Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 31 of 2024)

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Installed and played Watch Dogs 2 during the week. The game is still gorgeous and demanding to run after all these years. Unfortunately my gaming mood is low so I did not play much. I may continue the break from videogames for a few weeks more so that I can re-adjust my brain a bit.

Dec 5, 2018
Crash 4: I give up on trying to 100% the game between some conditions and having to redo all levels in mirrored mode it feels like a chore. Still a fun game

Dicey Dungeons: Completed a couple more chapters. I'm starting to get the hang of it (still at the mercy of the RNG gods, tho).

Bravely Default II: Started the game, not sure what to make about it yet.

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Star Ocean The Second Story R: To estimate, based on my experience, I'd say you need to know about 6,000 words to fluently read this game in Spanish. Knowing far fewer words than that, I had to commute to the end of this game on the struggle bus. But I made it! I beat the game. My Spanish reading is noticeably improved.

I was obsessed with this game as a kid, and I was again obsessed with it as an adult. This game holds up for me, and the many Quality of Life additions go a long way. Although, I wouldn't recommend the game, as its appeal is likely quite niche. It's a strange hybrid of an action JRPG and a clicker game's "tech tree" progression. To boil it down, instead of only like 8 stats that level automatically, your characters have around an additional 50 supplementary stats that you must allocate level up points to manually, which then unlock and improve some 30 odd specialities, which you can actual engage in to affect the game.

This ranges from necessary prep work to plow through the game's difficulty spikes, to being able to break the game entirely. You can do things like become a millionaire, world-reknowned book publisher, automate grinding for XP, or picketpocket your own teammates for equipment that you then force them to wear. Why are you carrying around this amazing cuirass in your pockets intead of wearing it, Bruce!? We're due to fight another enormous fire-breathing salamander in 10 minutes, get your head out of your ass and in to the game, Bruce!!

I accidentally made one of my characters immortal and they were able to solo the most difficult super bosses in the game on the highest difficulty. I literally never saw his health bar decrease by a hair, not even a single time. I'm still uncertain of how that happened.

The post-game dungeon is the most well designed dungeon in the game, what the hell? Instead of the bog-standard, traditional hallways with monsters in it design that makes up the game's dungeons: this one has interesting one-off mechanics, cute puzzles and themed floors. Why would the devs have spent so much effort on the dungeon that will be seen by the least players? Also, this gigantic dungeon would have sucked balls with random encounters. I'm glad I didn't know this dungeon existed when I was a kid.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Star Ocean The Second Story R: To estimate, based on my experience, I'd say you need to know about 6,000 words to fluently read this game in Spanish. Knowing far fewer words than that, I had to commute to the end of this game on the struggle bus. But I made it! I beat the game. My Spanish reading is noticeably improved.
Glad to hear that you have enjoyed and finished the game. Learning a new language through RPG is great. Mass Effect and Fallout greatly improved my English, and during adulthood JRPGs helped me get through the otherwise painful study of Japanese. I still have those notebook where I wrote down every new vocabulary encountered during playthroughs. :coffee-blob:

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
About half way through my first Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions playthrough. This is probably the most fun I've had playing a Spider-Man game, even with the jank swinging system and bad camera. The set pieces and graphics still holds up very well, bosses are multi part and for the most part fun to fight against. While the Noir stealth levels are a nice change of pace, I still feel it's the weakest of the four.

I like the bite-size levels catered to each villain. It's a very direct storyline and I'm fine with that. Sometimes I don't need to know every detail of a comic book villain and their inner monologue audio diaries to fight them as Spider-Man.

Too bad is a bad pc port. Have had levels just straight up freeze on loading, and the game freezes on start if I push a button too fast, wth. But at least it's got 60 fps and can be SGSSAA forced. Although the 60fps part can feel sluggish at times even when frametime is flat accoridng to rtss.

Last edited:
OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
In the OP I said my gaming mood is bad and I should take a break from gaming... well Watch Dogs 2 just clicked. I enjoyed WD1 a lot so no wonder I find WD2 fun as well. So far the game seems to be a vast improvement from WD1 with many hacking options available. Also it is interesting that they did away the Ubisoft tower design here. The progression feels more organic here and I like this design change.

Reactions: einstellung

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Glad to hear that you have enjoyed and finished the game. Learning a new language through RPG is great. Mass Effect and Fallout greatly improved my English, and during adulthood JRPGs helped me get through the otherwise painful study of Japanese. I still have those notebook where I wrote down every new vocabulary encountered during playthroughs. :coffee-blob:
Yeah, it was intimidating and sometimes exhausting, but seems like it was worth the effort. The underlying game being one of my favorites helped a lot. I worry often that I choose learning content that's too difficult for me and thus is a waste of effort. But I guess now that I've invested all this time, I have no other choice but to capitalize. I'm going to start reading easy books from my library's Spanish section.

How tall is your stack of notebooks?

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher
OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah, it was intimidating and sometimes exhausting, but seems like it was worth the effort. The underlying game being one of my favorites helped a lot. I worry often that I choose learning content that's too difficult for me and thus is a waste of effort. But I guess now that I've invested all this time, I have no other choice but to capitalize. I'm going to start reading easy books from my library's Spanish section.

How tall is your stack of notebooks?
Nice! Just four notebooks. Not too many. Haven't kept learning like this for years because I later went to Japan to work. Now I want to pick up a new language to learn but haven't decided on anything yet.

Reactions: einstellung