constant arcade cabinet visible... still, Arkanoid is always fun to play.
Boltgun – good shooter, until the difficulty rollercoaster gets annoying ;) its great for a couple hours, tho
Cynthia: Hidden in the Moonshadow – i think this is an indie BOTW-like; it was nice for a bit
LOTR War in the North – good action RPG that holds up well
Far Cry 6 – its a Far Cry game

And as with everything, I play for 30–60 minutes and then stop, and play or do something else; and cant really just play through one thing; unless its something that totally grabs me, like most recently RE4 remake. Ah well. It is what it is.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
And as with everything, I play for 30–60 minutes and then stop, and play or do something else; and cant really just play through one thing; unless its something that totally grabs me, like most recently RE4 remake. Ah well. It is what it is.
I’m the same exact way.

Even at times when a game is great, I’ll still be ready to shut it off, and switch to something else.
It’s rare for a game to grab my full attention all the way through.

Reactions: Cacher and LEANIJA

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Alone in the Dark Prologue: A nothing demo really, better off watching it on youtube, a few minutes of walking simulator and a trailer. not worth the 16gb of download unless you're a fan or something.

Planet of Lana, finished it. Pretty nice game overall with little to no puzzle. Good graphics and cute characters. Play it if you like limbo type of game.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows: Played 15 minutes before steam revoked the licensed, jank low budget ue3 action game from what I can tell. Spend most of my time getting it to work at 4K resolution.

The Last of Us Part 1, finished it. Depressing but riveting story, the best gameplay naughty dog ps3 era onwards that I've played which is still mediocre, especially after playing RE4R. All in all it was okay. Got me watching the tv series too. Nice to see they give some characters a more happy ending there, and the casting is spot on.

En Garde! Demo. Swashbuckler action game with Arkham style combat, kinda fun I guess. If the pricing is right I'll get it.

Iron Meat Demo. Cool modern Contra clone. Will buy.

Shadow Warrior 3, fnished it. The we have Doom Eternal at home game. Get it for cheap IMO. Combat is fine but not satisfying enough. Grappling hook system is pretty jank.

Dark Light, just starting a new game. Bought it awhile ago after liking the demo and waiting for the major update. So far it's pretty cool.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started (again) and finished Paradise Lost.
The main core of the story is super predictable, at least if you read some of the in-game documents that are scattered about. Some of the stuff around it could have been interesting, but it doesn't really deliver.
The big downsides are that your character moves really slow, like I can't believe how slow. Technically there's run, but it's such a small change in speed that it might as well not be there. And for a walking sim, it doesn't really have a ton of stuff to look at and poke at. It really sucks to go and explore a location and there's like a teacup you can look at in your hand and nothing else, and then you have to walk back... slowly. Plus it does a pretty dumb thing close to the end where you basically have electricity to open 2 of 3 doors, and all 3 rooms contain lore about the world, the game and the characters. Like, why do that? Why not give me the option to read it all? If they are expecting me to play the game again to access that one room, nah son. Because in addition to the slow movement speed, you also can't skip any of the dialogue it seems. Maybe with cheatengine speedhack it could be bearable, but at that point might as well look at the videos of different endings and the contents of that one room from a youtube video (which I did). :shrugblob:

Not sure what to play next.

Reactions: Stevey and Cacher

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Been trying out last week's Choice arrivals.
GhostWire Tokyo is... aggressively mid. The setting is interesting and it had some cool setpieces, but overall it's a bit bland.

Remnant: From the Ashes is quite enjoyable. The gameplay feels very good and getting new gear and passives and upgrading is fun. It's a very interesting mix of linear narrative + prodecdural generation + "looter shooter" but with all gear being unique.

GRIME is probably my favorite of them so far. The world and aesthetcis are fascinatingly weird and gameplay is satisfying. The parry/absorb is a fun mechanic and the bosses have been excellent. It's one of these games where it does take a couple of abilities and upgrades until things "click" though, at least for me.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
I no-lifed the Diablo IV campaign this weekend (extended weekend in my town, Monday off too) and now I'm slowly gearing towards the endgame stuff. Level 51 so there's still a long way to go before switching to Tier 4. I've had a lot of fun with the campaign.

And today starts the new OW2 season but I'm quite disappointed in that lately.

Reactions: Stevey and Cacher

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I'm playing Bastion.

I initially played it on browser back in 2012 on Chrome app store, at least the first 2-3 areas of intro.

11 years later, I see it as a cute indie game. The narration is great (if slightly overdone), the combat is nice but clearly needs more cooking, and soundtrack while great isn't as mixed nicely.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I've been playing and still loving Final Fantasy XV. I keep being told it's only a matter of time 'til the characters wear me out, but I'm enjoying the gameplay and the camaraderie a lot!

Reactions: Cacher

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Playing some post-campaign Everspace 2 still, it's fun but the scaling is wonky at level 29 out of 30, and also the economy is super duper ultra slow if you want to buy the different ship classes. I have 2 not highest tier ones and that's after 50 hours in the game.

Started Diablo 4, the writing is certainly leagues better than 3 but I'm not convinced the gameplay is better. It seems very cooldown-centric like MMOs which maybe isn't surprising, but it's less dynamic than 3 was certainly. Also the respec having a cost means you feel discouraged from varying up your playstyle day to day as you level up.

Almost have the last achievements in Army of Ruin but the final ones are just so grindy, like 1-per-30-minute-run grindy and I have 15 left -_-

Edit: Oh, did the whole No Man's Sky Singularity expedition, was fun. A lot more straightforward AND do-it-your-own-way than the other ones I've done.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher