Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 32 of 2024)

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Watch Dogs 2: the game clicked last week and I am having fun. In WD1 I always tried to be as stealthy as possible so I am doing the same here. Meanwhile, I feel like this one is more difficult than WD1? All enemies have insane eyesight. Shooting someone always reveals my location instantly.

I also started playing Nights of Azure. Just finished chapter 1. So far so good. Need to play more before forming opinion on it.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
LEGO Movie game. Finished the story mode, cleaned up a few weird achievements and closing in on 100% completion.

New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Watch Dogs 2: the game clicks last week and I am having fun. In WD1 I always tried to be as stealthy as possible so I am doing the same here. Meanwhile, I feel like this one is more difficult than WD1? All enemies have insane eyesight. Shooting someone always reveals my location instantly.
I need to play Watch Dogs 2 at some point.

Before Ubi does something stupid again and it stops working or something, you never know with Ubisoft at this point.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
ARMA 3. Been playing the single player campaign. Is good fun. I did run through it a few years ago but its much better now with a decent PC to run it at a reasonable frame rate.

I play with a controller (don't laugh). I've mapped the 50+ commands to an incredibly complicated controller config using Steam Input (which is amazing). Each button has about 3 different things mapped to it. It does mean that sometimes I round in on an enemy and end up unloading my weapon and giving him a salute before opening my inventory. Not quite the effective fighting machine I'm supposed to be but I'm having fun and doing it my way.

Now playing through the Contact campaign which i never did before. Its interesting. Different feel to it but still engaging.

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Deceive Inc.: I enjoy stupid multiplayer shooters that are underappreciated, left with a tiny playerbase (I liked the accursed wretch, Battleborn). It's been pretty fun with bots, and still fun with the good players after I left the bot pools. Sometimes the match quality is terrible, sometimes it's quite intense, and a fun, close match.

Had a couple matches end with me and the other final contender offing each other simultaneously and no one winning. Had a few very authentic spy moments where my detection gagdets warned of a back attack while we were neck deep in a vault. "Shit, we're blown!"

I'm not sure whether the devs wanted it to be a spy game filled with deception or a sweaty shooter. The way it seems to have shaken out is the latter. I suppose that it's a convoluted team Battle Royale, but with a slapstick spy-games atmosphere instead of the usual dour stuff. I'm glad I tried it before the playerbase dwindled too much and the game died.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League: I mooched this from someone else. It's like Saint's Row 4 and a half. I like trying to headshot goons with a revolver as I fall 30 stories as Harley or Boomerang Hobo. I have a hard time following the plot because I'm constantly thinking, "wow, this looks like it was expensive!" The cutscenes look bonkers good. The in-game image quality is either really soft with DLSS or extremely aliased at native, so I injected contrast adaptive sharpening with ReShade--and used DLSS.

Star Ocean the Second Story R: This game has dual protagonists, with exclusive party members and stories scenes behind each. I'll be reviewing my flashcards, then doing a second playthrough in another month or so with the other character for more Spanish practice.

Last edited:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have started playing World of Goo 2 (bought PC version through the official game web page), which has frankly been quite disappointing. Feels like a quality DLC pack from the original game, but that was one of the best games ever. Is this all they have to show sixteen years later? Then maybe don't do a sequel ...

OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Watch Dogs 2 is fun. Found a heavily-guarded gang stronghold? Made an APB to the cops. Cops arrived and two parties started gun blazing while I just sit in the car and watched the show through surveillance cameras. Interrupted a few reinforcement calls, too. After the gun fight is over, I just walked in and grabbed the goods.

That was satisfying.

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Watch Dogs 2's multiplayer hide-and-seek mode is quite fun, you should give that a try, if you can still get matches for it.

WD2 is my favorite GTA game. I've grown tired of GTA, but WD2 was a breath of fresh air. (Haven't played WD1 or 3)

Reactions: Cacher and LEANIJA

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland

For some reason screenshot button wasn't working on Steam today so I had to take a pic with a camera like some pleb. Haven't tested if it's the game or my Steam in general, but anyway.

Surge 2 actually allows you to "level up" your lower level/not constructed gear when comparing it to your current gear so you don't have to wiki it or waste resources.
Revolutionary.
It also has loadouts, also very useful.
The level layout also has been pretty good in general. It's not one single world, but like 5 or so zones, but the connectivity, shortcuts and all that stuff is pretty decent within every zone.
Combat is pretty interesting in that it's not just scifi Souls. Like the whole dismemberment thing to get armor parts and instead of light and heavy attacks it's vertical and horizontal attack, which also means enemy attacks are directional and that means directional parries. You also have a drone with some ranged options.
Some of this was probably in the first game too but it's been too long that I forget exactly what is new. But as a whole it's an interesting system I think.

Also amusingly (Surge 2 and Lords of the Fallen 2 spoilers)...
Warren, the main guy from Surge 1 is in the game. And they hide his identity early on. Warren was kind of a nothing character in the first game.
It's a weird LotF2 parallel with LotF main meathead Harkyn.
We'll see if his fate is the same.